4.3

on 4/26/2016 3:41:00 PM

Purchased an Ora derma roller from a discount site. Have only used it twice, but I wanted to write a review to let people know it's really not as painful and scary as it sounds. I do not use a numbing cream and I do not use a lot of force when rolling. It does leave my face and neck a little bright pink/red and slightly stingy, but no more so than a day at the beach (Irish skin, even with sunblock). In fact it feels kind of nice and warm and relaxing once I'm done rolling. The pink/red skin doesn't last more than an hour or so. The first time I used it was a Sunday and then the following Tuesday with no ill effect. Cannot comment yet as to the benefits, of course, but it's not nearly as painful as one might think. Also did not use any moisturizer or serum on my face before or after.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Please note that anything over 1.0 or 1.5 should only be used by a professional as it can cause even more damage to the skin.
1.0 should be used for deeper scars and is recommended only once a month to allow your skin to repair properly and go through its cycle of rejuvenation.
You can use it as a more aggressive once monthly treatment then at 2weeks a very light rolling on problem areas only. Repeat this treatment plan for at least 6months for best results. Use only 2x monthly once your skin has become acclimated to it and if your skin can handle it.
You should NEVER use anything above .75 more than once a week!
.25 can be used every two days and is not for scars or wrinkles but to help get the most out of your skincare products. You can start to use once a day if your skin can tolerate it.
.50 Once weekly -scars, slight wrinkles, sun damage.
.75 once a month or every two weeks if your skin can tolerate. -hyperpigmentation, fine lines, scars
1.0 Once monthly - For Deep wrinkles, scars, stretch marks, ice pick scars etc.

Here is a great site with a video that demonstrates how to properly use your derma roller.

Did another treatment 4/13/16.
This one was much more intense and left my skin red.
Last time I do not feel I applied enough pressure so this time I used more pressure and went over each area more than before. I also went over my neck 5x each area. I should have done more but I had enough torture for one night lol.
UPDATE 5/11/16
My skin is looking much more even toned and my scars are not as deep. They are still there but they are slowly looking better. I feel like my complexion overall is better and my skin looks a bit more plump. I do think it may work better if I purchased one of those stamping
?wands/roller? since it will be easier to concentrate it on a specified area.
Overall I am pretty happy. Wish it worked faster but I guess the results are coming in much faster and are actually noticeable compared to using just skincare products and hoping for the best.
I do apply a vitamin c serum after and I also apply my MSM cream to my main problematic areas.
----I also wanted to quickly note that the days following my second and third treatments my skin is slightly red, and looks worse then before I started.
Then as the skin repairs itself within a few days or at least within a week that is when it goes back to normal. By 30days my skin looks much better and that is when I can notice a difference in my skin and how much better it is looking.
It really is starting to help the deep scars and discoloration, you just need to give it some time.

on 2/29/2016 9:48:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I am 42 with 20+ year old acne scars that are some red and some pitted. my left cheek is worse. so pitted and becoming wavy like/cottage cheese,"rolling" scars due to age, time in sun, loss of collagen. they are old scars turned worse! with weight loss and weight gain in cycles.

I bought this MT brand and 1.5 length of needles
it hurts like hell but I do not press hard enough to bleed as many say to do
I turn hot pink and I think that's good enough!
I roll straight up and down then sideways then diagonal
5 rolls each time 3 methods so 15 (includes backwards roll)

and my skin the next day is TIGHTER because its firming! I look better after use.
I didn't the first time I tried it because I mist have been using too many other products at the same time. or just the wrong products. you will have to play with it in your routine to see.
I use retin a and acid peels and so many things that all I know is my first experience with it months ago was not good and it seemed to make the scars worse.
I also am not famous for allowing the downtime or healtime. I make quick judgements and give up quick.

for me what I keep learning is an opposite thing to what weve been told. and I see now more derms are realizing this as well(especially for oily skin)
and that is this
after you INJURE your skin in your attempts to make it look better.,such as with dermal roller and peels.. do NOT use oils and moisturizers etc afterwards
let it dry with NOTHING on it.. anything that makes skin moist.. and it will not dry and heal properly
before it was said after a tca peel for example to apply Neosporin (Vaseline based) now they are saying opposite.. and I MYSELF have found superb results by the injure heal method and putting NOTHING on after. for then I get the tightness I wanted and moisture will impede results. even peels scab off /peel off better if left to dry..
so I used it before with bad results as I used cream after.
used nothing and can SEE results.
so I used it before bed...
I know we all like to wear some kind of treatment each night to bed.. but just the ONE night you use this just don't and see what happens.
the rest of the week you can use your other treatments as usual
I woke up to a nice tight results pitted scars much less visible. I want it to GROW back that way and moisture makes skin "soggy" and "move" basically keeps it in same bad shape it was in
I use it on cleansed dried skin and after use I rinse in hottest water and pour some rubbing alcohol on it from dollar store..then rinse again in hot water and place in the storage tray it came with
mt roller is metal and was only $6 free shipping. it has a clear plastic handle and a mint greenish blue ish head and metal spikes.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have to say, I was a little skeptical at first, but after researching the science behind it, it made perfect sense. I have been using it once a month (2 mm) for about 8 months and have seen a significant difference in my skin. I had deep scars from a previous skin infection, severe hyperpigmentation (melasma) from birth control pills, and mild wrinkles (I'm 37). I tried several EXPENSIVE prescription creams for the hyperpigmentation, and even after months of consistent daily use, I did not see any improvement. I got a derma roller on Ebay for about $8 (.5 mm) and thought, why not?
I saw a huge improvement after about 3 months of once a week use, and gradually increased to a 2 mm. I use it once a month as advised, and have seen an even more drastic difference. The deep scarring has faded (not completely gone, but very light), the hyperpigmentation has gone from severe to mild, and I am pretty much wrinkle-free.
LADIES: FOR THIS DEVICE TO WORK, YOU NEED TO DO IT CONTINUOUSLY AND CONSISTENTLY.
The downside of this is that it is mild to moderately painful, depending on the length of the needle. I would advise anyone who uses a 1.5 mm or longer, USE A NUMBIMG CREAM FIRST (you can get 5% lidocaine on ebay for pretty cheap), because if you use this device correctly, IT WILL STING AND YOU WILL BLEED A LITTLE. If you're using a 1 mm or smaller, the redness it will cause will go away overnight for the most part. If you are using over a 1 mm, think about taking off work and hiding out in your house for about 2 days, as it will produce redness similar to a very bad sunburn. And don't try to cover it with cosmetics. This will only further irritate it and may cause infection, as this is a slightly invasive procedure. Make sure to cleanse your face twice a day for 3-4 days afterwards with a mild astringent.
THE BOTTOM LINE: THIS DEVICE WORKS-WITH PERMANENT RESULTS-BUT ONLY IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY, AND AS OFTEN AS RECOMMENDED!
I really hope this post will encourage all of you considering using it!

on 1/5/2016 3:15:00 PM

i have so much acne scaring, and now my skin has calmed down in terms of break outs.
BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME. my friend recommended and my skin has never looked better. started with 0.75 and now m onto 1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started derma rolling this past summer and just finished up my 4th session. And the results are amazing! The first 3 sessions I didn't really see lots of improvement but by the 4th all my pitted scars have improved drastically I'd say 60-70% gone. i have 1 round pitted scar that was so noticeable on my cheek and i was so self concious about it and its almost completely gone! Half of the circle filled in and the other half is almost gone. I think 2 or 3 more sessions and it'll all be gone! My skin looks smoother and more even now:) I use a 1.0 and I recommend pulling your skin taught and most important puffing up your cheeks so the derma roller can get into those pitted scars better if you dont it might not go deep enough to get them. I derma roll every 4-5 weeks. You don't want to roll when you have active acne cause if you roll over it you'll spread bacteria and get more acne. If you have lots of acne get a derma stamp

on 12/22/2015 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Did something to my skin in my forehead. Would never do this again.

I've just joined this website and wanted to share my experience with the dermaroller! I know this website is mainly for face products and I've only used the dermaroller on stretch marks on my boobs but stretch marks are scars, as are acne scarring. No, they're not exactly the same but the dermaroller works the same way on both, by inducing collagen. Also, this website is mainly for ladies, and an estimated 90% of us have stretch marks so I'm sure this review will be very helpful!

I'm not going to explain how it works because there is so much info out there, even some of the other reviews on this website explain how it induces collagen! I'm also going to skip the whole "how to" process because if you're interested, there is more than enough info online! One thing I will say because I believe it's EXTREMELY important, is to respect the down time between roles!! Do NOT use it too often or you risk damaging your skin (1mm=once every 4 weeks; 1.5mm=once every 6 weeks; 2mm=once every 8 weeks)

I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller over a year ago on my breasts which are COVERED in stretch marks from puberty. It really bothered me because I don't have big breasts by any means, I think I just developed too quickly. I've had the since the age of 13 and at around 17 I lost about 30 pounds, which means my boobs shrunk.. That wouldn't bother me except that since I literally had more scar tissue than normal skin, the skin didn't shrink accordingly and I was left with deflated, wrinkly breasts. For two years they really didn't get any better, I was expecting over time for them to resume a smoother "perkier" shape but that didn't happen. Also, for some reason the stretch marks were red since the day I got them. I've never found an answer as to why, normally they should fade to white but that never happened either..

Anyways, I researched the dermaroller for about a year before buying it and finally taking the plunge. I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller for the first two sessions then moved on to the 1.5mm dermastamp for about 8 sessions and for the last 2 sessions I've been using the 2mm dermastamp. I DEFINITELY recommend the dermastamp over the roller for scarring, it's more precise and even though it takes longer per session, the results are much better (I've read A LOT of reviews, and I'm not the only one to say this). I have also been using vitamin C serum every few days and recently started using infadolan. All of which I order through Owndoc, which I highly recommend. Products are great quality, not expensive and customer service is great. (No, I don't work for them. I'm saying this because they mention on their website that to keep prices down they don't advertise, so they rely solely on recommendations from happy customers!)

RESULTS: Incredible. Amazing. No, my stretch marks are not completely gone but the improvement is beyond what I would have thought. Patience is key though, this is a long process and I think I'll be using the dermastamp for at least another few years before I get where I want to be. At the moment though, my stretch marks are breaking up (patches of normal skin within the stretch mark) and are losing their deep red colour, now they are pink and blend in more with the skin around it. They are also shallower so they're not as "wrinkly-looking. Most importantly, now that the skin is healthier, it has tightened up and my breasts are looking perkier, despite the fact that I've lost another 5 pounds this year and they are even smaller (I'm trying to get really lean, I might just lose my boobs all together and I'd hate to have empty stretch marked flaps in their place). They look less sad and droopy now haha
I'll be honest, it's been over a year and only now I wouldn't die of embarrassment if a stranger saw my breasts in the changing room at the gym or something. I'm still not confident enough to go topless at the beach, but who knows, if I continue maybe a couple of summers from now I might!! Yes, it does take a while but if you truly want a permanent change that doesn't damage your skin and is inexpensive than this is the best way to go. The way I see it is, time is going to go by regardless of wether or not you do it, so do future-you a favor and start now (This was originally my motivation for losing weight, getting healthy and going to the gym every day.. I have to say, present-me can't thank past-me enough for thinking that way!!)
I definitely recommend this for any scarring, but do your research before and be committed if you want to see any improvements.. It's not going to happen overnight. At the same time though, it's really cool to see your skin slowly change! As with any slow changes, sometimes you don't notice them until you compare it to before, so definitely take pictures to compare!!

on 11/7/2015 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Excited for my first post on MA.

I've been a member for two years — yes, two years — and have never uttered a single word. Shame on me!

I'm a certified-closet-beauty-junkie, spending hundreds of dollars each quarter trying new things. That said, I'm by no means a dermal-champion. Quite to the contrary, I still feel like I stumble around 75% of the time — looking for Mr. Right-Product — as I jump from one product to another to try and solve the hot issue of the moment. That said, I still have the ability to show some brand loyalty — a "for lifer" product from time to time.

Derma-Rolling: I started rolling 7 months ago; twice a month with 1.0 titanium needles. Despite having used Sculptra, Juviderm, Radiesse and Botox, needles are a rough one for me. That fear started after using Radiesse prior to (their) adding Lido to the product. I would cry, not weep, but literally, ball my flip'n eyes out, during the procedure. Now that they've added Lido, it's not as effective. Go figure!

That said, I do NOT look forward to rolling. I have an existential crisis every time my calendar beeps that I'm due to ROLL. I'm a bleeder (no, I'm not a Hemophiliac, thankfully) and, yes, I'm a gross-horror-mess after rolling. The results, however, keep me rolling.

I don't have acne and never did. I roll for pigmentation, fine lines, and a bit of sagging. Did I just admit to... sagging? Moreover, my skin looks dewier post roll (7-10 days out).

I'm not promoting any one roller brand. The reason I finally jumped into MA as a "submitter of words" was my delight in reading other's reviews of the Derminator and the lessening of pain in the process.

I caved and added this item to my budget this month — and ordered it!

I don't have it yet. When I do, I'll do a full review.

So, thanks to those that spoke about that item!!! I want to continue to roll, but I find it challenging to psych myself into dinging myself with needles. (I don't use numbing creme as I'm trying to avoid nerve damage that I've read about). Yes, I'm a mild (on the scoville pepper scale) paranoid about what I put in and under my skin. Read: pretty particular with lots of research behind purchases.

Hoping that I can add some of my finds here that will help others as I was helped in making my latest purchasing decision!

on 10/22/2015 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Idek about collagen production but I have been using this for 2 months now (I bought mine off amazon for 10$) and I have to say my skin is brighter and much less dry and I have a noticeable difference. I would say though don't use this more than once a week and if you're rolling so hard you see blood, you're doing it wrong.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools