4.3

on 9/3/2011 8:39:00 AM

So I took the plunge and ordered a 1mm roller and1.5mm derma stamp from Sarah Vaughter. She is very responsive to emails and questions and her site is filled with lots of i fo and forums on derma rolling. It took 3 weeks to receive my products, so she refunded ALL my money because she has a 2week guarantee. I emailed her asking if she could check on the shipping since I had not received the products yet and within the hour all my money plus shipping was refunded back to my paypal. That was nice!

I did weeks of research on the net trying to figure out the best roller for me, tecjniques, disinfection methods. It is SO important that everyone take disinfection seriously. I have read some horror stories of staph and MRSA infections as a result of rolling, regardless of brand.

I inspected my roler and stamp and found the needles to be even and sharp. All lined up well, none were bent.

I took a long hot shower, pulled my hair back. I only chose to start out testing a part of my forehead. I am an exoressive person and that is where my wrinkles are. I used hibiclens on the skin, wiped off with warm water on fresh clean cloth, then used alcohol, which I let air dry. I had soaked the roller in 70% alcohol for 20 min. I even used cotton balls soaked in alcohol to wipe down the handle.

(I also want to note that while i was using a 1mm roller, it only goes as deep as you are willing to press. I used a very light hand, just enough pressure to slightly prick, not even drawing blood. I might as well have been using a .5 mm roller)
I started on one side of forehead with very light, almost NO pressure. I could hear a bit of that popping noise some report. It was not that painful, honestly. I lightly went over all forehead, no bleeding. Not agressive, not too much over my '11' between the eye wrinkles. Slightly red. Felt a bit like a sunburn.

Now Sarah Vaughter website advises that you follow up with her infadolan ointment, which is just A and D ointment WITHOUT the zinc, dont use zinc. I used a fresh tube, squirted onto a swab NOT my hands, no cross infecting just in case.

Woke up this morning...what are my results? Not too good. while many, many websites selling derma rollers say that these micro punctures close up immediately, as soon as you are done rolling, this was not the case for me. I can see the holes, my forehead looks a bit orange-peel like. And there are small tracks as if there were some 'drag' to the needles.

Many of you might think I would panic at this point, but I am 41. My forehead is not perfect. And if I have learned one thing over the years when it comes to my skin, it is this...NO ONE but you is inspecting it THAT closely, like you do in the mirror. Think about people you saw, say, yesterday...do you remember the pores on their forehead? Next time you see them, will you think to yourself, those pores werent there LAST time I saw her! So, while I am unhappy with this result, I know that it is not the end of the world, it could change and get better in time. That is part of what the derma roller claims to do, make minute injuries that require your body to produce collagen to heal. I just firmly believe i did not go deep enough to do the whole collagen-response effect.

I wil say that I am THRILLED that I did NOT use my chin as the test area like i first intended to. If i had that orange peel look and tracks there, i addition to some old acre scars, then i woukd have freaked out. And I am glad i didnt do my cheeks, they are pretty smooth and poreless with no acne. I would have been devasted to have ruined that part of my face, and that would have been noticable.

I also want to strongly advise those trying it out for the first time to do a patch test somewhere inconspicuous on your face. Not on your hands or arms, that skin is different. Many of us here have put so many things on our face, alpha hydroxies, chemical peels, copper peptides, whatever. This changes the thickness and resilience. Your face will react differently and heal differently. Dont just roll all over your face only to find out this is NOT a good fit for you. And after the patch test, WAIT 1-2 weeks to properly gauge results. I have seen reviews where people started rolling 3-5 x a week only to damage their skin or get unfavorable results. Your dermatologist would say the same, you must wait to see what your skin will do. I know we all get excited to get a new product and try the heck out of it, but be patient.

Now I am very aware that you cannot use a product and expect to see a true result 12 hours later. I will update this review in a week or two and let everyone know what came of this.
*UPDATE* 9-16-11 - I haven't used the roller since that first time, the above review. I am too scared that I am going to damage my skin. I haven't noticed that my forehead looks any better. I did notice some tracks left by the roller, though nothing permanent. It took a while for my forehead to heal though. And I used so little pressure, too! I might try this again very very lightly in another test spot just to see if maybe it is beneficial on other parts of my skin.

you can buy rollers for around $9 at zmartbeauty.com (they are also on ebay) and they ship free, to australia anyway. you can use the 0.2 to 0.3mm every second day for maintenance and anything above 0.5mm every month. once you get up to rollers that are 1.0mm and over, it can hurt, so i bought inexpensive numbing cream from ebay, about a quarter of the price than the chemist. you will notice a huge difference in your skin and all your creams and serums will penetrate up to 1,000 better than before you roll your face. i also found it really helpful for my aging hands. the rollers on zmart beauty are exactly the same as the ones i was buying for $100 at the beautician. bargain!

on 8/14/2011 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When I saw the review & the description of the Derma Roller (skin needling), right away, I knew it is for me.
I had e-Matrix laser (5 treatments) done at a Derm's office, and it worked. The Derma Roller process is similar to that, except for a more low-tech approach. It offers a caculated, controlled damage to the skin and in turn, the skin respond this repair by manufacturing collagen. Does that make sense to you?
Like I said, I had the e-Matrix done a year ago and it takes a good 3-4 months before I notice result. With that as a base, I noticed result with the DR (derma-roller) after the 3rd session. I started out with the 0.5 mm & do it every other night. After the 7th time, I progress to 1 mm. and have been using that every 3-4 th night.
I notice a clearer, brighter, bouncier skin, the melasma is much lighter. It's better than my baby Quasar & certainly much faster & more effective. My cheeks look like I put shimmer on since the skin is so firm & smooth & when I poke my finger into my face, it felt firm, and not like a ballon filled with water.
I did some watching on youtube, and came to the conclusion that no longer than 1.0 mm will be necessary. And the process should not be bleeding, if its done right, my skin looks like I had a slight sunburn.
How light or heavy handed? Your skin will tell you, if you cannot communicate with your skin (insight), just don't do it.
I've been doing it for the past 3-4 weeks now & I will keep on doing it but with less frequency.
I followed with whatever serum and/or cream before going to bed and wait for the surprise the next morning.
For those who is scare of this idea, and usually responded by " I am scared ...what if .... Oh, that sounds horrifying." My advice is, stick with your serum & cream.

on 7/20/2011 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I started micro needling on my face on July 6, 2011 and have done it 11 times so far. I'm loving it. I got an MT Brand microneedle roller with 1 millimeter needles, ordered on eBay from China for under $9 and free shipping. It came quickly and was brand new and sealed. The roller handle is plastic and the roller head is transparent green with the needles in it. It came with a hard plastic case in which to store it.
I use it at night after my shower in which I've washed my face. It took some getting used to, the sensation was not intolerable and after 11 times my skin is pretty much used to the feeling now. I roll it over my skin several times in different directions where I want the treatment to be, then run the roller under hot water to rinse then spray it with 90% alcohol to sanitize then put it in the case to dry, then close it once it is.
The visual effect you get when you use the needles is that of a bad sunburn, but it goes away within an hour or two. Your face feels kinda hot and prickly and sometimes it feels itchy (thanks vitamin c spray!), but that too goes away. Like I said, you get used to it all. Not bad in any way.
I use rosehip seed oil (my personal favorite), or vitamin c spray, or vitamin e oil or jojoba oil afterwards or a combination of them depending on my mood after the treatment. You must use something because your skin is ready to receive whatever topical you choose and it will absorb better than it would had you not used the needles.
The idea of the needles is that by causing micro trauma to the skin, your cells will build collagen to repair, causing your skin to become better and better. It's supposed to help even old acne scars, which I what I'm after.
My skin is definitely showing an improvement, it's much more even and clear. I am amazed.
You must be gentle with your skin while you're doing the treatments-no heavy exfoliating the next morning, just be gentle and no picking at anything that might crop up. A washcloth with soap or cleanser of your choice will do to clean in the morning, then apply your usual morning facial products or cosmetics. If you're going to be in the sun, YOU MUST apply sunscreen to protect your skin. You don't want to cause damage to what you're trying to keep beautiful!
That said, I'm an indoors person and lately have only been using CVS brand Vitamin E oil after I wash in the morning, but I do apply sunscreen if I know I will be out for any prolonged time. I'm not worried about it. I know every second in the sun adds up, but I'm not going to obsess over it. I've made it to 37 years without major damage and do have my best interests at heart for taking care of myself. To each his/her own.
All in all, I'm glad I started microneedling, I am seeing results and will purchase another when this one needs replacing. I'm glad I went with the 1mm size. It's easy to use, just takes minutes and makes me feel good that something so simple is helping my skin be the best it can be.

I have some cystic acne scars along the sides of my chin which are fairly deep. They look kind of like dimples so I am told but not to me. I started using a 0.5 Dermaroller around 6 weeks ago. I plan to work my way up to a 1.0 for the one scar. Well today I took a look in the mirror and was quite surprised! I have some beginnings of crows feet and they were almost gone even though I have only been rolling them a few weeks. Most amazing was the one side of my chin with the fewer scars looked much smoother! I was expecting this to take a year or two! I know I may not see them totally disappear, but I am really happy with the results so far and will keep rolling! It is very easy to do and quite painless.
I use a Vitamin C spray and the Estee Lauder Advanced Recovery Serum which I know isn't totally natural but my skin loves it. I then use Bliss Triple C cream which really works for my skin. I also use Derma E scar gel on top. Every other day I use a 20% Glycolic peel before I roll. I rinse it off first. I am really happy to have found this at this stage in my life! If you have aging skin and a scar or two try this.
I use mine 5 days a week and rest on the weekend. I bought mine from Dermarollerplanet as they had the most to pick from.

on 6/27/2011 2:39:00 AM

Dermarollers truly don't receive the recognition they deserve. They've had some mainstream success in Asia and the Middle East but remain underground in the States. Behold a tool that's transformed my skin from dull/acne laden to glowing and even.

Most rollers contain around 200 tiny needles that micropenetrate the skin. By rolling up and down, side to side, and diagonally, your skin becomes a porous landscape ready to receive topical products. 0.5mm is recommended for face/body while higher professional grade options include 1.0, 1.5, and rarely 2.0mm for thicker parts of the body. Anything less than 0.5mm will not induce collagen production within your skin. 0.5mm reaches the surface of your dermal layers. From there, any products applied will work 100-500x better.

BE CAREFUL about which products you apply post treatment. All-natural serums and creams are the way to go. Because these skin channels stay open for a good hour, chemical additives/preservatives will go straight into your bloodstream and might cause a hefty, red, burning reaction. I personally use Philosophy's VitC/soy serum and 3-4 scoops of pure Vitamic C booster powder. Not all ingredients in the serum are natural but it's one of the softer options out there. Stay away from using peels/retinol/vitamin A post or pre treatments as they will just irritate your skin. The day post-treatment you'll want to pile on the sunscreen since your skin remains hypersensitive for up to 24 hours.

My own, personal results after using it 4 times, once/twice a week:
-Acne scars have lightened a good 2-3 shades.
-Skin tingles with collagen production/VERY plump.
-Fine lines are diminished
-Might just be the best $15 I've ever spent.

Resources: Ebay has wonderful options. Some include red/blue/green/yellow lights for various cell regeneration purposes. I purchased the red one for my acne. whitelotusantiaging.com is an expansive resource for everything dermaroller. They sell a potent, all-natural serum that I've yet to buy.

on 10/3/2010 1:58:00 PM

I've been using derma rollers for a few years now and I find myself recommending them all the time. It takes time for the real benefits to become noticeable because rebuilding collagen takes a while. Totally worth the wait, though.

I use the .5 mm on my face and neck. I don't use any numbing creams. As long as I don't press it into my skin it doesn't hurt at all. That's the key to a painless procedure, I think, not to press hard. And it still works!

I've switched to a derma roller from glamaroller.com because it's very good quality and a lot less money than the ones I've used before. Regardless of the brand of roller you buy it will probably have to be replaced within 3 or 4 months so the less I have to spend, the happier I am. I've used a few different brands, including the Scientia and the MNS models. Really liking this new one, though.

on 4/9/2010 1:31:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got mine (from Amazon) shipped in March 2010, and have used it about 2-3x a week. Mine didn't include the numbing spray, so I had to purchase seperately. I've had a fruid acid peel at a dermatologist's office and had dry sloughing following the peel to reveal fresh new skin.I'm getting the same "dry sloughing" once again, but the skin is dryer & tighter. With this roller, I have noticed my acne scars seem to look like they are slowly "filling up" (the collagen regeneration I guess?) I am going to look for some Tretinoin cream as I've heard that works wonders when used with Derma Roller.

Edit: OK, Now I know this isn't going to be good enough for my acne scars. I only seem to look acceptable (only in certain light, on camera, with tons of concealer/makeup on.) I really need to start saving for some kind surgery/laser. This just breaks my heart. :(

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

DERMAROLLER TREATMENT 1.0 mm

I recently paid for a 5 session course of professional dermaroller treatments, and thought I would describe the change in my skin over the course. I am 40 and have problems mainly in cheek area with hyperpigmentation due to sun damage. Here are the steps taken for my first treatment.
1) Thin layer of aneasthetic (xylocaine) applied to face with plastic film to cover to help accelerate numbing. Left for approx 20 mins.
2) Plastic film removed from forehead first to start dermarolling.
3) Then rest f face done.

I can say truthfully although not unbearable, this was not a relaxing or comfortable spa treatment but it was not painful, more irritating than painful. I can imagine something like getting a tattoo all over you face, or hard bristled brush across face repeatedly.

I expected it to be even more unbearable on more senstive areas of face but as the xylocaine was allowed longer penetration time I was pleasantly surprised...but note eyes may water a bit, especially when problems areas of harder or scarred skin are rolled more repeatedly than other areas.
After treatment, my face looked red and sunburnt, and I was given a lifting fac cream and UV30 facial suncream to take home. and use daily until my next treatment 3 weeks fromm now.

I have taken before pictures, but cant see how to load them here, but thought it might be interesting to log the progress of my skin over next few weeks, so we can know if this really works.

I can say that so far 3 days after treatment I have noticed a tightening feel of the skin which makes me want to continuously moisturise my face, and assume this is effect of treatment. Have also noticed the dark pigmented area feel very dry, almost scaly, and have noticed slight flaing of the skin here. Is this an inidcation of something happening or has my skin all of sudden become intensly dry.
Stay tuned and I will report back in a few weeks of any further developments.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have had my roller for about 6 weeks now , started with the 0.5 then went up to the 1 , I must say it is pretty painful and I cannot roll many times but worked a system where I press hard but roll slowly for less pain. My skin does look firmer and smoother but I would need more time tell. I do not see any improvement on my cheek area where I have sunspots and freckles- they haven't gotten lighter at all. I ordered some Retin a from alldaychemist and I am looking forward to trying it with the cream. All in all I would purchase again.
UPDATE Now it will be about 8 months that I have used my roller, although I do not do it on any regular schedule I do know that my skin has improved. This in combination with Retin A works very well.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools