Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

on 7/29/2008 7:11:00 PM

I'm a Fluidlines fan, like many others who've reviewed Black Mauve (BM). I was drawn to BM because black e/l usually looks too harsh on me and I was looking for an alternative to the browns I usually wear. So far, I like it, but wouldn't consider it a must-have item.

The color is what was kind of a letdown--although it looks a lot softer than basic black, the eggplant shimmer is barely noticeable after I apply it. It reminds me in a way of MAC's Beauty Marked shadow--gorgeous in the pan/pot, but more of a soft black when applied. It is, however, a nice alternative to black or brown. If you're looking for a more purple/eggplant/mauve e/l, it's probably better to look at MAC's Macroviolet.

The formula is nice though--this goes on smoothly and wears well. I can't say it lasts all day, but it lasts about 8 hours on my oily eyelids.

While this wasn't HG, I'm willing to give other BB gel liners a shot based on this one. I like this, but don't love it.

on 7/15/2008 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

At first when i read the name black mauve, i was hoping it wouldn't be too harsh and unfortunately didn't get a chance to check out from the counters.

Luckily there was a free ship code from BB and quickly ordered it with their free samples :)

I'm so glad i did, i used to be a BB gel eyeliner basher, i did prefer MAC's fl since it was creamier and the BB i had were dryer.

But I loved that this was creamier than other BB gel liner's ive owned and now am a fan of it. :)

included pic of black mauve taken in direct sunlight

continued >>

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

When I first saw the product pic on Neiman's website I was already sold on this color; so waited around for free shipping.

Fortunately this is a permanent e/l :) yeah, i was misinformed by a nordstrom's SA who said this was LE for their annual sale.

This is a beautiful color (dark purple with gold shimmer); and a great creamy finish; which i was very surprised and pleased with.

I've owned the Violet ink and Ivy Shimmer ink and both were very dry in comparison to my fluidlines. Returned Ivy because it was too dark for me.

I have dark brown eyes and NC35 skintone.

Unfortunately I'm still learning how to apply cream/ gel eyeliners. So I'm trying to practice on it (finding the right brush) and then i'm set :)

on 7/12/2008 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I prefer MAC fluidlines to BB Shimmer Ink gel liners because they have better texture, they don't dry out as fast in general and they're easier to apply. That said, I need to rave about the vast array of colors that BB has. MAC is falling behind in my opinion, in the shade dept. MAC has one, count it, one brown in their regular line. And if you blink you might miss out on their Limited Edition fluidlines. I usually wear MAC Blitz and Glitz and recently traded in BB Chocolate Shimmer for MAC Graphic Brown because they're the same shade, but MAC's version is creamier.
I bought this new Black Mauve because it's a gorgeous cross between cool brown and black, with some eggplant thrown in. It's a cool-toned shade that works really well with my superdark hair and eyes. I will probably be using this one whenever I do a neutral or cool eye. It has subtle, superfine shimmer and is extremely well pigmented. A softer, less harsh alternative to black, and a more exciting, interesting alternative to brown. NC35-37 MMM. Oh, and this is permanent, according to Livechat. continued >>

Black Mauve is very boring to me. Then again, I like more vavava-voom colors, like MAC Blue Peep, but I thought, hey, maybe I should get something more tame and lady-like. I guess this fits the bill, in all it's shimmery taupey gray glory. Yawn. I see no mauve in this, and I tried to find the mauve in there, I looked and looked, I swear. Nope, not a smidge o'mauve to me. Oh well, I'll stick to my purples, blues and greens.

on 7/9/2008 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love this product and this shade. Dark purple with golden particles. beautiful with my green eyes-- really make them pop. Another Great Season by Bobbi!

on 7/8/2008 11:23:00 PM

Introduced in 2008 with the Mauve Look for Fall.

Product - Black Mauve Shimmer Ink is a heathered plum shade with subtle golden shimmer. This shade is great with my brown eyes and AAB/NC25 coloring - not too brown, not too purple/violet, not too grey/ashy, and no red undertones. Not sparkly (good), but not matte or flat either (boring!). Nice alternative to basic brown or basic black liner, without being flashy either. As with BB's other gel eyeliners, it has excellent staying power on my oily lids.

Comparisons - Black Mauve is not a true brown like BB Sepia Ink; not as vibrant as BB Violet Ink; not as grey as BB Granite Ink or MAC Fluidline in Lithograph; not as purple as MAC Fluidline in Macroviolet; and not quite as dark or rich as true eggplant purple.

Overall - If you love gel liners and have brown eyes, this is a great color to have. An impulse purchase I would gladly make again. continued >>

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I like this liner. I bought it to wear with the Mauve palette. I have blue eyes and pale skin so sometimes a black gel liner is to harsh / heavy and brown is to warm / boring so this gray with a bit of plum is a nice in between. Did it make my eyes pop like crazy? No. But its nice for that defined but not to heavy look but this is not a terribly exciting eyeliner...I might repurchase because the color is actually unique.

The color, as others have described, is a brownish-soft black with some plum to it. If you want to describe it another way, I'd call it taupe with an edge. :) Whatever it is, it's not too dark for fair little me (SO hard to find anything that fits this bill), but is certainly dark enough to make my eyes gorgeous. I just ran home to try this on after I bought it, attempted a little cat-eye flick, and am officially in love with Black Mauve Shimmer. I may update after I see it in sunlight; some have said this would be good for folks with green eyes, so I want to see if this is true. I also haven't tried Bobbi Brown eyeliners before, so I need to see if this can pass the longevity test (I'm sure it will be fine, though).
*********************************
Edit - I ended up returning this because it just wasn't different enough from my MAC Lithograph Fluidline. Yes, it's not as harsh as black, but it also (on my lids) didn't look any different than a gray or such. So ends my love affair and I'm going back to my Ben Nye cake liners.

on 7/3/2008 8:08:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, as I have about 10 of them and just love the formula. It's almost a greyed down black plum w/ a little shimmer. I can see how it would make green eyes really stand out since there is a little plumminess to it. I have light brown eyes and it does absolutely nothing for them... I returned it to NM.