Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

on 8/16/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

This is the best eyeliner I have ever owned!! The color is a beautiful soft blackish/brownish/burgundyish color. It goes on so smooth and perfect and lasts all day without fading, flaking, or wearing off. I have bright green eyes and this seems to be a perfect compliment. It goes well with any color of eye shadow. I'm not sure about the "shimmer" effect. I can't really notice much, but then I don't have the flat colors to compare it to. It washes out of my brushes easily with a little soap and warm water. I like the pot ok, no complaints on packaging. This pot will last forever. It doesn't seem to dry out like the cheap ELF gel liners do. I will definitely purchase this again if I ever use this one up!

on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM

This is a lovely taupe liner that is ever so slightly metallic. It leaves little to be desired as an eyeshadow base, or an eyeliner by itself.

It's my only colored gel liner that I find myself reaching for. Most of the time I use this as an alternative to black liner, and I never understood why. I went back to my usual black liner in denial that it looked good.

But since then, I took a peek at Ellen Page's makeup which I adore. I realized that some of her beautiful smoky brown eyes had a taupe/brown liner along with shadow and I realized how wonderful it looked, and that I had something just like that in my stash.

The staying power is phenomenal. Sometimes I also use this as a liner, then pack on a colored shadow (such as an olive (sumptuous olive to bring out the green), and various other shadows such as smut, club etc.)

It's one of the few times that my liner doesn't smudge from my bottom eye corner. Lovely.

The price is a bit steep, but this has stayed creamy and flake-free for over a year, unlike my MAC fluidlines, and other gel liners. Love it!

This is an amazing shade, I am a bit of a gel liner addict, mostly because once they are on thatís it no re-touching - brilliant! I love purple shades and find they complement my green eyes a lot, this the dark side of purple and it is so flattering itís a great alternative to black its not so dark, and being fair I find it difficult to get away with wearing black without looking harsh.
Love this so much that I bought one in reserve but, the pot will last ages and ages you use such a small, small amount.

on 2/25/2011 1:55:00 PM

I like BB gel liners in general, I have four of them, but this is the colour I reach for most often. I first tried it when a makeup artist paired it with BB cream eye shadow in Sand Dollar and they look terrific together. It is a 'soft' black, not too harsh and not too purple. It is very flattering to green eyes.

on 2/11/2011 10:32:00 AM

Beautiful, gorgeous eyeliner. So many purple liners are too bright, too garish, or lean too far into berry/eggplant. This is the perfect deep violet-black, with just enough color to highlight your eyes without looking too 80's. I have green-blue eyes and this looks riveting on them, but I think it would be a flattering shade for anyone.

on 11/26/2010 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am not very good at applying eyeliner, but this one I can ! It is very easy.
The most beautiful eyeliner for my green/brown eyes.
Stays put ALL DAY, really all day. Paired with an eye shadow like satin taupe from Mac or a similar color in the crease/outer V and a lighter cream color over the lid it is just PERFECT ! Definitely HG !

on 11/18/2010 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

There's a lot to love about this liner. First of all, there's the color. It's just what it sounds like...a blackened mauve. More specifically, in the pot it looks sort of like a muted, darkened violet/burgundy mixture with some shimmer thrown in for depth. On my eyes, it functions much the way taupe eyeshadow works for most of us...it works with just about every neutral combination I can come up with. Since the liner itself is so neutral, it doesn't compete with my shadows; rather, it enhances my eyes. The color is also very buildable. Some people have called it sheer, but I disagree; rather, it goes on opaque but subtly on the first swipe and becomes more vivid on the second go around. However, because the formula is so smooth and silky, there is no flaking or chunkiness when you apply two coats.

Which brings us to the texture. This gel liner is slightly firmer than others I've tried, including MAC, yet it's still silky and satiny. My brush glides across it, picking up just the right amount of product. I find that with a lot of gel liners, they're so soft that my brush drags in the liner and grabs too much product, leaving globs on the brush (or my eyelid if I'm not paying attention). With Black Mauve Shimmer Ink, I can just swipe my brush across the surface of the product a few times to load my brush, and I'm good to go. In addition to that, it's very easy to work with. I can create a very defined line or I can smoke out the look with no problem. In addition, the liner is so silky, it glides across my lids with absolutely no pulling whatsoever, which makes it much easier to get a super-fine line.

Finally, there is the lasting power. This liner stays put! I don't normally have too much problem with migrating liner, but I do lose it at the outer lower corners of my eyes every day. It always looks as if the outer edges of my liner just decided to run south on me. With Black Mauve, I NEVER have that problem.

Overall, I've been really impressed. I plan to go get a couple of the other shades very soon. Of all the gel liners I've tried thus far, this is definitely the most user-friendly, with a good array of colors and great wearability, as well as the ability to stay put all day. Highly recommend.

on 11/14/2010 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an awesome color. I was actually looking for a soft black color for those days that I don't want to put on jet black eyeliner because sometimes I don't want that precise & defined look. This color is like a soft blackish eggplant color, it's georgous!! It's not that shimmery so don't be scared. It is a bit sheer so you do have to put a little more on than the other solid colored eyeliners but it's the perfect eyeliner for those days that you want a soft eyeliner look & you don't have to be so precise drawing it like you do with the black ones. From afar though, it just looks like a very soft black to me though so I love it, no one is going to think you have mauve or eggplant colored eyeliner on.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This colour is PERFECT for me. It's a dusty rich purple-brown, with a light shimmer, and it compliments both my very dark eyes and my yellow-toned skin. You can use it with a light hand for day time wear (it's much less harsh than black or dark brown), or you can pile it on for night time. This the eyeliner I reach for when I don't want to waste time thinking about eyeliner, as I know it'll always look good. As with all BB gel liners, it lasts all day - it's the only eyeliner I've found which does that, and I have oily skin and wear a lot of concealer, so that should tell you something. The only complaint I have is that it dries out quickly. I have had mine for about ten months, and I've only used about a third of it, but the texture is now getting quite hard to work with. I think the BB gel liners should be sold at a cheaper price, with less product in the container.

on 10/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually returned this eyeliner (unused) a few weeks ago because, even though it gets good reviews and sounds so pretty in theory, when I opened the lid I saw only a weird dingy color that was almost impossible to identify. Blech. Given my fickleness, and fear that I am missing out on something, I recently purchased it again and this time I decided to actually try it on.

As I was applying it, I felt like my previous impression had been justified. Nothing special, in fact, it took a bit of work to even make it show up, as the shimmer gel eyeliners tend to be more sheer and not as dense as their matte ink sisters. I dipped a MAC 212 flatliner brush into the gel and tightlined the upper lids and then used what was left on the brush to tightline the lower lids, just at the roots of the lashes, staying well back from the water line and tear ducts.

I was afraid the mauve would redden my eyes, but those fears were unfounded. Black Mauve is a lovely bronze with a whisper of deep plum and the barest hint of gold shimmer. It makes for a very natural look with my fair skin and green-grey-blue eyes. I believe Black Mauve would work equally well on both cool and warm skin tones and all eye colors because of the color's complexity.

As with all of Bobbi Brown long-wear products, it stays put until I remove it at the end of the day, even on the lower lid. My only complaint is the product feels stiff and dry compared to the "Ink" gel liners. I thought I received a defective pot, but when I reordered it, I experienced the same texture. The shimmer gels are definitely less moist than the inks.

A friend asked how Black Mauve compared to Caviar, so I swatched them for her on the back of my hand (fair, cool NW15). In both images Black Mauve is on the left and Caviar Ink is on the right.

With flash:

Full Size Image

No flash:

Full Size Image

(Oops, I assumed a link to my stored pictures would display an image. A copy > paste into a browser address bar works. If anyone knows how to insert the actual image, please feel free to message me.)