Egg Bomb

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I love this as a conditioner. I have my own recipe (follows) and it's saved my hair. I recently went through a downsizing phase and began to make almost all of my own beauty products. My hair has completely changed since I started making my own products, and while I attribute my hair's new found shininess and cleanliness to my ACV rinse, I believe that it's new thickness and softness is due to the egg yolk conditioner. While I do my ACV rinse almost everyday, I only do my yolk conditioner every 2 days or so. This is my recipe:
2 Egg Yolks
2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
2 drops Sage Essential Oil
2 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
I put it on my hair after I rinse out my ACV and leave it to sit while I wash my hair and face. I then rinse with cold water (you don't want hot or you'll end up with scrambled eggs). If my hair is feeling a bit stiff and I can't brush through it completely, I just use a bit of wheat germ oil. I'm so happy with the way that it's turned out. Thick, healthy, and completely natural and cheap. I'm converted!

on 7/20/2010 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

After reading the rave reviews, I thought I'd give the egg bomb a try. I had not one, but two dye-job disasters over the past two years. I was beside myself (dye me bad once, shame on you, but dye me bad twice, shame on me right? Though I really think it was just bad luck because it was two totally different stylists). Anyhow, my ends have been a straw-like mess ever since, as I try to grow my hair out. I decided to give the egg bomb a shot. I mixed up the concoction of oil, egg yolks, and honey, slathered it on to my hair, put on a shower cap and waited while the entire family stared at me like I was crazy. When it came time to wash though, they were all so curious about how it'd turn out. First, I tried just flipping over and shampooing my hair with the handheld shower nozzle. This did not get all the goop out and my hair was a greasy mess. Oh and quite seriously, I know another reviewer joked about cooking the egg in your hair, but there were some chunks in mine for sure! After that, I ended up showering completely to get all the gunk out. My hair was shinier after, but the oil seemed to weigh it down still even after two shampoos. The family voted: shiny, yes. But my vote is it was just too messy and too greasy and not worth the trouble for me. I'll stick to my Aussie 3 Minute Miracle.

on 5/23/2010 5:51:00 PM

I've read somewhere that hair doesn't absorb egg protein as the molecules are too big.
Or something like that, don't remember and it's not important to this review more then as a clue to why I couldn't see this mask as something that actually would work, or be diffrent to a regular evoo deep treatment.
Well it helps for something! In some way, the egg brings extra moisture/protein/whatever and it sure makes a huge difference compared to just a pre wash oiling.
I've used different oils and honey before in treatments, and I'm supriced to say, but this mix of ingredients seems to cooperate REALLY well and it's an excellent alternative to more expensive masks.

It does strip color though, and it's messy, and smells -really- bad.
But you just can't have it all and for this price, availability and result, I will absolutely try it again.

on 5/18/2010 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was very hesitant to try this, but I had all the ingredients in my kitchen and decided what the heck. I mixed it up, applied to my slightly damp hair and let it sit for a hour. I could have left it in more but had no time. I then washed and conditioned as usual using tepid water and let my hair air-dry. My hair was very soft and less frizzy. I could see a visible difference in shine as well. I look forward to playing around with the ingredients to see what would work even better for me, but this was worth a shot and is cheap and easy to make.

on 10/9/2009 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

The egg bomb works! I used the original recipe of 1 egg yolk, 2 tbs olive oil, and 1 tsp honey, and it was plenty to cover my thick, shoulder-length hair. I covered it with a shower cap and used the blow dryer to heat it up for a little while after I put it on. I ended up leaving it in overnight because I was too tired to wash and style it by the time I put it in. My boyfriend was over when I had it in, and I was telling him the ingredients and he said, "That sounds expensive!" I laughed and told him it was homemade so, in fact, it was dirt cheap. It actually works better than expensive products too. The next morning when I washed and styled my hair, it was extra soft and shiny. I'll definitely use this again especially since I have been switching to all natural and organic products.

on 8/11/2009 7:37:00 PM

I really didn't know what to expect when I tried this. I kind of figured that it would be slimy and messy and not stay on my head and smell bad. None of these things were true. The honey makes the mixture sticky enough to stay put and it was easy to apply. Can't beat the price either. It washed out very easily in the shower and didn't leave my hair the least bit greasy or smelly. It did leave it very soft and shiny. Wonderful, will be doing again and again and again. You have to try it!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

So after reading all the great reviews I decided to try this out this weekend. I actually had to triple the recipe cause I have super long hair (little past half-way down my back) and suuper thick Indian hair. Its a bit messy putting it in, so definitely plan to clean your bathroom afterward! =o) As I was washing my hair I didn't notice anything different...didn't feel super soft or anything, BUT once I finish straighten ironing it, it looked AMAZING. It definitely has WAY more shine and is suuuuper soft. I will definitely be doing this at least twice a month! I LOVE how cheap all the ingredients are too! Thank you SO much for posting this concoction!!! =o)

on 7/18/2009 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Definitely liked this treatment. I go between using this and Aphogee, which works a little bit better and is easier for me. I have to triple this recipe as my hair is to the middle of my back (it's not thick at all either). Messy to put on but I just wrap it up against my head and wait. Definitely easier than Aphogee, too. You really need to do a deep conditioning treatment after this... I do, anyway. Still, love it!

on 6/20/2009 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Just tried the egg bomb yesterday night, wasn't able to wash out all of the oil with 2 shampoos, but my hair still looks and feels fantastic! Supermodel hair, looks very sleek and healthy. :)