MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

3.9

Mica, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Tritcum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methicone, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin [ /- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77162), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Maganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 7/20/2008 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I only tried this on at the store, I have not purchased it and will not purchase it.
Personally, I don't like shimmery glittery foundation. I am very much a matte kind of girl, especially since my pores are large. The coverage was good but because of small glittery flecks, I am worried that piling on more of this product would, in turn, pile more glittery flecks on my face until my face is a disco ball.
I wish this had a matte, absolutely no glitter shimmery junk in it. Maybe I'll try other mineral makeup.

I've been breaking out with cystic acne after getting a certain powder.... (*ahem* Shiseido's Sun Protection Foundation SPF34 PA+++ which is claimed to be non-comedogenic.... *ya right*) so I've been on the hunt for a new powder (loose or compact, mineral or not) that has good coverage, absorbs oil, non-comedogenic, and contains SPF.
So I got a sample of this (to compare with those from Bare Escentuals and Cover Fx) and I like it very much. It's still way far from my discontinued HG (Chanel's Double Perfection foundation powder), but compared to many loose powders, it's very good.
Pros:
-Sets liquid foundation
-Absorbs oil (semi-matte finish). My oily skin still looked decent after 3 hours (whereas compared to BE's Bare Minerals SPF15 Foundation on my other 1/2 of the face... well it's turned into a shiny mess there...)
-SPF 15
-I was told that it's 100% non-comedogenic by one of the MAC artists since it's all minerals... but it doesn't say this on the box... (one of the reasons why I got a sample first before purchasing)
Cons:
-Not enough coverage!!!!!!!!! I's supposed to be a loose foundation powder, but honestly, it's leaning more toward the regular loose powders, or maybe with a SLIGHTLY bit more coverage than these. (minus one lippie).
Purchase:
hmmm... I'm going to think about this or maybe just go with a regular compact foundation (with SPF, absorbs oil, matte finish, non-comedogenic) cuz they generally have better coverage... OR just use a sponge (either the one that comes with it or a separate one) to pack in more cuz I've been using MAC's 181 kabuki brush with it... hmm... Oh, I don't think the packaging is bad, it's pretty cute, I like it the built-in sponge. It gives it a vintage look imo and the entire thing is not messy at all.

on 7/5/2008 4:51:00 PM

This powder wins hands-down for stupidest packaging I've ever seen. The sponge is not useful at all and it's a little difficult to get the powder out with a brush, but other than that, it's an OK mineral powder to wear as foundation in the summer months. I wear Studio Fix in the fall and winter and it just felt too heavy for July, so I thought I'd try this, and it is lighter and provides good color. However, the SA told me that this is the exact same formulation as the pressed powder version, so if I buy it again I'll get that so as not to mess with this silly sponge business.

on 6/25/2008 9:57:00 PM

Love love! I don't use the sponge thing I use a brush similar to the 187. This has the best coverage and feel. I use it with Fix+ and it lasts all day long (I use a primer to). I don't get shine like I do from Everyday minerals. It also doesn't give me that powdery look. The only downside is the price and it is hard to get right now!

I'm not in love with the sponge cap thingy. I don't know; it just seems to deposit powdery chunks of the product on my face that refuse to blend. My Everyday Minerals kabuki brush is much more effective. I tend to get compliments on my complexion when I wear it, and it doesn't magically melt off of my face by the end of the day. I am, however, still on the lookout for my HG foundation. I doubt I would buy this again because I rarely buy anything a second time; I'm always experimenting with new products. I'll use this up, but in the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for something better (less powder-matte and more dewy-natural would be nice). HG foundation, where art thou?
EDIT: Upgrading to five lippies after playing with this more. A very small amount still provides enough coverage for me without looking heavy, and it doesn't appear to cause breakouts. I may stick with this foundation after all.

on 6/4/2008 6:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I normally use Studio Fix pressed powder but decided to expand my horizons and try Mineralize Loose for the hot summer. I love the product--it provides great coverage, doesn't apply heavy when I use MAC 109. However, I have mixed feelings about the packaging. I like the sponge applicator cover because it keeps the powder from sifting out (which is why I hate loose powders with sifters)--great for traveling in your purse or suitcase! I hate the cover because it is not a cover where you can tap the powder out into and dip. I might buy it again--not sure yet at this point.

on 5/18/2008 7:12:00 PM

I love this foundation. I've used a few of the higher end brands of mineral powder makeup, both loose and pressed and this is on the same order as GloMinerals loose without the shine. I happen to like the puff that comes with it...I much prefer it to a kabuki brush simply because that doesn't work well with the size of the container and the puff works so why mess with it? I also have it in Medium and will likely mix the two shades Light Medium and Medium for summer. I've not tried Medium by itself but think I could probably get away with it by itself in the middle of summer, or after I've used a self tanner on my face. This product is worth checking out if you have tried other mineral powder foundations and were never quite impressed with the finish. This one looks incredibly natural.

I have never used mineral makeup before and I thought I'd give this a try since it's nearly summer and my liquid foundation might be too much. I have normal/combination skin that can get slightly oily in hot weather, although I can get the odd dry patch too. Light Medium shade is a perfect colour match for my NC25, I was quite impressed with how it "disappeared" into my skin, I normally struggle with foundations being too pink, too light or too orange. The finish is not exactly matte, it's natural/dewy because it has small shimmer particles - very discreet, no obvious "glitter" here! I've applied this with my 187 brush (I find it too messy to use its own applicator) and used a very small amount which gave me good coverage. When I've checked the finish on a different light, away from my makeup table, I was dissapointed to notice that my skin had a slight powdery look and all my fine lines and pores were somehow accentuated. This doesn't normally happen when I use a good liquid foundation, I guess mineral makeup can be ageing for some people and I'm one of those. I have managed to get this working for me by using it very, very lightly as a setting powder on top of my foundation to tone down the shine. I didn't have any problems with breakouts or itchiness but I found it quite drying when I've used it alone on top of my moisturiser or primer. I think it's a great product, just not for me.
EDIT: As the summer got warmer, I am reaching for this more often than I thought, it's the only foundation that doesn't suffocate my skin, without compromising on coverage. I am using it on top of my Elemis sun screen SPF30 and it works really well.

on 5/9/2008 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this product yesterday and I wasn't impressed. I used to use Studio Fix and have decided to go to a mineral powder foundation instead. I found the applicator to be difficult and time consuming. Each time you need more product you have to insert the top back into the tub and tap the bottom of it. Not something I would want to deal with when I'm getting ready in the morning.

It also was a little Iridescence which bothers me since I don't have the clearest of skins. I felt it magnified flaws instead of hide them. Also the SA at Mac did not match me up right because the color she chose was too yellow.

I would spend my money on something else that has better designed packaging and coverage.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Great packaging, bad product. I was excited when this came out, but it was dissapointing. The coverage is not bad to say,however it barely lasted 2 hours on my face, like it had melted off. i much prefer my HG mac Studio fix powder to this in terms of coverage and staying power. the finish was also a little too shiny for my liking, i like matte polished finishes. thumbs up for the packaging though.