The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

2.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/27/2010 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a review for the Body Shop's vitamin skin boost. This retails at around 12, which is a little pricey, but when on offer, can work out at a reasonable price. This product has great reviews, so I tried it hoping it would live up to it's hype.
My mum commented on how tired I was looking, where my sister (who uses this) recommended me to try this. As always, I went on the internet and read the raves about this product. I mixed this product with vitamin e oil - and my skin was transformed, whereby it looked so much healthier! My mum, who is really skeptical of these type of products, was telling me to purchase it! However, the lovely glow that I had was only temporary.
The serum has a lovely velvety texture to it, and it would make a great base for foundation. It also gives your skin a lovely glow, though only temporary.
Before the small bottle finished, I would apply it at night mixed in with vitamin e oil, as is recommended on the bottle (it states vitamin c works better in conjunction with vitamin e).
Conclusion: I don't think it did anything major for my skin in the long term, as my skin texture and tone was still the same from before I started using it, but because of the short term glow it provided when mixed with vit e oil, I would repurchase.

on 11/19/2009 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I had to take this back to the shop as it really hurt my face. Tried several times, as I actually like the smell and feel, however, unfortunately no improvement.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This serum smells yummy like oranges, it has a clear gel texture and it left my skin satin soft with a radiant glow. I use it be fore I moisturize. A also use a special Japanese technique applying it.

on 8/20/2009 12:16:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm still on the fence with this product. I know several reviewers have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad and it disappears quickly. As for the silicone base, it is VERY hard to find a vitamin C serum without some kind of silicone in it. I have oily skin that is very prone to breakouts and I have had no problem using this product. My makeup goes on very nicely after I use it in the morning. As for the brightening effects, I think I will have to use it a while longer to really make a decision. I would recommend trying this product because it is really well priced for the type of product it is. If it doesn't work then you haven't lost much.

Update: I've been using this for about 8 weeks now and I haven't seen any real changes. Nothing good, but nothing bad either. No breakouts from the silicone, but I can't say that my skin looks a ton brighter.

on 7/22/2009 3:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I was planning to buy vitamin e face mist then this sales girl came and recommended me this vitamin c product instead. However, I tried it. and OMG. the smell is SOOO strong right when i smelled it. I don't think I could stand this smell for the entire day at all.

I really like this stuff. It feels like a make-up primer ( i think because its made from the same stuff- silicone). It instantly smooths my skin and I have noticed an improvement in my skin tone with continued use. Hasn't clogged my pores or caused break-outs

on 11/18/2007 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I disagree with everyone who is ranting about the silicones in this. Checking out the high-end serums at Sephora, including Dr. Perricone and MDSkincare (at $90 a tube), you will find the same thing. Dimethicone is actually a very good skin protectant. Don't everyone get on the bandwagon to "boo" an ingredient that is quite good for many skintypes. This goes on as a lovely primer, and is great under my sunscreen. I won't spend high prices for such similar products. As an added bonus, this has a very, very light citrus scent.

on 10/27/2007 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

THIS IS MORE OF A QUESTION RATHER THAN A COMMENT ON THIS PRODUCT AS I HAVENT USED IT YET!
Iv noticed how everyone has gone on about the silicone in this product, which is what is in most face primers. Do you think this is worth purchasing as a face primer? I didnt like mac primer at all. I know this serum is more designed for skin treatment, but if its good as a primer, it worth the money as its not too expensive.

on 3/10/2005 1:18:00 AM

This product actually works pretty well for my face. It makes my skin feel soft and hydrated all day, and it seems to brighten a little at least initially upon application. The product contains a bit too much silicon in my opinion, and I won't be using this once summer comes. However, it seems to work fine for winter. It's a bit pricy at $20/1 oz, so I'm not sure I'd be repurchasing it, but I put yes just in case TBS as buy2-get1 free skincare special again. Update: nope, won't be repurchasing. I just read through the ingredients, and everything just seems to be variations on silicon - what happen to the beneficial stuff? anyways, this is pretty thick anyways, it feels nice in the winter but I want more 'healing' products next time.

on 9/22/2004 6:45:00 PM

I just bought this the other day and so far I love it. The product has a lovely slipperiness and makes my skin instantly smooth and soft. Best of all, I used it on my throat, with some of their Soy-based cream on top, and found that it helped the appearance of the loosening skin there. I'm using the serum in combination with their new Vitamin C capsules. Capsule at night, serum in the morning.

Sorry to hear that some skins flare up when this is used, but that also suggests that this is a real treatment product with real benefits for those who can tolerate it. Postcript July 27, 2005: I use some other serums too but still love this one. I find it's especially good under makeup because of its matte silicone-y texture. No need, imho, to use a moisturizer on top of it.