Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.4

on 4/15/2011 9:58:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My skin took a turn for the worse about 6 months. At the most, I used concealer under my eyes and on the occasional dark spot. Now, I have a face full of hyperpigmentation and acne. Absolutely horrible. So as I am working with a dermatologist to clear this horrible mess up, I have been on the hunt for a good foundation and/or concealer to cover the marks. So far I have tried dermablend, covergirl sensitive clean foundation, clinique, and korres mineral foundation. See my reviews for those if you are interested.

My skin is very very acne prone and very very sensitive. I did read the reviews on here for this foundation, but I took them with a grain of salt because some really acne prone people loved this but others hated it. So I tried it for four days. I use vanicream sport spf 35 which is NOT a matte sunblock and it can get greasy when the proper amount is used. However, this foundation clung really well to the vanicream and balanced out the greasiness. Although it says sheer, a few layers actually covered my really bad hyperpigmentation issues and I did not need a concealer. I used a cotton ball for application, it actually worked really well. Plus I never double dipped, I used a fresh cotton ball each time to keep the makeup clean. But, after a few hours my face would itch, but I just started using a new prescription, so I thought that had something to do with it. I did get new pimples during this time, but since I am dealing with full-blown acne, it is really hard to tell whether a product breaks me out or if I am just breaking out!! HOWEVER, I always pull my foundation down to my neck and face. I NEVER, and I do mean NEVER break out on my neck and VERY RARELY on my chest. With this foundation, my neck and chest itched along with my face.....and BAM, PIMPLES ON MY NECK!!!! So yes, now I know that this product was the cause of the itching (I do not use the topical prescription on my neck or chest) and the horrible new pimples. I also hated that the product had parabens, as I am trying to step away from that, but I was willing to compromise for one product if it worked well, BUT IT DIDN'T!!!!!!!

Also, I hit the pan within 4 days!! That is crazy!! A total waste of money!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm an NC42 in MAC studio fix powder and for Neutrogena Mineral Sheers powder foundation I use the shade Honey Beige. First of all, this foundation has been very good to my skin. I have pretty sensitive skin and I haven't had a bad reaction to it. It's light-medium coverage. I prefer natural coverage where it doesn't look like I have completely flawless skin so this is great for me. I just use this to even out my skin tone. If you are looking for full-coverage, I do not recommend this because you will most likely be disappointed. It is also mess-free since it's in a compact, which is a big plus and great for on the go/traveling. I also don't recommend it to people with dry skin because it can accentuate the dry-ness.

So I don't use this as foundation alone - I put it over my dream smooth mousse to add a little extra staying power to my foundation and to keep my oilies at bay. there are some definite pros and cons to this product though:

pros:
*doesn't oxidize
*really great coverage - doesn't settle into the big pores on my cheeks
*is pretty mattifying
*does not break me out

cons:
*not an amazing color selection (I wish they had some more yellow based tones)
*settles into lines like CRAZY. I have fairly pronounced forehead lines and this just clumps into them, and if I put it under my eyes, lines that I couldn't even see before become immediately visible

so while I do like this product for the most part, there are some mild improvements that would make me like it a lot more.

on 6/9/2010 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I was using this product religiously for over a year and was already on my 3rd compact. Then I decided to be ‘adventurous’ and try out liquid foundations. My search for the perfect foundation has been completely disappointing and fruitless… colors don’t ever match or I either break out like crazy. A few days ago I decided to revisit this old friend of mine and I rediscovered why I loved it so much. I now realize that I don’t need liquid full coverage to get great looking skin. The color I have is Natural Beige (60). I love how this looks very natural on me. It conceals any redness and acne I have… granted acne lumps and bumps are always obvious no matter if you use liquid or powder foundations. I use a flat top brush and pat it on my face after using a primer and concealer… from there I determine if I need more coverage or not and apply accordingly. Obviously, as with any foundation product, this will cake if applied too heavily. This powder foundation does not change color as the day progresses and lasts me through my work day with minimal touch ups. I do have to blot once or twice but that is something that can’t be helped since I tend to have oily skin. I love the fact that it is oil and fragrance free with SPF 20. As previously mentioned, I like to use this over a primer and concealer, and sometimes over liquid foundation for extra coverage. I think this is one powder foundation I will always repurchase. Also, I do sometimes like to use the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Beige (Medium 2-2.5) over this for extra 'matte-ti-fication' (hehe). For color reference I use Revlon Colorstay in Natural Tan (330), Rimmel Lasting Finish Mineral Enriched Foundation in Sand (300 – although this is a smidge too dark with a slight pink undertone) and Clinique Even Better SPF 15 in Golden Neutral (#16).

I like this powder overall. It makes my skin look really healthy and matches my skin tone very well. (I have it in Soft Beige) I also like the fact that it has SPF 20 in it. The only thing I noticed is that it didn't keep the oil down on my forehead so I have to reapply it halfway through the day, but I can deal with that. I would buy this again because of how well it matches my skintone, and for me, it seems like my skintone is hard to match!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have the shade in sand, and it is a perfect close match to my skin. The coverage is great and it doesn't look chalky on my skintone. The compact is very easy to slip into my bag and contains spf 20, which is very good, since I get red if I don't wear sufficient sunscreen. It doesn't break me out and layers well under my Oil of Olay moisturizer with spf 15. Compact is a bit cheap, but it at least contains a mirror and application sponge. It is way better at absorbing oil than my Mac mineralize powder and is much cheaper as well. Will repurchase again.

on 8/20/2009 9:09:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

this stuff is idk... idk what happened to it the first time i used it was over my foundation (liquid) and i looked amazing... i slept w. my makeup on accident due to a long nite and still looked flawless in the am.. no dry skin no oil and great coverage.. but now its looks like garbage i feel like im melting when i wear it.. idk if it doesnt last or what but ive only had it about 3 weeks and it only did what i wanted on week one..

i wish i could find a good coverage powder foundation that controls oil to put ove rmy foundation cuz i have scars and long days so i wanted it for touch ups but yeah still looki ng

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This foundation made my skin oily. It caused breakouts and comes off easily and feels cakey.

on 7/21/2009 9:09:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

okay so i liked this product at first and now i think im hating it! it feels like its melting on my face and i think i had a rection to it. i have all these bumps that werent there before last week popping up and my pores have never looked so big.! i wish i could find one of these that was good.. i want a powder like this that has coverage that i can put over my foundation becuase im a student and long days=touch ups but i cant find anything i think i will hit the department stores and once again give up on ds makeup anyone have a good sugestion for a good line of foundation and powder thats long wearing non acne prone and oil free!!!????******please reply

on 4/30/2009 4:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This product is okay for those days when you don't feel like wearing foundation (like going to the beach, running errands on a Saturday morning, etc). It's very sheer and yes, it's a bit difficult to dispense onto the brush. It does give my skin a glowy look, though. I'd probably say it's a C+ product. I buy it when it's on sale.