Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Meh. As the name suggests, it is a sheer foundation. I no longer use it as a foundation, only as a setting powder, for which it serves it's purpose.
I have this in tan, which is a little dark for me. This powder lasts about 5 minutes after I apply it. You will have to reapply it whenever you walk outdoors. It even has low staying power when indoors. It lasts maybe 4 hours then starts losing the minimal coverage that it already had :( I won't be buying this again, because I'd like my makeup to last the entire school day. I'm sick of skipping lunch block because I need to touch up on my makeup.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product provides surprisingly good coverage for a powder compact foundation. It is sheer coverage, but it evens out skin tone really nicely. It also does a great job of minimizing pores on my moderately oily skin, giving a fresh and smooth appearance. My main challenge has been choosing the right color. The first time (over a year ago), I chose Natural Ivory 20, and didn't feel totally satisfied with the color. I next tried Classic Ivory 10, which worked much better for me because it is just as fair, but with a more flattering golden tone that balances out the redness in my neutral-to-pink - toned skin. Now, however, it is early autumn and I have a slight tan from summer. Classic Ivory is looking a little too pale, so I tried Nude 40 because Buff 30 looked too pink. I think Nude 40 may just be a little too deep and golden for me, though. I may need to look elsewhere to find a truly neutral fair-beige shade (neither too pink nor too yellow) that works with my skintone. Until then, I will try blending Classic Ivory and Nude when I want to use this beautifully-textured foundation.

on 6/9/2010 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I was using this product religiously for over a year and was already on my 3rd compact. Then I decided to be ‘adventurous’ and try out liquid foundations. My search for the perfect foundation has been completely disappointing and fruitless… colors don’t ever match or I either break out like crazy. A few days ago I decided to revisit this old friend of mine and I rediscovered why I loved it so much. I now realize that I don’t need liquid full coverage to get great looking skin. The color I have is Natural Beige (60). I love how this looks very natural on me. It conceals any redness and acne I have… granted acne lumps and bumps are always obvious no matter if you use liquid or powder foundations. I use a flat top brush and pat it on my face after using a primer and concealer… from there I determine if I need more coverage or not and apply accordingly. Obviously, as with any foundation product, this will cake if applied too heavily. This powder foundation does not change color as the day progresses and lasts me through my work day with minimal touch ups. I do have to blot once or twice but that is something that can’t be helped since I tend to have oily skin. I love the fact that it is oil and fragrance free with SPF 20. As previously mentioned, I like to use this over a primer and concealer, and sometimes over liquid foundation for extra coverage. I think this is one powder foundation I will always repurchase. Also, I do sometimes like to use the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Beige (Medium 2-2.5) over this for extra 'matte-ti-fication' (hehe). For color reference I use Revlon Colorstay in Natural Tan (330), Rimmel Lasting Finish Mineral Enriched Foundation in Sand (300 – although this is a smidge too dark with a slight pink undertone) and Clinique Even Better SPF 15 in Golden Neutral (#16).

This used to be my HG foundation---I just stopped a few weeks ago after using it for at least two years. This never made me breakout, has good coverage and sticks to the face well(I always used a primer). Five months ago, my face developed a constant red, SUPER itchy rash that literally lasted till a few weeks ago when I stopped using this foundation. Before stopping, I thought it was an allergic reaction, or seborrheic dermatitis, or just dermatits, and tried like every medication(never went to the doctor 'cause I heard they just give you cortisone cream...); I never suspected this foundation 'cause it has never given me problems before....until my face magically cleared up after 2 days of discontinued use(I kept everything else in my makeup and skin routine the same). I looked up the ingredients and found out a lot of its ingredients, mostly mica and carmine, can cause skin allergies and itchiness in people with sensitive skin---carmine, which is crushed beetles, can even cause microscopic tears in the skin:(.

I don't think it's just this product, but mineral makeup in general(most mineral makeup have mica and carmine) can cause bad reactions, so I still gave it a 2 because I know it's not necessarily a 'bad' product for everyone.

on 2/2/2010 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I've been using it over the Mac studio fix liquid foundation and omg! It's the best thing ever!! I don't need to buy the expensive powders anymore Yay!! :D oh and it doesn't clog my pores,break me out, make me oily and all that bad stuff :)

on 1/28/2010 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is my go-to powder. It has great coverage that is buildable. It doesn't make my sensitive acne-prone skin break out. Overall, I would definitely recommend this.

on 10/19/2009 10:12:00 PM

I had high hopes for this product but found that it's just way too sheer to offer any decent coverage. It really should be marketed as a powder & not a powder foundation, although I find it barely even takes the shine off my T-zone. I originally thought I had just not applied an adequate amount, but the more you brush on, the more it makes skin look chalky; it also highlights imperfections especially lines & any patches of dry skin. I prefer Cover Girl TRUblend Pressed Mineral foundation as it offers just the right amount of coverage, blends in much better & appears to be of a finer mill. (Unfortunately, I just saw on the CG site that they're discontinuing this product, FYI.) Anywho, if you're looking for any kind of semi-decent mineral coverage, I'd suggest you not waste your $$ on this product & instead try another brand.

on 10/19/2009 10:04:00 PM

on 8/17/2009 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have been buying this product for a while now. It worked pretty well and doesn't make me breakout. I don't like that it can be a bit chalky and look caked on if you apply too much. It also doesn't provide full coverage. Another thing that I don't like about this product is that it has to be touched-up often; for me at least.

on 7/31/2009 3:46:00 PM

I have honestly tried almost EVERY mineral foundation out there including, BE, Smashbox, PUR Minerals, and every Drug Store mineral foundation you can imagine. The foundation I had the best luck with was the PUR Minerals but it made my face an oil slick by early afternoon. I had been dealing with it just because it didn't make my skin break out and I loved the natural but full coverage it provided. Well, two weeks ago I bought this Neutrogena Mineral Foundation and I LOVE it. It has the coverage that I liked about PUR Minerals and it does not make my face a shiny mess. My skin looks healthy and pimple free. It also lasts all day which was a surprise to me for a drug store foundation. I will definately keep buying this.