Castor Oil

Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Wow! I have been using this on my eyelashes for about a month, and noticed an improvement within the first 2 weeks. My lashes are normally short -- downright stubby. So, I am thrilled to see that they are growing longer. I can actually see a difference when I curl them now.

Considering how cheap you can get castor oil, it's worth giving it a try. If it doesn't work, you can probably find another use for the oil.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I used castor oil to grow my brows for about 6 months. I over-tweezed a bit the ends in the 90's and now regret it. The castor oil did fill in my brows, however it also caused a small yet hard whitehead to appear right under my brow. Since then I have stopped using castor oil and the whitehead went away. Currently, I color my brows with Godefroy tiny kit and fill them in with Revlon Brow Fantasy or Hard Candy Brows Now.

on 8/23/2016 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have castor oil in a pump glass bottle and use a tiny drop each night on my eyebrows and my lashes so they saty strong and moisturized. I totally see the difference when I skip it, my eyebrows are everywhere, with the castor oil they look polished and stay in place.

on 8/23/2016 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Alright so avoiding profanities will be hard for me here because I got a lot to say. If you want my simple SFW review, I'll list the pros/cons at the end for you.

For some background: I had no intention of buying some fancy ass organic ass expensive ass oil for my eyebrows. So I bought Meijer brand Castor Oil, in the laxative aisle. It was cheap (like $3?) for a huge ass bottle and lawd I have been blessed.
Have you ever suffered through the disappointment of growing out your eyebrows for almost a full year after a horrific threading session? Have you had to rebuild your trust in others, your confidence, your faith in humanity because a little lady at the mall turned your foreign baddie eyebrows into stripper brows?
If this is you, you need castor oil. This made my eyebrows grow so quickly. I've had a series of bad eyebrow wax/thread/removal and my eyebrow hair growth has been slowing down. I was afraid my eyebrows would never be as thick as they once were (to be entirely honest, they're still not there yet). My eyebrows are getting back to where they were and I am so happy. I'm still gonna continue using this because it really makes a difference.
Just a word to the wise, don't be heavy handed with this!! I applied this at night and it definitely broke me out a little because my eyebrows were way too saturated.

PROS:
- thicker, fuller eyebrow
- it works

CONS:
- too much can break you out

on 8/9/2016 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I use this on my lashes and brows and it really does help reduce hair loss and my brows seem a lot thicker now (keep in mind I've been using this off and on for over a year, it's not a quick fix). I have also tried this on my scalp as I have thinning hair but I find it's rather thick and difficult to apply. I tried mixing it with 1/4 jojoba oil, 3/4 castor oil to thin it out and that helped with the application (I do not use the thinned out mix on brows). Also using a dropper helps with application to the scalp as well. I sleep with it on and wash my hair in the morning, you definitely don't want to be going out with this much oil on your head, it doesn't absorb much.
I picked up a huge bottle at a local nutrition place for about $15cad which I feel is a good price. Would repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

In love with this product. I am glad I gave it a shot because truthfully I was extremely skeptical at first. I ahve been using with a q tip and putting it on my eyebrows every night for about a month and I can notice new growth. It is very slow to see but it is definitely doing something. Price is so affordable and it is so worth it!

on 7/30/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My nails are thin and brittle and I had been using coconut oil and olive oil to moisturize them after I removed my polish, along with a wide array of store bought creams and strengthening treatments.

On a whim, I tried castor oil and OMG.
This is my holy grail nail treatment. It really works!! Nothing else worked as well for me.

After using it for a few months, I'm experiencing much less peeling and breakage. My nails are much thicker and stronger. I'm able grow my nails long and keep them strong even if I use polish removers with acetone.

After removing polish, I wash my hands and dry them, then spread the very thick, gooey oil over my nails and let my nails absorb it over time (it usually takes about 20 minutes to a half hour). Sometimes I repeat the repeat the process. When I am ready to polish my nails, I wash my hands and clean my nail beds with alcohol to make sure there is no residual surface oil.

Castor Oil works for hair, so it makes sense that it also works for nails, which are also made of keratin.

on 7/30/2016 10:11:00 AM

$1 Castor oil vs $25 Organic Cold Pressed Castor Oil

Can $1, processed castor oil really be better than an organic, cold pressed version? I tested them both and the results were very surprising!

I wanted to try Castor oil because my eyebrows aren't very thick, and my lashes are downright sparse. Rather than do my typical ten hours of hardcore online research about everything from how well it works, to which brand to buy, I just bought the first one I saw. Someone had put it in my head the previous day and there it was sitting at Walgreens for $1.55. So I just took it straight off the shelf, bought it went home and immediately applied it to both my brows and eyelashes.

In less than a month I noticed major improvement. It was one of the most effective things I've used. My lashes were twice as thick. There seemed to be more of them, and the ones that were there seemed thicker.

I was so excited about it, that I immediately went back to do my standard research. I bought a nice bottle of cold pressed castor oil that only came in a huge bottle, so it was $25. But that was easily worth it for this little miracle oil!

But then a funny thing happened. First thing I started using my "superior" castor oil... my results almost stopped. I was disappointed because things had been in full swing just a few days before. I figured I must have tapped out my growth potential.

Three months passed, and when traveling I brought my huge $25 bottle of castor oil with me on a weekend trip. When I came home, I realized that I had accidentally left it behind. I never really saw better results with it, so I just went back to using my $1 Walgreens castor oil.

Much to my surprise, the growth in my eyelashes and eyebrows began to accelerate again! I was shocked! I thought I had tapped out the growth ability, but no. The difference was the oil. The cheap stuff was working better!

I'm a firm believer in exclusively using cold pressed, organic oils. I've tried the cheap processed stuff in the past, and it's never been as good... until now. As weird as it sounds, the cheap castor worked better for me.

Intrigued, I went back and read a lot of the reviews in this very thread about castor oil. What I observed in the reviews, matched my own experience. Almost no one says they tried both kinds(cheap and cold pressed). But every single person saying things like "It tripled my lashes" and "it totally regrew my brows" ALL seem to be using dirt cheap, processed castor oil. While almost every person saying they use cold pressed, report tepid or even zero results.

This is totally the opposite of anything I've ever seen with oil, but I suggest trying the cheap stuff. As weird as it sounds, I think it works better.

I had read about the wonders of castor oil for hair growth many years ago in a book of home remedies, and I thought, "Silly hippies, whatever!" Then, I read about castor oil on this wonderful site, and I thought, "Brilliant Makeup Alley geniuses, maybe I should try it!" So I went to the local health food store and bought a bottle of organic castor oil for about $9. My brows really got the shaft during the whole pencil thin brow thing in the '90s, and who doesn't want crazy lush lashes? I do! I've been putting it on my brows and eyelashes for about one and a half months, and I have noticed a serious difference in the past few days. The tails of my brows, where the most damage was done, are growing all sorts of shiny, strong, dark, beautiful hairs. And my lashes, especially the lower lash line, which was always so puny, have nearly doubled. It's ridiculous. It's exciting. I am well on my way to Eugene Levy eyebrows. Okay, maybe Brooke Shields.
AN UPDATE: Well, I've been using castor oil at least three times a week for several months, and my brows are fabulously lush and beautiful. I'm very proud of them. My lashes are pretty gorgeous too. One caveat, though, as you grow your new, luxurious brows and lashes, you will be tempted to buy new mascaras, eyelash curlers, and brow grooming products. Go ahead, I say. Buy the new goodies for your new lovely brows and lashes!

on 7/7/2016 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I dare to call this a miracle worker.
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of using it earlier than last month. You must know that here in Italy, the first thing anyone associates to castor oil are fascists tortures, as prisoners were forced to drink it and well, it resulted in painful bowels actions. The fact that the alleged inventor of this torture is also my favourite poet in the world, well, made it sound ever creepier. So I never thought of this product as a positive cosmetic help, due to my totally justified and legit dislike of fascists (am I really mixing make up and politics? Oh lord take this laptop from my hands and throw it away)
I use many oils (olive extra virgin, coconut, flaxseed, karite, jojoba, tea tree) and prepare this mix I appy on my hair about twice a week. I recently bought castoir oil - from the excellent made in Italy, 100% organic brand Forsan - to be added in this mix, and the results are satisfying; I would like to use it alone, but my hair absorb it so fast it seems I have to waste half bottle for one conditioning.
But why did I call it miracle worker? Well, ask my brows. As a teenager, I did extreme damage to my brows, due to poor knowledge and experience in grooming them, and basically cut the right part of the right brow for good. Until now, not many hair grew back, and it still looks like it's missing something. Left eye (oh man am I really getting emotional thinking about our beloved deceased TLC baby girl?) instead is in better conditions, but still has empty parts. So, I applied castor oil and massaged it every night before bed and, if I'm home during the day, I don't mind having a shiny oil on my brows (even if my husband finds it disgusting but then I remind him the time he almost shat himself at our goddamn wedding, like really? You almost blasted on your Ferragamo dress and you still dare to call me disgusting? Boy bye) so let's say it stays there for about 10 hours a day. Well, after about 10 days of use, I was impressed to see that my brows look fuller than ever.
I've always been scared and unconfortable with all that pomade-stencils-pencils-stuff fashion thing and I wonder how girls are able to wake up near their man looking completely different from the night before - it's not my business, but I'm into horror stories and this one is definitely a horror story. And what if I sweat like a pig? Would it look like a bird shat on my eyeballs? No way! So, thanks to castor oil I can finally fullfil my desire of better brows, in a natural, confortable way, with excellent results in no time. I will use it everyday for the next months and will tell you how it works, maybe I'll share pictures!
Oh and I'm using this on lashes too, I don't see any precise improvement but for sure even the cheapest mascara looks a loooot better than before! Surely they're all conditioned and nice now. I don't have blurry vision problems because of it, as other people have stated. Don't be scared, nothing will happen to you! It's non toxic at all.

Fun fact: when I was doing research after hearing for the first time the english name of the product, I googled an invented italian translation for it. "Castoro" in italian means "BEAVER", resulting in me literally googling "BEAVER OIL", so I was totally shocked at the idea of a poor beaver all squeezed and melted for my hair benefit. EW.

UPDATE! After a full month using this, I can definitely tell the difference. It is pure wonder! I applied every night except one I went straight to bed after a night out, and I usually use a sleep mask for preventing light (if there's the tiniest electronic light in the room I won't close an eye) so the oil was kept warm under it. The brow tails are finally perfect after years they were kind of missing expecially the right one. Hair are quite thicker and darker (they've always been much lighter than my hair roots), and I finally dare to apply some tiny lines of brow pencil just for fun, something I was too ashamed of doing before as the difference was striking. COOL!
Lashes - drum roll - are pushed up like I wear a brown or clear mascara! I never complained about them as they were normal and long enough, but now, hey hey! I won't complain about any improvement!

UPDATE YO: Brows are full, lashes are cool, lips are thick and nourished and I can wear kids facepaint as lipstick and still look perfect and hydrated. It's the first time ever I feel close to that terrible, tasteless saying "on fleek"
Dude what on earth on fleek means
It's unforgivable

GURL: 2 months later I HAVE THE FULLEST BROWS EVER. This is insane and if I keep using it I might become Chewbacca - well kind of. For sure now I have to take care of a new problem: MONOBROW. What the actual f**k dude. Grooming is becoming annoying. Really, it's incredible. It's the first holistic treatment that worked 100% for me. So, bear this in mind if you follow the same path: thiss oil worked on me, but for example on the very face and hair the miracolous holy coconut oil doesn't work except basic skin hydration that any other cream would achieve. So..
The worst thing that might happen to you it's that you might get greasy for nothing useful. Nothing that should stop you from trying :D

UPDATE 18 december 2016: it's been 6 months since I fell in love with castor oil and its effects are unstoppable. I mentioned that I use it as a night lips balm right? Well it's definitely helping growing MOTHERF****N MOUSTACHES
The other day I was at the movies with my husband when, while in line for tickets, he stared at me and said: "Honey, are you becoming hipster? What are THOSE?" pointing my upper lip and making me ask myself "Do I want to keep living?"
I spent the next three hours wearing my scarf up to the nose and definitely looked like a rebel ready to drop a paper bomb on a capitalistic pigs shelter. Gotta discontinue this for the lips (and using my beloved Dior's Lip Maximizer as night treatment instead, which works wonders