Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush

Ulta Professional Series Stippling Brush
Ulta top, MAC bottomUlta Professional & BE duo fibre stippling brushes

4.2

UPDATE: I have been switching this between my blush, bronzer and foundation (1 week each and then I wash) and guess what - I love this better than the MAC for each. I promise I don't work at Ulta (in fact I really don't like shopping there) but I can't deny that I heart this brush more than any of my others.

OLD: This is amazing and just as good - if not better - than the MAC 187 for me. The bristles are just a tad firmer on my Ulta brush than the MAC. I've been using it for blush. It gives me an unbelievable glow rather than a harsh line of color. In fact, I've kicked the MAC 188 to the curb because this works so well. I haven't tried it with foundation, but I'm assuming that since the bristles are firm that it would totally rock.

Even better - I bought this when the ulta brushes were BOGO 1/2 off. So I bought one for a friend. I ended up getting two of these for less than the price of ONE MAC brush. I think I'll keep my eye out for this sale and next time buy more for my other friends who've never used a skunk, kinda a stippling brush outreach program, I guess.

on 4/23/2009 4:09:00 PM

I got 2 of these when they were buy 1 get 1 50% off. I probably should have waited for a better sale or tried on of the cheaper ones, because they still come out to about $20 each. BUT I'm glad I went ahead and got them. Now I get what everyone is talking about! I used one to apply liquid foundation, and it looked so great, and it didn't take forever like the flat foundation brushes. The other I used to apply blush and highlighter, also great!

Only 1 hair came out of one brush when I washed them, and the other didn't shed at all. The handle feels really good in my hand. I've never liked the flat foundation brushes or using sponges, so I'm really surprised how much I like this for foundation application.

I have only recently heard of a stippling brush. I used to try using regular foundation brushes and always hated them. So I thought I'd give it a try after some research. I must say, I really enjoy using it. It makes mixing a breeze. I put a drop of liquid foundation and a drop of shimmer cream on the back of my hand, mix with the brush and stipple it on. It makes application so much faster than using my hands and my fingers aren't all messy anymore. I haven't tried it with any powders yet, but I think I'll stick with using my powder and blush brushes for that b/c they are softer. I like swirling the stippling brush, too to blend and I feel like the application with the brush rather than my fingers applies it more properly b/c my skin is more illuminated and glowy afterwards. I also tried it with a cream blush....AMAZING!! That is the only way to apply a cream blush. It's perfect and blends it beautifully. I never used my cream blush b/c I didn't like how it looked, but that was with my fingers. I have been missing out. This is the best brush ever!! There were 2 stray hairs so far with this brush, though. But no big deal.
UPDATE: I've washed this several times and still I get a couple stray hairs everyday. I guess it does get annoying after awhile. As soon as all the hairs fall out (which seems like they eventually will at this rate) I might splurge on a MAC one. I still love this one, but prefer that it not shed on my face. minus one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I got this a while back after watching the YouTube gurus put their foundation on with the MAC 187. The MAC 187 is more than $40, and I wanted to try a dupe. I read up on this here and YT, and decided to try it. It was still very expensive, I think I paid $22 for it. I do love how it works for foundation. I just stipple my foundation on. I don't swirl with it. I prefer the just stippled coverage I get. I wash it every time I use it (almost every day), and it has not bled. However, it does shed a hair or two a day. This doesn't bother me very much, so it still gets 5 lippies. Now I just need a good 188 dupe, because this brush is a bit large to get around my nose and above my brows.

on 12/24/2008 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this brush, especially for the price and it's always on sale. I originally wanted the Sonia Kashuk one but that's like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow so I gave in and bought the Ulta one. It did shed when I first washed it and also as I used it. But I believe it will hold up to my abuse, i will update.

i had this in the Studio Gear #15 review:
"I would get the pro Ulta highlighter brush, currently on sale B2G2 w/ additional coupons, so for about the same price of Studio Gear #15 or MAC 187, you get 4 brushes to abuse/give/and actually use it for highlighting as well. Only at the bigger Ulta stores, not online."

on 12/3/2008 5:34:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was very excited about this brush, because of all the reviews comparing this to the MAC 187. I have the 187se, which i read is not the same quality as the full size; this one bled a lot even after 4 washes. So I jumped on the ULTA, and this brush shed the most among all the brushes I've ever used! It shed is crazy, I had to pick up countless black hairs from my face and makeup. After one washing and rigorious rubbing on my hand, i think I got rid of all the loose hairs because it now not shed as much now. However, the density is lost, at first the density was comparable to the MAC but now it is not. In general, the bristles are not as soft as the MAC. I also have the SilkNatural duo fiber brush, and that one sheds equally as much, so guess it is hard to find one that doesn't shed. The 187se has only shed a few hairs thus far but it bleeds.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool

I got this because I wanted a dupe of the 187. I have a 187 se which is okay but I feel it sheds a lot so it's not as dense as it once was or as stiff.
So I saw ulta had a sale for buy one get one free on all brushes so for being $26 I got another brush free. Great deal on price, even without the deal it's cheaper than the $42 mac.
I washed this after purchasing and it did not shed one hair. Then I applied my liquid foundation and I found that I got more coverage and a larger coverage area. I in turn got done faster.
The brush is very soft, softer than my se. Also denser and is stiffer than my 187 was when I got it.
I love that the handle is longer, I decided I'm not found of short brushes. It only shed one hair when I used foundation the first time. Compared to the Mac se which shed several and continues to. I will purchase this again when I need to. My se will be used for traveling in my purse to be used with my powder foundation.
Excelled Dupe.

I'm so happy with this Ulta Stippling brush! :-) I also have the MAC# 187 stippling brush and after comparing both brushes, I have to say that these brushes are the same in performance, bristles, and texture. The only difference is that the handle of the Ulta brush is tapered towards the end. I really wonder if the same company makes the Ulta and the MAC stippling brushes. I alternate between the Ulta and the MAC and I use both for applying my foundation, highlighters, blush, or powder. I prefer the Ulta though because it only bleeds its black dye after one washing and it's so much more affordable! I've had the MAC#187 for several months now and it still bleeds! Why shell out $42.00 for the MAC brush when you can get the same brush (Ulta) for a much cheaper price. I got the Ulta brush when it was on sale for about $19. You can't beat that! Two Thumbs up! :-) I would have never found out about this great affordable stippling brush if I wasn't a member of Makeupalley. Thank you ladies!

p.s (Like the MAC#187, the Ulta brush will shed some hairs but it will stop after a few washings.)

on 11/13/2008 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been wanting to try a stippling brush like this for the longest time. I'm pretty lazy with my makeup application, so I thought I might actually want to apply my liquid foundation if I had the right tool. First of all, I don't have an Ulta near me, so I had to find it online. It was pretty tough to do because this isn't called a stippling brush at Ulta. It's called a Highlighter brush. So, if you're looking for this particular brush, I hope that little piece of info helps.

I've really been wanting the MAC 187, but since I have a hard time parting with that much cash for one brush, I decided to settle for a dupe. I read all kinds of reviews and I almost bought the Coastal Scents version before I read how much it sheds. The Ulta shed a bit when I first received it, but after a good washing, it's nearly perfect. I still don't like wearing liquid foundation, but it does make it much easier to apply.
Overall, I'm glad I purchased it because I now know exactly what a stippling brush can be used for and why it's helpful.

on 9/6/2008 4:36:00 PM

All I can say is: WOW!

I've been lemming for a stippling brush for the longest time, after seeing all the hype about the MAC 187 and the Coastal Scents Duo-Fiber Stippling brush. I was tempted by the CS brush, since it was only $7.95+shipping, but I read reviews saying that it wasn't dense enough and shed like crazy, so I passed. I still didn't want to spend the $42 on the original MAC brush though, so I did my research to look for the best dupe. MUA really helped me out here when I saw the Ulta brush being called an exact dupe of the MAC 187. I went to the store to get it because the website said it was at $19.50 with a 25% off they added, and I also had a coupon for $3.50 off a $10+ item, but unfortunately, it was still at full-price at the store [$26] and I wanted to get the best deal as possible. I went on ebay, and found just one listing for it, and a week later as the auction was ending, I was lucky enough to score the brush at $16.26 shipping included!

I just received the brush the other day, and I am officially in love with it. I don't usually use liquid foundation, but when my skin's having a bad day, I'll mix some liquid foundation with some moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer. I tried that out with the brush, and my skin just looked.. flawless! The blending and application was a lot better than what I would achieve with applying with my fingers. The bristles are so soft, but at the same time have great control. At first, it shed about 5 of the black bristles, but while I washed it and after I washed it, there was no more shedding. Another plus is that it dries completely within a couple hours.

If I had to, I'd totally buy another one , but I'm pretty sure that since it's such good quality, it'll be quite a while until I need to.

Popular Makeup Brushes