Eye Primer -Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer
dpav 5/10/2010 1:10:00 PM
To be fair, this primer did improve the staying power of my e/s and make the color more vivid. But that's limited to not-too-creamy type of eye shadow. When I use it on cream shadow and at the end of the day (i.e. after 14 hours or so), it still creases. But for power eye shadow, it doesn't crease at all. I have never tried UDPP, maybe I will try that next time.
I was introduced to this product at the CVS counter. I felt a bit rip off by buying water for such a high price.
* in general, tap water are hard water, which is not good for skin. So I want to use my serum to "trap" water that's more pure than that hard water from the tap.
* convenience : no need to pull out the cotton ball, just spraying on the face is not much a hassle for me.
* I do see that this spa water calm my face, and the slight redness is gone when I'm using this water.
Treatments -Vichy - Aqualia Thermal Hydrating Concentrate
dpav 5/10/2010 9:29:00 AM
I just started my third bottle, so I think it's a good time to review it. This is a very lightweight serum, and yet it really helps to keep skin hydrated. Because of its lightweightness, it's ideal to use it under moisturizer and makeup. I used this both day and night, so one can only last me about 3 month. My major complaint is on the packaging. It's definitely a decent pump, and the style of the bottle is not bad at all. However, I always feel like I can't get the last drop of product out of it because I can't break the bottle to get the very last bit of serum.
Lotions/ Creams -Eucerin - Plus Smoothing Essentials Fast Absorbing Lotion
dpav 1/15/2010 10:54:00 AM
When it comes to moisturizing in the winter, eveyone is thinking about applying cream or lotion and be gentle to the skin and let the cream being absorbed. The fact is that the best way to moisturize is making sure that your skin is exfoliate regularly.
This lotion has AHA which helps to exfoliate dead skin on the skin surface so that the moisturizing ingredient can penetrate. So far, I found that exfoliation is the best way to tackle dry skins; kind of surprising for a lot of pp, but that's very true. After I start using this lotion on my legs, I no longer have the itchy and dry feeling on my leg in the winter. However, there is a very unpleasant smell coming with the lotion, so minus 1 lippie. Overall, highly recommended.
This mask may be perfect for Acne-prone skin types, but for a person who have been regularly exfoliates with AHA and Retinoids, this is not necessary. I found this a bit too drying and the smell is also very strong. If you're looking for a gentle mask, this is not for you. But if you're looking for a spot treatment, this may be a good option.
Toners -Alba Botanica - Hawaiian Hibiscus Facial Toner
dpav 11/25/2009 11:23:00 AM
I'm not a toner person. I believe that toner is unnecessary. But for whatever reason, I still keep a toner for times when I want to do an extra step in my skin care routine or when I want to make sure that my face will not have any leftover from cleansing.
* very refreshing and hydrating to use after cleansing
* good to use it before makeup, as it seems to boost the hydrating level and prep the skin
* I also use this on my lids, no reaction at all
* the flip open lid seems to be ready to break down from day 1. So I have to be extremely gentle in opening and closing the lid.
* expensive as a "drugstore" toner
* For some reason, I do have a bit tingling feeling when I put this on my skin. But it disappears once it's absorbed.
I think this will be the first toner that I have ever finished, and I probably will repurchase.
A very nice home "facial" set for the hands. It leaves my hands incredibly soft. I don't know how much Mary Kay is charging to this product now, but I'm pretty sure that all of us can re-create this hand facial with the stuff that we have already owned.
For the heavy night cream: Use Vaseline instead. The major ingredient in that cream is Petroleum, as you can easily tell from how it feels on your hands, right? Well, if you want to be fancier, add some Jojoba oil etc to use with the Vaseline.
For the scrub, any scrub on your counter should work well. But to be on the safe side, don't use something with large and sharp particles.
For the cleansing gel, any of your facial cleansing gel should work as effectively as the one in the set
Finally, pick out your favorite hand cream.
This should also leave your incredibly soft hands without paying something extra or the hassle to find some counter top space or closet space to store the set. Thus, I won't repurchase.
I'm always using d/s e/s because I usually don't need a dramatic look. Plus, I never finishes up an eye shadow, so I guess it's a waste to get those high-end brand-name e/s. I tried this palettes b/c I believed it's a good value.
* There are 16 e/s color to try, the blush is beautiful (my favorite in this collection), the Lip gloss are pretty decent too.
* the croc case is very very nicely made. I have used it to travel as it's a "hard" case, so my brushes won't be smashed by other stuff in the luggage.
* disappointed on the quality of the e/s (pigmentation is low, it's chalky etc). the e/s is not any better than my d/s brands; I think I should learn the lesson that Palettes usually are in lower quality esp. if it's such a good deal.
* the flip open of the package is very annoying. Plus, one of the e/s drops out from the package and it creates a MESS on my carpel!!!
* Plus, there is no name under the e/s or blushes. So, I really like the blush, but I'm not sure how to locate the full size product w/o the name
All in all, I think Lorac comes out with a holiday Palette every holiday season. If you just really want to try out the colors, I think you can get the palette, but otherwise, it's not that worth it.
Moisturizers -Clean & Clear - Oil-Free Oxygenating Ultra-Light Moisturizer
dpav 11/12/2009 1:21:00 PM
First of all, the SPF 15 comes with this bottle totally failed as a good UVA protection agent. If I applied this in the morning, I will have a very oily coat on my cheek by mid-afternoon. It just looks like my pore is spitting out oil that it gets from this moisturizers. I know this is oil-free, but that's what I have experienced. No exception; everytime I used it, that happened. Will definitely not repurchase.
Shampoo -Rusk - Rusk Sensories Purify (Cucurbita & Tea Tree Oil Deep Cleansing)
dpav 11/12/2009 1:00:00 PM
I also want to clarify here that this is a PURIFY shampoo, not CLARIFYING shampoo. Purify is for itchy, problematic scalp, i.e. dandruff etc, while clarify is for removing build up from product usage on the scalp.
I think this definitely done a decent job in keep scalp itching to the minimum. I love it in terms of its ability to prevent dandruff as well. However, this is a very drying shampoo, and I do not recommend using it more than once a week. Also, don't forget to use a good conditioner or even a hair mask after this.
A very decent natural lip balm. In particular, I got this for free as a family member works at a organic stores!!!
* pretty good at moisturizing
* loads with many goodies: shea butter, vit. E oil etc
* no petroleum, I'm already using Vaseline, so want something that contains more nourishing ingredients
* natural products. I do not adore natural ingredient product as many of my friends do; however, for things on my lips, it's definitely a plus to have it being natural b/c inevitably, I'm going to "eat" it
* No SPF!!! Can't serve well as a day time lip balm
* Even though I didn't pay for this, I know it's pretty expensive for a lip balm
Treatments -Avalon Organics Botanicals - Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum
dpav 11/12/2009 11:00:00 AM
* combination of many goodies: Vit. C, E, green tea, cocoa butter, and it's a very natural product
* affordable Vit.C treatment; compared to many brand, this is a pretty decent price
* Did see that it gives me a glow
* it seems to give me some tiny whitehead
I might or might not repurchase as I always want to try some other products and compare. Plus, the occasional whitehead also makes me hesitate to continue on this product.
Lotions/ Creams -Eucerin - Original Moisturizing Lotion
dpav 11/12/2009 10:37:00 AM
I got a small tube as a hand cream that I can carry around. The texture is very watery, and it's slow-absorbing. Even after it is absorbed, it's a bit like having a "coat of oily thing sitting on the skin" feeling. I seriously don't think it has done a decent job in moisturizing. Of course, it doesn't make me feel like my skin is soft after using the cream. Will not repurchase.
Moisturizers -Clarins - Moisture Quenching Hydra-Balance Cream
dpav 11/12/2009 9:31:00 AM
I got the night cream for dry to normal skin. It's a very rich cream. I like that it has Hyaluronic acid which is very good for moisturizing. It also has other planet extract that claims to restore firmness etc; however, those are not clinically proven as other ingredients such as Retinol, AHA. Anyway, I got this because I was suffering dryness and it was winter, so I believe that this will give me a boost on the moisture level. Anyhow, this cream causes me to break out; plus, it has a pretty strong fragrance. While I like the smell too, but I always wonder if the fragrance will irritates my skin. Maybe I should have tried version for the normal to oily skin type. Anyway, will not repurchase and actually did return the cream.
Treatments (Eye) -Burt's Bees - Repair Serum with Attar of Rose
dpav 11/12/2009 9:12:00 AM
A really really good eye treatment. It's > 99% natural ingredient, and a bundle of good vitamins to treat the eye areas. At first, I'm skeptical of putting oil on my eyes as I am worried that I will get milia. However, it doesn't. I use it every night and also the days I'm not wearing makeup on my eyes. Well, as you see, this is not good to be put under makeup as this is basically a tube of oils. However, this is more a treatment than moisturizer, so I usually use my regular night cream on my eye area first (well, a lot of times, I can't justified buying an eye cream as comparing the ingredient, a lot of time the eye cream is formulated very similar to night cream in the same line, but is lot lot more expensive. Also, I can't find a satisfying eye cream, so I simply use my night cream for my eyes). Then, I let the night cream be absorbed for a while before I applied this treatment.
I also use this on my frown lines (well, I don't really have one yet, just to prevent it) and around my month as those are areas that are more prone to wrinkles.
A lot of people seem to believe that this serum has been discontinued as you can't find it in a lot of stores right now. But if you go to Burt's bees website, it still lists this as their current products. I got mine at whole foods. Having that said, I believe Burt's Bees may discontinue this product as I can see that the ageless serum can serve as a replacement of this, but it was double the price of this repair serum. Personally, I hope this is not going to happen.