Giorgio Armani • Face Fabric Second Skin Nude Makeup • Foundations
|Would buy this product again.||70%|
Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium Hair: Black Eyes: Brown
It is a decent foundation. I really liked their LSF so I wanted to try this since it has SPF in it. This foundation seems sheerer so there wasn't as much coverage as I would have liked. It also took a bit longer to blend. I did like the tube though, easy to get the right amount out and hygienic too.
Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown
This is my HG foundation and I'd buy it again and again!
It smooths out my face, conceals any visible pores, stays matte throughout the day, stays colour-true and yet it looks super natural on your skin. Prior to this I was using Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturiser which I found to be too thick for my skin, oxidised and tended to settle into pores. In terms of coverage i'd say this was a sheer foundation, a little more coverage than Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturiser but coverage can be controlled by how much you use. This has enough slip to allow you to use less than a pea sized amount on your entire face which provides a more tinted moisturizer like coverage.
I'm somewhere between a MAC NC35 and NC40 and shade 4 works brilliantly for me.
Just a few tips I've learnt while working with this foundation:
- It's practically a silicone gel so skip any heavy silicone based primers like Clarins Instant Smooth or the heavier silicone gels like Smashbox. The reason for this is if you layer face fabric over a dense silicone base, the texture will become splotchy and unnatural in direct light.
- This mattifies the skin like a silicone primer would so it's a good idea to prep the skin with a moisturising primer like MUFE Elixir if you have dry skin or YSL Top Secrets which is what I use for my combination skin. This ensures that the foundation won't make you look overly matte and yet still controls oil throughout the day.
- I've tried to apply this with a MAC 187, 188, 109 and 190 and none of them work better than my fingers. I simply smooth the product onto my skin and the most important step is to then pat my face rapidly in order to even out the distribution and help the silicone really 'bond' with your skin. That's what the Armani SA told me to do and it's what really makes the foundation look like a second skin.
- Alternatively you can smooth the product on with your figers and then gently brush over it with a blush brush like the MAC 165 instead of patting for a velvety smooth airbrush finish. This only works for face fabric because it has a very light, silicone gel texture which literally glides across your skin.
- Because of the silicone in this, it can tend to dry out the skin underneath your eyes and exaggerate lines (even if, like me, you're only 20). The best way to counteract this is to pat on some eye cream beforehand or only use the excess product left on your fingers after applying the face fabric and then pat that under your eyes - following up with a highlighter or concealer if necessary.
- Even for combo skin like mine it's not necessary to set the foundation with a layer of powder but powder definately helps to just add a finishing touch to the look and improve it's staying power. I use Chanel's Poudre Douce in Peche Tendre and lightly dust that over my face with a fan brush which looks natural and keeps my face fresh all day. Rely on the face fabric to control your oil, not your powder or you'll look cakey and dry.
That's all I can think of! This foundation is a real joy to use, a definate staple in my routine.
Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette Eyes: Hazel
Went around Nordstoms getting samples of foundations one day because in the summer absolutely NOTHING matches my skin. Tried Face Fabric on my hand and loved the smooth, silky, powdery feeling and the color blended well too. It covers well, feels like I'm wearing nothing and still looks natural. No mask here.Long story short..... ended up buying it. It is expensive but my makeup has never looked better. I apply Monistat Anti Chafing Gel to Powder as a primer then apply my Face Fabric and set with the powder compact #7. Ideally you would eliminate the primer and setting powder and I probably could but love the way it looks together. This is the ONLY foundation I have tried that keeps the oil at bay. My complexion has improved after using this even. Less breakouts and my skin looks smooth. I seldom have to retouch the entire day where I used to 2 to 3 X in the morning alone. I keep wanting to find a reason to return it because of the high price but can't bring myself to do it. I will continue to try more GA products in the future.
EDIT: This foundation amazes me. I look in the mirror and still can't believe it can look so good especially after trying everything out there. 95 degree heat and NO touch ups and it still looks great eight hours later. WooHoo !!
Age: 25-29 Skin: Other Hair: Other Eyes: Other
I really wanted to like this foundation...it's a dream to apply and gives a fantastic finish (nice and smooth)...unfortunately after 1-2 weeks of using this, I broke out all over my face. So disappointed! I think it's all the 'cones....
Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green
This product is truly a heaven's sent. No, I'm not being an Armani fan-girl, or overly positive, I'm just that astounded that something can work for me THIS well!
The product costs £28 as far as I remember, but one tube goes extremely far. With everyday use, I guess this should last for 4 - 6 months, depending on how much you need. The amount I use is the size of a very small almond. The packaging is very chic and minimalistic, like all of Armani's offerings. It's rough surface means it won't slip out of your hand during application.
On a VERY important note: This is the first foundation (and no, this is not a tinted moisturizer!) that matches my skin tone. I'm on the extreme end of PPPism. All foundations I have tried before looked either yellow, pink or orange on me. However, Armani's Face Fabric Second Skin Nude Makeup #8 (which is supposed to be a brightener) is a perfect match. It's pure alabaster.
(Only one word of warning: It doesn't seem to agree with some serums (MUAC's Gly-Luronic Serum comes to mind) and moisturizers on the market. However, I didn't have any problems with Olay's All-Day Moisturizer, although you have to use a microscopic amount in order for it not to turn into a grease fest.)
The product glides onto your skin perfectly and evenly. I use my fingers to apply it all over my face because its consistency is closer to a moisturizer. And even so it blends in flawlessly, without any patches or blotches. The coverage is great, but not intended for people who have obvious blemishes or scars (if I have a very bad-skin-day or if my skin is irritated, I put in half a pump of Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Foundation to add some coverage).
The beauty of the Face Fabric Second Skin foundation is that it is supposed to be featherlight and not noticeable. The finish is dewy with light reflecting particles adding some radiance to your skin. It sets to a powdery finish, but I prefer to use at least some powder to set it. I hate being self-conscious about not being able to touch my face in order for my foundation not to come off.
I don't know how long this lasts without being set by a powder, but once you dust a layer of powder over it, it seems to last for ages. Ten hours at work and it's still like new without any touch-ups.
To sum it up: This is HG stuff. For me at least, since I have IMMENSE trouble finding anything that matches my skin tone. But even if you ignore this factor, the consistency, finish and staying power is top-top-top-notch. Even the price seems puny considering how long it lasts. Definitely the best buy I made in this category!
Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination Hair: Brunette Eyes: Black
This is a little miracle for those who don't want to look made up.
This featherweight foundation glides on the skin to make it look oh so perfect oh so subtly. It is a sheer fluid mousse like foundation that is perfect for daily coverage that gives my skin a flawless, smooth appearance. It has a rather matte finish at first but becomes very skin-like with a very slight glow once it settles. The best thing about it: it is indetectable!! It can be applied with a foundation brush, kabuki brush or fingers which is how I apply it. I'm gonna give it a try with a foundation brush and will edit my review if it changes the look of the foundation!! It comes in a very hygienic and convenient tube and costs $45. I am NC 25 and use the shade 2 throughout the year but I use #3 during the summer.
This the perfect compromise between a tinted moisturizer and a foundation. Giorgio Armani, you impress me again!
Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry Hair: Blond Eyes: Green
I tried this hoping that it would help, but alas it was not in the cards. I bought this in #4 for the summer. I know that #3 would be better for me in the winter.
I added a small dusting of BE powder after I applied this (over sunscreen), but my wrinkles popped out, what a fright! I will use this since I have had compliments on my skin while wearing this.
It does make my pores appear smaller, It does even my complextion a bit, it does give a bit of a haze to hide some small wrinkles, it does make the redness seem non-exsistant, but for the most part this gives a total "natural look" that I really wanted.
I need to find a foundation that makes me look ten years younger during the winter without the help of any powder. I want to look in the mirror and say "WOW who is that?" and have my husband ask the same.
I don't believe in conceler since I don't have bags to hide. I need a 3 minute face that knocks "em dead all day. This does not seem to last all day and I must touch up before going out. I must add the sunscreen or nothing works and if I have added powder it becomes a mess.
I love the way it feels every time, but every time I always get one small bump on my face. If I sweat the makeup is gone.
If the price for this beauty is to re-make my face up every time, then I don't want to do this anymore. It's just too much work for the price. I wonder if LSF is as sheer and strange to me? Maybe that will work.
I need to make this work right. Maybe it's me and my appication of this product. Time for lessons.
Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown
I really do love this product. It feels extremely light on the skin and gives an almost powdery, even but dewy finish that I find very flattering on me. The texture is very special indeed - it is silicone based so its not oily or sticky - rather it is a tint that helps diffuse the light such that you stay matt without looking dry. I have combination skin and I find this product great at keeping my skin looking even rather than highlight my oily T zone like some tinted moisturisers and liquid foundations do.
I would definitely recommend this product if you require only light coverage and some evening out of the skin tone. Perfect for the summer and hot weather if you pair it with a good sunblock. Looks so natural its really like your second skin!
My only gripe is the price and the fact that I've since gotten darker in the summer and #2 is abit light on me now. Also it only has SPF 12 which is insufficient in my opinion.
Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown Eyes: Green
LOVE this product. It doesn't feel like you are wearing makeup at all. I cannot stand foundation so have always used a tint. This gives a sheer coverage and a fresh flawless complextion without looking made up. I use Chantecaille's compact makeup up very sparingly over my t zone to touch up when necessary during the day and the two work perfectly together.
UPDATE: I'm afraid that Chantecailles Just Skin knocks spots off this. I was a GAFF convert for well over a year until I tried CJS. It makes your face look to much healthier and alive and if someone had told me that before I tried it I wouldn't have believed it. If you are thinking of buying this just try CJS too and compare.
Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green
EDIT: 17TH March
My new tube of this seems less powdery, more slimy and URGH - has a very strong smell of Nivea and I hate the smell of Nivea. Why do they have to mess around with formulations???
This foundation reminds me a bit of Chanel's discontinued Double Perfection Creme Poudre foundation in the tube, in that it's like a combination of powder and silicone.
1) It's sheer and looks very natural
2) It doesn't have the oil that most foundations have and so I didn't have to apply much powder - that really is saying something for an oily girl like me!
3) It seems to be long lasting
4) I don't have much t-zone oil after 4 hours of wear
1) I wear a sunblock and this probably doesn't sit as perfectly as it would do on bare skin but it's still good.
2) Although the powdery texture is undoubtedly good for oily skins, even if I apply this as sheerly as possible, I just think it deadens the skin around the eyes a little bit, making my skin look flat and slightly dull.
3) I chose no.3 as no.2 looked too pale and no.4 too orange. I'm a C4 -C5 with a little bit of N3 mixed in with it (MAC F&B foundation) As another poster has said the no.3 shade has a bit of yellow in it and it isn't the greatest shade. Their Luminous Skin Shade 5.5 is much better on me.
So in conclusion, looking in the mirror at the end of day, I was happy to see that I wasn't an oil slick and that I looked natural however I possibly looked dull, flat, jaded natural as opposed to radiant, brimming with health natural. This would be very good for the beach where there's a lot of natural light and you don't want to look loaded up with makeup however at an evening party this might look lack va,va, voom without an inner glow. Not sure if I'll continue with this, perhaps I'll just apply it to my t-zone and use another more radiant product around the eyes and cheeks.
Update July 1st: Now that it is boiling hot - this is great, very natural, I still need powder over my t-zone but it looks much better than even the sheerest liquid foundation. I go very, very lightly around my eyes. When the sun is very bright, liquid foundation can look too shiny, especially if it has titanium dioxide in it but this dosesn't do that.
Love that the packaging is just an elegant, simple matte plastic tube that you squeeze to get the product out. I like to get every last bit out and I hate having to cut through tough plastic or stick q-tips down glass bottles.