Review of Chapstick 100% Naturals - Lip Butter by luminous
UPDATE 03/20/08: still loving this stuff. still my HG. my mom (prior Lipsyl addict for like 30 years) loves it too and this is now all she uses.
UPDATE 11/29/07: It's been over a month and this is by far the best lip product I've used in my life. My lips are always smooth moisturized, pretty. It's the weirdest thing, too -- I feel like, because of this balm, my lips look better in lipsticks. Like my shape is more defined, simply because my lips finally have the proper moisture in them... plus the lip color wears better. Looks fresh, natural, glowing, rather than just "she's wearing lipstick." I even returned the exfoliating product I had purchased (before trying this), because I didn't need it anymore. *Highly* recommend this stuff. I'm so happy I found it! I'll never use anything else.
I absolutely love this stuff! Itís my new HG night treatment. I fell into it by accident Ė my Burtís Bees (original) was running low, so I went to Target to pick up a new tube. Since they appeared to have stopped carrying the original BB formula (and I don't like the others), I went to the lip balm aisle and found this! Lately I've been having problems with dry lips and l/s flaking. Before buying Lip Butter, I even went out and bought an exfoliating product, because I had started getting lip-border pimples all the time from toothbrush exfoliation. In short, I have dry/sensitive skin AND lips. :p
Back to the Lip Butter... I put it on at night and wake up to beautifully plump, soft, healthy lips. So soft that exfoliation is almost unnecessary. Let me emphasize that softness, because itís something I really notice in lip care. The feeling is.. a sort of baby-softness Ė a flawless smoothness. Even if I forget to moisturize my lips in the daytime.
What I love about it:
1) For a mainstream brand, it has no petroleum, and very, verrrry few chemicals. (Itís really not ď100% natural,Ē as you can see by the ingredient list shown by the first reviewer, but itís also not overwhelmingly packed with chemicals, as are almost all lip treatments out there).
2) Unlike Burtís Bees, itís extremely easy to apply Ė you never feel like youíre tugging. Just goes on smoothly, feels moisturized and wonderful. (Even though it contains oils and has a semi-glossy finish, I don't feel "oily," like I've just rubbed cooking oil all over my mouth or something. I had that feeling with a Blistex roll-on product a while ago.) This super-moisturized feel lasts a while, and then absorbs in (but doesnít leave you feeling dry). Again, a perfect overnight treatment.
3) I love the smell Ė itís very, VERY subtle (I had to really get close and take a deep whiff), but I can detect a hint of vanillaÖ or maybe cake. :D So, not overpowering by any means, but thereís something faintly there if you like a luxurious aroma (which I do).
4) Thereís no taste. At least none that I can detect.
5) Itís easy to find, both in stores and online.
6) Itís cheap! I paid $2.99 at Target. Excellent lip care doesnít have to be expensive.
7) I have to say, I love the packaging! Size- and shape-wise, it looks exactly like the other chapstick lip treatments, except the tube is lavender, the cap is a pretty frosty-vanilla shade, and the words ďLip ButterĒ are written in a fancy script font. All in all, the product is a pleasure to look at, and to use.
I think Chapstick as a brand is sometimes underrated or overlooked, given the plethora of luxury companies & products out there todayÖ and I admit, I havenít considered buying their products for years. Probably recognizing their industry disadvantage, they created this new line, and theyíve done a fantastic job with the Lip Butter. I kinda want to try the Botanical Medley formula (the other item in the 100% Naturals line) but I love the Lip Butter so much I almost donít want to put anything else on my lips. lol.
Overall I can see myself using this for years and years. I canít really see any downsides. Sure, it doesnít contain SPF, but I use different products for day vs. night anyway. This is fantastic for night. I bought one for my mom, and will be recommending it to everyone else any chance I get.