I used the 4oz bottle of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler that you see pictured (blue labeling). What I did:
1. Skipped shampoo and used a good conditioner in the shower for detangling purposes, and rinsed out.
2. Used a wide tooth comb to detangle.
3. Put hair up in a towel to get most of the water out.
4. Poured 3/4 bottle of protein filler into a spray bottle (as I have near waist length hair in the back), then apply all over and extra on the ends -comb through.
5. Twisted up hair and watched tv for at least 20 minutes. *Do NOT rinse out after the 20 min, but just blot excess instead.
6. Sectioned off hair (only doing a root touch-up), I started applying hair color in the back first, working my way up and forward. *If I were doing a full head, I would do the length of my hair first, leaving the roots for last (being the heat from the scalp will speed up the process causing the roots to turn out much lighter than the rest of my hair, which = uneven color).
7. I had used Revlon Colorsilk in 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde. After I had fully applied it where needed, I let it develop for an hour being I have strong yellow/red undertones (from my Scott/Irish/Cherokee background no doubt). And of course, after this I rinsed really well, then followed up with the awesome conditioner that is included with this colorant -leaving in for at least 10 minutes while I shave ect.
8. Marveled at how beautiful my hair color turned out, and was amazed at how healthy/strong it feels. (My natural hair color is a level 7, and I lighten to at least a level 10).
I have been coloring my own hair, for the most part, since the early 90's, and WISH that I had known about/used something like this protein filler before & during coloring. I love the difference it has made in protecting my hair -making it stronger, and ensuring more even color results. Love the results it gives and love the price! But you do need to pick up a spray bottle as it's consistency is like water. This will make all the difference in even distribution. I HIGHLY recommend!!