Review of L'Oreal Revitalift Total Repair 10 BB Cream by ExpatBeauty
* PRODUCT - L'Oreal Revitalift Total Repair 10 BB Cream in “Light”. This is the 3rd or 4th BB cream to hit the mainstream European market since last year. It is touted as a multi-action, anti-ageing moisturizer with SPF 20 to help target 10 signs of aging. It also includes UVA protection and an SPF 20 to help protect against the premature skin aging effects of the sun.
* MY SKIN TONE - NC25-30 (medium-to-light beige with yellow undertones). Normal to dry. A little drier in the winter.
* PACKAGING - A hygienic opaque 50 ml. pump with cap that’s packaged in a sealed box. If you are familiar with Olay’s Total Effects Moisturizer pump, this pump is exactly the same. The pump does have a tendency to distribute too much product if pressed too hard. Placed side by side, it is about the same size as Skin79’s Super + BB Cream Triple Functions (aka: the pink bottle) except Skin79’s packaging is heavier, feels more sturdy and is more elegant overall.
* SKIN TONE COMPATIBILITY - This “Light” tone matches my NC25-30 skin well. Compared to Garnier’s Miracle Skin Perfector which I also have in “Light”, this is much darker. This could even be considered medium or even dark compared to Garnier’s "Light" equivalent. Thus, if you are pale and/or are very pale, this “Light” shade would not be suitable. Always test it out before purchasing to make sure. And compared to the weird Nude Magique BB Cream by L’Oreal, this does not turn my skin a ghastly orange.
* PRODUCT APPLICATION & REMOVAL - Apply like a tinted moisturizer. A little bit of product goes a very long way. And since this is a makeup product, it must be removed with makeup remover.
* TEXTURE - Like a creamy foundation or slightly thick tinted moisturizer. Cream texture is similar to Skin79 (hot pink) and Missha Perfect Cover BB creams. On my normal to dry skin, it feels comfortable. Not sticky, not heavy. It feels thicker than Garnier’s Miracle Skin Perfector. There is a very slight, light scent but it’s not as strong as Garnier’s.
* COVERAGE - Light coverage. It is somewhat buildable but only to a limited extent. It does even out skin tone though I still have to use concealer for blemishes.
* WEARABILITY - This is creamy and moisturizing. It is important to blend quickly because I noticed that when I waited too long to blend or if I didn’t blend well quickly enough, this has as a tendency to “pill up” or "ball up". But once it’s blended well and absorbed into the skin, it feels natural. I’ve only worn this alone and/or with spot concealer, not with any other skin care or makeup products. As for the 10-in-1 claims:
1. Wrinkles appear reduced - True.
2. Skin feels firmer - Not sure.
3. Covers imperfections - True but it's very sheer.
4. Enhances skin tone - True.
5. Skin surface appears even - True.
6. Skin feels smoother - True.
7. Illuminates complexion - True. I think the SPF helps in this “glowy-ness” category.
8. Hydrates for 24hrs - Not sure.
9. Covers Age Spots - True but it's very sheer.
10. Protects Against UV - True. It has SPF 20.
* COMPARISON TO OTHER BB CREAMS - Unlike Korean BB creams, there is no initial gray cast so there’s no need to wait for it to adapt to the skin tone. I find that this provides better coverage than the Garnier Miracle Skin Protector BB Cream. And it's got a decent (though not great) SPF 20.
* CONS - The product claims to include UVA protection but without a PPD rating, this claim is meaningless. L’Oreal owns the patent to Mexoryl SX and XL, the most advanced sunscreen UVA filters available. This is what sets the Anthelios sunscreen range by La Roche-Posay (which is owned by parent company L’Oreal) apart from all other sunscreens. I really wish L’Oreal would have added Mexoryl SX and/or XL in this BB cream formulation!
* PRICE - Around €13 at Carrefour. Available at all drugstores, look for discount coupons!
* VERDICT - While this doesn't beat the Korean BB creams mentioned above, it does a pretty good job at a pretty decent price and is easily available here unlike the Korean BB creams which I have to order online (and pay a lot more for). And out of all the BB creams to have hit the European market in the last year or so, I think that this is the most promising. On my normal to dry skin, it's feels hydrating and comforting and lasts almost all day long without the need for touch-up. The ingredient list includes niacinamide (aka: vitamin B3) and retyinyl palmitate (vitamin A), great for anti-aging. I cannot attest to its long term anti-aging qualities and long-term benefits yet but I hope that the long-term benefits of using this product do come true. Here's to hoping!