December 18, 2014 | 1809 users online

Eye Shadow - Rimmel - Smokin! Kohl Shadow in Black

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2009 6:48:00 PM More reviews by AshleyD2010

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

it is ok. gets everywhere though and product collects on tip of brush. would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Quiet_Avenger

For under $5, an eye-safe powder kohl liner in great portable packaging.
I've been tempted by Guerlain's powder kohls, but at the moment that's a splurge I just can't afford.
This comes in a small plastic vial with a twist-off top. The applicator has a small, dense sponge tip so that the product stays on the end. Pull the wand out of the vial, place the tip in the inner corner of your eye. Close the eye, pulling the eyelid taut with your finger, and sweep the applicator to the outer edge of the eye. If there's any fallout (and there won't be much, if any) sweep it off with a Q-tip, and voila! Perfect kohl-rimmed eyes.

The color wears well--doesn't travel, doesn't fade. I wear contacts, and have no problems with irritation.

My only gripe? The shade name "Black" is misleading--it's a deep cool grey. continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2007 6:36:00 PM More reviews by FedoraJane

I love all of Rimmel's kohl products, both the liners and the shadows. (Although, I suggest avoiding Rimmel's foundations like the plague)

I've been wanting to try kohl powder as an eye liner for a long time, and finally Rimmel delivers. It's the texture that makes it so wonderful - it's very silky and dense, almost creamy.

It comes in a little, purse-friendly tube with a surprisingly good applicator that holds product with little fall out. Essentially, it's a small round bulb that tapers to a fine tip. You can apply fine lines with the tip or thick ones using the rounded sides with relative ease.

I pair this with Rimmel's kohl kajal pencil and they compliment each other well. The pencil provides a base for the powder to cling to, while the powder also sets the liner in place. There wills till be some traveling, but it is minimal, and a two-second clean up sweep with a tissue fixes this. I always say that if you want the smoky look of kohl, then you have to tolerate the occassional traveling.

The effect this gives is totally worth using two eyeliners and the extra step! Holy smokey-but-casual eyes Batman!

Yes this is an eyeshadow, but I use it as a liner instead, so I'm not sure if it creases or what not.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2007 3:42:00 PM More reviews by stmcdm

I actually got the green one. The packaging and application method just doesn't appeal to me. Won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2007 6:48:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

The best thing about this product is probably its method of application.

The Smokin! Kohl Shadow comes in a short clear plastic tube, the cap screws off and has a wand like applicator with a rubbery rounded end for application. There is also quite a bit of product making the price tag worth it for a drugstore item. The shade is labeled as black, but actually shows up more of a dark gray. It looks slightly shimmery in the tube, but can't say I really detect any shimmer once applied.

I like it b/c it works well as a liner and a regular shadow. And the reason I love the applicator so much is b/c it is about the *ONLY* way I can apply black or super dark shadows to my entire lid and not look ridiculous. For some people this may be not a big deal, but I am seriously not capable of applying dark shadows with a regular eyeshadow brush w/o looking like a whore lol. It gives me so much control w/o the product flying everywhere. Alas though this product doesn't work very well on the lower lash line w/o smudging or fading away.

The wear otherwise is okay. Certainly nothing spectacular but it holds up decently. I really want to try the other shades that are offered which include Brown, Green, Taupe, Blue & Silver. continued >>