December 22, 2014 | 1842 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Annreba

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Alright, I have dark brown hair just to my ears...that pulls red(Oranges etc)..... In the past 14 months I have been a regular at Sallys and in hair color lane at pharmacies etc. Learning testing as a semi-beginner.

I'm still trying products to be sure....but wanted to let anyone interested know the Ion 5A light Ash brown perm at least does something compared to the many products out there that just basically suck.

I look at all my pics from the last year of experimenting and although this isn't my ideal color it's done best job all in all.

If you have dark brown hair and want it light , try this. It's not going to be 'blond' etc........but if your hair pulls reds , put this 5a perm ion on it. Follow directions etc...

*******prefer to bleach my hair ( area I want light) out first to light orange or close enough....then color with this , about 10plus minutes and start watching....... it get it a light color with no reds....I m not sure what the effect if I just add to virgin hair...hmmmmmm might have to test that out...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by salhon

I used this color on my and my daughter's hair for over two years. Overall, the blonde shades came out nice on my daughter's hair, but the reddish brown shade on mine just made it seem dull. I wanted a rich color, and I think my hair looked worse after I colored it! The color didn't have a strong smell while I was applying it, but it had a fairly strong smell later that evening. It took a couple days for the smell to go away. It also seemed to fade fairly quickly. Overall, I was not happy with my results. I switched to the Aragon Oil Hair Color brand and am much happier now.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by koltira

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

12.1A High Lift Ash Blonde
COLOR : ★★★★★
LASTING POWER : ★☆☆☆☆
CONDITION HAIR WAS LEFT IN : ★★★★★

EDIT: The ash faded in a couple of washes. The search continues.
I've just used this but it's lifted my hair a level or two [my sister said, wow did you hair get blonder?] and it actually turned my hair ash unlike the 8A. We'll see if it fades/turns orange after a couple of washes.

8A Light Ash Blonde
COLOR : ★☆☆☆☆
LASTING POWER : ★☆☆☆☆
CONDITION HAIR WAS LEFT IN : ★★★★★
EDIT: My hair turned orange after a couple of washes. After looking through the reviews, my experience mimics CR000's. Their review is a lot more detailed than mine. If you go to Most Helpful, you can see his there.

Ion is gentle, as always. On the bright side, it did nothing, but it also did NOTHING. Why does this have such high marks? I used 8A light ash blonde on my bleached yellow and all it did was kept the undertone and simply darkened it. Not light, not ash, or blonde really. The reds and golds might be good, but stay away if you're looking for an ashy colour... Overall, it did hold up to claim of gentleness but not do what it was supposed to do so a 2/5.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Sparkly2013

First of all, do not buy the cream, buy the liquid. I cannot stand the cream. It doesn't mix well and is a lot harder to work with than using the liquid in a bottle. I have been dying my hair with 2/3 8RC and 1/3 7RC mixed with 20 volume developer. My natural hair color is a level 9 ash blonde. Initially the red faded out very badly but this is likely due to the fact that my hair was over bleached by a salon "professional" who had no idea what he was doing. I have now been dying my hair red for almost 6months. Initially the dye takes fairly dark but within a week fades down to a natural red/copper color. I will say that it looks nothing like the swatch as Sally's. My mix is closer to a 5 or 6 RC, not a 7 or 8. Overall great price and it leaves my hair feeling soft and pretty after each dye. Note, I do use the ion after color sealer as well as the ion deep conditioner in the red bottle afterwards.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by scientistcarlos

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i'd consider this a pretty decent hair dye.
here's some specifics:
pros:
-it has lasted longer in my hair than any semi permanent hair dye ever has, 3 weeks and counting
-it hasn't bled at all. like, on anything.
-super cheap ($7)
-not the most vivid colour, but a really nice colour
cons:
-was hard to work with. almost like gel.
-went on unevenly
-not a very vivid colour
-not much dye in the package. i have a pixie cut and i used all of it
-made my hair look greasy
-probably the biggest con.... i bought the sky blue colour and well... it was green.
now you might think that the fact it turned out green would be a dealbreaker, its still a super nice colour, and i'm okay with it to be totally honest.
if you're looking for a specific colour, i'd say go with something more reliable like manic panic. but with how long this stuff has lasted in my hair, i'm pretty impressed so i'll give it a good review.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used quite a few shades from this brand in the past. I do agree with previous reviewers that the colors run dark. My virgin roots are about a level 2 with some grey now starting to appear. I chose a neutral shade for its grey coverage, originally I tried their 6N shade with a 30 volume developer but it only took my roots to a medium brown. So I moved to their Level 8 (Light Blonde) mixing 1/2 oz 8N plus 1/4 oz each 8A and 8V with 1 oz of 30 volume developer, apply this to my roots only and process for 25-30 minutes. It turns my roots the perfect light neutral brown color I am looking for. If my color needs to be refreshed (I have highlights that are growing out and they tend to get brassy) I now use One n' Only Demi Permanent Argan Color in 7N on the midshaft & ends to minimize further damage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

I don't know why this has such a high score on reviews because it is probably the worst hair dye I have ever used in my entire life. For reference, my hair is naturally dark brown, almost black and VERY thick, I have long hair to the small of my back. Back when turned my hair an ash blonde by accident, I was looking for a dye to deposit on my hair that would turn it a copper red, because I have always loved copper red hair since watching Titanic with my sister.
Long story short, the lady at Sally's recommended a shade that was an orange red and looked beautiful on the hair display. I purchased 5 tubes to cover all my hair and the Ion developer too, a freaking EXPENSIVE purchase because this hair dye isn't cheap at all! I followed instructions and the supposedly “orange red" hair dye had turned my ash blonde hair into CHOCOLATE BROWN hair. Not only that, but the Ion developer and the hair color had made my scalp change out of nowhere and it was a greasy mess every time. It increased the amount of times I had to shampoo and wash my head in a month.
I found through the years after this Ion mess, drugstore dyes (Garnier- Hot Tamale and Color & Art hair dye in the shade 7.40) have done more for my hair than this Ion crap. My hair is now the red I have always wanted, and NOT thanks to Ion. I only give props to Ion for their amazing hair irons! The end.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Jhernandez214

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this product for my mom she had a natural level 5 her new growth was a level 2 bought an ion color natural 4 so she wanted it darker .....did an all over color, sectioned, saturated really good used 20 developer it should've deposit the color good her new growth came out good but the level 5 was not so great it still looked the same as if the color did not deposit. Ok my mom has a lot of grays the only reason her gray came out good was because I added some drops of gray magic other than that I didn't not like

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by AwesomeAkwardness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been one of the most disappointing products I have used. I purchased Jet Black in the permanent range and colored my hair less than two weeks ago. I made sure to apply everything evenly and left it on for the suggested amount of time... And it's already faded so badly and unevenly.
I don't know if it's the product itself or something I have done.
I will say I don't currently use a sulfate free shampoo, but even the crappy black box dyes held up at least a month.
Now one of the good things about this is that it did not dry out or damage my hair very much at all, in fact my hair was very soft and SOOOO very shiny

I will use up the rest of the dye and see if goes better next time, but I will probably not be buying this ever again. I will either try a different cheaper brand like Wella or just suck it up and buy something like Redken.

*EDIT*
I have recently switched to a sulfate free shampoo, and while it doesn't fade AS quick, it still fades super unevenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by dayle81

I've been going to salons for years to keep my naturally dark brown hair a medium coppery color. They do an okay job, but at $120 plus tip it had gotten a little old. I picked up two tubes of light copper brown and the sensitive skin 20vol developer as well as the ion color sealer and shine treatment. Twenty minutes on the dark regrowth and an additional fifteen pulled through the lengths, followed by a shampoo and the ion sealer and shine treatment mixed 1:1 for about five minutes. The color is radiant, deep, shiny and gorgeous. It's even root to tip with no hot roots. I spent about five dollars on two tubes and another five on the developer. I mixed two tubes to 4oz developer in a bowl and first painted my regrowth then I pulled out through the lengths. It turned out AMAZING. I can't believe ten bucks and some online research will save me a thousand bucks this year. Be advised that their colors do tend to pull darker by about a shade. I'll update when I know what fade will look like. All in all, its a good buy.