July 29, 2014 | 1959 users online

Treatments (Face) - Derma E - Firming DMAE Creme

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by rosie99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I usually love Derma e products so I was happy to find this in the sale bin at Ulta. I'm really weird about trying new stuff on my face because its so sensitive and acne prone. I decided to try it on my neck first because I can use about any product there with no problems. Woke up in the middle of the night with my neck on fire. Red welts everywhere. It has taken a week for my neck to get back to normal. I'm afraid of this stuff! It went right into the garbage.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by angelalynnc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for about a year now and see a huge difference in the overall age of my skin. Nothing that I can pin-point, like a specific wrinkle that is gone, or age spots etc; but I am 36 and people ask me if I am in college- and trust me - I don't just "look young" normally; I always battle with my skin! Everything makes me break out, or dries me out. I went into early menopause at 26 so my skin started aging and looking tired pretty quickly. I can't use things that have Glycerin in them, which is almost everything, and most anti-ager's are to harsh and drying; so I was really happy to find this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

I have mixed feelings about this product. Although it did help tighten my skin, in a reference photo of my face following four weeks of use I actually saw lines that were formed in and around my chin from the skin being pulled too taught!

On the one hand, DERMA E DMAE, Alpha Lipoic Acid and C-Ester Retexturizing Creme seems to have helped make my skin tone become more even. On the other hand, I have developed a lot of Milia pearly flesh-white bumps that won't go away now! Based on my reading of how DMAE works on the skin I believe the DERMA E DMAE, Alpha Lipoc Acid and C-Ester Retexturizing Creme may be the chief culprit. It is also possible that the downsides of this product are amplified alongside other products that have an entirely different action on skin cell turnover rates. (Disclosure: Other products I use contain pycnogenol, aloa vera, vitamin E, coconut oil, hyaluronic acid, peptides, retinol and AHAs.) The result of the regimen I started for anti-aging some three months ago is that I appear far less tired. Dark circles, in particular, have faded considerably. Wrinkles are indeed diminished and age spots have faded for a more even and radiant skin tone. Sadly, these gains are offset by the fact that in looking too closely my facial skin is now peppered with small flesh-tone bumps, a condition I formerly did not suffer from.

Without getting too technical, DMAE would appear to be the chief suspect in the proliferation of Milia. I am making this educated guess because it plumps up the skin with more fluid, while bolstering some of the underlying collagen and muscle tone to reduce skin sagging. To achieve these impressive results, DMAE apparently slows the action of certain components of skin fibroblasts* therefore I suspect the Milia are an accumulation of fluid/sebum that are trapped by a breakdown in the cellular turnover process. For exfoliation purposes, I use Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (clay) or an AHA Masque (Freeman Pineapple) once a week. I also use an apricot scrub (Freeman) about once a month. Twice a week I use a 10% glycolic lotion. On the other nights of the week I use a Retinol "rescue" product (the latter products by Alpha Hydrox). To hold my mostly hormonal breakouts at bay I use Clean & Clear Continuous Control (benzyol peroxide) each morning and a 2% salicylic acid face wash at night (this pre-dates my anti-aging regimen by several years). None of this has prevented or eliminated the development of Milia.

To troubleshoot my skin care routine, I will eliminate various products in my anti-aging regimen to see if the Milia halt. First in line, is the Swanson Vitamins Pycnogenol Creme (the product with the coconut oil in it). If in cutting back on one or more of the products I typically use I learn that the Milia are eliminated even though I have continued to apply this DERMA E DMAE product, I will update my review accordingly.

CONCLUSION

For the first month of use I thought the Milia were a fluke and because of this I have continued to use the DERMA E creme. The Milia started out on my forehead but they are now running the length of my cheekbones, too. If that were not bad enough, I have also begun to suffer more breakouts of the more commonplace sort, too! So the long and the short of it is, yes DERMA E DMAE retexturizing creme does tighten and even out skin tone; however, skin cell turnover is intended to progress at a certain rate and if part of that process is interrupted with the result being a retention of water and sebum it can result in skin problems of another sort hardly a desirable form of "retexturizing" at all! That's the theory anyhow, and I'm sticking to it!

* DMAE and skin cell turnover: http://www.truthinaging.com/ingredient-spotlight/what-is-it-dmae-anti-ager-or-cell-killer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by snoopy68

I bought this creme for only $10 at my local grocer, so to say at the very least it was extremely cheap. I use this as an am creme, as opposed to a pm creme (roseseed hip oil + evening primrose oil is my night creme). The first thing I noticed with this product is the smell...funky skunky odor! It takes a little bit for ithe odor to die down. Now...I've been using this for a little bit over a month and I'm here to say that this creme is just the loveliest thing on this earth! My skin tone is noticeably smoother, clearer, and just glowing. I've also noticed a decrease with any fine lines that I have. I put this on my neck, chest (which is really showing signs of aging), and the back of my hands and I've noticed that the skin in those areas has without a doubt has improved in tone. I can get over the skunky smell for the sake of bright, luminous skin! I love this product, absolutely love it. Kuddos to Derma E for making such a wonderful product that actually delivers results.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by jahyunkim

1. Not a pleasant smell. I tend to avoid using the product because the smell is so bad.

2. Have been using this product day and night for 5 days. A little goes a long way. It is a good moisturizing cream-- not too thick, not too light (for my oily skin)-- but I do not see any lifting or tightened effect that this product claims.

that's all. This cream was not impressive at all. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2012 7:36:00 PM More reviews by nitekatz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Make sure that you do a patch test on this product before you try it on your whole face. The small insert states that this cream can not be tolerated by everyone. I happen to be one of the unlucky ones. I used it the first day and got some redness in certain spots and not much more. I used it again the second day and the redness got worse so I decided to stop. Well from day three to now (been 4 days since initial use) my face had a severe reaction. My chin is the worst. I have never had a problem with acne in my whole life but my chin is VERY red and it is covered with whiteheads, and the skin feels lumpy/bumpy in addition to the whiteheads. It has shown no signs yet of getting better. I have no idea how long this will take to go away. I will never use anything that contains these ingredients again. So be careful and do a patch test to avoid the possibility of this happening to you.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by esmeralda1977

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted this to work, but unfortunately it didn't moisturize well and the amoint of blackheads on my nose grew exponentially within 3 days. I will use it on my neck and cleavage but sadly I can't use it on my combination skin anymore. However, the texture is lovely and I can't say anything negative about the scent.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Sweryn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I do see some improvement in my skin after using this. Seems like it's more brighter and more even out. Doesn't seem moisturizing enough for me though. I would love if it had SPF too.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by mforest

This cream took 10 years off my face. I am a 42 year old male, people tell me I look early 30's. I alternate between the cream and the serum. Both firm up my face better than I could have imagined and have improved the pigmentation of my skin. Both have a light, pleasant fragrance. It's important that you apply it within 5 minutes of washing to make sure it is absorbed well. I use a Clarisonic twice a day with the Derma E DMAE wash and apply the cream immediately after.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This does give the skin a smooth & brighter look, much like a Vitamin C (under 10%) product. However, for my dry skin, it is not moisturizing enough, which is not a problem since I can always layer a heavier cream on top. So this act like a serum. When I used about 1/4 teaspoonful, I feel the slight tingling (burning) which lasted about 10 seconds or so, but only if I used this much.
The smell does smells somewhat like those stink weeds, the illegal kind that people smoke. It doesn't bother me much & it disappeared in about 5 minutes. I much prefer that than adding some gawd-awful fragrance or even worse, put a deodorizer to negate the smell that mislead people to think there is "no added" fragrance, much like Clinique.
I will buy again, in fact, I already ordered 2 more. It is a bargain for $13.