MakeupAlley Android appFREE DOWNLOAD
Get MakeupAlley App >

Mane 'n Tail Shampoo

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Protein, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin.

Girl from the gym recommended because I'm growing my hair. I was seriously skeptical--there's a horse on the bottle--but I just tried it and was really surprised.
First, I love the barely-there fragrance. It's very clean, light and gender neural. Then there's the lather. Very nice and bubbly. And of course, the odd consistency: not too creamy, a bit watery but once it lathered up it cleaned very well.
I have yet to determine if this new infatuation lasts so I will update in a week. But it IS a great cleanser. Hopefully my hair will grow grow grow!

on 4/16/2015 1:03:00 AM

I love this shampoo! My hair is on the dry side so I use moisturizing shampoos, but I use this once a week and it cleans and softens my hair beautifully. I love the scent because it doesn't bowl you over like some flowery-scented shampoos. I actually wish the scent lasted for more than a couple hours on my hair. I always buy the biggest size because the price is cheap considering how much product you get. My holy grail for cleansing shampoos.

on 4/1/2015 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Is definetly the shampoo that i want for clarifyng, i use it like 3 times at week
smell is not impresive, but it gives me all that i need from a shampoo

on 3/30/2015 10:19:00 PM

I color treat and remove color a lot on my hair. Along with the damage I receive from that, my hair naturally will break off and become weak. I have definitely noticed strength to my hair once I start using it and it does grow faster. I would recommend it to anyone who has trouble growing hair like I did. This definitely helps but always remember, your diet is the biggest reason for it!

on 3/28/2015 7:57:00 PM

My hair has become longer and thicker very slowly. Not sure if its this alone or a mixture of giving my hair a break from dye/heat alongside using the mane n tail shampoo & conditioner. Either way I will continue to use this as its very affordable and hopefully i will continue to see results!

on 3/18/2015 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this shampoo from the equine section at work lol and also purchased the conditioner. I used them both for a while habitually and then kind of off and on and now I don't even know where they disappeared to.

Basically this is a decent shampoo and conditioner. You get A LOT of product as the bottles are huge and the scent is bleh. It doesn't smell pretty or feminine but it smells like cleanly.

I would NOT recommend this to someone who colors/processes/heat styles their hair. This is like a duo best suited for virginal/unblemished hair. Nowadays everything is free of this or double that. If you do any of the aforementioned you should buy the hair products that are geared for those needs; protein rich, moisture-rich, sulfate-free, etc.

OH and this stuff will not make your hair grow faster/longer. The only means of helping that process along are things like water, vitamins, proper diet, blah blah, heat protectant, blah blah, abstaining from all hair alterations (color/styling, etc)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I used to use this when I was in high school and cut my hair once super short. I have in between wavy and curly hair. Gets oily within 2-3 days. I think it works best for hair that isn't color treated or too damaged from the beginning. for 8 years I have been rotating shampoos and conditioners like crazy and haven't found any other product that leaves my hair like this one. recently had to come back to it. I also love the smell. My hair feels super clean and becomes very soft and shiny when it's dry. I use both shampoo and conditioner. No idea why I even stopped using this in the first place.

on 3/10/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I remember using this shampoo when I was growing up and loving it. I saw that the shampoo was on sale at my local drugstore, I picked up a bottle as I needed a shampoo and was getting bored with the current brand I was using. I was actually very excited to see if the results from the past would again be seen this time around.

They weren't. The shampoo was fine, just fine. It cleansed my hair and smelled good. But I didn't notice a difference. I guess I was hoping to be blown away or at least love the shampoo as I had when I was younger, but it didn't happened. A plus side is that you get A LOT of product for the price you pay. So much so, that I couldn't finish it and had to retire it.

Good but not great.

on 3/9/2015 4:14:00 PM

I purchased this product because it was on sale for buy one get one free. I remembered my mom said she used it to help my hair grow when it was lost due to perming. I am now 2 years natural. I have a curly wavy texture to my hair. A year ago I went in for a trim and the lady cut my hair instead and I have since than been trying to grow it back, in which it was down my back past my bra strap. When she cut it it became neck length. Nothing worked for growing my hair until I found the Mane And Tail Shampoo and Conditioner. I noticed tremendous growth. My hair is still growing as I use the products. My hair produces a lot of oil so I wash every 2-3 days. I don't really like the feel of my hair after using the shampoo or the conditioner so I use another conditioner that makes it soft and has easy slip. Overall I will be buying this product again. I understood that it probably wouldn't help my hair grow because everyone is different but the product did not dissappoint me. The smell is not bad it smells like medicine to me.

on 2/28/2015 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference, I have virgin Asian hair. I don't use any styling products and rarely use heat. I didn't notice any difference in hair health, growth, or shine after switching to this shampoo. I used it in conjunction with the Mane 'N Tail conditioner at first, but also started rotating other conditioners (Dove, random samples) when I found the matching pair didn't work as well I would want. However, it is a reasonably priced low-fragrance no-frills shampoo which suits my needs. It goes on sale frequently at Sally's too.

Overall, it's a regular shampoo. I may repurchase again if nothing new catches my eye.