July 22, 2014 | 1130 users online

Skincare - Face - Stridex - Triple Action Pads, Alcohol Free

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by LizzyBerry

Just bought these tonight. Honestly hoping these work, so far I've used them once and it's feeling good. Before I had bought these pads from a health spa I go to and noticed the number one ingredient was alcohol and they charged me $64 for that piece of shit!! I was so angry once I started reading what was actually in it. Now they won't let me return it, so annoyed.

So anyway I really like the whole pad idea and feel, but I wanted to find something without alcohol. These seem to be the only kind without alcohol so thank you Stridex! Although they need to get rid of the fragrance and menthol as it's not healthy to put that on your face.

These are dirt cheap so I guess I have nothing to lose except a break out. So far no irritation from first time use. I have a regular gentle lactic cleanser that I use day and night that also has some salicylic acid in it so I'm thinking of using these pads every other night as to not over do it.

I'll update in two weeks from now with hopefully nicer skin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

The no-alcohol stridex 2% bha pads are great, they are very effective, gentle and inexpensive. I discovered the wonder of bha for acne prone skin years ago, and I actually prefer Paula's Choice 2% lotion for my face, and her 9% bha for spot treatments on my face. I use stridex on my bikini line and the backs of my thighs where I'm prone to getting bumps or ingrown hairs from shaving. These work wonderful for those purposes, I never end up with any razor burn anymore and it keeps my skin clear and smooth. I would definitely recommend trying these if you have acne or clog prone skin on any part of your body.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by firekelpie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Sorry guys, here comes a pretty long review... but I think these things are a friggin gift from the gods. They have saved my skin!

Ok, about a month ago I ran out of the Neutrogena facewash I'd been using-- the pink grapefruit scrubby stuff. It wasn't really doing anything for my skin, but it wasn't breaking me out too bad, either. Just kind of "meh". I didn't really feel like spending money on any more of it, and I didn't know what else to get to replace it, and I've been really busy at work and was kind of getting lazy with my skin care regimen... so I just figured, what the heck, I'll use this softsoap antibacterial hand sanitizer-- it can't be bad!

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wronnnnnng! At first my face felt fine; it was super soft and smooth and felt really really clean! ... but after a few weeks? Cystic acne... ALLLL over. Worse and more painful than when I tried the OCM last year. My face just felt swollen, my pores felt clogged and seemed like they were full of pus. (Ew, I know... sorry if that's TMI...) So, feeling like a big ol' idiot, I ran to makeup alley and the /r/skincareaddiction subreddit, saw a bunch of people were using these, and bought some (I also ordered a bunch of new skin care supplies... never ever again will I do this to myself).

These pads ROCK. I used to use them when I was a preteen and they gave me a rash, so I've always been scared to try them again. Also, they look like "boy" stuff. But man, they are just what I needed. In TWO DAYS my acne cysts have stopped hurting, my face is much, much clearer, and it doesn't hurt any more. Even my black heads, which I honestly had given up on, are either gone or drastically diminished. My skin feels better than it did before I was so stupid with it. I love that these don't have alcohol in them-- for some reason, even though it clearly says "alcohol free" on the front of the box, I always thought they had alcohol in them like other astringents.

I think I can continue to use these on a regular basis-- or at least whenever I get an acne flare up, but people with more sensitive skin may not be able to use these for an extended period of time. Theres a menthol aspect to these which I happen to love, but it might be too strong for some. And they don't dry out my mostly oily/combination skin tooooo bad, but I have had some flaky skin around my spots, and if you have normal or dryish skin, they'll probably dry you out pretty fast. I just started using CerAve moisturising lotion (in the pump, not the tub) and CerAve pm facial lotion, and they are (so far) doing a great job of keeping the flakies away (I'll write a review on these after a little more time with them). All in all, these are just fabulous! I'm so happy I tried them again! Seriously-- if you have a stubborn, painful zit, just dab it with one of these before bed (or in my case, I lay a couple pads on my face and let the stuff soak in for 30 seconds or so, and then swiped all over really well), and it will all look so much better in the morning! Love these!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 1:15:00 AM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Who would've thunk it...that at my age (nearing 45) I would be using Stridex pads??? Crazy but after seeing Stridex Triple Action Pads (alcohol free-the red box) recommended again and again here on MUA as an effective and affordable form of salicylic acid, I bought them again for the 1st time since my teens and I have to say that I find them more effective now then I did 30+ years ago! Not only do they give me the skin-smoothing benefits of salicylic acid but they also help to clear up my skin and lessen break outs and blackheads. I have somewhat sensitive skin, dry to normal w/ mild rosacea, and am able to use these 2ce a day, every day, without any problems. LOVE THEM!!!

Pros - Easy to find in stores, inexpensive, easy to use and highly effective

Cons - i can't think of any!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 2:04:00 AM More reviews by Ninisinger13

This is a MIRACLE WORKER! Ever since using greasy, oil packed expensive sephora pan makeup last year, (which I have now sworn off of) I have had severe patches of acne on my jawline, cheeks, chin, and occasionally forehead. I have tried everything from rubbing alcohol as a toner, to taking 30 pills a day (no joke) to try and get rid of my acne. This is a saving grace, and it's so easy to use, inexpensive and totally effective. I have to be honest though, the purge was HORRIBLE from this. It's probably because nothing had been helping my pores, and I think once I found something that worked it just cleared everything out. But boy was it ugly. I had puss filled cystic acne ALL over. But literally 3 days later it had cleared, and now all that's left is tiny little purple acne scars. But I've never scarred for long, and I plan to continue use of this product for a long time. I know instructions say up to 3 times a day for 3-4 weeks but u think I will use it every day under all my serums and moisturizer. So glad I found this!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by island_honey

At first, I was hesitant to use this product. Despite it being labeled alcohol-free, I was afraid this would have been too harsh on my face. This has turned out to be one of the best purchases I have made for my skin. I have been using this for about 1 1/2 years now and my skin is clear. My issues were: clogged pores and hormonal breakouts. Thanks to these pads, I rarely have a breakout. I usually only apply this at night and I rip the pads in half. I find that a whole pad is too much product for my skin and it can be dry the next morning. I usually don't apply anything afterwards but if my skin is feeling dry, I will spritz some facial spray. In the mornings, if my skin looks congested or I see a blemish emerging (usually around that time of the month), I take half a pad, squeeze out the excess liquid, and gently pat it on my skin. If I just need to spot treat, I will take a q-tip, dab it in the liquid that's found in the bottom of the jar, and apply it on the blemish. After 10 minutes, I will then apply my regular SPF. I usually use this 4-5/x a week because I like to alternate with a product containing glycolic acid. I highly recommend trying this product (if your skin can tolerate salicyclic acid) and experimenting to find the best way it will work for you.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by ekristensen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about a month now, so I thought it was time to come back on here (after reading the reviews on MUA that ultimately convinced me to buy this) and share my thoughts.

Okay so my skin has always been pretty normal, until I hit my mid-twenties and suddenly my skin starts creating these awful, huge, super painful cystic acne deep under my skin. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I have been super vigilant about what I put onto my skin ever since, everything from skincare to make-up. So I was hoping this would help with that, as it would strip away the top layer or two of skin and hopefully encourage the deep spots to pass more quickly.

Well... it hasn't. It also hasn't helped with the small blackheads I have on my chin, as I hoped it would. It HAS, however, visibly improved the texture of my skin overall. I had some small bumps/uneven texture on my forehead, which is now completely 100% gone. It also makes the overall texture of my skin extremely smooth and clean feeling.

PROS:
- Has really improved skin texture; eliminated bumps/unevenness
- Gentle on skin
- Great little tub it comes in that keeps the pads from drying out
- Great exfoliator

CONS:
- Hasn't removed my blackheads
- Hasn't deterred spots from appearing
- Hasn't helped spots from vacating my face any sooner than usual!

Despite the cons, I will most likely buy it again once it runs out, however, as it is a really fantastic exfoliator - gentle on the skin but super effective. Just don't expect it to be a miracle worker - it might be for you, but for my problem areas it wasn't.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by itsiliii

After realizing the importance of skin care i bought this product due to how frequently it was recommended by the skin care community because of its affordability/availability

When I initially used it, I loved the way it made my skin feel. It made my skin super smooth...though i did realize it never really helped with bumps. I kept up with it....however after about a month of used i realized my skin was getting drier and drier....what could it be i wondered? but...i moisturize so religiously!

Turns out it was this stuff, the high amount of menthol...and apparently there's a sulfate in this stuff as well? No wonder my skin started massively drying up. I stopped using it about a week ago and my skin is already improving.

Would definitely not use again

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by ahoymaite

I will buy this product again and again! I avoided it for the longest time, thinking it would be like old drying Clearasil pads that just tear up my sensitive skin. I've had acne since I was about 13 with varying severity, but I started breaking out like a teenager again at 24. Finally, at 26, this stuff has helped me get my acne under wraps paired with mineral oil OCM, CeraVe Foaming Cleanser and CeraVe in the tub (thanks r/skincareaddiction!)

My skin is so smooth and so clear thanks to the exfoliating nature of Stridex. I mostly only break out around "that time of the month now," which is far better than two new zits everyday. I can't say enough about this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by purplescarf6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Well I'm just going to add to the raving reviews and say I love this stuff.

Background info on my skin: Normal-combo, with normal cheeks, but my forehead, temples, nose and chin are moderately cloggy and blackhead prone. I cannot tolerate large amounts of alcohol AND fragrance, but one or the other is fine. I have SD on the sides of my nose and on a small patch on my cheek next to my nose.

For a solid 3-4 years I was under the impression that my skin hated BHAs because of the negative experiences I'd had with them as a preteen. It wasn't the salicylic acid that was irritating then, just the heaps of alcohol they contained. I've learned how to handle the sensitive in my skin; however the constant appearance of clogs, sometimes turning into actual pimples and almost always leaving scars behind minimized those improvements.

Enter Stridex, 2% salicylic acid, 100% alcohol free, found, like many other HGs in the making, under MUA top picks. Should I risk a major, horrible breakout of rashy, itchy, sensitive, inflamed horribleness? Of course I did. But luckily, being risky with my skin paid off this time.

I started using this once a day, at night, 2 weeks ago. In my experience that's plenty of time to get a good enough feel for a product to see if it works for you, at least with my skin. About 10 days into it my boyfriend said my skin has been looking REALLY clear, and asked if I'd been doing anything differently. He's not just saying that, either. The clogs between my eyebrows that REFUSED to even budge have been reduced to tiny little bumps, or a very light pink mark. And I've only gotten 2 new clogs, likely from careless application of hair conditioner. 2 compared to the normal amount of 10. The first couple of days, I was overzealous with my clog-fighting products and used a Neutrogena scrub that had 2% SA in it as well. My cheeks became rough and dry, but once I backed off on that and stuck to Cerave or warm water my skin fixed itself immediately. Now I plan to use Cerave (with MO as an occasionaly makeup remover), Stridex, and 10% BP on extremely stubborn clogs if needed.

My clogs are reduced, and weak enough to never really turn into monster zits, just pathetic little ones that can be swatted away with a drop of BP. Amazing. And not only that, my cheeks AND FOREHEAD are SOFT. Like, baby soft. I didn't get there even with 10% AHA. Holy clear skin, without makeup.

Super cheap, esp. at Wal-Mart, available at pretty much every main-stream drugstore. Pads with enough product to cover the entire face, but not so much that overapplication is tempting. What's not to love? If your skin hates SA, or the minimal to moderate amount of fragrance in this, or just plain doesn't need this kind of product. But if you're cloggy even a little bit, like many other reviewers say, you will likely enjoy this product. It's just sad to me how this gem of a BHA isn't more well-known. It's always on the bottom or second-bottom shelf at the store. Try it, you most likely won't regret it.