Joop! Joop! Femme

3.6

on 4/3/2015 10:08:00 AM

i used to wear this when i was about 18 when i received it as a gift from my aunt. i grew to love it but never bought another bottle when it ran out and i came to think of it as attached to that period in my life. fast forward about 18 years and i now have kids and don't spend as much on things like perfume as i have in the past. the other day i noticed my old joop! femme for about $35 so i decided to give it a try. at first i thought i'd made a mistake, it was so strong, i felt it had dated. then i got past the initial blast and fell in love all over again. what can i say. it's beautiful. yes, it's loud but there's something about it i find irresistible, an inner harmony. it's sweet but in a strong way and not in the least cloying. when i spray it on it makes me feel happy. i find it difficult to detect elements in fragrances, though i definitely notice the rose and vanilla. and yes, there is something slightly feral about it. i don't find it offensive though, just alive. there are so many bleh fragrances around...this is not one of them. you only need a very light spritz and it lasts a long time. as to the gender bent, to me it's feminine, but many of my favourite scents are mens or unisex scents so maybe my tastes are not very traditionally feminine. i love it anyway.

on 2/22/2013 1:03:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Review for Joop! Femme
~
I purchased a huge bottle based on the reviews I found on here and on Basenotes. I have had much luck in blind buys because of other people's experiences.
~
At first, this sillage monster had a real medicinal quality to it. It smelled close to mothballs and I wanted to curl up in a corner and hide.
~
Then, after over an hour, it calmed down to a more "grandma" scent. I detected White Diamonds in this stage. Although I like the smell of White Diamonds on other (much older) women, I still found this too strong, and still medicinal.
~
About an hour after that, it morphed into something so familiar---- it was BURBERRY LONDON meets SHALIMAR... What a treat! It has been there for the past two hours.
~
Burberry London, although nice, tends to have a medicinal quality on my skin, and only mine. On other people, it smells divine with no hint of medicine/mothballs.
~
Although I would probably like this scent on others, it seems that this is just not for me. I wanted to love this so bad, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Perhaps I will give this one more try- but this time with just one spritz instead of the usual two and a half on my back and back of neck.
~
I will most likely be returning it.
***************************************
EDIT: Okay so first thing this morning, I sprayed this once in the air, and moved my arm through the mist. Fifteen minutes later, I realized it wasn't very noticeable, so I sprayed once directly onto my wrist. That was perfect!
~
At first, it smelled medicinal. Again.
~
Thirty minutes later, it smelled like a weak White Diamonds, with a slight twinge of Shalimar.
~
Now (well over an hour later) I just smell Chantilly's powdery vanillic drydown.
That's all, folks.
~
It's not terrible, but it's just not was I was expecting. I would definitely appreciate this more on other people than on myself. It is definitely getting returned.
~
Besides, if I wanted Chantilly (I used to use it as a kid, and it was nice), I would have gotten Chantilly,

on 11/27/2012 9:49:00 AM

This perfume is lovely, musky and its staying power is amazing. The only reason I came to know about it was because my oldest sister kept wearing it and she always smelt amazing! It's nice because its not too feminine, in fact quite masculine but in a good way. It gorgeous :)

on 8/5/2012 3:21:00 PM

It is beyond me how this fragrance got to be a women's fragrance as it is not even remotely a feminine smelling scent. It is totally a men's fragrance. If you are the type of lady who likes to wear men's cologne then Joop Femme should be right up your alley. It is to masculine for me even. LOL Joop Femme is kind of obnoxious and shrill too. The bottle is a big, thick, chunky glass bottle that fits in your hand nice and tightly and is easy to spray. The scent itself is odd...very odd. Try and imagine lemons. Lemons that have turned bad or are just completly rotten. Then throw in some basil or coriander and woods, grass and fresh cut hay and you have Joop Femme. I like fragrances that dont comform and Joop Femme is a total rebel. If you are looking for something wild and different then get Joop Femme.

on 1/8/2012 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I agree with previous reviewers that Joop Femme is underrated. It's almost like a forgotten gem. It's an extremely strong perfume, you only need a small amount and you're good to go. Don't let the initial blast put you off as it smells totally different when it settles and melds with the skin. I find one small squirt on each wrist is more than enough. It's a gorgeous oriental woodsy fragrance, perfect for cold winter weather. What I love about it is that the vanilla is not overly sweet, it's a kind of mellow, balanced and sophisticated vanilla rather than a cupcakey one. This perfume is not for the shy and retiring type! It's very bold and sure of itself. Joop Femme is quite rare nowadays which is a bonus because you won't smell like everyone else. Would make a perfect signature scent. If you love this scent, I would advise you to stock up, as I'm seeing it in the discount shops, often a sign that it's about to be discontinued. I hope not as I love it!

on 4/27/2010 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Joop Femme,hmmmm.This is one my 5 top fragrances.I think Joop Femme is underrated.It is unique and long lasting oriental fragrance which can be used in winter and summer as well.This was also my first perfume mini bottle which I bought when I was 17..I couldnt afford big bottle at that time,but was saving and taking care of this little mini as precious.It lasted quite long time as you only use a little bit. I have many memories back then about this fragrance and reminds me of my younger age..I love it and will buy forever.I love it so much,that I carry about 5 bottles now.and I also love male version and bought it for my husband who loves it as well. :)))
Lasting power is excellent and strong.Please allow some time to develop on your skin,as it smells very different in the beginning and after when it sits on your skin for some time.It is beautiful fragrance :)))

on 2/13/2010 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

This is another scent i always have in my stash. It's a really nice oriental fragrance, which can be a bit strong when you first apply but it does die down into a nice mellow spicy woody smell. Definitely a winter smell for me- a little spritz goes a long way!

on 6/26/2009 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a lovley fragrance. I bought it without smelling it and thought..Oh Dear what have i done and then an hour later...Mmmmmm yes i agree it does morph into the most gorgeous scent. :) Love it..use sparingly...

on 4/23/2009 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Strikingly beautiful. I have always thought this was too strong and that its strength subtracted some points off of its beauty because it's so easy to overdo with even one spritz. However, I decanted a bit into a separate bottle and added just a bit of vodka to dilute and got a lighter fragrance that I found wearable. I fell in love with it all over again. Sweet and unique, at full strength, this smells different from what's in the bottle and usually morphs into a wonderful fragrance on the skin.

on 2/15/2009 8:50:00 AM

I know this is old but what a great perfume! This is something a friend of mine used to wear years ago and l loved it on her. I just got my first bottle and I love it. This has so much depth and its just so lovely. It is very strong and I do rec that you spray and walk through it. Its to die for. I will be so happy to wear this this spring and summer. brings back lovely memories of my old time friend... wish the bottle wasn't so boring..

Popular Fragrances