L'Oreal Superior Preference Haircolor in 46: Red Copper Auburn

I've been using L'Oreal's hair dyes for about five years now and I like the red copper auburn color for several reasons.

It just has the basics for coloring your hair without extra things as in other of their hair color's which you pay more for just for the color to 'smell better' really it's all the same.

I will say to buy some extra gloves, you will need them big time. Get some Clorex wipes or cleaning wipes and have them on hand. Stay in the bathtub or move very little if at all for 30 minutes. Put a bag on your coloring hair, this helps with dripping.

Also a good idea is to dye your hair the day you clean your bathroom because you will be cleaning it after you use any hair dye. So I kill two birds with one stone.

The product itself is straight forward and yes I did follow the skin test (does anyone follow the 48 hour skin test?)

Thankfully this shade of red hasn't had any reactions to my skin so in my book that is a 10 plus!

I am fair skinned, (very fair actually) blue eyes, and my natural shade is very dark dirty blond so the red worked well with my shade. It's best to go with a hair dye that is closest to your natural color.

I'm thinking of sticking to this tried and true staple because the other's they have are OK but just more complex honestly and the less muss the better when it comes to coloring your hair.

I get this at Walmart with a coupon, no sense in over paying for it.

Over all it's a 4 just because of the extra steps that can be a pain in the rear but worth it in the end.

I'd recommend also getting a mirror and take your dang time when you are coloring. You will thank yourself later for taking the extra time to look in the hand mirror get the extra bits etc.

Also, don't feel you need to use the entire bottle in fact don't use the entire bottle even with long hair it will make more mess then it's worth.

Have an extra bag handy to throw away all the stuff pronto after you are all done.

One last thing, do not wash your hair for at least 24 hours after you color! This is an important step!

Put a towel on your pillow when you sleep for the first week or so, use towels of like color or ones that can be bleached to make your life easier.

I also recommend entering the code onto their page so that you can get one coloring package free after five have been entered. Why not when you spend the time, effort and money?

Good product over all, use common sense lots of cleaning wipes and stay put for the time it takes to develop!

These things I've mentioned have come from let's just say uh experience (cringe.)

If it saves the person reading a headache then it's worth it to pass on.

Good product over all.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have used this colour 3 times now. It's a pretty colour, but it too orange for my complexion. I am going to try the Intense Red colour next time and see if that looks better on me.

I have used this color twice. I love it. I am a huge fan of Christina Hendricks and crave her locks. This is as close as I can get with out going to a salon. I wash it every three days and use a dry shampoo and a moisture barrier hairspray on the roots. I can get a good 2 months out of the color before I really need to dye it again. I would suggest using the L'Oreal sulfate free Everstrong shampoo and conditioner with this and highly suggest limiting your washing.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

LOVE this stuff. i've been dying my hair various shades of red for years (to mimic my mom's natural colour...damn genes skipped a generation) and this is the only shade that looks natural. i get compliments every day on being lucky to be a redhead and when i tell them it's from a box, jaws drop. this colour is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended if you are looking for a nice natural red sort of like donna from that 70s show - virgin red hair.

in terms of fading - yes. it does, and it sucks. i usually do mine every 4 weeks, but at $10 a box that's super reasonable.

to keep it from fading as much i've been using the aphogee 2 step protein filler prior to colouring my hair...i think it's helping...my hair seems stronger and shinier.

good luck to all the redhead wannabes out there :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I dyed my hair this color for YEARS. My hair is naturally medium-dark ash brown. I always got compliments on this color. It's a really awesome shade of red. It took only about 3 months of touch-ups for my darker hair to soak all this up and match the color on the box. So if your hair is a darker shade of brown, I will personally vouch that this color takes to hair really well. I don't dye my hair this color anymore, but I used this exact shade and nothing else for four years and always got tons of compliments on my hair color. It's the perfect combination of vibrancy and au natural. It never looked outta control fake red, but it was still a brilliant, bright color. I highly recommend this shade to anyone wanting to venture into the red hair arena.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

L'Oreal Paris's Superior Preference line has finally managed to achieve the perfect red: 46 Red Copper Auburn is the exact color of Joan Holloway's iconic hair on Mad Men -- that perfect natural dark red that doesn't come off as completely unnatural.

Better yet, the coverage is fantastic and there's almost no after-smell.

The only downside is that the incredibly intense gorgeous red color only lasts for a couple of weeks until it begins to fade -- there's no way to avoid touching this color up every four to six weeks.