December 22, 2014 | 905 users online

Foundations - Stila - one step makeup [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2012 12:44:00 AM More reviews by KandEandS

I like it. But you better be puttin some heavy moisturizer underneath it cause this thing is for people that doesnt have dry skin. The color is very limited (ligh, medium, dark) I am medium/fair with beige undertone but dang! the medium is wayyyy too yellow! No kidding! Def not the foundation for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Karolyte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received this foundation from the swap and was excited to try it. However it was disappointment for me. I still think it is good foundation but only for oily skin. My skin is on the dry side and it did not look good as it accentuated dry areas (not pretty).
Here is what it claims and what it really does or does not:
-100% natural mineral pigments - could be I do not know :)
-Buildable coverage - TRUE it covers very well
-High definition abd long wearing - I used it with a primer and it did last, however not sure if it would be the case if I would wear it alone.
-Paraben free - TRUE
-Fragrance free - TRUE - love it, I do not like to mix many fragrancy products on my face
-Diminishes the look of fine lines & wrinkles - Do not have many of those so it is difficult to tell.
-Minimizes pores - I do not think so, it covers but it does not minimize.
-Hydrates & balances - Does not hydrate enough, as stated above my dry skin did not like it at all :(
-Controls oil - that's why I think this foundation would be perfect for someone with oily skin!
I also love the texture of this foundation it is really light almost mousse type. Easy to appy and blends very well. I really wanted to like this product, and I still think it can be good for someone else (with an oily skin). Sorry, I will not buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2011 12:42:00 AM More reviews by JohnnyGirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

This foundation is made to do the job of primer, concealer, and foundation all together. I wouldn't say it does every task thoroughly. Used alone, 'Stila One-Step Foundation' is a quality cover-up that works best on smooth, clear skin.
It's a decent foundation- a great one if you already have a nice complexion- but it is not primer, concealer AND foundation all in one. If you have some blemishes/dark circles, this "3 in 1" foundation works better using actual primer and concealer in conjunction.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by jmerritt0822

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product seemed to cake on my face, perhaps because of my skin type. I have dry patches around my nose and on my cheeks. This stuff seemed to make those spots even more pronounced. I tried using different amounts and different face primers underneath to no avail. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by MUAnonymous

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

The original $44 price tag for this was waaay too steep(hence the 5), but I heard good things, so when it went half off I bought the lightest color, "fair," for my fair skin(It then went down to $15, and is now $10, I believe.). I know all about photography and monitor colors, but seriously. Something that drives me nuts about Stila's site is that they don't have any descriptions for the colors, and even their names can be confusing/misleading. They don't even always do it light to dark. And why does light and medium look lighter than bare in some categories? Agh. Anyway.
This is WAY TOO YELLOW. And dark. It would be good for Asians, I think, but in the picture it looks like a pale cool tone, not! How this color can be considered fair, I have no idea. Also, yes, it does dry to a powder-like finish, which would be nice if that didn't mean it sticks to ANY dry skin at all. Flakiness, blemishes, it clings to them and makes them stand out BIG time(You end up with all these light spots on your face). It even gets stuck all over my fingers and I have to scrub it off. Yuck. I am giving this an overall 2, because of the color and the dry skin-highlighting.
Otherwise, the coverage is okay. Medium, but I have to blend the color out so much so that I don't look yellow that it ends up being less so. It is definitely not an "all-in-one" product. I do like the pump, and mouse-like consistancy. But I see why they clearanced it. Hopefully the new stuff has better colors, and one day they will put up reliable descriptions. It's too bad, because I usually like Stila products. They can be so hit or miss, though. This one is definitely a miss for me. Kudos if you made it all the way through this. ;)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by xandreaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

sooo i bought this foundation in Dec 2010 when a family member gave me a $20 gift card for my local mall. I immediately ran to sephora to see what one product i really wanted to buy but couldnt afford normally as a student. Stila always had a good rep with their stuff so I decided to try this foundation. I asked for a week's worth of sample product first and loved it. It's natural looking and not heavy on the face. The foamy-ness to this foundation made it fairly easy to blend on my dry skin with a damp brush. However...now that its been in my makeup stash for a good 6months i realized that sometimes when i pump the product out, it seems to have dried out. The "foam" shoots straight out like a stick and makes it such a pain in the ass to blend out. Sometimes it pumps out like the liquidy foam its supposed to, which is great. But lately I find that its always coming out all solidified and stuff. I'll still continue using it till im done, but not sure if I'd shell out full price for it the 2nd time around.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 2:37:00 AM More reviews by aureliationg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I loooove this product! I've finally found a foundation that doesn't make me shiny and greasy after a couple hours. It looked natural and it was easy to put on. I use a foundatin brush but when in a hurry i used my hands and spread it like moisturiser snd it still looked natural. So impressed. And i've tried Chanel, Estee Lauder, Revlon, Maybelline, and many others and none compare to this!!! I'm a fair skinned Asian and i bought it in Light,

UPDATE: it's now winter in Australia and my skin has gotten drier. The product doesn't work for me as well as it used to in autumn. It just seems to highlight every flake and dry bit of my cheeks and chin. I bought a full size bottle so i hope that it works again for me come spring time or else i'd be upset about spending money on this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by dvdfjojo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Couldn't get the colour right for me as fair is a little too dark and yellow toned.

This foundation's just okay - it's not as full coverage as I'd like though. The not having to use primer & powder is a plus as you can just throw it on and go.

It's alright but nothing special and nowhere near its pricetag. I would like to try the perfect and correct version though - sounds like that one gives a nicer finish.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! This has some good reviews, uh?
Well,I guess those gals must have smoother/poreless skin.....unlike mine
Because, my pores near my nose on my cheeks are not little at all.
And IMO and on my skin....this stuff SUX!

I bought the .5(half sized) off of Ebay.
So, in all fairness....this review is actually for the the first version, not the newest one, with the swirls on it. Maybe that is why some reviews rock for this. But, I see most are reviewing this one too.....idk.
I just wish it worked for me too!!!!!!!!!!!

I was surprised that the fair color was actually slightly
darker than my Studio Fix NC15 foundation.
Though, if you use MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NW15(its a Pale Porcelain Princess DREAM color) to set....it tones down some of the orange tints on all my foundations.

For my trial......I used Clinique's Dramatically Different Moistirizer on one side of my face and used Oil Of Olay Complete moisturizer, on the other side.
Yes, this did go one smooth and easily.
It really has a weightless consistency and came out of the can easily.
I used Smashbox foundation brush on one side and my MAC 130 brush on the other. It seemed the SB brush applied it smoother.
Then it just went all to HELL..Lol!

This stuff just would NEVER really "DRY/SET"(I know my MAC Fix stays sorda sticky feeling...but this was different...it stayed very wet ....even after setting it with my S.FixPowder!)

So since it wouldn't set the formula just SANK deep down into my little(I have none really...but this found them) lines around my eyes and into my PORES and literally just "puddled" there all day long!
I couldn't even rub or smooth it back out as the day went on! I really felt like crying ;(

This is suppose to have primer in it already....whatever! I use Smashbox Primer daily....so I know what a primer should do....and this stuff does not!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2011 6:00:00 AM More reviews by aviva1313

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When the Stila line first came to my neighborhood Ulta, one of the women who works there recommended the line to me and used some of this on me to show me how great it is. I bought it immediately. It is my go to everyday foundation and I can use a lot or a little. As someone who has often had trouble finding matching shades in foundation, I was amazed at how seamlessly this product blended into my skin. You can't tell that you're wearing anything at all! The best part is that since it's a "4-in-1", you don't need to use primer or powder, although I do anyway if I really want to go all out. But for everyday use I just put a little on with a foundation brush and I look great. It takes me less than a minute to apply. It is a little pricey but you only need to use VERY little. I've had the same bottle for a year and its only 2/3 empty. So $40 for a year's worth? That's not so bad after all.