July 28, 2014 | 2046 users online

Hair Removal - Silk'n - SensEpil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After buying this for my legs and half arms I was so scared to use it it lay untouched for a year. Once I plucked up the courage to use it I was amazed at how easy to use and quick it was. You have to use it on shaved skin and because mine is NC25-30 except in the summer I think I am at the higher end of those able to use it. My underarms are slightly darker and I felt slight burning when I used it there so I won't be using it on those areas. After two uses on the lowest setting I can already see several patches where the hair has gone so it's very encouraging. The replacement bulbs seem expensive but for results like these I think they're completely worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

Okay it's possible I may have to update this because I have not used this product for that long, but I am so excited by my results that I want to review right away!

I purchased the Tria, which honestly hasn't appeared to have reduced my hair at all. (DO NOT RECOMMEND!) But after experiencing successful professional laser hair removal (though not permanent), I know hair's supposed to fall off pretty fast-it should not take several months to notice a difference unlike what I was told when I tried to return the Tria. So I figured I'd give the Silk'n a shot since if it didn't provide results fast, I could always return it.

I continued with the Tria on the left side on my body, and began using Silk'n on the right. After just a few sessions, I noticed a major difference. I have yet to even use the very highest setting! This is amazing! I'm not sure if it's as powerful as pro laser hair removal yet, but I'm very happy so far.

Update: This is NOT as powerful as professional laser hair removal (when it's successful-hair burns off immediately), but on certain areas of my body, it really does seem to slow hair growth. I will continue to use this and update my review on how it works on different areas of my body.

The actual device is very cute too-compact and feminine.

Update 2: I'm lowering this from a 4 to a 2. This does seem to slow hair growth, but due to the fact it's costly to continue buying cartridges, it's just not worth the money imo. I'd rather look for good professional hair removal deals and have the hairs really fall out than spend the time and money it takes for the Silk'n just to slow down hair growth. If it were at least as powerful as pro laser on ONE part of my body, I'd totally keep using it, but unfortunately it's not (not my legs, arms, underarms, nowhere). I was so excited about this product at first, such a bummer after several treatments my results still aren't that great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by chuugle

I bought the BellaLite from Costco which is made by the same company especially for Costco. I have been using this over an 8 month period and have used it 10 times and I have seen dramatic results. I used it on my bikini line, arm pits and belly area. Unfortunately, my legs are too tan so I cannot use it there. I am absolutely thrilled with the results! Let me tell you, I was one hairy monster before. I was seriously considering getting professional treatments which would have cost me a couple thousand dollars. But I decided to try this instead and figured I'd only be out a couple hundred if it didn't work. Plus since I bought it at Costco, I could return it if I didn't like it. It seemed like a no brainer to me.
I started seeing results after maybe the 3rd or 4th treatment. And then half way through, I was kind of worrying that it seemed like my hair situation was relapsing. But I guess that had more to do with my hair growth cycle than the device. I should have taken some before and after pictures. But the results are dramatic. I absolutely love this thing and am so glad I bought it! The only thing is that it seems like my arm pit hairs are more stubborn than my bikini line for some reason. I still get 10-15% hair growth on my bikini line, 20% on my armpits and 2% on my belly area. But that is still awesome for me and much more manageable than the hairy monster I used to be.

For your reference, I am asian with black hair. I tan easily which is why I can't do my legs, but for other parts of me that don't see much sun, this works great. Although, I do consistently get the sensor warning going off when I do my armpits which doesn't make any sense since my armpits are as pale as can be. I just move it to another part of my body and then when it starts working again, I go back to my armpits and then it works. So the system is a bit finicky but for results like these, it's a small nuisance that I am willing to put up with. I highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by DiaryofaDyme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Let me start off by saying that even after I read the rave reviews, I was still a skeptic. 'Perhaps the hair takes one or two weeks to grow back', I thought, 'but 6 months(as packaging claims)- No Way'. This product has turned me into a believer. Before I dive into this review, I will add that I am middle-eastern, and you know what that means-hair, and lots of it. After struggling with foliculitis in my bikini line for way too long(my hair is also coarse), and after seeing different moethods of dealing with it fail, the sensepil really was my only option. And it rescued me. I primarily used it on my oits and bikini line, and occassionaly on my legs. My problematic bikini line is, after using it for about 8 months, clean and clear! It is 100% bare? No. If left unshaved/waxed/epilated for a month, a few hairs are bound to show up, but we're talking 6 tops. For me, that's a huge improvement. In the pits, I had less success, but that may stem from the fact that I've never waxed or epilated that area; just shaved. After having waxed once, the hairs became thinner and easier to deal with. My legs used to be another problem area. I HAD to shave every 2 days, or else I ran the risk of my legs looking kinda manly. Now, the hair does indeed grow back much thinner, and with patches.
Also, let me also mention that I looked into the possibility of laser hair removal and ipl, and found that the results are not permanent, cost a lot of money, and the providers which do it in my area are ppl to whom the idea of showing my private bits doesn't excite me, to say the very least. It's private, cost efficient, and most importantely, it works. It is the ultimate hair removal solution.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2012 6:13:00 AM More reviews by RyRy1982

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

the bottom line for me in that the Silk' n is just way too tedious to use . I had read the reviews beforehand and expected this, but thought who cares if I see results. The problem was that the device is just too small if you intend to do large areas in a timely and precise fashion to see great results. Especially if you have a nice size 16 leg like myself : / Best for small areas, maybe lower legs, lower arms, etcetc. the most I could get done was the my two bottom legs and forearms and that would take at least and hour or so. the other problem I had is that it was hard to see the markings of where i had just zapped to line it up perfectly, so it was always patchy & coudlnt even use it on areas like back of upper thigh because I couldnt see the markings. I cant say if its permanent because I gave up after about 10 uses but the hair definitely came back slower and abit less on legs, arms while I was actively using it. The main reason for writing review is to let people know be prepared to be very patient and expect patchiness unles you can line it up perfectly. ...for me it was a waste of $$ because I just I gave up on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by BarbCon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Working great for me :) I no longer need to shave my legs to get ready for summer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by mtvsux

Update: If you end up wanting to buy this machine, search around online for the SensEpil XL! it's the european version that comes with 40,000 or 65,000 shots! (vs. 750 for the u.s. version :O). I've seen one for only $600 on amazon. wow.

Original review: This machine is for longer-term hair removal only, (like waxing, except way better), not permanent reduction like in office laser hair removal. For the longer-term hair removal it gets a 4.5 stars. for perm hair removal it gets 1 star. If you are lucky, after 2 years of using it repeatedly there might be a few tiny sections that have permanent reduction.

I've been following IPL and Laser hair removal since it first came out, so even though i've only done 3 treatments with the Silk'n (at the highest setting) I can atest this you this machine is not for permanent hair removal or permanent hair reduction.

The sens epil is IPL, which is not as strong as laser technology hair removal, and even fairly successful IPL salon/spa treatments range from 12 joules/cm2 to higher 20's, this machine has a maximum of 5 joules/cm2, that will get you nowhere as far as permanent reduction.

What it WILL do is release the hairs from the root (the hair falls out in 7-10 days), and like waxing or rotary epilating, the papilla is not destroyed and the hair will grow back. BUT! Unlike waxing, it can remove hairs that have started to grow but haven't yet reached the surface, and unlike waxing there will be no broken hairs that will need to be waxed/epilated later. Both of these things mean hair removal with this machine will leave you with smoother skin for longer. Also unlike waxing you do not have to wait until you have 1/8th or 1/4 inch hair to be removed (again, that will get you smoother skin for longer). That is why this machine is good, even though it won't permanently reduce hair. After talking with people who have owned this machine for 2 years and then stopped using it, they will tell you the hair grows back.

I would happily use this machine for long term (3+ months) hair removal if I had not had true laser and IPL (and electrolysis) hair removal on the parts of my body i wish to be hair free. $2,500 worth.

Here's a tip for a good price on this longer term hair removal machine: First, do a search for "daily deal silk'n", sometimes there's a $275 all included deal. If none there, check ebay, people who have bought the deals sell the machines there sometimes. OR, if there's no current deal around, If you go to silk'n's "Silk'nstore" (http://www.thesilknstore.com/), there is a machine called Silk'n Pro. It is the same as the new silk'n but in blue with a slightly different shape to the hand piece, but the price is lower and it comes with 2! cartridges instead of 1 for a total savings of about $200. THE ONLY difference, as confirmed by the company via chat, is that the silk'n pro is the original machine and therefore does not have the new feature of the skintone sensor. The skintone sensor prevents the user from using the machine on skin that is too dark. If you're skin is darker than nc35, skip. And by the way, if you look online for something called the Silk'n Sensepil XL, you will find ones that have up to 65,000 shots!!! Not the 750 the u.s. version comes with. Holy moly. One has 10k and one has 65k. a 40k one can be found for $600 on amazon.

The Silk'n compared to similar machines:
(re: Flash and Go, F&G just has a smaller window, easier for smaller areas, just buy laser hair removal if you're only doing small areas).
-Viss: Viss is insignificantly less powerful (4J/cm), but cartridges last longer.
-Remington i-light ($249): 7-8 joules/cm2 (not enough to be permanent) and 1/3 the window treatment size, which is okay for small areas (bikini, underarm) but poor for larger areas. Cheaper cartridges that last longer, so the remington ends up being less expensive but you'll spend more time. Skip this one if you plan on doing legs.
-Lumi by evo derma ($399), same treatment window size as sens epil, and each cartridge has 2,000 flashes vs. 750 silk'n, so Lumi is less expensive and slightly faster time bwtn flashes. So it would seem better all around, but i haven't seen reviewers online say they're getting total fallout after treatments, they don't mention fall out at all actually. But there is a 30 day return policy so...
-Me My Elos ($399 online) - 4 joules + radio frequency - Kinda confused and intrigued by this one because I don't know much about RF + IPL. Reviews are good but why does it offer an epilator attachment? How strange. But apparently the machine is faster than the sens epil, i'm not sure how fast it is between shots though. And the cartridge allegedly has 3000 shots, but all reviews say it has much less.
-tria ($349): more powerful (7-20 joules) and is a diode laser vs. ipl, but tiny tiny treatment window. If an area is that small that this would be usable, (undie arms and kini) but it's cheaper to get the real deal with a groupon. Would be good for post laser follow up though. (I should add that this person chronicled the Tria 2 years, last reported being hair free for 1 full year: http://hairremoval.about.com/od/lase1/a/tria-hair.htm

Personally, under most circumstances i think anything over $300 (and even that is pushing it) for basically a 'better than a waxing' machine, is too much. But for those of you who pay for waxing sessions, these machines on sale can be a good deal. For reference, for real laser with real permanent results, lower legs, bikini, and under arms would cost you about $1,200-2,000 if you got a good package.

And here's how to find a deals through sales sites like Groupon etc:

35 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:32:00 PM More reviews by steph28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Got tired of using other methods to slow hair growth (waxing, creams), so I tried this for more permanent results. Like others, I have used this for 6 months in order to give it a fair review. I am using exclusively on my legs because that is the most time consuming area to shave. I have been following the frequency recommended, like two week intervals +/- a few days here or there.

My thoughts: So far, I am pretty pleased with the results. I have areas that appear to be pretty hair free, mainly on my lower legs. Other areas appear to be thinning and are not as dense. But I am not at the stage where I can go without shaving for several days although I can miss a day here or there and I'm fine.

You can adjust the intensity of the light flashes which means you can adjust how much pain you are willing to endure. It feels like a snap on the skin. I went up to the strongest level (5) as soon as possible, but there are some areas that I have to turn down because snap is a little painful for me, like on the knees and around the bikini line. Also, when the glass window gets hot, I usually allow it to cool for about 30 seconds before continuing. Overall, it takes me about 20 minutes to do both legs.

Cost is a factor. I bought mine at Costco and it came with three cartridges for about $400. Each cartridge is supposed to last 750 flashes. So doing an area as large as the legs, I get about 2 to 2 1/2 treatments per cartridge. Replacement cartridges are about $40-$45 dollars each and they are not typically on sale for less. I did find one web store that has 20% sales occassionally. So I am about $520 invested.

Problem is that I have been noticing frequent email coupons (dont want to use the gr-name of the gr-coupons, but i gr-think you probably know what emails I'm talking about) for various professional laser hair removal services that offer like 1 year of treatments (like 6 sessions) for about the same amount I have invested. Now I am wondering if the professional lasers would give better results. The trade off is that I don't have to make an appoinment or have to tip the aesthetician.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2011 2:53:00 AM More reviews by LadyLaineE

I've been using the Silk'n Sensepil for the past 6 months and couldn't be happier with the results.

Background:
Prior to using the Silk'n, the slightest shiver would result in leg stubble even if I had just shaved. I also have light skin and the hair on my legs was coarse and black so even if my skin felt smooth, shaving left behind little black dots. My legs are also really sensitive and having to shave them daily (absolutely necessary) gave me really bad razor burn which eventually led me to purchase the Silk'n.

How I used it:
I didn't bother starting with the lower level zaps, felt they were a waste. I used  level 4 on my first session then upped it to level 5 for the following few months. I switched back to level 4 about 2 months ago because there was less regrowth and the actual hairs had become finer.

Results:
I first noticed smooth patches by the second session. Small patches but it was encouraging.
Presently, I can happily say that my legs are pretty close to being hair-free! I can now get away with not shaving my legs for several days and when I do, it's on a few small patches where the hair is much finer than it used to be. My underarms are 75% hair-free so I still need to shave them but I'm satisfied with my current results.

Will continue to use since hair grows in cycles and new patches are bound to pop up. Silk'n, I believe suggests continuous use for 1.5 - 2 years.

The Silk'n Sensepil is expensive but I have found it to be worth the price since it worked for me. No regrets.

*** The actual zapping doesn't hurt but the window does get pretty hot so be careful.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by jgutcher

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have to say, I was skeptical before purchasing this device, but I am so glad I did! I have a hormonal imbalance that causes hair growth under my chin (75-100 hairs). I have tried waxing, bleaching, plucking, and the No! No! device, with little results. I lived with the embarrassment and constant worry that my 'beard' had grown in. It got to the point where I had to pluck it daily.
I have had the device for three weeks as of today. I didn't really follow the directions. This was my schedule. Week 1: I used it once, at level 2. Week 2: I used it twice, at level 3. Week 3: I've only had to use it once and my skin is super smooth! Week 2 was definitely the hardest week, because you can only shave in between treatments (no plucking), and it was starting to grow in thick.
There are still a few hairs that I am going to have to zap at level 4, but I am going to try to go 2 weeks before using it now.
I had such great results that I've also started treating my lower legs. Already after 3 treatments (once a week) my hair is noticeably finer, growing way slower, and there are already some bare patches! I am still on my first cartridge.
The customer service is great as well. They were very attentive and even gave me a call to see how everything was working out!
A great product - truly worth the money