October 1, 2014 | 999 users online

Eye Shadow - Sally Hansen - Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy Instant Definition Eye Shadow Palette – Ocean

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2009 3:02:00 PM More reviews by cdubinlondon

Excellent! My HG of eyeshadows I use it everyday with Metallic. High recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2009 11:48:00 AM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review focuses on the Ocean Eye Palette powder eye shadow trio. For more commentary on the Instant Definition Eye Shadow Palettes in general, please see my review under Sally Hansen (Brand), Natural Beauty Instant Definition Eye Shadow Palette (Name).

The three shades in the Ocean palette are a midtone slate grey-blue lid color, a taupe-y grey contour shade and a shimmery vanilla highlight. While these shades might not be absolutely unique, the closest matches I’ve discovered are MAC Vanilla for the highlight and the two shades from the Polar Blue Clinique Color Surge Eye Shadow Quad for the lid and contour. I’m sure other matches exist. Truthfully, I ever so slightly prefer the shades in the Instant Definition Eye Shadow Palettes over the MAC and Clinique shadows. I find the neutral, grey-based Instant Definition shades more versatile.

These finely milled shadows apply smoothly and blend beautifully. There is no detectable coarseness, graininess or metallic particles. I prefer to use brushes and discarded the included sponge tip applicators. I find coverage and pigmentation excellent on my fair skin. The midtone slate blue color is criminally flattering and readily builds from natural to dramatic. The highlight shade is a creamy white with a mother-of-pearl finish that pairs beautifully with the other shades. In my opinion, the highlight shade performs best as a true highlight and less so as a wash from lash to brow. I love the deepest shade (taupe-y grey) smudged as liner and along the lash line for a smoky eye.

My two favored application techniques for the Ocean palette are a modified bare eye and a smoky eye. For the modified bare eye: highlight directly under the brow (only on the arch) and at the upper lash line, followed by either the lid or contour shade smudged as liner on the upper lash line only. This modified bare eye makes me look awake and polished. The colors make my features “pop” without overwhelming my coloring. The Ocean palette also creates an easy-peasy smoky eye: lid color on lid from lash line and into crease, crease shade at lash line and smudged under the lower lashes, and, lastly, highlight on the brow bone.

Comparing the Instant Definition shades to the MAC and Clinique shadows that are close matches, the Instant Definition lid and contour shades are not quite as creamy as the Clinique shadows. Additionally, the Polar Blue compact does not offer a comparable taupe-y grey shade. Instead, the Polar Blue offers a light blue grey shade and a cocoa brown. The lighter shades is technically a highlight with generous shimmer and the cocoa brown is much deeper. The Instant Definition vanilla highlight is more white and offers slightly more shimmer than MAC Vanilla.

Of the available Instant Definition Palettes, and I own all but one, Ocean is my favorite. I find the colors flattering with my fair skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes. All the palettes work for my three favored application techniques, but Ocean is superior for the modified bare eye and the smoky look. I receive compliments on me, not my makeup. My one issue is the oversize, bulky round compact which is awkward to store. If the packaging were less cumbersome, I would give this product a perfect 5 lippies. I would repurchase Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy Instant Definition Eye Shadow Palette in Ocean and recommend this to others.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No