April 18, 2014 | 1795 users online

Lotions/ Creams - sesame oil

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by LeleA

Okay...guys it seems you are into skin and hair care as much as I am. I appreciate all of the comments regarding the sesame oil for the hair. I currently use organic coconut oil to prevent my scalp from getting dry, however I never thought of mixing the sesame oil with my coconut before getting it shampooed. I will definitely try it. I read that the beauty of the hair in India is attributed to oiling it first before washing.

As far as skin goes I use Black soap to wash then 100% raw white Shae Butter as a moisturizer every night on my face and when I wake up it is absorbed. I NEVER go to sleep with ANY make-up on my face, even though I use it moderately. I actually use the Shae butter as a moisturizer for my skin. I have found nothing that works better than this. Hope my review gives some insight in our quest for beautiful hair and skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by RebDesnoyers

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This oil is amazing! Mix this oil with castor oil and almond oil, apply to dry hair, leave it on overnight, wash it off in the morning and enjoy your silky, smooth hair! Sesame oil is known to improve hair growth and it seriously helped my heat damaged hair! Try it out for yourself and you'll know what I am talking about. The only downside is the smell, I think that it smell absolutely awful and I had to shampoo third times to get it off completely.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I bought a bottle of this to use on my face. I had read up on sesame oil and found it was supposed to be good for skin. Yes it did moisturize but I still was getting acne and my skin would be dry after the oil was absorbed. I wasn't too happy with the outcome and it's now just sitting on a shelf in my bathroom.

Basically I'm acne prone and this didn't help.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by skyybound1243

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

All I can say is WOW. I'v yet to try this again as a facial moisturizer (I tried it for the first time last night) but it has worked wonders. I couldn't believe that I was actually putting an oil on my acne-prone combination skin (which can really look greasy and shiny sometimes). This has moisturized my face like no other product and is dirt cheap! It did not break me out either which was a huge relief. Harsh prescription medications (I'm currently using epiduo) are the only things that can keep my acne at bay, unfortunately I have ridiculously sensitive skin at the same time so my skin gets super red and burns like shit! I woke up this morning with baby soft completely calmed skin, it did not enlarge my pores like I worried it would and my face is the farthest thing from greasy, it actually seemed to take away the oiliness! The redness is completely gone as well! I will definitely be using this again as my moisterizer :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2012 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Mahars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've found that this is the best oil for salt and sugar scrubs. I hate oil based scrubs that leave me greasy after I get out of the shower, but for some reason sesame oil doesn't have the effect and seems to soak into my skin better. I've tried olive, coconut, jojoba, and grape seed oil, and sesame works the best so far. The scent is faint, but not the most pleasant, so I mix in a few drops of essential oil, mix it with salt or sugar, and scrub away. I love that this is such a cheap and effective home recipe, and I can't believe that I used to drop tons of cash for oil-based scrubs like the Fresh scrub when I can make this myself for a fraction of the price. Also, to the poster who said this oil smelled up her bathroom, could it be that you used toasted sesame oil? Unlike raw oil, toasted sesame oil is extremely strong smelling and not generally suitable for skincare uses.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sesame oil is *amazing* for filling out fine lines and smoothing wrinkles. A masque of raw turmeric and sesame oil, massaged into the skin and left to dry, works wonders for the skin. Wipe off after drying and apply yogurt to absorb the turmeric stains.
The smell can be bothersome but I don't mind it much. I usually mix it with rose water or some essential oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2012 5:24:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh sesame oil how I love you! I have used it on my hair, but I prefer coconut and castor oils for my hair. But sesame oil on my body? LUSCIOUS! Sesame oil has many benefits. The usual ones like the omegas, amino acids, and the antioxidant benefits. But there are also some unusual ones. Sesame oil is an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. It's also been used for centuries as a natural sunscreen. It's blocks out about 30% of the sun's rays (so an SPF is still needed, but every little bit helps!) so it's great as a basic moisturizer. And since it's so lightweight, it never feels greasy. There are also studies of how it helps joints and blocked arteries (although I like hyalouranic acid supplements better for the joints). It's also a cell growth regulator and can help fade dark spots and scars. It's such a great oil! These are my personal recipes (which I use) that include sesame oil:
Day Moisturizer:
1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Distilled Water
1 pinch L-ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
5 drops Chamomile Essential Oil
5 drops Licorice Extract
5 drops Raspberry Extract
Mix the water and l-ascorbic acid then mix in the other ingredients. Keep in a dropper bottle and use after toning. Make weekly to gain the full benefits of the vitamin c and keep in the fridge. Great for daily use!
Body Moisturizer:
2 tbsp Aloe Vera Gel
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Distilled Water
1 tsp L-ascorbic Acid
10 drops Licorice Extract
10 drops Raspberry Extract
Mix the l-ascorbic acid and water, then add the other ingredients. Once again, make fresh every week to keep the vitamin c fresh and potent! Keep in the fridge.
Makes my skin soft, glowing, and completely redness free. It's a great oil. It does go bad, but I use mine up so fast that it doesn't even get close the expiration date. I will definitely keep buying it!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 9:14:00 AM More reviews by allthecolours

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love sesame oil, I use it for everything! I use it on my hair once a week as a deep conditioner along with coconut oil - it leaves my hair wonderfully soft and silky smooth. I also use sesame oil every night as a pre-cleanser and face moisturizer. I've been using this regime for years and it never breaks my skin out unlike all the other oils I've tried. I massage it into damp skin, wipe of with a cotton pad and follow up with my Burt's Bee's cleanser. Pat my face until it's just a little damp, then pat the sesame oil onto my skin. It leaves my skin smooth, clear, hydrated. I just love it. A bottle lasts me at least half a year, and considering it costs under 2 I save a lot of money on skincare!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 3:58:00 PM More reviews by prairiegirl80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE!! I use it as a makeup remover and a facial moisturizer in the summer (I live in Winnipeg, so I need something a little more rich during the winter months). I have the most sensitive skin EVER. Most products give me a rash, but this stuff is heavenly. I love that it is all natural too :) I use Aura Cacia organic sesame oil (I order it from Well.ca since it can be difficult to find in stores sometimes).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by uyai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used sesame oil every week on my hair, leaving it on for 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning as normal. I have naturally black hair that can look flat if it isn't nourished properly, but by using sesame oil I get soft, silky, lustrous hair and minimal breakage/split ends. It penetrates really easily and that's why my hair feels so much stronger now. It also works really well as a dry scalp treatment - I just massage it into my scalp and it gets rid of flakiness. I've also heard it acts as a UV filter on the hair, preventing colour fade and damage from the rays.

It works wonderfully on the skin aswell; either as a massage oil, moisturizer or healing oil. My skin feels really supple and hydrated after using, plus the smell is mouth-watering (atleast to me it is anyway). A lot of people use Aloe Vera on sun burn but I prefer to use sesame oil as it really helps to calm burns. If I run out of my regular moisturizer (aloe vera and tea tree gel) then I use sesame oil as it doesn't break me out and leaves my skin nice and glowy.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No