July 30, 2014 | 2089 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Cortex 1" Flat Iron (Tourmaline Ceramic Plate)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by smatti

Not crazy about this flat iron but you get what you pay for. I bought this at Winners for about $45 and it has lasted a few years. With that being said, my hair is medium-thick and it does not get it pin straight and I have to touch it up every morning and my hair gets humid easily and starts to poof out. I find it difficult to curl with this iron also. I'm looking into getting the KQC iron next.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by mzb86

I used this on my sisters hair, who has very kinky stubborn, thick hair. I did everything to it, but only this straightner was the answer. I brought this from Tjmaxx for 16 dollars at clearance. Its awesome. it makes your hair shiny, and very nice curls as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Princess2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great product to prevent heat damage to your hair. The ceramic plate is gentle on your hair. A very easy product to use. I do use it about 5 times a week and it makes a huge difference to my thick hair. It makes it smooth and not that wild :-) A bit pricy but worth every penny! I love the Cortex brands, they truly sell good quality products.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by callmechristy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was recently using a crappy drugstore ceramic flat iron to straighten my hair until I noticed that it started to give me a ton of split ends! I went to Winners and bought myself a Cortex Platinum Black Series Tourmaline Flat Iron in zebra print for just $39.99 The price is comparable at $90.00. I can start by saying that this flat iron works pretty well on my hair. It makes my hair smoother, shiner, and silkier. I've noticed less split ends in my hair. Overall I think this flat iron is worth the price I payed for. It definetely is not the best, because their are better flat irons out there, and it isn't the worst as well. I reccomend this flat iron to people who are looking for a cheap straightener that causes less damage to hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by nabs07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the Pink Duo (Standard + mini) for $49.99 CAD at Winners...
I've been in the market for a new straightener that heats up to 450F. I currently own the GHD and Sedu (both are great) but wanted something that would give me awesome curls (surround heating) + smooth finish + adjusting heating up to 450.

This caught my eye because the packaging was really nice...very 'expensive' looking and it came with a mini version which is convenient and 'nice to have' and a clip.

CONS:
This sucks. It does not glide down your hair like ceramic plates should...instead it felt like the straightener kept getting 'stuck' as I straightened. The end look was very 'straw-like' and not sleek. The SMELL! This produced a plastic smell as I straightened. This is getting returned asap!

PROS:
Nice colour choices (red/pink/black), adjustable heating, heats up fast

If you're looking for something cheap to get the job done, go for this. But if you want a beautiful finish...spend $50-70 bucks more and get a Babyliss or T3!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 12:02:00 AM More reviews by Paramore

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this for 39.99 at Winners (the Canadian TJ Maxx, basically) with the normal flat iron and a bonus mini version for travel and small touchups and such. I rarely use the mini version, but it seems to work fine, no issues minus the handle getting a bit too warm during usage. As for the normal flat iron, hot damn, I love it. I don't really have high-maintenance hair to start out with - Asian, thus my hair is naturally straight and sleek and decently shiny - but what this magic straightener does is make it STRAIGHTER and SLEEKER and SHINIER. It's fab, I don't even have to use a shine serum with this, only heat protectant, and my hair comes out glossy and beautiful! It curls my hair excellently as well. A+ iron, especially for the price, get it now instead of spending 100+ for a CHI!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Brittanywest49

I loved how inexpensive this flat iron was. I used to work in a salon and I found that this was about the same quality as the ones we used years ago. However, there has been a lot of developments in this particular type of product since then.
I have lots of VERY fine curly blonde hair and I find that after using this, my hair is in the worst condition it has ever been in. It smells burned permanently until it gets cut off. I think the integrity of my hair has definitely been comprimised.
Not only that, but the heat dial doesn't seem to work and only stays at the highest heat. In order to do my hair I have to repeatedly turn the device off if it gets too hot and on when it's not quite warm enough.
I would not buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2011 10:24:00 PM More reviews by canadiancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Before I purchased this I was using a cheap Vidal Sassoon straightener that I got for $20. It served the purpose for several years, but I wanted to upgrade. I was excited when I saw this at Winner's for $40, since it can retail for over $100.
The one I have is zebra print. It has many heat settings for any hair type and thickness. My hair has a slight wave, but I have a lot of hair and it's thick, so I usually set it at 350-400 degrees. The straightener heats up really fast, which is great.
This is a really good straightener and much better than my old one. I only have to go over each section of hair once, twice at the most, and my hair is perfectly straight. (with my old straightener I had to go over each section 3 times!). My hair stays straight until the next time I wash it, about every 2 days.
The only complaint I have about this flat iron, is that I have noticed more split ends and breakage since I started using it. If you plan on buying it, make sure you are using a heat protecting product and getting regular trims. Also, try to use it on a lower heat setting if possible.
Overall, I think this is a great product for the money and would most likely buy it again if it broke. If you are thinking of buying it, check Winners because I have seen them there several other times since I bought mine.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by derposaurus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have thick long hair. Very frizzy, wavy, curly and again it's THICK. I grew up with naturally silky straight hair and then as I got older it started to change. After seeing all my curly haired friends in my teenage years go through their journey of finding a decent straightener, I knew where to go for mine. I definitely remember hearing many times "did you know they have really cheap salon quality straighteners at winners? they're like 40 bucks! and they come from a salon". so, I decided to give that a shot.

I knew about all the big brands... chi and coroliss etc, but I had no idea what any of these brands were in front of me at winners. I went with a black cortex because it was only 35$ (I got a slightly smaller version... not the mini, still bigger than that) and it looked good in the package. I've been using it for almost a year now and it's been alright. I mean it's definitely a good result for the price that you pay. That is for sure. I just disagree with alot of the reviews saying it's just as good or better than one they paid over 100$ for. My hair is so thick and it is very time consuming to do a thorough straightening job with this flat iron. It heats up fast, but I let it sit for 5-10 minutes just to make sure its' VERY hot, and I still struggle with how difficult it is to do a thorough job. I find everytime i run it through a section, it takes about 5+ times of running it over before it is silky straight. And these aren't a quick "run over" either, this is like a slow drawn out one with steam coming out of my hair. With how much hair I have, it takes about 45 minutes to do a thorough job. When it's done, it looks very good. But kind of dull, and I've found that my natural waves start to show again halfway through the day. I've been borrowing friends straighteners to experiment and find one i might like more. These are all over 100$ ones bought out of a salon. I find with those types it is MUCH less work to do a thorough job. Maybe 20 minutes instead of 45 with the cortex, and my hair looks shiny afterwards and stays straight until the end of the day.

The cortex is definitely good for the price, and would probably be amazing and better than an expensive one if you don't have a thick head of hair. I mean it has been pretty good even with my thick hair. My issue is that I just really have been trying to find a quick routine in the morning, and 45 minutes to complete my hair is not good. I also dont appreciate how it gets less straight as the day goes on. So it's up to you and what you value and what you are looking for in a straightener. I'm probably going to be purchasing a biosilk soon, but this was an acceptable straightener in the meantime.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I had been using the Remmington wet 2 straight but it finally died after about 6 years (the cermaic plating had worn off) and I wanted to try something better - although I really did like the Remmington.

I picked up the hot pink duo @ TJ Maxx for around $35 because of the great reviews.. It has a 1" and a mini. I seemed like it had everything I wanted: thin enough to get my bangs, able to curl, ceramic plates, high-er end.

I have to say, I didnt think it was very good. First of all, my hair did snag on it. And the plates don't squeeze together (there is a gap) which might not be a problem if you already have somewhat straight hair, but my hair is naturally curly and I really need some pressure to straighten it. Also, it didn't get my hair very straight, even at the highest setting. It always looked like it had a body wave, which looked nice (I got a lot of compliemnts) but I want it to be able to make my hair poker straight, espcially if I am going to blast my hair with 450 degrees! My hair had a lot of static & frizz. I tried to curl with it, and the curl would not hold. The Iron gets really hot from the outside, so I needed to use a glove with it. I honestly thought my old & cheap Remington was a better was a better iron for my hair.

I actually though the mini iron was a lot better (which has no temp. control). It heats up to 400 degrees and I swear it gets hotter then the 1" turned up to the max.

I really wanted it to work, but I just doesnt get my hair very straight and doesn't make subjecting my hair to that much heat worth it.

I sounds nothing like the Ions other people re using, maybe I got a bad one?

update: I ended up returning it and picking up a Babyliss Pro Ceramic ($20 on clearance!) and I feel like it is worlds better then the cortex. The babyliss makes my hair pin straight, smooth, shiny and does not snag at all and it is much easier to curl with. Babyliss FTW!