Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black

4.4

on 3/22/2015 11:18:00 AM

Colorsilk is the best haircolor,and it won't cost you a fortune! If you want a deep, deep brown that isn't harsh or fake looking, try this! I actually love both "Brown Black" and "Dark Brown". My hair is naturally a light-medium ash brown, that I prefer to darken to help my features stand out more. I am half-Portuguese so darker hair just suits me more. Colors fade a lot on me, since my hair is porous from being highlighted blonde so many times, so I found that sometimes the "Dark Brown" was too light for my taste, once the initial "color fading" had taken place. This shade is similar, but deeper, so once it fades, it's the perfect deep natural brown that I want. It does start off looking almost black, but even on day 1 is not overly harsh or "blue" looking. That's what I love about these deep Colorsilk shades, they look so natural, and with repeated use, almost gives natural highs and lows somehow. My hair is a few inches past shoulder length, and I require 2 boxes, but I do have thicker hair than most. It's still really cheap, because 2 boxes of this color is the same (or less) than 1 box of most other drugstore colors. I color my hair often, more than I should, because I hate faded haircolor, and this really doesn't damage it, in fact it looks shinier and feels softer when I use it. And yesterday, I scored 4 boxes of this shade @ Big Lots for only $1.90/each!

on 2/23/2015 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Revlon Colorsilk is my absolute fave brand of hair color. I've tried so many others (including getting my hair colored at high end salons), yet I keep coming back to this cheapie but goodie. It softens my hair, and the little packet of conditioner that comes in each box is simply luxurious. I wish they sold a bottle of it, because it always leaves my hair feeling so soft and silky, better than it did before coloring. I hope they never, ever stop making this.

on 2/18/2015 6:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used Revlon's Colorsilk #45 Bright Auburn previously and loved the product, but decided to recolor with a different and pricier brand (L'Oreal) in a similar shade last month. The result was terrible - it turned out a dull orange and dried my hair to a crisp. I stuck it out while the color faded to an unsettling brassy tone, then broke down and recolored with the light brown Colorsilk shade a week or so later. That helped with healing my damaged follicles and split ends, along with a short hair cut, but did not cover up the dull brass.

Colorsilk #20 is the poor woman's solution to a bad dye job. It covered up the brass and allowed flattering highlights to gleam through. The color came out near jet black (shockingly dark) that night but faded to a soft brown black the morning after. It's a gorgeous color that leaves hair soft and manageable (no frizz to speak of, thankfully). I have no grey so I can't speak on that, but I imagine the coverage would do well.

Pros - $2.99/box at Wal Mart, scored it for less at an outlet store.
Inexpensive! Two boxes will be needed for long tresses but won't break the bank
The after-color conditioner packet is like liquid gold
Colors evenly, covers up bad dye jobs well
Fades to a lovely brown rather than a dull brass shade
No strong chemical odor (leaves hair with a pleasant scent)
Rinses out easily and quickly
Doesn't immediately stain everything it touches (wipe off with warm water)

Cons -
Messy, not the easiest application
20-30 minutes
Gloves are crap but aren't the worst at that price point
Will leave hair feeling brittle without conditioner! Use the included packet asap!!

I love this! I'm giving it only 4 stars because I get really itchy from it. It comes out pretty dark at first but wash with a clarifying shampoo a few times and it fades into a dark chocolate brown and looks so natural.

on 8/16/2014 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

If you want the Goth look and your hair to look so black it's almost purple or blue, then this dye and color is the product for you. However I wanted a really deep, dark brown but this color looked jet black immediately after coloring.

The pros:
-it seems like a good hair dye; with the exception of the color the formula is as good as any of the other more expensive brands
-no ammonia; the scent is quite pleasant
-incredible price
-hair looks lustrous and shiny immediately after coloring
-completely and easily covers grays

The cons:
-the colors are mislabeled; I'll try the lighter brown colors and see if they can produce a dark brown

I read some other reviews about washing the dye out of your hair with clarifying shampoo for a few days for dark dyes and will try that but I've been successful with other dyes that produce the color I want immediately after the first color. For the price however, it's worth one more try with another color

on 7/17/2014 2:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used the newer product, Revlon Colorsilk 3D Color Technology #20 Brown Black, to cover my previous hair color - auburn after 3 months of waiting.

It is a level 3.5 darkest brown hair dye in neutral tone (Taken from haircolor.wikia.com).

It was inexpensive so I bought 3 because I have very full long wavy hair. It was easy to mix and did not have a chemical smell. The product was very watery and difficult to apply with out splashing everywhere. It turned my hair hard while waiting the 20 minutes. It took a long time to wash out but that is expected with any "black" hair dye. The color looked more like jet black level 1.

As with any darkest brown or black brown hair dye, you have to continue to wash the hair dye out to remove the dye residue. I used a clarifying shampoo for the past couple of days as well as a good conditioner and hair mask. The rest of the dye washed out. The color lightened to the color on the box which is absolutely fabulous! The color is a natural darkest brown without being black. It's a nice color to have when black looks to harsh on you - as it does on me. I am very pleased with the color and will even try Revlon Luxurious Buttercream in Brown Black in the future.

EDIT (2/13/2015)
Since the last time I posted, I wanted to use the blackest hair dye I could find so I used L'Oreal Superior Preference in Black Sapphire 2BL (Paris Lumiere). After 8 weeks, it washed out and began to fade. I allowed it to fade and I used the Revlon Brown Black hair dye again. It turned out a darkest brown black like the first time I used it. So, on my hair even after using black hair dye, it still turned out great. I'm sticking with the brand and color.

on 1/28/2014 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is a gorgeous ALMOST black but not so harsh. I am hooked on it. I use it to cover gray and to enhance my hair color. My hair is always VERY shiny from using this and the odor to me is mild. Best of all, this costs 2.97 at Target and Walmart...uh...no one knows or cares where you got your hair done as long as you look good. It have used this hair color for more than 10 years and I get compliments on my hair all the time..I laugh internally knowing how much this costs to maintain. I love it!

Happy Makeuping!

on 1/24/2014 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I dyed my hair yesterday with this color, Colorsilk in Dark Brown matches my roots perfectly but when it starts to fade they become lighter than the rest of my hair (darkest ash brown) so I decided to go with #20 this time, color came out very even and shiny, appears to match seamlessly with the rest of my hair, it covered the med/dark brown roots, I like that the mix is brown/green, hair color looks super dark brown/darkest brown with a touch of warm brown. I really hope this color stays the same on roots.
EDIT: washed my hair and the water was running brown, also my towel was stained brown, I am sad that a lot of the brown color washed out, next coloring I will probably go back to Ebony Mocha.
Two weeks later and all the brown washed out, my hair looks beautiful and shiny but this color is a "natural soft black", there's not a drop of dark brown in my hair, I am glad I am in a black hair kick otherwise I would be very disappointed.
March 21, used this color again, washed my hair today and water was running brown, same as before, however the color pay-off is pretty good, my hair looks super dark and shiny

on 12/17/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love Colorsilk so much, It just works. It doesn't smell, it doesn't damage my hair, it doesn't sting or itch, it's dirt cheap, it doesn't drip everywhere, and the color lasts forever. If I ever stray and use another box brand, there is always something off. Hot roots, uneven color, and other brands are so expensive. The only downside is that the gloves in the kit are really crappy, but I have a box of gloves for dying my hair anyway, and I know it keeps the overall cost low. I have fine, pixie short, naturally dark blonde hair that I dye very dark brown. I use either this or dark brown, and I feel like they both come out about the same color. I've never compared it side-by-side, though. I recommend this to everyone wanting very dark, permanent color.

on 12/16/2013 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Very nice dark brown shade with neutral tones. I have naturally light-medium brown hair. I wanted to go darker. Normally I use wash out dyes to darken but I didn't love any of the shades. I wanted to try black but was afraid it would look too harsh against my fair skin and light eyes. I decided to give this dark brown/black a try based on reviews. Love the color. My hairs looks soooo shiny and rich in photos. The color really isn't too harsh or dark for fair ladies. I usually dye my hair light so sometimes I can't handle the drastic change to dark. Really was a vdry pretty shade. The color looked natural too. It's so cheap. Definitely worth a try. I don't normally buy Revlon hair color but really liked this particular shade.

Popular Hair Color Products