September 17, 2014 | 966 users online

Treatments (Face) - United Pharmacies - AcneDerm Cream (Azelaic Acid)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by meraxes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this product for a year now and I find it quite effective. I used to put it on twice a day, morning and night but now I only use it at night because like the other posters here, it balls up when I put foundation and powder over it. There is some itchiness but it's not too annoying. I don't have an acne problem, just pimples that pop up once in a while so a tube lasts a long time for me, pretty much a year.

I recommend this very much.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 12:39:00 AM More reviews by junkfood1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My experience :

OK. 2 years ago my acne went from mild to very very VERY severe because I started a new job which was too stressful for me, so I went to see GP and wanted to ask for accutane. However, my GP said I'd need to try topical retinoid 1st cause accutane is the last resort. After 1 month on tretinoin at night, literially all my pimples, blackhead and all the junk were gone, but it left all the red marks on my face. I kept using tretinoin for 3 more months and the red marks still remained (although my skin was already clear). Therefore, I tried this azelaic acid 20% cream after shower in combination with tretinoin at night. With both creams that I used for further 6 months, all my marks disappeared. In fact, it was so drastic that even people at work would ask me how I got my skin so clear and people who met me after I got clear had zero idea I used acne on every single inch of my face. I highly recommend this to anyone with acne!

Cons:

- its a lotion but if u rub it between your fingers it definitely balls up and u can't use a sunscreen/ anything on top of it. Thus, what i do is to wet my face 1st after shower and rub the lotion in my skin. That way the lotion won't ball up.
- cant use it at the same time as tretinoin I tried it once and my skin became SOOOO itchy, so only use this lotion after shower. (cant use in the morning cus it balls up with sunscreen and not at night either cus tretinoin + this lotion makes my skin very itchy)
- it's can be quite drying and u cant use moisturiser afterwards + it sorta gives you that white powdery appearance, so only use it when u dont plan to go out at night.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2010 4:44:00 AM More reviews by woolie7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have read an article about what fantastic hyperpigmentation removing effects that azelaic acid can pull off in combination with retinoid cream. So I decided to try it. I am into my third month of using EpiDuo - which has the same amount of adapalene as found in Differin plus 2.5% BP.

I have been using this cream for only four days so I cannot tell much about its effects. But instantly it reduced my whitehead pimple into half. Most of my pimples which scarcely emerge (thanks to my EpiDuo), are mostly whiteheads gone infected, appearing red, bumpy in appearance. They are hard to get rid of with salycilic acid treatments like Origins Spot Remover. But this azaleic acid cream did that overnight and I am pretty pleased with it.

The cream does irritate skin to some extent, not as severely as Differin / EpiDuo did to my skin in the past. But azaleic acid is categorized as an irritant according to Wikipedia. However, it did not cause any excess peeling of my skin, but just tingling sensation for seconds after applying the cream.

The cream does smell like PVA glue, and it forms a film on my face like PVA glue. It instantly peels off after it sets. So I am concerned about whether the actual substance is effectively absorbed into my skin or not. It is hard to apply the cream and apply moisturisers or other treatments after that.

The cream costs about $8.00 AUS at pharmacies, so the cost is dirt cheap in comparison to Finacea (which costs $25 AUS). Azelaic Acid based items are over the counter product so it would be worth a try for those looking for acne treatment.

I plan to use the cream at least for the next few months. But I would like to try Finacea after I am done with this cream

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by cadbury

Edit 2012 - This is now called Azclear medicated lotion

AcneDerm is an equivalent to Skinoren or Finacea, containing 20% azelaic acid. I chose AcneDerm because it is oil-free. (Here in NZ I can buy either AcneDerm or Skinoren at the pharmacy. It cost me $20NZD for a 25g tube, which looks quite small. It can be purchased online for slightly cheaper, plus shipping.)

My skin is currently plagued by blackheads and comedones. I also have scars and uneven skin tone. I have combination skin, but now my forehead is flaky, and devoid of the oil it once had. I have recently started using microfiber cloths to exfoliate, which have helped my skin texture somewhat.

Yesterday was my first day of using AcneDerm. I had heard the consistency was thick like glue - but I didn't find this at all. Don't get me wrong, its not liquid and runny, but it spread easily on my face with no offensive scent. I do see how it will be difficult to wear certain lotions or makeup on top, because when I put my moisturiser on top, it created a weird texture. This can be remedied by using moisturiser first, if needed. I have not tested it under makeup or sunscreen, but if it doesn't work, I'll just wear AcneDerm only at night.
I used it twice yesterday, and had no adverse reaction even though I have sensitive skin. My skin felt soft and my pores looked instantly smaller, especially on my nose.

Today is Day 2. In the morning my skin was still smooth and soft, no excess oil or dryness. A few small scabs were peeling, and two small pimples were being brought to the surface. I had heard this may cause a bit of purging initially, so I assume that is the reason.
I used AcneDerm all over my face, even my cheeks where I don't break out, because I am also hoping to fade pigmentation. I'm not sure if it will work on old marks, but fingers crossed.
I will update this review as time passes. Hope this helps !

Day 5 - Parts of my skin are very smooth, while most of my forehead is still purging. It is a bearable purging though..so I will persevere.

Update
Day 17 - My skin is a lot clearer. There are spaces of smooth skin on my forehead that haven't been that way for a long time. My skin is not close to perfect yet, but it really is a good improvement. I have been using acnederm twice daily, and the tube is not empty yet, but I'd estimate it will be in another 2 weeks. One thing I don't like is that it hardens the skin so that what is trapped underneath can't surface. However this is minor, especially if it stops breakouts, then this won't be a problem. I also think it makes spots more red than they would usually be, and they take slightly longer to heal. I've found i can wear liquid foundation over this as long as I don't rub too much, or else it will flake off.
Overall, I am very impressed and will definitely keep using it in the hopes my skin will gt even better.

Day 47 - My tube is now completely empty, and I am going to repurchase today. Although around the one month mark I thought I might not see any more improvement, my skin did continue to get better! I still break out on my forehead at least once a month, but acnederm prevents these pimples from growing. (It does make it harder to extract though, so I tend to leave it alone). My clogged pores are now much smaller. I spend less time putting on makeup and dont need concealer. The best way to describe my skin is CALM.
I really didnt think my skin issues could be solved by finding that one elusive product, but acnederm has made a huge improvement. Will continue to update :)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2008 5:32:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I actually bought this over a month ago, but didn't use it until a week or so ago. why did I wait? because I was really, truly, terrified of it. Here's the thing: I ordered it before I started researching it online, which was a problem. as soon as I started reading about Azeliac Acid I got worried; stories of unbearable itchiness, lack of effect vs. hassle to using it, etc, etc. My worry soon matured into full blown fear & paranoia by the time it actually arrived. I let it sit in my bathroom for a month, but when I upped my retin-a usage recently I started to purge a bit more than I'd like. okay, my skin looked like s**t, but hey, that's life. I had used retin-a micro for 3 nights straight and knew that was my limit, but I wanted, nay *needed*, something to put on my skin to help w/ the purging, so I whipped out the ol' tube of AcneDerm. I figured if it started itching I could wash it off, simple as that. Thankfully I had no itching (though I did lay in bed all paranoid thinking to my self " OMG was that an itch I felt!?" as I tried to fall asleep that night), and when I woke up the next morning that nasty swollen lump on my cheek that had been kicking it there for a few days was almost gone. the rest of my skin sure looked a good deal better too. I should note though, that while generally it's kicking a** and taking names breakout-wise it has brought up a nasty cystic pimple on my chin, so I think that like retin-a purging a bit may be normal, but generally it's improving. So, of course, since it's working great I decided that it should really be in my daily routine, so I use it during the day now, and a few nights a week (after I use my booth's skin peel and bigelow purifying mask - I think RAM is just too much for those nights). HOWEVER, we are now coming to the reason for only 4 lippies: It's like rubbing Elmer's glue on your face. seriously. it even smells like it. I can actually wear sunscreen and mineral makeup over this, but I tried putting on liquid foundation today and it balled up so bad I looked like I belonged in a cheap horror movie, or like I had rubbed elmer's glue on my face and was now rubbing it off in little balls. same difference. so if you have to wear liquid foundation (powder seems to be fine) do not use this under it. so, in conclusion, it does have its downsides, but for the most part it works very well, and very quickly, especially in combination w/ retin-a. I will certainly repurchase in the future.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No