October 21, 2014 | 1992 users online

Hair Color - hennaforhair.com Yemen Henna

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 7:33:00 AM More reviews by vikavi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I buy my henna from hennaboy, it is really good, I mix it with indigo and amla+tea tree essential oil and it gives me nice ash medium brown color, very satisfied. I tried jamilla henna once, but I didn't like the result, my hair became too dark, deep burgundy, not for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Msgdfx1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been hennaing my hair for about two (2) years now and I love it. I purchased from Mehandi.com and I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. I have used several different hennas that are supplied by them, however, I love the Yemen because it builds up to a deeper, auburn color on my dark, hair. I henna about every 2 - 3 months and believe me, it is a job. I have to give myself a really, good conditioning treatment following the henna job and it is heck to rinse out, but, I have never been disapointed with the results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2009 1:36:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is definitely high quality henna. It is very fine silted and hence is so much easier to rinse out of your hair. I have natural red hair and like to use the henna kit for brunettes sold at hennaforhair.com I have purchased henna twice so far from Catherine and find that she ships promptly. Have had no complaints so far. I like to mix the henna with applecider vinegar and let it sit overnight. Then I mix the amla and indigo with warm water in the morning and mix it into the henna. Wrap my hair in plastic wrap and leave it on for at least 3 hours. UPDATE: Definitely do a test strand and wait a week to see how the color changes before applying this to your hair! Because with this grade of henna, you are going to be stuck with the color PERMANENTLY. Also henna builds up on the hair with repeated use. So once you get the color you like, just do root touch every month or so. Don't keep applying it all over your head. And the only shade you are going to get with henna is some type of orange/red/purple tone. The henna for hair website info made me believe I could actually darken my red hair to an auburn/brown shade and that is just not so. Henna also made my hair all one color which I did not like. I really miss my natural golden highlights. I have tried over a dozen different treatments to lift the henna from my hair to no avail. So, make sure the color is what you want.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2009 3:54:00 PM More reviews by pandorax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Henna for Hair rocks! I used to dye my hair red with permanent or semi-permanent dyes, and both would fade quickly and leave my hair more and more damaged, until I just decided to not use them anymore. I had been maintaining the red color with L'Oreal color pulse, Sebastian Cellophanes, and other brands, but none were all too satisfactory for one reason or another. Finally I happened onto hennaforhair.com and started using the high grade hennas sold here. My hair is now totally healthy, shiny, silky and soft, and the red color lasts for months (maybe even permanently, but not sure since I refresh and touch up roots every couple of months to maintain it). I used to have to use all kinds of smoothing balms and serums to tame my wavy hair that was dried out from chemical dyes, but it's so healthy now that I don't need to anymore, which is another big plus. I spend so much less time on coloring hair now, and it's in the best condition ever.

I like to get a nice deep auburn on my naturally medium brown hair, so I use the Yemen henna formulated for gray hair (although my hair isn't gray) since it has the most intense color. I've also used the Jamila with good results. I mix it with water and some apple cider vinegar until it gets to the right consistency, put it on at night and cover with a shower cap, and sleep in it. When I rinse and wash it out the next morning my hair is a beautiful rich auburn color. The first day is slightly orangey - but not bad at all - and then it deepens over the next few days to a deeper and very natural looking auburn.

I've used lower grade hennas and not gotten the best results, plus the cheaper stuff is a pain to use and soooo messy - it was like putting dirt clods in my hair. High grade henna, on the other hand, makes a nice smooth paste and is much easier to use. I love this stuff, and will probably always use it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 8:59:00 PM More reviews by BigglyBoo

My hair has become pretty healthy now using the Yes To Carrots, so I decided to henna me and spring for a new style.

Love the henna! See my profile photo for color, or check photos with product review - I uploaded one.

Yes I did my eyebrows, too:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by magdalene00

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using henna consistently at least every 3 weeks since late 2003 to cover gray. Originally I just wanted to get away from the damaging salon dyes and from the frequent application of chemicals to my scalp, for health reasons.

// I came across Henna for Hair while researching; I had already started using henna but the tips there helped me refine my technique and mixes. Catherine is one of the vendors I use. Yes, she can be prickly but she also ships quickly and is honest and reliable.

// Yemen henna is one of my favorites for deep color and for covering gray. Using henna has been the best move I've ever made as far as hair care... I get complimented regularly on the shine and silkiness. Salon owners (I let them cut, no color anymore) are amazed at how glossy and healthy it is. Henna has not made my hair "hard" or "wooly" as claimed in another post. (Perhaps it's a mix issue... I mix mine with tea, effective but gentle.) Quite the contrary... my hair has never been healthier.

// Another favorite is Jamila for consistent results and dark stain.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2009 5:39:00 AM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I come from a family of women who have used henna forever in their hair. I've used henna off and on since my teens, but now I'm done with it. For good.
It's true that henna gives a gorgeous glow to your hair in the beginning. It's also true that henna stays there until you grow it out or cut it off. But, and I say this from years of experience henna will eventually make your hair straighter and harder to the touch. In my case, it makes my hair "woolly" a few months after having done it. I have coarse, curly hair to begin with, and henna makes it woolly and dry on top of that, which is not a good combination, natural or not.
Granted, henna is better for your hair and skin than conventional hair color. But it's not all that great for all types of hair.
Hennaforhair.com is a good site and the forum is excellent. I'm not too fond of the owner, Catherine. She doesn't respond to criticism very well and her CS is less than outstanding. I much prefer Hennaboy's CS (they're in the UK). The quality of Catherine's henna is excellent as far as henna goes, though.

16 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 5:27:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This over my dark brown hair made it a deep dark auburn that looks almost black in dull light but reflects an almost burgundy highlight. It also makes the hair unbelievably healthy, shiny and strong. I found that after a few hennas, I needed alot less conditioner. The smell is a little gross though, I recommend putting some of your favorite essential oil in the mix.

The picture on my profile shows my hair color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 1:40:00 AM More reviews by rubie

This is the true, highest grade body-art quality henna and I know it for sure after trying Light Mountain henna a couple of times. Wow, what a difference! The henna purchased from this website is so fresh and pure. The pure henna claimed by the Light Mountain now feels like grain of sands. The deposit of color is very strong==the finish is vibrant and stays forever. I have tried both the regular henna and blue one combined to dye my hair dark brown and the result is gorgeous. Yes, it's quite a work to dye with TRUE henna (it's almost like doing a prep for baking something!), but once you're used to, it's o.k. The return is enormous for hard work--shiny, healthy hair with all the gray totally covered PLUS zero risk of cancer.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 10:13:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay well I'm not really reviewing the henna itself from hennaforhair.com although I do looove that web site and THEY are the reason why I started hennaing to begin with! I'm just reviewing henna in general, I did receive a sample of henna from hennaforhair.com but I 100% prefer my usual henna since the hennaforhair henna had a horrid ghastly metallic stench! My usual henna (I just get it from the health food store, no brand name) is also 100% pure henna (and it looks and smells like it too!), finely milled and has no twigs or chaff or any other gunky stuff some people complain about their hennas. You can find lots of recipes on hennaforhair.com, I just mix 200-300 g. of henna (I have long hair) with lots of lemon juice, lavender EO and some water or rosemary/sage tea, I let this mixture sit around for about 12 hours or more, melt some pure cocoa butter into a tiny amount of hot water and mix it in too. Then I put on the henna and leave it in for at least 4 hours, wash it out 2-3x with shampoo then condition really well and that's it. I get the shiniest curls imaginable! I like to henna once a month. Oh and it gives me gorgeous reddish/coppery/wine-coloured highlights (I have plain black hair anyways so NOTHING ever ever ever shows up vibrant or light coloured on it, impossible! I am definitely not a bleach blonde!).

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No