October 31, 2014 | 859 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Silk Creme Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2007 10:29:00 PM More reviews by tanni

This is by far my most favorite cream foundation.

What Sephora says: "This long-wearing foundation evens out skin tone as it increases skin luminosity and clarity for a radiant glow. The rich, creamy texture glides over the skin effortlessly for perfect application and blendability. Perfect for rosacea and hard to cover pigmentation. Ideal for all skin types, and oil free."

How does it look once it's on the skin? What is the finish like?

Very natural! Though Silk Creme is full coverage, it manages to not look flat or mask like at all, and gives the illusion of satiny, flawless skin.

I have hyperpigmentation and redness on my skin. Will Silk Creme cover those imperfections?
Yes! Full coverage; perfect for concealing any dark or red spots. (I have this problem, too)

My skin is dry, is this the foundation for me?
The foundation is very moisturizing and not drying at all. I have noticed that, even on my worst dry spot days, this foundation does not accentuate any flakes, etc that many foundations seem to do. (Including cream foundations.)

I have break-outs, will this cover them up?

It definitely should! If you have a large breakout spot, though, I'd recommend using your favorite concealer for extra coverage. A concealer with acne medication would be best.

I have oily skin, is this foundation going to slide off half-way through the day?

Unfortunately, I don't think very oily skin will appreciate this foundation. As it is, only my T-Zone is oily (mostly my nose) and half-way through the day, it's extremely shiny. However, I remedy this problem by using my favorite mattifying primer. (Fyrinnae Rice Powder primer). There are many primers out there that promise to provide a matte finish to your makeup. (I believe Mac has one, too.) I took a point off for the trouble with oil, though, especially since Sephora claims that is "for all skintypes".

This foundation lasts through the whole day, and is incredibly comfortable on the skin. I like to apply this with a foundation brush or my fingers, to get the fullest coverage. This foundation can also be sheered out for much less coverage (yet it's still moisturizing) so on low-makeup days I like to spread a small pea-sized amount over my whole skin's surface area. I have no suffered any breakouts from this foundation, though I have prone to acne. I like to remove this with an oil-based makeup remover. (I use Lumene's)

I wear Beige Ivory, and have pictures in my profile of my skin tone. I also wear colors such as O 40 in Shiseido, NC35 in SPF 15 fluid from Mac, #35 in MUFE Mat Velvet, #203 in MUFE Duo Mat, Medium Beige 129 in Max Factor Pan Stick, W4 in L'oreal True Match and Light 4 in Maybelline Pure.

I suggest to everyone who is interested in trying Silk Creme to visit their local Sephora/LM store and be color matched and to try a sample before buying, as $42 for a foundation can be a little pricey for many people, including myself. By trying a sample, you'll know first hand if this is the foundation for you.

continued >>

39 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2007 10:32:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

It took me a while before I could even admit to liking this foundation. I'm a Mercier fan - I love her Secret products, and her Oil Free is a standard in my stash. But Silk Creme seemed all too thick, although the color I chose, Bamboo Beige, was a perfect, perfect match for my Asian, NC30 skin. But after a few tries, and adjusting the amount of product used and the method of application, I found I really enjoy this product. Correction - I really adore this product. My combination to oily skin simply loves it - it doesn't leave me oily (at least not any oilier than any other foundation, oil free or not), and my skin looks like velvet with it on, but it certainly doesn't look mask-like (although I'm sure it did in the beginning, when I was clearly using way too much of it.)

I dot tiny amounts (the operative word being TINY) of Silk Creme on my face: one on my forehead, one on my nose, one on my chin, and one dot on each cheek. I then buff it out with my stippling brush until it looks airbrushed, and then I either apply a cream blush. I then set lightly with the powder of the day. My skin just looks luminous and clear. Whether in harsh, unfriendly fluorescent light or in super bright sunshine, I don't ever look like I have a face full of makeup - it just looks like my skin is naturally flawless. There's something to be said about this pricier foundation - you really get your money's worth. If you're finding it's too thick for you, play around with it a bit. Change brushes, sponges, sheer it out, build it up. Play with it before you give up on it. It's absolutely worth it, and it's undoubtedly gorgeous. continued >>

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

Skin Type: NC15, oily, acne-prone. A few active blemishes and scars, larger pores around cheeks. No wrinkles, except for very fine lines under eyes.

I truly had high hopes for this foundation. Let me just start off by saying that if you have oily skin like I do, stay far away from this!! It is definitely geared towards people who have dry, normal, and slightly combination skin types, hence the "luminous" claim. What kills me is that this looks absolutely gorgeous when freshly applied. It just melts into my skin, looking natural while also providing very good coverage. It is a light cream foundation that is easily blendable. I thought I had discovered the find of the century, until I looked in the mirror a few hours later, and was horrified! My face looked caked with makeup and it was literally melting off my face. I thought I could solve this issue with a few blotting sheets, but it actually removed the foundation entirely!! So I was left looking blotchy and gross, causing me to hide my face the entire day. Needless to say, it will be the last time I am using this foundation unless my skin miraculously transforms into a blemish, oil-free work of art. However, I will recommend this to those fortunate enough to posses normal and dry skin who don't have to worry about foundation literally melting off their face.

Shade References: I used this in Soft Ivory, which is probably too light for a true NC15. It is perfect if your skin is very fair, but with yellow undertones and have trouble finding foundation that isn't too "peachy". The next shade, Cream Ivory, is good for NC20-NC25. Rose Ivory and Cream Ivory are of the same shade intensity, but Cream Ivory has more yellow undertones. For shade reference, the Youtube beauty guru Juicystar07, aka Blair, uses Rose Ivory.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2008 9:38:00 PM More reviews by onitacy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. This is my HG foundation. At Neiman's, the SA originally sold me Rose Ivory which was a tad too pink. She was rather a B*&ch when I tried to return it for Cream Ivory which was a FAR better fit...but gave me such attitude I gave up and waited a month. I went back to Neimans, she was STILL there, and STILL a B*&^CH. I asked for someone else and that woman gladly sold me Cream Ivory. Needless to say, I won't be buying it from Neimans again...about the formula....it truly is flawless, and for someone with rosacea and dry skin, it makes my skin look luminous and flawless. A previous reviewer commented on its consistency, and yes, it is a bit heavy which is great for covering flaws, but I also use a Chanel foundation brush for areas that don't need as much coverage. Definitely buildable. And the best part, it doesn't break me out!

19 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2007 10:56:00 AM More reviews by kmkssm

This is a great full coverage foundation. I have tried more brands than I care to remember and would fall over dead if I knew how much I have spent through the years looking for the perfect foundation. If you are looking for the finish found in magazine photos this is it. This is a cover everything beautiful, professional looking finish. I want a foundation that hides skin discoloration/sunspots/red blotched. LM Silk finish does all this. Personally I like the SmashBox primer better than the LM primer. Smashbox primer takes away the dullness that for some reason the LM primer does not. I tried the LM moisturizing primer and do not care for it. Using the SmashBox primer gives the best finish/coverage I have ever had. My skin looks lovely, all imperfections are covered, nice glow but not shimmer or shine. I have finally come to the end of my search for the HG foundation but it did require the right primer which for me is SmashBox. This is not a foundation for those who want the natural-tinted moisturizer look. This is flawless/perfect cver it all foundation. You can use a damp sponge or brush if you want sheer cover. As for me I want the polished stepped out of a magazine look. Good luck. Mac, Scott Barnes, SmashBox, Bobby Brown, Estee, Lancome, Gurlain, Bare Escuentals none come close to LM foundation.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2009 8:10:00 PM More reviews by LolaPS

PROS:
--will give you natural looking flawless skin (if you select the right color)
--provides excellent coverage for such a small application of product
--fool-proof; really easy to blend; you can use virtually use any technique or tool to blend this stuff; you can't go wrong with it.
--will not get cakey if you decide to layer this product for more coverage
--long lasting; literally will last all day
--does not feel sticky or heavy (but it's not the most light weight foundation I've ever used)
--will make pores disappear
--photographs very nicely. In other words, you won't look bleached out in pictures.
--does not break me out

CONS:
--One big drawback is that I can't find my color. Everything comes out BEIGE/GREY!!! I can't mix in another color because all her colors are beige...so annoying.
--Very limited color selection...so sad.

TIP:
--Although the color is slightly off, it's such a beautiful foundation and I don't want to get rid of it, so I blend it into my neck to pull it off.
--Your skin will look totally flawless if you set the foundation with Laura Mercier's foundation powder or mineral powder.

FOR REFERENCE:
I'm Asian, NC30 in studio fix fluid, and NC35 in studio powder. I selected the Medium Ivory shade. I have combination skin that is highly prone to acne. To see how this foundation looks on me, I uploaded a picture in my profile. This is my HG foundation.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2009 7:44:00 AM More reviews by linc2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my current HG foundation, having switched from GA Sculpting Creme about 5 months ago. I am much happier with the LM Silk Creme, in terms of color match, application, and finish! I have aging, dry skin, which I believe is the target group, at least the dry part:).

IMO, application technique is key. First, I apply moisturizing ss (LRP Anthelios 15), let that sink in for 15 min, then prime (I use DHC Velvet Coat), then put a pea-sized amount of LM Silk Creme Foundation on the back of my hand (a good-sized pea covers entire face). You must shake well before each use -- that's why it says "shake well" on the tube, LOL. I apply with the LM sponge that comes 4 to a package -- found application superior with her sponge than with fingers, brush, ordinary latex sponges, or SK sponge. It goes on so fast and like a dream with the LM sponge!! I then go over areas with larger pores with the edge of the sponge -- no pores are visible after this step! Then set with La Mer translucent powder. Even in hot weather, this combination lasts all day on me. I might touch up with blotting paper on the hottest, most humid days.

One of the finest, most durable foundations on the market for dry skin. It gives a "flawless finish," comes in a hygienic tube (thank you!), and is totally worth the money.

For reference, I'm NC25 and use Beige Ivory in LM Silk Creme.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 1:57:00 AM More reviews by madasrabbits

I. Love. This. Product. I suffer from acne and eczema, so as a result, I have very sensitive and dry skin, ridden with too many dark acne scars. Concealer has never done much for me, and I'm usually not a fan of liquid makeup because for the full coverage I'd like to get, everything looked like a mask. Except for Laura Mercier's Silk Creme. It covered everything flawlessly, matched my yellow undertones, but looked natural (really, it did) at the same time. I set it with Make Up For Ever's HD Powder and I'm good to go, even with NYC's summer humidity and heat.

Other reviewers had stated that it oil came out of it, but they did not SHAKE THE BOTTLE. It makes an enormous difference. The foundation won't come out streaky that way, either. And for those who said it was too heavy was using much too much. A dime sized amount of makeup is enough to cover my entire face, and I recommend not using much over that, because the foundation is highly pigmented. A little goes a very long way. So I'd suggest using your fingers, maybe a damp sponge. A brush would be a terrible hassle.

Definitely recommended for those who need great coverage. But make sure that you get the correct color because the price is quite steep. Yet, you do get what you pay for-- it's worth every single penny.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2010 3:51:00 PM More reviews by mg86

Best. Foundation. Ever! This is my holy grail for three reasons:
1. This is a great range for PPPs. I wear Rose Ivory, which comes out of the tube looking quite yellow but sets wonderfully on my pink-toned skin, canceling out some of the redness I get in my cheeks without being too warm. Silk Creme only looks too warm on me when I've overdone it, which brings me to my next point...

2. Only a dime-size drop is required for amazing but natural coverage. Because this is a full coverage foundation a little really does go a long way - I find that it is FAR easier to thin-out heavier foundation forumlas than build thin ones, not to mention how much more product you have to use to do the latter. I stipple this on, paying close attention to problem spots and sweeping over uneven areas. Sometimes I've needed to use a wet sponge to thin out the "edges" (my jaw and hairlines) but after a couple of months of practice, I rarely do anymore. I only need to add concealer if I have had an exceptionally bad breakout or haven't slept well.

3. The finish blows everything else I've tried out of the water. I find that this foundation actually IS moisturising and doesn't accentuate the dryness of my skin, rather it has a lovely satiny finish that doesn't look greasy. After a few hours I will see some wear on my chin but otherwise this holds out extremely well, even with no touch-ups. No caking, no color-changes, no melting in mild weather (this may not be the right formula for those in hot climates as it will start to run in 30C+ temperatures).

In all I would recommend this foundation without hesitation to cool PPPs with dry to normal skin. Forget Bobbi Brown, you just need to try this!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 9:33:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For the past two years I have been using all powder & mineral foundations, thinking these would be better for my skin and while I liked the coverage of say Mac Studio Fix Powder and their mineral powder foundation I found they didn't control oilies any better than any liquid foundation I had tried and I was in need of a bit more coverage lately because of some thyroid/rosacea issues I'm experiencing. So I went back to Mac Studio Fix Fluid and found that wasn't making me happy so I went to Laura Mercier and the SA at local dept store suggested the Oil Free and I happily went home with samples to try. Upon going back to actually buy the oil free another SA suggested the silk creme so I bought the oil free but took samples of the Silk Creme home. Upon first use I was in love with Silk Creme. Love the way it applies, the coverage - you can make it light or heavier depending on your skin concerns and it stays on all day and looks beautiful, no oxidizing (i.e. Clinique!). Yes I have to blot around noontime and if I'm going out after work I put on a little powder to freshen myself up but it stays beautiful until late in the evening! For reference I'm VERY oily in the t-zone, combination cheeks and developing slight rosacea from thyroid issues/hormone issues. I'm NW 20 in Mac and am using Bamboo Beige in Silk Creme. Am so in love with this!! I urge you to try it now!!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No