Clairol Born Blonde Maxi

3.5

on 4/22/2015 3:24:00 PM

My hair is naturally a very dark brown and I've been slathering brown / reddish dyes on it for years. This year I decided to go lighter and was thrilled when I found Born Blonde Maxi at my local drug store.

Being completely new to bleach, the first time I used this product I didn't saturate my hair enough and I ended up with minimal results. The second time, I used all the product (my hair is elbow length, if that makes sense). I went from a dark brown to a pumpkin orange. Toner has helped quite a bit, now I'm more of a dark strawberry blonde. I left the bleach in for the full 90 mins and my roots for less than 10 mins. My ends are still fairly dark, maybe a medium to light brown, but I'm hoping one more round of bleach will correct that.

This whole process has been a learning experience for me and I'm grateful to have used Born Blonde to simplify the procedure. It's important to note that you can't really go from dark to bright blonde in one sitting. It's a process. I stripped the brown, which is why I was left with pumpkin orange. When I strip the pumpkin, I'll have more of a yellow blonde colour.

As a newbie with no bleach experience, I would definitely use this product again. Each box cost me $12, which is what I normally pay for dye and the convenience factor can't be beat.

I was very excited to find a hair dye that claimed to dye black/dark brown hair to bleach blonde. I waited 24 hours after washing my hair to dye it. Followed the instructions very exact, even left the dye on for ten extra minutes longer than what the box said, which said 90 minutes. My hair came out this awful brassy/orange color! I was very irritated because the box made it appear that you have bleached hair (or close to it) after one dye session! I have now dyed it a second time, this time my hair is literally bright yellow. This is ridiculous! Maybe third time will be a charm... But this is some extreme FALSE advertising. Won't be buying this again.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Best bleach I've found to get my naturally very dark brown hair to lift to a pale blonde with no yellow. Be sure to look on the box and get the Born Blonde Maxi for dark blonde to black hair. The regular born blonde will not lift very dark brown or black hair past orange. I've made this mistake before. The other reviews saying it didn't lift enough, were probably bc the person didn't leave it on long enough, or it was not the born blonde maxi. I've had great results with this product, and highly recommend it!

on 10/7/2014 10:52:00 AM

I LOVE this dye. But when I do my hair my roots are a little yellow then the rest of my hair. My natural hair color is a dark blonde. I've been using this dye fot years. But I was wondering if there was a certain Toner I could use for my hair after I dye it with this hair dye?!?! Most the time I use two boxes to get my hair as light as possible. But my roots will most of the time turn a lil more yellow then the rest of my hair. Any advice???

on 8/10/2014 11:40:00 AM

This DOES work but if it turns out TOO yellow you either didn't leave on long enough or you need a stronger bleach. HOWEVER it most like is that YOU SHOULD tone it after you lift the color to pale yellow. GO TO YOUTUBE and research. There's lots of info.

AFTER hair is lifted to a pale yellow go buy T18 and developer at Sally's. The girls at Sally's know what this is so talk to them and they will help you find it. Follow the directions AFTER YOU LIFT with Born Blonde. REMEMBER - follow the directions on the toner and developer perfectly.

Leave mixture on for only 8-12 minutes or you will have a light purple tint BUT THAT WILL go away after a couple of washes.

on 12/24/2013 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I don't see why everyone is hating on this product. Its either you guys do not know how to bleach your hair, or youre all just stupid. Its bleach. It does what it says it does, and lift colour. Ive used almost every boxed bleach possible. I used to use Blondissma, but i wanted something new. My favorite bleach got discontinued so i bought this.
My hair at the time of bleach was purple, bright purple. My roots were black about 3 inches. (hadnt bleached since summer) The minute i put this onto my purple, im not even lying, it immediately turned blonde. I was a little scared. After applying to my whole head, i left it on for about 20 minutes. The black part was as i knew it would, be orange yellow. But it was a lot more blonde than using blondissma. The purple was now WHITE. Platinum blonde WHITE. I love it. I just did it yesterday. I used a conditioner on it after and my hair is just as good as it was before. I love this bleach and until i find something better, i think im gonna keep using this. Hope it doesnt get discontinued like my last one

on 10/4/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So I just bought this hair lightening kit? Is it good? My hair had been dyed many times and then I let it grow out to the my natural hair which is a medium brown and I have natural red tints...will this work for me?

This bleach sucks, I've used it twice. Once to take my hair from black told gold coppery orange, and just now to bleach over top of already yellowy hair and it did nothing it didnt lift it at all, this bleach smells absolutely horrible !

on 4/15/2013 7:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have been buying this for years, and use it to strip my hair of color before dyeing it the color of my choice. Remember, people, this is a BLEACH, not a hair dye. I naturally have very dark brown to black hair, and this does an excellent job of evenly stripping my hair of all the color....better than the salon brands I've tried. Each box contains 2 packets of bleach powder, and I can get 4 uses out of each box since I only use this to streak my hair. I do NOT get a platinum blonde out of it, as my hair is very dark, but a brassy yellow that is the perfect base for the dye I apply over it later.

on 4/12/2013 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think the negative reviews on this product are just people that don't understand what this product actually is.....

This is a hair bleach! It's not really meant to produce perfect blonde results it's meant to lift the dark pigment out of your hair so you can then use a blonde toner or hair dye to achieve the desired blonde shade.....this is true of all hair bleaches/lighteners not just this brand....

I personally feel that there are other bleaches available at Sally's that are more comfortable on the scalp and leave the hair in better condition than this one but as far as overall results Born Blonde works just as good as any other bleach/lightener.....If you are trying to go from brown or black to blonde you have to bleach your hair and the darker your hair is the more difficult it's going to be. If your hair is ending up orange or gold/yellow this is completely normal because as I said this product is meant to lift the dark color out of your hair not necessarily give you your desired shade of blonde, I will go into how to fix it if your hair does turn orange or gold.

If your hair is totally orange then you have no choice but to bleach it again ....I recommend waiting at least a week and doing a good protein treatment and deep condition in between....once your hair is gold or yellow you can proceed to tone it.....I prefer Wella Color Charm toner from Sally's in shade T18 which is called White Lady. This toner has a violet base and will therefore counteract any of the harsh yellows in your hair (keep in mind you will have to purchase separately a bottle of 30 volume developer to mix with this toner 2:1 ratio of developer to toner) If you use this toner you'll end up with a really pretty pale cool shade of blonde. If you don't have a Sally's or BSS near you just go to your nearest drug store, Wal-Mart, Target etc and find the lightest, palest shade of ASH blonde hair dye they carry (I recommend Revlon Colorsilk in Ultra Light Ash Blonde because it has no ammonia and isn't as harsh to fragile bleached hair and is only $3-$4, but L'Oreal Preference also makes a really good one as well as some other brands) this will work almost just as good just make sure you get the lightest shade and make sure it says ash blonde....that's the only shade that will remove yellow/gold pigments.

All in all Born Blonde is a good product particularly for those people that don't have access to a Sally's because it's available at any drug store, Wal-Mart etc (otherwise I would recommend Ion Color Brilliance Creme Lightener from Sally's mixed with 30 or 40 vol developer) but if Born Blonde is what you have you can definitely make it work just remember this product is a bleach so it's designed to lift the dark color out not necessarily to give you your desired blonde shade.....be sure to use a good blonde toner or dye after you bleach with Born Blonde and you'll love your results!!!!!!

***I almost forgot when using Born Blonde or any bleach for the first time do not apply to your roots first apply to the mid lengths of your hair and ends and apply to the roots last...the reason is that your roots are closest to the scalp where there's body heat and heat makes bleach process faster so you'll end up with white/platinum roots and orange/yellow hair....so only apply to roots once the rest of the hair has reached an orange or yellow color to ensure even processing***

Popular Hair Color Products