January 31, 2015 | 1192 users online

Skincare - Neal's Yard - Wild Rose Beauty Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2015 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Foxglove08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge fan of balm cleansers, but this hasn't replaced Eve Lom as my all-time favourite. The scent is more herbal than floral, giving it a slightly medicinal feel, and the texture is very very thick, requiring quite a bit of warming before it becomes oily enough to massage in. As you'd expect from a balm, it's non-drying, leaving skin soft and noticeably plumped; what it doesn't do - for me - is address any issues of redness.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2015 11:13:00 AM More reviews by apgoh2

This popular product from neals yard comes in a few uses; cleanser, moisturiser and leave on mask. I've never used this as a cleanser but tried it as a moisturiser instead. It is packaged in a screw off glass jar and is formulated in a balm texture. You'll need to scrap off a decent amount of the balm upon usage. I warm this with my fingertips before tapping across my face as a night time moisturiser. I find it to be incredibly rich and might only suit very dry skin or those living in winter countries.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by kikulicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I wanted so much to like this! But it made me break out.. Like all Neal's yard things, it had a lovely smell, but very subtle effects.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2014 3:59:00 AM More reviews by Valentina200

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this balm after reading Caroline Hirons blog. I never thought to use oil or a balm to cleanse my face, since it is acne prone, but I was pleasantly surprised. It does a decent job of clearing up any spots I have on my face. The fact it is organic is nice too, but it is also a downside as the product expires within 3 months of opening it. I have had it 4 months and still have a little over half left in the jar. So I do feel it is a little wasteful.

Overall, I like it. I wouldn't say it's absolutely HG, but has definitely opened the door to trying more oils/balms.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by emmab6756

I love this balm but not as a first cleanse, I to not feel it takes all my makeup off as effectively as say the Clinique balm cleanser. As a second cleanse though this is divine. It smells lovely but strong so be warned if you don't like heavy scent, I do so find massaging it into my face heavenly. I had a massive breakout when I started using this but it was basically all the little congested bumps I had coming up for purging. Since then my skin is 80% improved on how it was before I started using it. Expensive and heavy glass jar packaging which feels decadent in the bathroom but less practical for travel...I just decant into a small travel pot.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Deb78

Oh my, this is fabulous! I bought this after receiving a sample from Neals Yard and I've literally lost count of how many times I've repurchased it. If you go to the effort of really massaging it in (which isn't a chore with such a lovely product) you'll be rewarded with a gorgeous glow. I've got very sensitive, combination skin but I've never had any problems or breakouts with this product despite its richness. It feels really nourishing without being too heavy or greasy. Expensive, but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily, spot prone skin. I worried that using this as a cleanser might exacerbate my oil & spot issues, but I generally get on well with NY prods & the ingredients list is impressive. Thankfully, this multi-use product works beautifully with my skin-type. It seems to have reduced breakouts (though oil production is still the same). The extra nourishment has also helped to fade/reduce the few red marks I had left over from a nasty breakout 6mo ago.

It is very expensive at 35 (approx $56 USD) for 50g and jar packaging isn't ideal, but a little goes a very long way (the waxy texture melts to an oil before use, i literally use less than 1/5 of a teaspoon per use and that does my whole face & neck); plus, let's face it, waxy product in a tube or pump would be hard to squeeze out!

I use this as a cleanser and a mask, but I don't bother with the 'night treatment' function as I already use a night serum I'm very happy with (EL Night repair), so I can't comment on that particular function. I'll definitely continue to buy as long as my skin benefits from it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by karlakarla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this as a cleansing balm -- in the mode of Eve Lom or the OCM (the oil cleansing method). Using it this way, it is by far the best cleansing balm that I have ever used. After using it for about a few weeks, even my stubborn clogged pores on my nose (blackheads) started loosening. It is expensive, but it lasts a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by junglegirl004

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I'd tried a sample before buying this full-size. It smells like a French stew! Which is fine so far as food goes, and it's a matter of taste, but I don't like witchy herbal concoctions on my skin. Patchouli and rosemary are the dominant scents here - and there is a LOT of scent. I felt like a walking Christmas tree. If you're sensitive to scent at all, or if you're looking for any kind of subtle or rose scent (which this does not have), then please try a sample first. However if you're happy with overpowering patchouli-rosemary, then good for you - because in terms of texture and efficiency, this is excellent. It has the best effect on skin I've had. It even worked on my hands.

A decent non-smelly alternative is Lush' Ultrabland, which has a similar texture and doesn't smell anything at all. Also comparable is Eve Lom's cleanser, which is like an unsophisticated pot of paraffin and cinnamon compared to both the above (although it smells better.)

Interestingly and unsurprisingly, Neal's Yard website did not publish any portion of this review in their reviews section of the product... Thanks to MUA for allowing us to speak freely.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by marple1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this is the best thing i have ever put on my skin. I have used lots of moisturisers and serums but this is the only product where I have noticed a difference almost immediatly. It makes the skin much plumper and fresher, and seems to tone down redness. I have used it for the last 3 weeks and my skin has definitely improved.