April 18, 2014 | 1961 users online

Toners - Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2005 10:08:00 AM More reviews by carekate

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

You want to know how awesome this ACV toner is? On Friday, I had a nasty zit forming on my cheek. I applied a compress of my homemade Yonka 'Emulsion Pure' to bring it to a head, and was able to extract the pimple on Saturday. That night, I used my homemade aspirin mask, followed w/ the ACV toner, then used the aspirin mask and toner again on Monday morning. The result: not only is the zit gone, but so is the red mark! I mean, you can’t even tell that a couple days ago I had a huge pimple on my face – all the evidence is completely erased.

• helps even out skin tone;

• smoothes out your skin's texture;

• helps minimizes the size and appearance of pores;

• dries up and reduces redness from breakouts almost over night;

• helps regulate oil production;

• impart's to your skin "a radiant glow."

Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar
• Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled or purified is better!)
• Green Tea -- optional
• Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals -- optional
• Ylang Ylang essential oil -- optional
• Lemon essential oil -- optional

What you do:

BTW, here’s the benefits of Lemon oil:

121 out of 123 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2008 7:35:00 AM More reviews by brillopad

I was soooo hesitant to put this on my skin but I'm really glad I did! I have extremely clog-prone, acne-prone, dry skin PLUS red marks galore and after using organic ACV (not Braggs, but I think organic makes a difference b/c I've tried regular ACV and it's not the same for me) for a few months, my skin is definitely much smoother, with very little active acne. As far as red marks go, I can see some fading with ACV....but nothing too drastic. So it fades marks (b/c it is an acid) but doesn't do it overnight.

I first started using diluted, ACV (1 part ACV, 4 parts distilled water) to rinse my face after cleansing both morning and night, because as a hair rinse, it's great for removing residue, so I figured it might be good for removing any residue left over from my cleanser. At this point I would leave the ACV on my skin for a few minutes after rinsing and then wash off completely. I noticed that by doing this, the clogged pores on my forehead started to go away.

So, I got a bit braver and started to use it as a toner (same ratio), leaving it on my skin overnight once every two days. On days I used ACV, I'd wake up in the morning with really nice, refreshed, non-greasy, calm skin. After maybe two weeks of using it as a toner, I noticed that I didn't get much active acne anymore and it helped to clear up a lot of the clogged pores on my cheeks (I did not experience any purging. The clogged pores just kinda went away)

This week I've been using ACV on my skin every night. I had some slight irritation and redness the first few days in a row, but now I think my skin is used to it and it's really great! Before, my skin would be so dry and dehydrated that it would flake, even if I used moisturizer. 10% glycolic gels wouldn't do anything except dry me out even more. And I didn't even like using moisturizers anyway because every single one clogged my pores and made me greasy. However, after using ACV, I don't even think I need to moisturize with anything other than aloe vera gel. Somehow ACV rebalances my skin and I even find it slightly moisturizing, though many people say it can be very drying.

Overall, I think ACV is great for giving you smooth, soft, pimple-free skin. I've tried lots and lots of acne products (all in my notepad!) and ACV is the gentlest, cheapest, and most effective out of all of them. If you want to give this a try, be warned that it definitely stinks! But, after it dries, you don't smell it anymore. Another thing is, I think most people find ACV to be quite harsh because they do not DILUTE it enough. I would start off with very little ACV in the beginning and then work your way up to see how your skin reacts.

It's not for everyone, but it'll definitely be something I cannot live without!

UPDATE 3/14/08: I've been away on a business trip and have not used this for about 2-3 weeks. I was expecting some serious facial nastiness, but you know, my skin is doing just fine without the ACV. Maybe that means I can just use it as a touch up every now and then.....which is always good news! Because, even though you get used to the smell, that doesn't mean people around you enjoy taking whiffs of stinky feet in the morning!

42 out of 45 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 1:11:00 PM More reviews by bholland

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried this product, not for beauty, but for comfort! I live in an area with a lot of mosquitoes and every time I go outside I am eaten alive, which really sucks, because I am an avid gardener. After trying loads of sprays (except Deet - which I won't use), nothing really works well and I end up smelling like eucalyptus oil or whatever product I've sprayed on myself. Anyway, I saw a blog where someone suggested drinking a couple of tablespoons of ACV a day and it keeps the mosquitoes away. Well, I bought Bragg's because it was organic, and started out with three tablespoons in a large glass of water. It's pretty strong, but I like strong tastes. After three days of drinking the ACV, I ventured out into the yard with exposed skin. And VOILA! no bites! It works, I can now go in my yard anytime and not get bitten by the mosquitoes, I see them come around and hover, but they do not bite. I've lowered the dosage to two tablespoons a day and I mix it with V8 juice. I have noticed that the skin on my face is less blotchy - i.e. fewer red spots, and I think it is having an effect on my acne. I usually break out with a couple of pimples just before my period, and this month...nothing. Hmmmm think I'll keep on taking the ACV!

40 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2006 10:58:00 PM More reviews by ruby_tea_roses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This toner is absolutely amazing! I do NOT use Braggs brand - I just use regular Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar from the grocery store. I mix 1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar with 1/2 purified bottled water (1:1 ratio), and my skin absolutely glows! Also just FYI ...... Apple Cider Vinegar DOES NOT need to be refrigerated. As long as you mix the vinegar with ONLY water, it does NOT have to be refrigerated because of the high acidity of the vinegar. The high acid content works as a natural preservative. The only time you would need to refrigerate the mixture is if you add a bunch of other perishable ingredients that might spoil (like tea or various oils and/or extracts). But as long as you use JUST VINEGAR & WATER (preferably pure bottled water), you DO NOT need to refrigerate it! Just sit it in a nice, room temperature place in your bathroom or on your vanity, and it will last for years! I looked up this information online to verify, and it is true. A simple mixture of vinegar and water does NOT need refrigeration. Okay ... now that that is out of the way, I just need to emphasize how much my skin GLOWS from using this! My acne has cleared up, and my oily skin has balanced out. It has also seemed to lighten my skin discolorations and age spots. My skin has really improved tremendously, and I am floored that all it took was a $3.00 bottle of apple cider vinegar. After all the expensive toners I have tried, I can't believe I found my HG in something so simple. 10 lippies! :)

39 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 6:05:00 PM More reviews by KittyBaditty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this for 8 weeks now and I'm so glad I found it! While I use it differently than the other posters on here, it's been great.

I take 2 tsp of this in the morning before breakfast, and 2 TBSP in the evening before dinner. I had it recommended to me by my naturopath because I was tired all the time and all tests were neg. The benefits I've found are:

*My skin tone is more even, no more blotchiness and I haven't had a single breakout in 2 months!! I got 1 pimple a few weeks ago on my forehead, but it was gone within a day or so.

*It has decreased my appetite, so much so that I eat a small breakfast, small lunch, and very light dinner and have the freedom to eat a handful of nuts or cucumber slices without getting depressed over it!

* I have more energy, and am now back to 8 hours sleep then 14 hours awake and busy without feeling sluggish. Before, I could easily sleep 10 hours and still be tired all day.

* The whites of my eyes are whiter, and my hair is shinier.

My dentist says that if you're taking it like I am, not to brush your teeth straight away. He recommended just rinsing my mouth thoroughly with water and having some chewing gum to fix my breath, as brushing could damage the enamel. HTH!

36 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2009 12:34:00 PM More reviews by MsFernandez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

About 2 weeks ago my face looked like pizza... for the last year or so i have been breaking out horribly...worse than even my worst breakouts in highschool (i'm 28.) I've tried pretty much everything.. from drugstore products all the way up to 70$ facewash from my dermatologist and everything in between. I was even taking doxycyclin and using a clindamycin topical to no avail. I started doing a lot of research about acne and learned all about disrupting your acid mantle and the skin's PH level etc etc, I read that apple cider vinegar has pretty much the same PH level as your skin so i figured trying it couldnt hurt. I was averaging 1 to 2 new pimples a day. The first time i used this i woke up in the morning with no new pimples.

The results of applying it directly to my face like a toner lasted about 2 weeks. I was really beginning to believe this was going to be a "miracle cure" for me, but unfortunately it was short lived success. My regular breakouts returned.

Edit 03/31/13: I have since been able to 100% clear my skin with the combination of Spironolactone, Retin A, and have been able to get rid of 95% of my boxcar scarring with dermarolling. I still really enjoy using ACV occasionally.... I put a little bit in a mixture of organic honey, sugar, green tea and the contents of the tea bag... rub it all over my face and let it sit for 20ish minutes and then rinse off. Leaves a beautiful healthy glow. I also put a little bit in my dogs water (I have 2 english bulldogs,) and it helps with the tear stains they get in their wrinkles.

28 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2005 6:49:00 AM More reviews by DDmonkey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a believer!!! I diluted this with filtered water and in two days my two zits were dried up and healed with out red pigmentation!!!! I used 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water. I also have oily skin and only use this once a day when needed. Thanks everyone for the great tips!!!!

Here is carekate's original review for those who can't find it:

*********************************************************
Toners -> Unlisted Brand -> Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

Reviewed by carekate on 6/6/2005 10:08:00 AM

You want to know how awesome this ACV(AppleCiderVinegar) toner is? On Friday, I had a nasty zit forming on my cheek. I applied a compress of my homemade Yonka 'Emulsion Pure' to bring it to a head, and was able to extract the pimple on Saturday. That night, I used my homemade aspirin mask, followed w/ the ACV toner, then used the aspirin mask and toner again on Monday morning. The result: not only is the zit gone, but so is the red mark! I mean, you can’t even tell that a couple days ago I had a huge pimple on my face – all the evidence is completely erased. For those of you who are still skeptical, here are some of the benefits of ACV toner: • helps even out skin tone; • smoothes out your skin's texture; • helps minimizes the size and appearance of pores; • dries up and reduces redness from breakouts almost over night; • helps regulate oil production; • impart's to your skin "a radiant glow." Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner: What you’ll need: • Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled or purified is better!) • Green Tea -- optional • Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals -- optional • Ylang Ylang essential oil -- optional • Lemon essential oil -- optional What you do: • Step 1: Fill bottle 1/3 full with ACV (may increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more vinegar for oilier skin and less for dry skin. If you plan to add green tea and other ingredients to your toner, follow steps 2-4 below, otherwise just add water to fill bottle to brim. • Step 2: Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and Vit-C). • Step 3: Add 25 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether). • Step 4: Measure out one level teaspoon of Vit-C crystals and add to bottle with ACV and green tea. Shake bottle vigorously to dissolve crystals (if they do not dissolve right away, simply put lid on bottle and let sit for an hour to allow Vit-C crystals to solubilize in the solution. Once the Vit-C crystals have completely dissolved, your toner is ready for use. Shake well before using. The above 'recipe' should yield enough toner for a one-month supply. Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer. I'm using simple, "grocery-store" ACV (look in the condiment/salad dressing aisle) which costs less than $1.00USD for 16 ounces, but you can buy more 'exotic' apple cider vinegars from health food stores. Likewise, I bought my green tea at the supermarket (make sure you get one that is 100% green tea with no additional ingredients/flavors added), a box of 20 tea bags for around $3.00USD. Distilled water is available at the supermarket in the bottled water aisle for around 75˘ per gallon. Ylang Ylang essential oil is available at health food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods for about $7.99 for an 1-ounce bottle). Hint: If you're hoping to find essential oils cheaper on Ebay or something, make sure that the Y-Y oil is stored in an amber or dark-blue glass bottle, because essential oils can be degraded by direct sunlight like from a clear glass bottle. I got my Vit-C crystals at Whole Foods for around $9.99USD for a big bottle (enough to yield *dozens* of batches of ACV super toner or homemade Vit-C serum!), but you can also order it online. FYI: You can customize the above recipe to fit your skin’s specific needs simply by adding a couple of drops of the essential oils that are recommended for your skin type. Click on this link (or cut & paste link into address field on your web browser) for a guide to essential oils and their use/benefits in skincare: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= UPDATE: Ooooh, I just added 5 drops of Lemon essential oil to my ACV super toner and it’s just fantastic! The combined aroma of the Ylang Ylang and Lemon oils almost completely cancels out the vinegary smell, so for those bothered by that, try adding a bit of those oils and see if that makes it more tolerable for you. BTW, here’s the benefits of Lemon oil: • LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin ,and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long-term application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.
*************************************************************
She also has a great home made face wash:

28 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 6:56:00 AM More reviews by ZombieDoll

I was sick all yesterday morning, I wanted to die. I had food poisoning from eating bad Chinese Food the night before. I was throwing up and going to the bathroom every 10 min, it was gross. This went on for a few hours and googled like crazy to find something that would relieve my symptoms. I read from multiple sources that apple cider vinegar could help.

I sent the boy out to get some ("GO NOW! HURRY!") and he came back with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. I specifically asked for this because in my online research, it said organic, unfiltered ACV works best (with the "mother"). I was unsure how much to take but then decided to drink a shot worth (1/4 cup) undiluted. I read different opinions on whether or not to dilute it with water but someone said it will work better undiluted and I was feeling so miserable I wanted to make sure it was as effective as possible (at this point I felt like I wanted to die). I was afraid it would make me throw up but it didn't. I felt mildly queasy at first, for the first maybe 5 minutes but I lied down and waited.

My tummy felt very very warm, not in a painful way but like after taking a shot of strong liquor type of warm. It was warm about 10 minutes after taking the shot and I pictured the acv heating up my tummy and killing the bad bacteria lol.

Then 30 minutes later I felt relief. The cramping stopped and my body became extremely relaxed. As a result I felt very very tired, I guess I was exhausted from being sick all morning and when the cramping stopped I realized how tired I was. I went to sleep almost immediately. I slept for a little less than 2 hours and woke up feeling fantastic.

I ate some granola and yogurt and although I felt a little too full after (I think I overdid it because I was hungry...should have started with something lighter) I didn't feel sick at all anymore!

Food poisoning has to be one of the worst things to go through and I'm so glad I discovered apple cider vinegar. In past experiences w/food poisoning it could have easily made me sick the entire day or even a few days...it was gone in 30 minutes, like magic.

27 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by JVicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

On my never ending journey for a natural skin care regime, I stumbled upon ACV on the internet one day. I have heard of using it as a toner, spot treatment, and even drinking it to cure acne from the inside. After having been failed by both the OCM and honey, this was to be my next experiment.

I noticed within a day how fast it dried up my spots! It brings them to a head much faster and kills them within 24 hours (usually). So much so that I can literally knock off a little sebum ball that's just sitting on top of almost unscarred skin (I'm very pale so even a little scarring shows up like neon lights on my face). Even little scars though I find get lightened with a fool proof combination of this and Vitamine E oil.

I also have very sensitive skin but for some reason don't get overly irritated by using ACV full strength as either a toner or spot treatment. Yes, my face becomes red for a little while but it usually disappears once I need to head out of the door.

Needless to say, this is my HG spot treatment! I have used so many over the years - some drug store brands, some fancy pants brands, and some prescription. Prescription ones tended to bleach the shiz out of my pillows and clothing - SCARY! And the others, well, they had "mystery meat" type of ingredients. I know what's in my ACV, plain and simple. And it's the most effective product I've used on spots, EVER. Not to mention the kindest on my wallet.

My favourite part about using this on my skin is that I find sometimes that little underlying bumps, with gentle massaging, unclog themselves and literally jump out of the pores. Magic!

I drink it every morning, and throughout the day (when I remember!). I find it helps to clean out my system and relieve any feelings of grossness from rich or fatty foods. Just don't drink it when you have a hangover. Oi. I don't know if it has any effect on my spots but a month in is sometimes too early to tell.

Great product all around. Although my boyfriend hates the smell of it, I really like it. I like that I can use it on my face and drink it as well. I'm slowly gaining confidence to not wear make up, and this is saying a lot since it's been my crutch for the last 11 years.

Packaging complaint? Not so discreet in the bathroom (the big bottle doesn't fit so well in my medicine cabinet!), which elicits weird looks and comments, but who cares if it's cheap and works! :P

27 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2006 11:03:00 PM More reviews by KristaLynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Lightbulb! Now I get it!! I tried out the LaMer Body Lotion and noted that it smelled just like Acetic Acid. It was a strong odor too. I have never heard of using Acetic Acid as a Dermatological treatment before. But "acid" is "in" now for peels. (When I was young it was a different kind of "acid" that was "in" ut that is another story.)
Since I worked in a lab for years I knew that Vinegar is a dilute Acetic Acid. Cooking vinegar runs around 5 to 10% Acetic Acid.
There you have it, Ladies. Vinegar is one of La Mer's secret ingredients.
I read that some have been mixing the vinegar with other substances such as aspirin. I strongly suggest that you are certain that you know all the properties and potential interactions between two substances before you mix them together so that you do not end up with a violent reaction or toxic fumes. This is a good opportunity to remind everyone that you should never ever let chlorine bleach and ammonia come in contact with each other because of the toxic fumes. Ammonia is in many hair products as well.
Be careful out there!