September 17, 2014 | 756 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup - Ivory

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2006 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ford2M

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HOW TO REMOVE THE COLORSTAY FOUNDATIONS!

APPLY AN OIL-BASED CLEANSER LIKE POND'S COLD CREAM. Tissue this off and then use your regular cleanser to remove all the oily residue, etc. NOXZEMA does NOT WORK!

YOU CAN EASILY MAKE YOUR OWN CHEAP OIL-BASED CLEANSER:

Combine these two ingredients into a DISPENSER-TYPE bottle--so you can easily pour into your hand:

1 Part Castor Oil (Wal-Mart Pharmacy)
4 Parts Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, or Olive Oil (Oils Section of Grocery)

I had planned to buy Safflower Oil, but they didn't have any at Wal-Mart, so I settled for Sunflower Oil.

Shake before you use and just massage this oil onto your face. I found that if I tissue it off before washing my face, it almost all comes off this way.

I bought some baby washcloths at Wal-Mart (4 for 99 cents). They have a rough side and a smooth side. From previous directions on the oil-cleansing method found here on Makeup Alley, of course, you are supposed to hold the hot wet washcloth on your face until it cools, and then massage your makeup off. Splash your face with cold water.

THIS WAY IS EASIER FOR ME:

First remove your makeup with tissue paper and then soak your face with your washcloth and with your regular cleanser as shown above. I just do it for a few seconds and use the washcloth with my Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Cleanser. It removes all the excess oil from the castor oil and sunflower oil concoction applied at first.

If YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE REMOVING YOUR COLORSTAY MAKEUP WITH YOUR NORMAL CLEANSER, try doing my test on the underside of your arm and see for yourself!

HERE'S HOW I REALIZED MY MISTAKE!

After calling REVLON to find out how to remove my Revlon Colorstay Foundation with Bioflex for Oily Skin, the representative told me to use an "oil based cleanser". She would not recommend even one.

One day I decided to see if different cleansers that I had been using were actually removing my makeup! I applied large patches of my foundation mumerous times to the underside of both arms, allowing it to dry and set after each application.

Here are the different things that I tried that did not work UNLESS I SCRUBBED WITH A WET WASHCLOTH OR ABRASIVE PAD:

Baby Shampoo (This has always removed my eye makeup very well).
Baby Oil (Mineral Oil)
Clean & Clear
Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Facial Makeup Remover
Clean & Clear Oxygenating Fizzing Cleanser
Vaseline
Noxzema (this one was the worst!!)
St. Ives Makeup Remover & Facial Cleanser for All Skin Types
Gale Hayman (Beverly Hills) Total Eye Make-Up & Facial Cleanser

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by lucyrox

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am a MAC NW 15, and wear MUFE HD #110, so Revlon's colorstay in Ivory #110 is a perfect match. I bought the normal/dry formula. It has no pink in it and does not change color or get darker through the day. This is a beautiful full-coverage foundation that is a thick formula, but I am still able to apply this with my MAC foundation brush, (which makes me happy, because MUFE HD is too thick to apply with my MAC foundation brush, so I have to use a MAC oval sponge to apply it). The beautiful coverage lasts all day until I remove it at night. I compare this to MUFE HD, and Revlon Colorstay wins! Revlon's is not as drying as the MUFE HD, and has the exact same full, gorgeous coverage. By the end of the day, my MUFE HD has crept into my fine lines around my eyes and makes my face look dry. BUT, this Revlon Colorstay still looks like the application that I put on at the beginning of the day. I'm so happy that I've found an exact duplicate of MUFE HD, and the Revlon foundation is $12.00 USD, compared to MUFE's $40.00. I will buy again. BTW, I wish the Revlon came in the nice pump bottle like the MUFE's; but instead is a regular jar, so I just pour a small amount on the palm of my hand and apply to my face in small sections at one time.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2004 12:28:00 PM More reviews by MyNewHobby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Pros: won't budge, if used lightly - it will give a flawless finish on the face, but is still rather heavy and unnatural.

Cons: can be difficult to remove, wide open bottle, not good as a concealer for dark circles.

CS is a great coverage foundation, but it's so unnatural... even with the brush.

My best tips for using this product... Revlon CS is for someone who wants full coverage and a matte finish. It takes some time to get used to applying, it dries very fast. If you are using your fingers(you tend to use more product this way) and if you mess up the application, you have to start from scratch because it doesn't blend into areas where the foundation has already dried. I have tried this using my fingers and the foundation brush but, at the end of the day either way looks masky and caked.

Once it's set, it will not come off on clothes and no touch ups needed but, it does become heavy on the face. I can cry, to a point, with this stuff and it won't budge.

It can be drying so, I use a moisturizer at night or if you have dry patches, moisturize that area before applying.

I don't care for the wide open top, very easy to use too much (that is why I use the brush now) but, they do give you a generous amount of the product.

If you can get this product to work for you, it IS great coverage. I don't recommend it for dark undereye circes, if you have to apply more than one "coat", it will looked caked on and it's unfixable unless you remove all the undereye makeup first and start from fresh.

Ivory matches my fair skin tone/combo skin perfectly.

ColorStay Natural is much lighter and gives a flawless natural appearance on the face however, I feel it's only light-medium coverage. If you apply more for full coverage, it can look cakey. I use a foundation brush to apply (lightly on my good days) and voila... amazing looking. It also is in pump, which is an added plus.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by cessica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

YouTube has a lot to answer for! I avoided this foundation for so long on the grounds that everyone and their sister on YouTube had deemed it impossible to work with. But that really REALLY isn't the case. I've used every application method I could think of with this foundation from my Real Techniques stippling brush to a good old fashioned damp sponge and it always blends wonderfully.
As far as colour goes, this is the closest to my skin tone and when applied with a stippling brush gives a really lovely (not quite airbrushed but close enough) effect.

The consistency IS thick but all you need to do is use a tiny amount or even add some moisturiser to it and you'll be fine. One of my favourite things about this product is whilst I do find myself needing a little powder later in the day, it doesn't oxidise and turn you into a human clementine which is my number one pet hate with foundations!!

Like everyone else, I wish Revlon would put a pump on the bottle as I've lost count of the numer of times I've knocked it over and lost half the contents on my bedroom floor but that aside, it's good packaging. One of the first drug store foundations I'd come across that was in a glass bottle as opposed to plastic which was a nice touch.

It's far from my HG foundation (I'm still working on that hehe) but it is a good buy. Take it from someone extremely picky, do NOT be put off by the bad reviews. This is one of the best drugstore/high street products out there and is really worth a try. :-)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2008 12:47:00 PM More reviews by shelbyann17

i love love love this foundation. I never really wore any foundation before i found this one because every other foundation made me look orangey or too pale, they never had a great selection of colors. But with the Revlon Colorstay my face feels soft and it takes away that redness and hides blemishes very well. I DEFFINATLEY reccomend :).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by bettyeb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a terrific foundation. I need foundations with a pink undertone, and Colorstay 110 Ivory is perfect for my fair complexion. It is the same shade as Prescriptives Real Camellia, but has a thicker consistency. I apply it with a damp sponge, and have no problem getting even coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by magdvn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using ivory 110 for about two years now. Foundation can be so expensive, therefore I'm hesitant on trying new foundations hence why I've been using Colorstay for so long. It matches my light skin perfectly, evens out my skin tone and that's.. pretty much it. I depend on my concealer and powder to do most the work as far as coverage goes. I don't usually have acne, but when I do get breakouts, this foundation can't be trusted. I'm currently on the hunt for a new foundation so I can say goodbye to Revlon Colorstay once and for all.

Bottom line: if you have clear skin and just need light coverage to even out, this is a wonderful product. If you're prone to acne, don't bother.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by snickersaw943

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

WAY BETTER THAN MAC! Lasts all day, AMAZING FULL COVERAGE, I am extremely acne prone with tons of scarring and with this i dont even need concealer :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2009 3:03:00 PM More reviews by Jetaime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I typically use Lancome Teint Idole Ultra foundation. It's pretty much my HG liquid foundation but I ventured out to try this product after reading good reviews. I have oily, acne prone sensitive skin and many products make me break out, particularly foundations. I typically wear the second lightest shade of a foundation (for Lancome, it's Ivory 2c). However, since my choices were either Ivory or Buff with Colorstay, I went for Ivory in the Oily/Combination Formula.

Let me say, this product is definitely worth trying particularly if you are a budget. I found the application of this foundation to be superior to most DS foundations I have tried. It glided on and blended well. My main gripe is the color selection. Ivory is too light for me and lends a white-ish cast to my skin. I haven't tried Buff but I'd worry that one would be too dark. I typically follow up my foundation with pressed powder, which is darker than Revlon's Ivory shade so that seems to even things out, color-wise.

This foundation does have good staying power. I wouldn't say it stays perfect for 16 hours but I usually don't have to redo my makeup in between classes or work. It provides medium coverage but feels heavy on my skin. Also, I found that my skin appeared more oily than usual by the end of the day. I'd prefer a pump tube--the open bottle puts out more product than I need and thus, product gets wasted.

I always go back to my Lancome foundation but I keep a bottle of this around for when I run out and might be low on $$ at the moment. It actually works wonderfully as an undereye liquid concealer on me! Typically, you want a concealer about a shade lighter than your skin tone so this is the perfect color and has good staying power.

Overall, this wasn't a huge winner for me but while remain a backup in my collection. I'd recommend to anyone looking for a DS foundation with medium coverage and staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by auburn420

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

With reviews on MAU saying that this foundation was not as good as the original, I kept avoiding the new formula. I'm glad I finally got a bottle. It covers my redness without looking cakey or fake, doesn't turn orange on my fair skin, and really lasts. Colorstay foundation is a winner in my book!