November 26, 2014 | 1356 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Permanent Creme Hair Color

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Flahh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using the Extra Light Garnier Nutrisse blonde shades for 4-5 years now, and I'm one happy bunny! I always used to spend a fortune on hairdresser's highlights and they were never right - always a dark patch on my crown.

My natural colour is mid to light brown - I never know how to classify it - but certainly the only shades on the market that will lift it to a real blonde is the Garnier Extra Light range. The normal Garnier shades that are not Extra Light - such as Champagne Blonde - would not make much difference on me. So I guess I must be pretty dark really.

I started off using the Extra Light Beige Blonde (Sugar Cane) and the Extra Light Natural Blonde (Chamomile). I couldn't see any difference between the two, although that was back when I used to only leave it on for 10 mins to go dark blonde. I have become bolder over the years and now leave it on for 45 mins to get a light blonde result. I have not used Extra Light Beige Blonde for a long time as it's become difficult to get hold of. I think if I left this on for 45 mins it would come out really nicely.

So the main product I used was Chamomile, Extra Light Natural Blonde. I have suffered quite a lot of brassy roots by not leaving it on long enough. But on mid to light brown hair, if you leave it on for 45 -50 mins it will come out a lovely light blonde colour. The problem is not losing your nerve! However, if you have brown hair with lots of warm tones like me be aware it might come out quite yellow. It does on me.

I then discovered Extra Light Ash Blonde, White Chocolate shade 111. On the box the model's hair is white-blonde, and quite a few shades lighter than that shown on the Extra Light Natural Blonde Chamomile shade.So I was surprised to learn that the platinum White Chocolate does not actually lift my roots as much as the more yellow Chamomile Extra Light Natural Blonde! When I used Extra Light Ash Blonde White Chocolate I was left with roots a shade darker than normal. But it did turn the blonder parts of my hair a lovely light pearly blonde. I mean, there wasn't too much variation - I just would have liked the roots to be lighter. The fact that they're darker also means I'd have to do it more often. Another reviewer on here who had used Garnier Nutrisse Extra Light Pearl Blonde - which is very white like Extra Light Ash Blonde - also said it did not lift her roots as much. This is puzzling when it's such a blonde product!

Then I discovered Garnier 100 per cent color in Extreme Ash Blonde XL4 and Extreme Beige Blonde XL2 (or 3, I can't remember). I have ordered them from Amazon, so I'll see what they're like. I have also found the discontinued Garnier Extra Light Pearl Blonde in a discount store so again I'll see what it's like. I have a feeling I might go back to Extra Light Beige Blonde again though.

My main gripe is that all these extra light shades of Garnier seem very difficult to get hold of in the shops, except Extra Light Natural Blonde. No CVS in Boston stocks Sugar Cane, White Chocolate, 100 per cent Color Extreme Ash Blonde or 100 per cent Color Extreme Beige Blonde. You can order them from Amazon though, and you can also order Garnier Nutrisse shades direct from them (but not Garnier 100 per cent Color for some reason).

For people with quite dark hair who are wanting to go blonde, these Garnier Extra Light shades are the only ones I've found that actually do the job. Many of the others say 'Extra Light Ash Blonde' and it turns out that the darkest colour swatch on the box is dark blonde -` you can't use it if you're darker than that!

When I was light brown I tried Clairol Nice and Easy a couple of times - never again. My hair went a totally flat, matte colour - absolutely awful. Also my cousin wanted to give her blond hair a lift, so she used Nice and Easy in a light blond shade and it made no difference whatsoever! That brand is crap.

I would always stick with Garnier Nutrisse. Consistently the best.

Conclusion: Garnier Nutrisse Extra Light range turns my hair a beautiful natural-looking very light blonde for a few pennies. I totally love it and don't know what I'd do if it was ever taken off the market, because I hate having brown hair and I'm not giving any hairdresser $$$$ every month!

I LOVE BLONDE HAIR!!!!

Update 20th October: just coloured my latest roots with Sugar Cane - and my hair's gone a lovely creamy beige blonde. Very happy with it.

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2009 12:59:00 AM More reviews by sephora0205

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

color used: milk chocolate (medium ash brown)
i just colored my hair and can't stop touching it - it is softer and shinier than before i colored! i have been coloring my hair for over 10 years and i always come back to nutrisse. i have used other brown shades (chocolate caramel, which i love, and cappuccino))and have gotten great results. i wanted to go lighter this time and the resulting color on my very dark brown hair is darker than the box (as expected) but is beautiful brown with very little red. love the non-drip formula;only boxed color with low spill problem. will be repurchasing for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

You know what makes a good hair color? When you can't stop touching your hair and spying on it in the mirror! Wow, just amazing! I pretty much change my hair color every other month since I was in junior high. I've been every color minus blue, green and yellow. I experimented with tons of brands from highend salon visits, to ds Clairol, Revlon & L'Oreal and I also experienced with different Sally Beauty Supply brands. For some reason, I don't remember ever trying Garnier. I bought the shade Medium Natural Brown #50 which is actually my real hair color that I only get to see peaking out at the roots from time to time. I've tried dying back to my natual color but every time, the medium brown shades will turn dark brown black and giving me matte dry hair. This time, I was dying over a creation I made up myself of a light brown red but threw a light ash brown over it and it turned more red! It did lighten my hair about 3 to 4 shades from my natural tone. For long thick hair, I rec you buy 2 boxes of Garnier for full coverage. Because my hair is so thick, I left the color on for 30 minutes total. The actual process was very mess free! The creme formula starts off white and pretty much stays white until you are finished dispensing the color on and the creme locks onto the hair creating no drips. After rinsing, shampoo and applying the Garnier after color care condtioner, I blew dry my hair with a large paddle brush. The end result was hydrated rich medium brown hair that was so shiny and healthy looking. My hair looked 10x better after I dyed it! I'm very happy with the results and I think I may just stick to this color for a while. Plus, Garnier hair color is super cheap! A box cost me $6.29 @ Target.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

WOW!! I never knew coloring my hair would make it so soft and shinny. I've been using Revlon brand hair color in the past and it always make my hair straw like and dull after a few wash. I thought maybe thats what happens when you color your hair...you kill it.

This has definitely change my mind about coloring my hair. This hair dye smells great, no drip and so easy to rinse out. My favorite so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2010 7:19:00 AM More reviews by LinaJo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Great stuff! First used this 3 years ago. I love the dark brunette shade (Dark Brown; but I can't remember the number though). It really goes on good and stays for a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by sumreyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been dyeing my hair for a long time now and after reading reviews decided to try this.(I usually get mine from Sally's) I used chocolate cherry at first it turned out a nice color but not as red as on the box it was more of a brown to me it looked nothing like the box but it was a pretty color, after a week it is starting to fade alot and now does'nt look to great I am going to have to recolor :( I don't think I will try this brand again I will probably stick with loreal or Ion. It's to bad I really liked the color on the box!