Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

AQUA / WATER CYCLOPENTASILOXANE GLYCERIN ISODODECANE ALCOHOL POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE HEXYL LAURATE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE PHENOXYETHANOL ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE TRISTEARIN CELLULOSE GUM NYLON-12 LIMONENE BENZYL SALICYLATE LINALOOL DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER PARFUM / FRAGRANCE DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE METHYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

on 4/14/2015 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ordered online from Sephora and selected Luminous Silk Foundation as one of my samples. Sample of fdtn offered in one shade - 5.5. Too dark for my skin tone, but the fdtn itself did not work well for my skin.

The only "silk" like feature about this fdtn is the feel of it when first applied. After thirty minutes wearing this, my face felt uncomfortably taut and dry. Couldn't wait to wash it off my face.

Finish looked blotchy and cakey due to it oxidizing on my skin and clinging to dry patches.

D/S L'oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup is still the forerunner in my fdtn stash.

on 4/5/2015 3:18:00 PM

The finish of this foundation is beautiful. Not dewy just glowing. The coverage is light but it glides on like silk and needs almost no blending. When set with loose powder, it lasts all day even with my slightly oily skin. I do use a primer underneath though (Smashbox). It was worth the high price tag but I'm taking two lippies off because it's really pricey.

on 3/16/2015 4:10:00 PM

Hmm, got a sample at sephora and am thinking of splurging on this foundation. The finish is very natural - slightly luminous but not shiny. The colour seems quite nice - I tried 5.5 colour, I'm a light/medium skin tone Asian with black hair, brown eyes, and fairly neutral skin tone.

Just the price is quite hefty at $65. Not sure if it is worth the price, I don't usually spend so much on cosmetics. I did buy the l'oreal true match Lumi as an alternate in the meantime after seeing the 2 products test comparisons on you tube. The second choice only costed $22 at shoppers drug mart (reg price). I like the finish on this product as well.

on 12/21/2014 5:42:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Luckily for my wallet I was unimpressed with this foundation. #4 was a decent, but not perfect color match for me (NW20) but the main problem for me was how this foundation brought out the worse in my skin- it looked so heavy on - cakey/masky and accentuated bumpy texture and pores which normally are kept under control with my current hg foundation NARS Sheer Glow in Mont Blanc.

on 12/14/2014 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I'm a big believer in spending the extra money on base products (concealer, foundation, powder) and yes, Giorgio Armani is big bucks. ($60 CAD)
The major complaint is the colouring system and finding an appropriate match. I agree that GA's colouring system needs improving as it's rather scattered and not straightforward or logical. I took one lipstick off because of this.
I'm NC30/C3 (Asian) and 5.75 is the right match for me. YMMV on the colour selection though.

The formula is very silky and it does meld into my skin to give me that 'my skin but better' look. I hate heavy bases or looking like I'm wearing foundation and I love the natural, polished look it gives me. If I want more coverage, I can layer it but if you're needing full coverage, the Luminous Silk won't fit that bill.

I think this foundation is best suited for normal to slightly combo skin types that aren't too dry or too oily. For normal to slightly oily skin types, this foundation maybe a bit emollient and requiring extra touch ups.
I prefer to use this foundation during the winter when my skin is on the normal to slightly dry side. It lasts for most of the day on me with just a touch up required at mid day and I always get compliments when I wear this foundation.

I like the pump bottle too. There is alcohol in the list of ingredients but I don't notice any scent and my skin is okay with this formula.

I recommend this foundation if you like a natural finish, don't mind the hefty price tag and can find a colour match.

on 12/14/2014 1:53:00 PM

I received this at Sephora after having the color matching done. Took home a very plentiful sample and it is fabulous. I am 45 and have combination skin as well as aging concerns. This is fabulous, color match is spot on (if you are having issues, get the color match done at Sephora) it lasts all day and does not make my t-zone shiny and at the same time does not accentuate any fine lines. Will purchase full size once i run out of test product I was given to take home and use. (I rated the packaging as 3 since I could not leave a review without it, but I honestly do not know)

on 10/4/2014 1:22:00 PM

Ok all the reviews I read - I thought I would take a chance. Color selection very confusing but I bought it because it said good for dry skin - not for me!! Accentuated all my dry areas on my nose - dryness you could not see before but sure could after - good thing I bought from Nordstrom free shipping/returns.

on 8/25/2014 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have just repurchased my second bottle! I haven't opened yet, I'm scrapping out my first bottle with a long wooden spatula, that's how much I love this foundation. No SPF. I don't want SPF in my foundation, I use a separate SPF. It last beautifully all day and photographs lovely. Comfortable, just the right amount of hydration for my combo, skin. When I want to sheer it out, I use a damp beauty blender and bounce it off my skin. With a foundation brush, I get flawless fuller coverage. With my fingers, it blends out seemlessly. Every tool I use works perfectly and gives a differet type of coverage.

on 8/12/2014 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Golden rule to remember when purchasing a department brand foundation: obtain a SAMPLE in different colors before making any commitment with your purse. Let it be known that I don't trust the lovely reps behind the counters analyzing my color and texture. I received three color samples of this foundation to last me five days in each color. I wear sunscreen and allow it to absorb into the skin before applying makeup. The active ingredient ( i.e. titanium dioxide) in some sunscreens can alter the color of your foundation.

I am neither oily or dry, you can say that I have combination skin. I'm exposed to humidity when outdoors and cool, dry air conditioned air when indoors. This formula is sheer and disappeared within a couple of hours. Perhaps the price justification to this foundation is based on its formula to magically disappear within the allocated time frame of two hours. It left behind a shine as a farewell parting gift. All three samples (recommended by the reps) did not match my skin color. One color sample managed to make me look like I was playing with mud. Fellow purchasers with dryer skin looking for sheer coverage may benefit with Luminous Silk foundation, if they don't mind the short effects under humid conditions. I did purchase the Armani foundation brush. This brush blends very well with sheer formulas but I do not recommend it with thicker formulas, unless you enjoy contending with the never disappearing streaks. Hope this review helps.

on 7/22/2014 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Ok I wasn't impressed by it, first the color 030 is very peachy yellow, so wrong color for me, secondly, it disappears fast on the skin, and it is a bit flat, for a luminous foundation, there is little luminosity..it feels like an invisible foundation ...so for me, no, I have found better..for those who like a foundation that isn't there , it will work, past the high price...I don't like the texture.

Video Reviews & Tutorials