Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by age: 44-55

3.7

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, ISODODECANE, ALCOHOL, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ACETYLATED GLYCOL, STEARATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, TRISTEARIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NYLON-1,2 LIMONENE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

When a male friend notices & remarks on how great your skin looks you know you have found THE foundation. The one. Great coverage without feeling or looking false. This hides my rosacea without upsetting my sensitive skin with 2 pumps. Worth. Every. Penny.

PROS: I like the very subtle glow it gives. Has enough yellow-based shades, at least in the lighter shades. Great in my pores. Pretty good in my wrinkles.

CONS: The price. This sits on top of the skin and looks obvious, even with trying to apply lightly and matching my skin well. And even applying lightly, I can't get a more natural look when I want that. I can't even imagine trying to find a match without testers. The shades jump from lighter to darker to lighter as you go up the numbers of shades. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I had to blend two colors to find my match, which I don't mind too much, but it took me forever to find them from the testers.

ALTERNATES: I used to always go back to my L'oreal Visible Lift Serum foundation, but....I've recently found something that is the best thing for my wrinkles I've EVER tried, Make Up For Ever - Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation.

I purchased this via the web and had to guess on a shade (did not find the product in stores in Omaha Ne), the pump doesn't work and the shade might be a bit off but I still am not impressed with the product. Crazily I do like the Bobby Brown that I've read poor reviews for (has an SPF of 45 I believe) much better coverage.

Ok, ok, ok...so I finally had to break down and realize that this is HG status for me:\ It is just sooo expensive that I was trying with no avail to find a cheaper alternative. When I tell you that EVERY time I wear this I get sooo many compliments and when I wear anything else from, Tarte Amazonian Clay, CD AirFlash, MAC Mineralize to Clinique Even Better...just to name a few;)) almost no compliments. I do everything else the same but change the foundation. It is really amazing to me, but it always happens. The finish is like no other and it goes on flawlessly. When I scratch my face there is no residue in my nails (yuck, when that happens!!)

But, the clincher for me was the other day when I was wearing Clinique Even Better and was outside for a long time in AZ summer heat and you could visibly see the streaks from my sweat (nice visual, I know) sooo gross...I usually try not to wear foundation when I know I am going to be sweating like that so this was a new discovery. Well at this point I had to do a comparison with my GA, and, of course, no streaks, just perfection after running around sweating like no other...that was it--deal cinched!!!

Suddenly, all the foundation out there seem slightly off. I was a Prescriptives person for a long time, then make-up forever and stila, but if its not a too yellow or pink cast, too shiny or matte, something else wasn't working. So, I decided if its something I am wearing everyday, I DO NOT want to dislike anything about it. This foundation is ALMOST that. It has fragrance, which I don't like, but it thankfully goes away after a minute or so. The color (#2) is perfect for me, and that is amazing in itself. The texture is luxurious, which I also appreciate. It looks good after several hours. When i first put it on, it tends to sink into my nose crease, and I have to remove the excess with a q-tip. I don't use much, and maybe its my moisturizer, but that has to be taken care of. I don't wear a primer, but I am considering trying one. I just don't love the idea of layer upon layer of anything on my face. At any rate, so far, this foundation is MUCH better than what I have been using, and so I am happy. Its crazy expensive, making it no "HG." BUT I am still pleased with it for now. When I bought it I saw the YSL Blur perfector - that balm-into powder primerish substance. I tried it on my cheek - oooo - nice. I LOVED the packaging and the idea and the feel of it so I may get one to try and see if it does anything for my foundation sinking into nose crease issue... :) Gosh its fun getting older ;)

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

On the good side, the #4 was a good color match to my LLL/MMM yellow undertone skin. It applies very nicely with my F80 kabuki and is of a thin consistency which I prefer.
But I won't be purchasing it again for a few reasons:
For such a high end product I noted it has Parabens in it.
The coverage was less than I require, but can be layered.
It was a splurge for me, but I found it is not one bit better than my L'Oreal True Match Liquid Founation in W3; except that is has a pump.

I am not sure we can ever justify the price for something this size unless it's liquid gold and I do tend to resent it. That said, this is a beautiful foundation. I originally bought the long lasting version and they gave me the sample form of this foundation as well. It took me a while to try it but when I did I put it on before going out in hot weather for several hours and I noticed no difference in longevity between the two. It has a respectable longevity. It lasts me the day with primer and a light dusting of setting powder.
What I did find however that the mild chalkiness that I noticed in the long lasting version was not present in this. The long last version is inferior in my opinion. This foundation really does offer a subtle glow and a burring of flaws without heaviness. It's also offers pretty good coverage. I have a decent, clear wrinkle free skin for my age but I do still usually prefer medium coverage and I found this to offer plenty. It's at least buildable. The price is extortionate but you actually dont need to use that much and it really does deliver. I am a pale redhead and it has some shades suitable for the gingers among us. Shade 4 is a great match for me.

I purchased this foundation in #8, seemed to be a good match for my olive undertones. My complaints are it did not even last a full day at the office and the coverage is light, I would not even call this medium coverage. Going back to my LM foundation I've worn for years.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ordered online from Sephora and selected Luminous Silk Foundation as one of my samples. Sample of fdtn offered in one shade - 5.5. Too dark for my skin tone, but the fdtn itself did not work well for my skin.

The only "silk" like feature about this fdtn is the feel of it when first applied. After thirty minutes wearing this, my face felt uncomfortably taut and dry. Couldn't wait to wash it off my face.

Finish looked blotchy and cakey due to it oxidizing on my skin and clinging to dry patches.

D/S L'oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup is still the forerunner in my fdtn stash.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The finish of this foundation is beautiful. Not dewy just glowing. The coverage is light to medium but it glides on like silk. I used to use a foundation brush (It Cosmetics Angled foundation brush) but have discovered that the Real Techniques sponge works much better and gives me a nice smooth flawless finish. I use two shades of this foundation: 4.75 in the winter and 5.0 in the summer. 4.75 is just the tiniest bit rosy, whereas 5.0 is neutral. My skin tone is actually light and neutral but both shades works well for me. I only need two pumps of this makeup to get medium coverage. I do use an excellent primer (Lorac Porefection) which helps, and I have a few red patches and this foundation covers them perfectly. This foundation has more of a satin finish, which I like. I'm at an age where matte finishes are no longer flattering and tend to age me considerably. This makeup gives me a truly luminous look and doesn't look like a mask or seem heavy in any way. I use the RT sponge wet but wring it out until it's nearly dry. This gives me the nicest finish and coverage and the sponge doesn't just absorb the foundation, like other latex sponges I used in the past. After applying this foundation and then some gel blush, I then set everything with loose powder. I use a mixture of Urban Decay Naked Loose Powder in light and Bare Minerals Original Mineral Foundation in fairly light and this helps my makeup last all day. My skin is somewhat oily so I also use Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray on top. With this routine, my makeup looks freshly applied for many hours and if there's some oil breakthrough in my T zone, I just use a blotting paper or two and I'm good for many more hours. I like this foundation better than the two I was using before (Dior Star and Forever Flawless) and I try to conserve it the best I can. If I'm only running errands, I'll use one of the Dior foundations but for work and for any special occasion, I always use GA. This is by far the best foundation I've ever used. It covers beautifully and blends like a dream. Sometimes, the high price tag is worth it and in this case it definitely is. I highly recommend this foundation. It would work for any skin type imo.