Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup

3.7

Water, Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Nylon-12, Silica, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cholesterol, Glycerin, Zinc Stearate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Caffeine, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Lecithin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Laureth-7, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethyl Citrate, Hydroxyapatite, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Alcohol, Dipropylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Nylon-6, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me just start out with a disclaimer that all the shades DID NOT match to me. I'm very pale; like really pale. I'm in shade 02 Alabaster, this one fit my undertone better (I typically prefer the porcelain look). I have the Manic Panic Dream Tone Foundation and I mix a few pumps with that with the Clinique and the shade is perfect.
My skin is relatively oily, but being a college student in Wisconsin, the winter has dried my face out. I found that with a good moisturizer, this foundation looks flawless. I barely have to touch up throughout the day, which is helpful since I'm usually in class. Most foundations barely stay on for more than 2 hours before being oily.
Also, the coverage is buildable, which is a plus.
The pricing is nice too, especially with the amount you get.
Overall: long-wearing, not cakey, affordable.

One of the few foundations I've bought over and over again. I always seem to come back to this one despite my love for trying new foundations.

This keeps me the most matte of any. Not a dull matte though like a healthy soft matte. I don't know what it is but sitting at a desk 8 hours a day in artificial lighting melts my foundation off quick. This stuff stays put though and keeps my oils minimized. I might have to touch up with powder once but even if I don't I still don't look like an oil slick.

You get a good medium to full coverage with this thick foundation depending on how much you use. It blends and sets in just the right amount of time. It also is amazing at minimizing my larger pores on my nose and cheeks. I hardly notice my pores when wearing this foundation. Something I can be super picky about. Lasts a good 8-10 hours (longest I've really worn it) on me and always looks natural. Never looks cakey even if I apply more or powder throughout the day.

I am very fair and neutral and wear the shade Alabaster, which is a hint too dark. Nothing totally obvious but I am neurotic when it comes to foundation matching just right. Obviously it hasn't deterred me away from using this foundation and I really don't know why I don't stop trying other ones.

I'm 35 and a lady told me today I look way younger than my age. I have to thank this foundation. It gives me a nice fresh natural look.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Background of my face:
My shade in MAC is NC42. My face gets a bit oily in the T-zone in the winter, but very oily in the summer. I don't have active blemishes, but I have a few scars on my cheeks. I have blackheads on my nose, and visible pores close to my nose/cheek area. My current face routine, which is suuuper simple, consists of only cleansing with the Garnier Pure Active Fruit Energy Gel Scrub, moisturizing, applying a sun screen (Garnier Amber Solaire Protection Lotion SPF 50), and applying Tea Tree Oil to blemishes i THINK will cause disaster on my face.
______________________________________

I got to say I LOVE this foundation to death!!! The shade I have is 19 Sand (M-N). I do think its a bit to pink/light for me, but its not a problem when I remember to blend it down my neck.

PROS:
- Keeps my face matte, allthough I do bloth maximum two-three times when I have it on
- Is matte, but not cakey!
- Glides on like butter haha. It has a nice consistency :)
- Feels like I don't have anything on my face when I have it on
- Broad range of shades!
- Does not break me out at all
- Doubles up as a concealer for the random dark spots I have on my face. It covers them really good.
- The squeezy plastic tube makes it mess-free and easy to just throw it in my makeup bag (yeah, I shouldn't be throwing things.. but you know.. Mornings get a bit stressful sometimes)
- I only need a 'squeez' of the foundation to get a light coverage on my face.

CONS:
- Can accentuate dry spots when I apply to much of the foundation, and when I don't moisturize well enough on my dry areas
- Not a problem to be honest, but I don't have the perfect shade of the foundation for my skintone YET.. I still love the foundation thought and I will try my best to find the perfect shade.
- The foundation is on the expensive side, so I always cry a bit when I buy it :')

OVERALL
I love this foundation. If you have skin like me, and the same skintone... U will love it for sure!! I am going to update this review when I find the right shade for my skintone, but right now I am using, as written earlier, 19 Sand (M-N).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Worst foundation ever... I was never too convinced in the first place that I wanted to buy this foundation, but my mum insisted on buying so I bought it. The lady who helped me picked it out too orange for me, and when I tried it on it felt really grainy and it didn't look smooth. I've tried many ways to try to make it look good but it's just not for me. It's upsetting because it's quite expensive in my opinion when drugstore foundations can do a better job at a cheaper price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Let me start off by saying, I will never buy another foundation ever again! Literally, this foundation is my life. I thought I'd give it a go, since all of my other foundations just weren't cutting it. I have very oily/acne prone skin due to hormones. It does an amazing job at keeping my skin matte, holds up longer than any other foundation from high end to drugstore. The coverage is pretty sheer and natural, but you could build it up. (I go for a more subtle look personally). Even though the coverage looks pretty natural, it covers up acne fairly well, instead of making it look worse and bumpy. Recently my skin has been clearing up and this doesn't irritate it. Since I've started using it, I've gotten many compliments on how flawless my skin looks. I apply with a flat kabuki brush, because the outcome is flawless 😍Definitely worth the money and it's not too out of pocket. This is my first review, and I just had to share it! Hope you guys love it as well, don't know why it's so under-rated on here. What a damn shame!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the best foundation for acne prone skin (without exaggeration)! I have very oily, acne prone skin... I break out from pretty much everything that touches my face. But this foundation is the only one that doesn't break me out, nor does it make me oilier than I already am. If you have acne prone skin give it a chance, you wont regret it!!!! :)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

To start, I've got acne prone skin with discoloration. And I have fairly normal skin that gets oily throughout the day.

This foundation, in my opinion, does a great job at keeping me matte enough so that I don't feel the need to blot my face throughout the day. The best part is that it offers enough coverage without looking cakey (I'm looking at you KVD Lock-it). But if you've got acne scars like me, you'll need to go in with concealer. As a setting powder addict, I'm not sure how this foundation lasts by itself.

What also impresses me is that, at the end of the day, my skin doesn't look half bad. My spots are still covered, nothing looks patchy, and my skin looks smooth.

Of all my matte foundations, I'd pick this over the Tarte Amazonian foundation, KVD Lock-it, MAC Pro Longwear, etc.

The only downside I can think of is that Clinique isn't cruelty-free :(

I was semi-devastated to learn that my previous Clinique foundation had been discontinued. I live in the deep south. You can use primer and painstakingly apply foundation and walk outside and the humidity just turns it into an unsightly mess. The previous foundation held up amazingly well to the humidity. A salesperson suggested Stay Matte. It's a very good foundation. Not great, but very good. It is medium coverage, so it's buildable without looking cakey. It hides redness and minor blemishes. You will need a concealer for more obvious blemishes and under eye circles. This foundation holds up pretty well to humidity and over the course of the day. Note: I apply the shade Alabaster with a Beauty Blender and always set it with powder. This would probably be a poor choice for dry skin. It's not hydrating, but it does keep you matte and provide decent coverage.

I love this foundation. I have been searching for a good perfume for my skin tone. I always have a problem with make up looks great at first but when I do my daily activities/ go to work it starts to slide off. I went to a department store where they sell Clinique. I spoke to the make up artist I explained what I was looking for and she recommended this product and tested It out on me. It's the correct shade for me I didn't realise I had been using the wrong shade all along. I am definitely happy with my purchase. It is on the expensive side the foundation is $50AUD but I figured instead of spending $15 and $20 etc each time on a foundation product that I don't like or am not happy with. I should just spend a bit more on a product I like and knows works.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For the past 6 years (at least) I've been using mineral loose foundation because I have sensitive skin prone to breakouts. I decided to try a liquid foundation because I knew they looked nicer on the skin. So, I decided that this Clinique oil-free stay matte product would be take my "liquid foundation virginity" away. I decided Clinique because I always hear things about how they are a great brand for sensitive skin. I also bought their primer to avoid direct contact with the foundation and my skin (since my skin is sensitive).

Anyways, I used this product and was very disappointed. Don't get me wrong - it looked absolutely beautiful on the skin. The colour was perfect and gave me a nice glow.
The problem was the fact that I broke out immediately! Literally the next day, I looked in the mirror and I had a bunch of new tiny pimples. I thought it was all in my head so I continued to use the product on day 2. By the end of day two AND beginning of day 3, I had about 15 new pimples. They even came on my face in spot I never get pimples. And they hurt like a b****!

I quickly put the product away, never to use it again. But then, about 10 months later I gave the product another shot (the product as about a 2 year expiry date). Same results, pimples everywhere - small and large.

Final verdict:

Pros: looks great on the skin
Cons: caused a minimum of 15 new pimples of all sizes in all parts of the face, including places I've never had pimples before!