October 25, 2014 | 1302 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2011 3:44:00 AM More reviews by riiovh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Revlon Colorstay Liquid foundation especially seeing as I am a male in my 20's as my drag momma taught me the old addage. "Cover Girl does not Cover Boy." I have been wearing it in shades ranging from 320-350 depending on the season and if I am tanning or not. I love the matte finish and the fact that the coverage is full. No concelear or powder is really necasarry all though I do like to use a light dusting of the Colorstay's Pressed powder. It does take some getting used to to blend and apply at first but if your patient and stick with it. You will be fine as well as you will become so skilled at blending no foundation will ever be a problem for you again. I recently came across the new bottles in Walmart and will post a picture. I am assuming in reaction to Maybellin Superstay 24HR, that Revlon either reformulated or just repackaged their product. It last almost the full 16 hrs I can atest to that seeing as I do the whole contour highlight powder liquid dealio. Sometimes I am lazy and don't care to spend an hr or so getting ready the next morning and just make sure to not sleep on my face and wake up and go about my day looking fine. I find that Olive oil before any basic cleanser helps to break up and remove all traces as this foundation tends to never dissapate. I do use it for drag occasionally and not one queen I know has been able to tell the diff. Hope I helped.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2010 1:31:00 AM More reviews by umie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Reading the previous comments I am seriously wondering if I bought the same product!The horrible smell????The heavy coverage???The obvious make-up wearing???What are you all talking about??? I believe it's all about your application technique. You can get a very light to a moderately heavy coverage. I have all the MAC, MUFE, some Estee L, Cinique foundations (powder, liquid). This product is one of the best hands down for a cheaper price. My face doesn't get easily "blurry" anymore because of excessive oil. I do not have to touch up my foundation during the day...some oil blotting and this because I am used to doing it and NOT because I NEED it! Zero break out, I actually break out less!:) Let's not forget that we are all unique. So nothing is supposed to work for everybody. On me, this foundation worked great now who know how your skin is going to be reacting to this?:)

More info:
    I wear/have tried/worn:
    MAC Studio Tech NC50 (tad muddy greyish on me)+MAC Studio Fix 43 (tad reddish/ashy on me),
    MAC Pro Longwear NC50 and NC45 (too pinkish, muddy),
    Nars Sheer Glow in Macao (almost perfect),
    Estee Lauder Double Wear Liquid Foundation in Rich Ginger and Truffle mixed together (tad ashy),
    MUFE in 175 (HD) too ashy,
    MUFE Face and Body Liquid Foundation in 44 and 18 mixed together (ashy),
    Smashbox in Dark 1 (just ok),
    MAC skinfinish mineralzed in Dark,
    Revlon Colorstay for Combo Oily Skin in 2/3 Caramel and 1/3 Cappucino (best texture/hold of all foundations),
    I also tried Clinique, Chanel and Iman but I can't remember my colors but it was just ok.
    Black Opal in Nutmeg (nice color match but mad transfer).
    Cover Girl Queen Collection Foundation compact in 515 Almond Glow and Liquid in 715 Almond Glow: this is my perfect exact incredible match. It is as if it was custom made. It has the right dose/amount of yellow I can't find in any other high brand. It looks as if I have nothing on.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2013 7:45:00 AM More reviews by susanoz

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

The only way change happens is if enough people voice a demand for it. For those of you lamenting the 16-hour formula compared to the new 24-hour formula, please write Revlon and make a plea for a reversal to the 16-hour formula (or a newly renamed facsimile). Here is the website contact form: http://www.revlon.com/Revlon-Home/Revlon-General/Contact.aspx. If enough of us collectively bombard Revlon with the same complaints, perhaps it will be sooner for another formula change-for-the better, rather than upon their discovery of depleted sales, since most devoted longstanding die-hard Colorstay users agree that this 24-hour formula doesn't even resemble the16-hour formula comparatively that received raved reviews for its superior features of long-lasting, great/buildable coverage, transfer resistant, lightweight/didn't-feel-like-you're even wearing makeup, matte finish. Now it comes off on everything (cell phone, clothes, hands, tissues/blotting papers and more), terrible non-buildable coverage that doesn't cover and depletes throughout the day (sheer to medium at best), itchy, greasy-to-the touch/sticky feel, slides on skin, causing breakouts, doesn't last for even 8 hours, accentuates pores/settles in lines, and devoid of a true matte finish even after powder. They have changed the formula several times before. Join in and let your voice be made known and perhaps we all may see another/hopefully favorable change soon.
    UPDATE: I DON'T HAVE TO SWITCH -- After hunting for a ColorStay Combination/Oily Skin in Sand Beige clone (a true light beige, neutral that I didn't realize was so difficult to find) and only finding pink, yellow, orange based tones in MAC Pro Longwear, coupled with EL Doublewear formula change (darn!). To rectify the CS 24 Hrs formula:change of no longer being TRANSFER RESISTANT use a fixing/setting sprays as a mixing medium with a damp sponge application OR a finishing spray on completed makeup, avoiding eyes. Use either/or but not both. Use S P A R I N G L Y ! ! ! Otherwise, it will go through your makeup, and if you have drier aging skin, it will intensify crepiness/cracks like shellac. My fav pics are Kryolan Fixing Spray, Kryolan Ultra Setting Spray (less alcohol denat than the original)--both contain small enough amounts that evaporate quickly--or Ben Nye Final Seal and Mehron Barrier Spray. Applied properly with a light hand it will render the CS 24 Hrs smudgeproof, rub/transfer resistant, moisture resistant and longwearing once again. As far as building the coverage, I've been tweaking to almost what used to be, as the formula in CS 24 Hrs reformulation is thicker, greasier and lacking that hardly-wearing-makeup feel of the former CS 16 Hrs formula. I've read in theory on many sites that correct priming would alleviate the need for fixatives or setting products, but after trying so many, none I tried solved the transference problem that I detest the most (clothes, cell phone, etc.). My experimentation yielded relatively successful results after wearing many hours with no transference. Didn't realizing how much I missed my coveted color choice and former 16 Hrs formula that IMO had many coveted features. Give it a try. Hope this helps those like myself that didn't want to switch.

UPDATE 2: The above update/fix worked, but it was laborious in getting just the right build, due to the CS 24 Hrs reformulation. Spent the weekend hitting all the dept store counters trying to find a beloved clone to no avail. Would have been possible if ES Double Wear hadn't reformulated there formula too. Spotted a review on another site comparing Boots No 7 Beautifully Matte to ES DW and headed to Target to check it out--wth I'd tried just about everthing else. OMG! I'm actually in shock and disbelief in a good way. Although there are only 6 color choices at only $14, I bought Cool Vanilla (pale neutral w/ yellow undertones) and Cool Ivory (pale neutral w/ pink undertones) and tried at home due to store lighting, having no anticipations either way. I tried each color inside and outdoors and to my absolute amazement each will work, although I'm partial to the Cool Vanilla which actually neutralizes my pale 60 yr old skin with pink undertones and I didn't look like a ghost. Although the colors selection is limited to 6, there is another color called Wheat (medium tan) that I am fairly sure I can mix in during the summer. I used a damp sponge application on bare skin over moisturizer alone with no primer and finished with only blending sculpting shades and a bit of matte bronzer. I didn't even need to use powder. The finish is actually far more forgiving of lines and wrinkles than the CS! With 60 yr old combination skin there are no miracles, but the finish was more of a soft matte and very natural w/o either looking cakey nor greasyl. The color stayed true for more than 10 hours with NO transfer and it has the most natural doesn't-feel-like-I'm wearing-makeup feel that I was truly lamenting in the reformulation of the CS. It is medium to full buildable coverage and concealer was not even necessary on one red spot on my chin. I am indebted to that reviewer who compared ES DW to this rather inexpensive gem that I never even would have considered. This stuff is not only better than the CS 16 Hr clone I was searching for--it exceeds it in every way. For the CS 16 Hrs and EL DW die-hards out there regrettably mounting a hunt for a replacement, I highly recommend giving Boots No 7 Beautifully Matte a shot--and yes it comes with a nice pump dispensing an appropriate amount as a bonus.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by rsmuskie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had been wearing Bare Minnerals for the past two years and breaking out in little white bumps.To add to it, one summer afternoon I happened to glance at my face in direct sunlight, and my skin looked caked with foundation, dry and powdery! I looked like I had aged 70 years overnight! I read the good reviews On ColorStay, and decided to try it. The ivory was too pale but the Buff shade just blended right into my complexion, no lines or demarcation. You just dot it on lightly and blend quickly. While it does feel rather heavy before you apply it, once you apply it you feel as though you are not wearing a mask. In fact, ColorStay feels a whole lot more natural on my skin than the Bare Minerals ever did! The coverage is astounding. I have hyperpigmentation on cheek areas, dark circles under eyes, and the ColorStay covered all of it without caking or rolling off! The first day I used it, it was 92 degrees and humid in Chicago, I sweat terribly due to menopause, but let me tell you that foundation did not budge at all! So, ColorStay passes all my most crucial foundation tests. After an 8 hour day, it still holds up pretty well. I just blot mid-day with an oil absorbing blotter, dust on a little ColorStay powder, and I'm good to go again for another 4 hours at least. You won't need much concealer when you use this makeup. It's almost like if you wanted to, you double it as a liquid concealer. What I also like about it is it does not transfer onto your clothing or shirt collar! With the Bare Minerals, there was always color tranference, color bleeding down my neck, caking in the folds, lines & wrinkles of my face. If Revlon would only package this foundation in a tube, it'd be cleaner and easier to apply with fingertips. For now, I blend with a Vitamin E moisturized sponge and just a dab of liquid moisturizer to thin it out a bit. You owe it to yourself to try this foundation if you have tried all the others an dhave gotten disappointment for your dollars and efforts. If Revlon discontinues this or tweaks the formula, I'll probably stop wearing makeup.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by GlennaGirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have very mottled skin from seven years in the Southern California sun. If you want a seriously flawless looking complexion, or the next thing to, this is your foundation.

I do "feel" it on my face. It's not bothersome but it's not 100% lightweight either. For me it's a tradeoff and I will buy this product again.

I would like to see:

more lightweight feel
    higher SPF
    better delivery system

I still gave it four stars because really, this is the best coverage I've ever had. It's even better than my pan/solid foundations.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by southblessings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After reading tons of reviews trying to find a full coverage, inexpensive foundation & seeing so many great reviews (although there are always the few haters), I decided to give this a try. It's cheap enough to rish it, after all. Well, I bought the combination/oily skin one b/c it's summer and I'm kinda oily right now. I have to say that I was surprised at the coverage I acheived. I am impressed with the way it doesn't just melt right off my face, too. Miami heat & humidity is tough on a gal's foundation. There were so many colors to choose from, which is better than not enough, for sure. I followed a reviewers advise to apply this foundation a little at a time with a flat edged "stipling" brush...not a sponge or fingers. I couldn't believe how awesome my complexion looked...and I ain't bragging on me, but on the makeup. I'm 39 and have freckles and sunspots galore, unfortunately. I will SO be buying this again & again. Unless they change the formula or something, I no longer have to seek my foudnation Holy Grail. Yay!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2011 12:08:00 PM More reviews by Dustylove

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First of all, I love Colorstay foundation and have used it for several years. It looks good with great coverage, and stays on like wallpaper! Especially useful in the summer.
    BUT it is critical to use the right moisturizer beforehand. I tried using an oil-free moisturizer, and it looked dry and cakey. I switched to another (Garnier Skin Renew SPF 28), and mixed some in with the Colorstay. It looks perfect.
    Another important thing to remember is to let this dry! It may take 5 minutes, while you empty the dishwasher or do some quick sit-ups.
    I too wish they had this in a tube, it would make it easier to travel with.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by JoyfulGypsy

This liquid foundation can seem rather thick and masky IF you use it straight out of the bottle. However, if you mix it with one half part moisturizer it produces the most beautiful, dewy, most flawless finish of any foundation I have ever tried. It lasts all day and never fades or smudges. Try this and you won't be disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2005 2:31:00 AM More reviews by veggigoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the first all day wear foundation I used when I was about 16 searching for a foundation to last in the hot weather and back then it was one of the only all day wear foundations I could find. I stopped using it after other affordable cosmetics companies started producing their versions as back then Colorstay foundation was like liquid cement a it dried so incredibly fact there was no time to blend into the rest of the face! And when it dried your face felt tight all day. Well I tried going back to it after all these years just to see if it's any better then Ultima's Wonderwear, but it tis not. Instead of Colorstay being really thick and drying fast it's now the exact opposite. It's very thin and does not provide full coverage and takes very very long to dry and that's w/ sitting in front of my fan for 10-15 min and it's still tacky! So it went from one extreme to the other. Not sure what's so difficult here as other cosmetics companies can get it right texture wise. Anyhow, I am back to my Ultima Wonderwear foundation which are now so much more affordable since I discovered the Revlon warehouse outlets store in Phoenix which I can call and place an order with anytime for any Ultima, Revlon, Almay product for 60% retail so instead of spending $21.50 from Ulta.com for my Ultima foundation I now spend $8.50 plus $3 or so for shipping. And the Revlon Colorstay is like $5 or so whereas in a store it's $12 or so. he Revlon warehouse number is 1-800-465-5592 and you can call from anywhere to order, just know what you want. I was lucky to actually visit there recently and they had everything and I got a huge department store size shopping bag of stuff for $92 which would had cost well over $300 at full price.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2013 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Sydben

I don't get it.... is there something I'm doing wrong?? The reason why I got this foundation is because of all the amazing reviews I read on it and because it's supposedly the "best" foundation in the drugstore. I bought it and tried it on the day that I got it and I was SO disappointed. It made my face look so matte and dry when the formula that I got was for Normal/Dry skin; and I have normal skin. It also highlighted every flaw I had on my face and clinged to my minimal peach fuzz which literally made me look like I had a beard. It also clinged to my freckles and it looked like I had white dots on my face. Ontop of that it totally dried out my skin and made me flake which doesn't make sence because I thought it was supposed to be for dry skin. Anyways this was the worst foudation I've ever used. It was fair to say that my skin looked better without it on. So just because so many people like something doesn't mean it will work for you.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No