November 22, 2014 | 1420 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Dark Intense Auburn

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by kourtsnow

This was my first time dyeing my hair on my own. I was looking for a purple-ish shade that would give my natural dark brown hair some edge to it.

The product was easily applied and worked well and the conditioner that came with it did a great job at keeping my hair super soft.

The smell wasnt bad at all and was actually more pleasant smelling than the dye that gets used at the salon.
Seeming as my hair is dark i didnt expect it to turn out as i wanted. But it did just that. A subtle purple tone to my dark hair and in different lighting almost a red-violet. Im pretty pleased with how my hair turned out and how much use i got out of one box.
I have pretty long but fine hair ( 35 inches ) and one box was JUST enough to saturate my entire head.
I covered my head with a plastic bag (classy) so the dye could soak right up (and to avoid getting dye all over the sofa while watching how i met your mother)
The box suggests you leave it in for 25 minutes. By the time i actually got my head in the shower to rinse it out it had probably been 30-35 minutes which had no harm done to my hair, so dont be afraid. If anything it probably helped with the colour pay-off.

Very pleased with the turnout of my hair and im just waiting to see how this fades out, judging by other reviews on here it does a nice job fading.
If i decide to colour my own hair again ill definitely be putting the second back-up box of this dye to use!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2014 8:24:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS

- fades beautifully
- doesn't bleed very long
- conditions hair
- no damage

CONS

- smell
- initial color way too dark

COMMENTS: First, I will say that my hair felt amazing after using this. I never use the conditioner that comes with it, but the dye alone left my hair feeling as if I had deep conditioned it already. So, points for that. Secondly, the color comes out VERY dark at first. It even looks black in some lighting and violet-red in others. After a couple of weeks, the fading looks exactly how I want. It's a beautiful deep red that doesn't look too brown (like the other shade "light intense auburn"). I really like this one once it fades, the initial color not so much. Overall, it's a lovely shade of red that lasts a while, doesn't bleed for more than a few washes, and doesn't damage the hair.

Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 3:23:00 AM More reviews by ieatyanyans

I ran out to buy this product in medium intense auburn (r2) because it was raved about by the YouTube guru saaamage and she had beautiful dark burgandy / reddish hair. During the application, the color dripped everywhere (not unusual) but was extremely easy to wipe off the sink even after 10 minutes. I have thick hair up to my mid back and one box worked perfectly for me. While it did smell like ammonia, it wasn't overpowering and I did not feel like I had a headache from the smell even though I left it on for 40 mins. Rinsing this baby off is the hard part. It took forever. 20 mins of rinsing did not get all the dye out so I gave up and just slathered o the conditioner included in the box.

The conditioner is amazing. The directions said to leave it on for 2 mins but I left it on for 10 to get the optimal conditioning. Wow. After I rinsed it off my hair looked the shiniest it's ever been on my life. Think of sparkles and unicorn magic shiny. The color itself was darker than the picture in the box but in areas (such as my temples) where the hair is finer, it is more other and reddish toned. Keep in mind that I started off with dark brown hair so I wasnt expecting to see a shade that wasn't as black as it turned out. There was more color fallout the second time I shampooed but it's slowly diminishing. Overall I love how healthy it made my hair look but I may try the lighter color next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by TXMom73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for the following:
Same color as John Frieda's Deep Cherry Brown.
Not a mousse
Not $13 a box!!!

Mousses dry my hair out something fierce when I have to do touch-ups every 3 weeks because my grey hair seems to want to show up after 2-2 1/2 weeks. Thank you genetics! Also my hair is almost down to my waist, so I have to use 2 bottles no matter what brand I use when I change my hair color. For a touch-up, I just use 1 bottle.

The smell of Garnier was not bad at all. It wasn't overwhelming and did not make me dizzy like some of the other brands I have used in the past. Also, the gloves didn't break. This is a big deal to me. Some of the other brands, the gloves break right in the corner where my thumb and index finger meet and I get a nasty stain there for days.

The red does not stain my shower/bath. Yes, it takes a few washes to get it out of my hair. This has been normal for all reds it seems, but especially this brand. I don't see this as bad, since it really adheres to the strands. It does make my head itch a bit until the remainder of the dye is out. But in hindsight, not near as bad as Revlon Colorsilk. I seem to have an allergic reaction to that brand. I loved the Medium Brown, but the itching was unbearable. It's like the dye just wouldn't come out ever! I had to scrub my scalp and hair with my nails and have a friend help me! And the reds were patchy on my daughter and I, no matter how much we shampooed and tried to even it out, they patched up our scalp.

When I touch-up with Garnier, I run most of the remainder through the length of my hair, but in chucks. So it basically has a unique effect and keeps it from drying my ends.

Just FYI, to keep my hair from drying out, I use Dove Color Care Shampoo and Daily Treatment Conditioner (Dual Stripe Treatment). It does wonders. John Frieda does have Radiant Red Shampoo & Conditioner that is tinted red. Seems to keep your red color pretty bright. My oldest Daughter has red hair as well and she uses that. She loves it. I don't use it everyday because it dries my hair out if I do. Every once in a while isn't bad though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I don't get the negative reviews on this. My hair is a dark brown- a shade or two lighter than the "dark brown to darkest brown" shown under the hair color results on the side of the box. I have dyed my hair all sorts of red & purple (that looks almost red) to try to get this color. I have black ends from dying my hair in the past. I was afraid to use this over my roots, dyed hair, and black ends. I thought I was going to get bright red roots, dark red from there, and black ends. It didn't happen! I was so happy when my entire head is a dark cherry red. In sunlight it glows a gorgeous red and I couldn't be happier! This is exactly what I've been looking for. Basically if you want a vibrant dark red then buy this! It worked for me on my dark hair and my hair doesn't feel or look damaged. I don't get why the reviews are so poor on this. Also I have a little longer than shoulder length hair, I used a whole bottle, and I left it on for an hour.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by Whit6625

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely loved this color! It came out just as the box said. I have always been afraid to do a red color due to my light skin tone and blue eyes, but I went for it and so glad I did. It looks great and it's a gorgeous color. I get a lot of compliments on the red color! It did not dry or fry my hair. My hair looks and feels as if it hasn't been colored at all! Love this dye!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by dropdeadlovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the color i used after bleaching the black out of my hair to a brown color. The dye burns my nostrils bc if the strong scent. The color is DARK auburn and i mean dark which was great for my transition at the time. I love the dye

This part if for the MEDIUM INTENSE AUBURN. This color is nice but i feel it was not much light than the dark color

Overall this dye does not dry out my hair and the color stays in for quite a while

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by baby_grazi_x05

THIS IS FOR THE MEDIUM INTENSE AUBURN! I cannot get over how much I love this hair dye! Four months after I dyed it and had a good inch and a half of regrowth, this color was still going strong. I get TONS of compliments on my hair and NOBODY believes how well it holds up without fading. Hell, even *I* don't believe how well it holds up! Gorgeous color. Just...gorgeous!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

Some notes: This is for the R2 Medium Intense Auburn. I am not a hair stylist, these are just my suggestions for this product.

I have naturally brown-black hair that I have dyed black and auburn alternatively over the years. Therefore I understand that using a red box dye will give my hair a tint or sheen of the specified colour. While these products are specifically for dark brunettes, do not expect the colour on the box on the first go. As with most box dyes, the heat from your scalp will cause the colour to be concentrated at the roots and virtually invisible on the length of your hair. I threw out the developer this comes with and used my ion 30 volume developer from Sally's. I left it in for about 45 minutes (which is longer than the instructions suggest), applying the colour first to my ends and lastly on my roots.

OBVIOUSLY the rinse-out will be intense. I am not sure why this is so upsetting to people, it is quite inevitable. Red is the biggest colour molecule and it will consistently rinse out/bleed every time you wash for several weeks. The dye did not stain my bathtub nor my hands. It did not wreck my hair as much as L'Oreal Feria and other box dyes have. The formula is quite creamy and leaves the hair fairly soft.

My hair did take the colour around my crown and about two inches down my hair shaft. I wasn't expecting a miracle but was hoping for slightly more consistent results. I give this dye 4 lippies because the colour I have is absolutely beautiful. It is a rich mahogany auburn violet that shines bright red in the sun. If you have blonde to medium brown hair, this will probably be very effective on you, even just following the box directions. If you have black hair like me or are a dark brunette or have previously dyed hair, I highly recommend getting your hair professionally dyed or buying professional colour from Sally's and mixing with 30 or 40 volume developer (very affordable). Red hair requires patience.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by jillbarry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I normally use Garnier Chocolate Cherry which I love and picked this up to try something new. I was a bit nervous when I saw the color in the bottle, but thought I'd just try it. It's pretty intense-very red, which didn't really bother me b/c my hair has been every shade of red imaginable. Don't love it, don't hate it. Though will not repurchase.