Mayonnaise Hair Mask

4.1

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I recommend this highly to people with damaged hair, who need protein, yet the hair seems to hate it at the same time. The amount of egg is pretty small, but definitely there. It gives similar results as The Egg Bomb, with significantly less dripping, less eggy smell, and less stiff hair.

For those complaining about the smell: why not try making your own? It's super simple if you have a stick or hand blender. I gag at the mere thought of putting standard American mayonnaise on my head.

Hair Mayonnaise (don't eat, the EVOO makes it very bitter!)

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon 5% vinegar or lemon juice
Dash of mustard powder or prepared mustard (optional, said to have hair growth benefits + included in most homemade mayo recipes)
1 cup your chosen oil (highly recommend EVOO)

For a hand blender (immersion blender): Add all ingredients, let settle and wait till water is separated from oil, then blend on high until to desired thickness.

For hand mixer (beaters): Using only one beater attached, add yolk, water, vinegar, and mustard. Blend well. Manually pour in small amounts of oil, waiting until each bit is fully emulsified before pouring in more. Once it starts to thicken, you can be a bit quicker. Blend until desired thickness.

This makes a gorgeous, thick, non-smelly mayo that gives even better results than store bought. It's like using your favorite hair oil, but better. It makes a ton, so you can freeze the rest for future treatments. Dampen your unwashed hair, massage as much as you want throughout, and leave in as long as you like before washing as usual. It would suit well for overnight treatment because it is thick and not-drippy. Enjoy!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I was in third grade there was a girl with perfect hair, and when someone asked her what she did to her hair to make it so healthy she said, " My mom leaves a small jar of mayonnaise in the shower, and I use it everytime." I thought she was kidding, and asked my mom, who then asked her hair dresser, who confirmed to us that mayonnaise is good for the hair. I definitely keep my mayo refrigerated though.

Seriously, this has saved my chlorine damaged hair from my swim team days, it has transformed my hair from brittle to touchable.

This smells pretty darn unpleasant, but boy oh boy does it do wonders for my hair. I use this maybe once a month, and my hair always feels soooo soft after using it, I can't stop touching it!

This works MUCH better for me than coconut oil masks. Highly recommend giving it a go, especially for the price! Have a bologna and mayo sandwich while you're at it!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used this mask yesterday. My hair is damaged and overprocessed from going blonde at home. I'm in great need of a strong mask. I usually use coconut or olive oil, but i read good reviews about mayonnaise so i gave it a go. My hair is pixie short and fine but i have lots and i used two tablespoons of regular mayonnaise (remember, it has to be "real" mayonnaise, not sauce, but the brand doesn't matter)
I liked the consistency because it's easy to put in hair (like a very creamy conditioner) and wrapped my hair in plastic. I left it for 30 minutes and used my regular color-care shampoo. Tadaaaa! My hair is soft, manageable, shiny, i'm happy!!! The smell is not super pleasant and your husband/boyfriend might make fun of you (thanks, honey...) but it's worth it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Yes, it does everything mentioned, but I can't stand the smell.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I added warm olive oil to my hair as well. I took a whole bunch of mayonnaise in my hand with gloves and slathered it rubbing it into my ends. I did this two times and rubbed the rest in my scalp. I had bleached my hair about 3 times and dyed it black again. I was regulatly straightening it because i could not wear it natural. This treatment saved my hair
It reduced frizz and puffiness and helped redefine my natural waves. I will continue to do this.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First off, of course I would repurchase mayo! My favorites on burgers, dogs and cold cuts ;) but I was in the need of a deep conditioner since I still live at home & have no job. I recently used my younger sisters shampoo which is this Panteen stuff that made my hair feel like straw which is not good since my hair is already super thin. After looking up home remedies I came upon this & thought it was perfect since my family always has mayo on hand. I applied this last night to dry hair concentrating on my roots, ends & under my scalp where I break out (which causes so much dryness)! I put my hair in a messy bun & slept on a towel. In the morning I washed twice with my Aussie volumizing shampoo & then conditioned with Brillante Brunette Multi-Tone Revealing Conditioner (which is a light conditioner, not so good for super dry hair but oily scalps can get away with beautifully). After my shower my hair was so easy to comb through without needing to use my Holy Grail must have leave in detanglers. My hair was also super shiny without the use of my Holy Grail Glossing Gel. The smell was a little off putting but I eat mayo enough to be able to handle it. I will forever do this once a week.

My hair was dry, muddy and very dull after semi permanent color was put over permanent hair color & I had a very faint 'band' of different color by the root regrowth covering gray -- not a cute look!
Hair color is Wella Color Charms light brown neutral -- I have medium brown hair.
I slathered store bought mayo all over my hair & let it sit for an hour & washed it out by adding Dawn dish detergent directly to the hair and & throughly coated it before adding water & did several washes & then conditioned w/regular store bought conditioner -- WOW --
it's shiny & so so soft I can't stop touching it & the color looks way better -- now I need to find a better colorist at a salon!

I will be doing this again to hopefully 'lift & fade' more of the permanent color -- way too dark -- I'm going to also try adding baking soda to the Dawn -- man oh man, I hate permanent color over my brown hair that has 24% - 50% gray you get a really unattractive line w/regrowth --

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Mayo makes my hair feel so soft and shiny. My hair is dry so it adds a lot of moisture into my hair that lasts longer than most leave in treatments. I use the mayo on damp hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then I rinse it out with conditioner. It smells pretty bad if you don't wash your hair afterwards. I do this once a week or whenever my hair looks dull.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have natural hair (i.e. without coloring or chemical processing) past over the shoulders and getting dry and rough after spending often in the pool in this summer. I read in one of the swim forums about weekly treatment with mayo but when I came back from the pool, I had to shampoo my hair in the shower. I don't want another time to spend mayo treatment. I recently had the point that my hair needed some serious treatment.

So today, I warmed a little bit of coconut oil in the microwave and mix with EVOO and "Real" mayonnaise with a mixer. Then, applied to my dry hair, blew with hair dryer for about 5 min then, covered with shower cap and my silicone swim cap. I noticed that some dripping oil on my neck as I probably added more oil. I spent about an hour on the elliptical trainer while watching a movie, then did some crunches and stretch. It took over 2 hours with the caps on. Then, I shampooed once with Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo, regular conditioner, and rinsed with ACV and water (~1:4 ratio). ACV rinsed off the mayo smell and I think it also cleaned the built ups from the sculpt. The result is amazing, can't describe with enough words! I love to be in the pool but hate to get my hair wet with chlorine. I always wet my hair before entering the pool and usually wore swim cap. I also used deep cleansing shampoo and rinse with ACV but I got dried and rough hair regardless. I need weekly commitment :)

Be careful when you mix oil in your mayo and accidentally sat on the couch or sofa. I had to scrap the sofa from the oil stain.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products