July 23, 2014 | 1912 users online

Hair - Aveda - Salon Hair coloring

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 6:34:00 AM More reviews by westcoasthippie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely love aveda hair color. From the perspective of a hair stylist, I can honestly say I have never used a nicer, more true to results color line than aveda. it really lets me be artistic with my craft, allowing me to work with my clients current hair color to create the perfect shade for their eye color and skin tone etc, as the color is not pre packaged and you mix the tone separately, allowing it to be completely customizable. Some people have mentioned in their posts that they do not like the color, as it never looks like the swatch. No matter what color line you are working with, it will never look like the swatch, which is why your stylist may be hesitant to show you swatches and instead may get you to flip through pictures in a magazine. The swatch is white plastic, and your hair is not. Hair is pigmented by eumelanin and pheomelanin, therefore already having color molecules in it and does not absorb color in the same way that unpigmented plastic does. Color is designed to work with the natural pigment found in hair to either enhance, tone, balance, neutralize existing color, or to change the level of light/dark. Hair that already has color on it will turn out darker than the swatch, whereas hair that has never been colored will usually end up being brighter. Another common misconception about aveda color is that it fades faster than other color. While it is up to 98℅ naturally derived, it is still processed with peroxide, as all other color lines are, therefore you get the same penetration into the inner layers of the hair shaft as you do with other brands of color, although I can't necessarily guarantee the longevity of my color service if it is being dulled by drugstore products high in sulphates and parabens that basically coat the hair in wax (and subsequently make the hair brittle). If you are paying upwards of $80 for your color, why would you not be protecting it by using the right products designed to be gentle on color treated hair? Also, it is always good to go into your hair appointment knowing exactly what you want, and being able to convey this to your stylist, preferably through pictures. Your idea of ashy could be completely different from my idea of ashy. To me, ashy means pewter, to you, it could just mean not brassy. Or to me strawberry blonde could mean a light peachy copper, to you, it could mean blonde with a slight pink hue to it. Always make sure to ask your stylist questions when you are unsure, and have good communication. A thorough consultation is what makes for an amazing color service. And my apologies for the long review, but in my belief, education and understanding makes a solid foundation for the relationship between you and your stylist.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2013 9:16:00 AM More reviews by phyliciamonique

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I went to an aveda salon because I like their products and the way they make my hair feel. I went to a stylist who had very bright blue hair in her stylist picture and told her I wanted a vibrant pink in with my platinum blonde (I am naturally a 'dishwater' blonde). She was excited to work with me and everything was great....until she rinsed my hair. The 'pink' came out a burnt orange/almost a dull maroon type color and she only touched up a few of my roots so now I have brunette roots in the back of my head. Her excuse for the pink was that Aveda likes to use more natural colors so sometimes it happens. It quickly faded after 2 washes (even with their color conserve shampoo/conditioner) and I am very disappointed that I paid $150 for a 'well, that color pink can happen' type of hairstyle when I went and got a tube of magenta semi-permanent and its the most vibrant pink ive had. I won't go back to aveda salons ever again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 8:02:00 AM More reviews by elat33179

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was going to this expensive, talented stylist for years. I loved the way she cut my hair, but it was getting so damaged and dry. She fed me some crap about how every 7 years, our hair texture changes...blah, blah, blah, and that was why my hair was dry and breaking. I don't know what took me so long, but I went to a different salon (The Hair Cuttery) for a price break and to try something new. I feel reborn! My hair looks fabulous!It has been about three weeks and it looks like I just walked out of the salon. I hate Aveda color and will never let that stuff near me again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by SurlyGirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am sharply disappointed by how quickly the color fades and lightens. Like a previous reviewer described, my rich, deep chocolate brown color began to fade and lighten significantly within 2 shampoos, with distinct reddish tones. Horrible! The second time I went for root touchup, the colorist matched the roots to existing color - and when I went home, my husband's face said it all. Ew.

Up until Aveda, I'd covered my own greys with home kits but, over the years, they made my hair drew and began to skew very dark. Which is why I went to Aveda. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do next. :-/

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 3:48:00 PM More reviews by chrisie

Absolutely Love Aveda haircolor.When I first moved to the West Coast,I was I desparately seeking out a stylist.I had family members who were stylist,so I was use to getting cut & color done by them.My friend had found someone for me.I was very hestitant,because it seemed the salons I visited were not sure how to do my color "blonde" that I had.Which was a good thing,because they were honest & could've have messed up hair really bad.I met my stylist & she showed me a picture that she done with someone that had Black hair & made it the Blonde I had.I trusted this & after all was said & done it was perfect! The Blonde color she had used exactly matched,no different blonde color rings,everything blended really nice.Five years later still with same stylist =)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2012 12:10:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have had my hair colored twice at an Aveda Institute and both times, my dark brown hair color looked gorgeous when I left the salon, then had completely faded by 2 weeks later, as the previous reviewer mentioned. I don't have much gray to speak of either. It is a shame because I believe the products are healthier/less toxic, but as a color it just doesn't last, and like the previous reviewer, I don't wash my hair often either (approx. 2x/week). I just recolored my hair at home using John Frieda foam-- I painted on the dark ash brown over my lighter brownish/auburn color not covering all the strands, to leave some variations in color-- and it's lasting a lot longer. In the end, the Aveda color ends up being harder on my hair, because I have to color it more often.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/16/2012 9:48:00 AM More reviews by martiyates

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had my hair colored at Aveda a few times now, and I'm not impressed. I think my stylist probably knew what she was doing, but from what I understand the colors inevitably pull red. I wanted a nice, natural but not too warm darkish brown color. Every time I have had it colored, the dark brown faded after just a couple of weeks, and I was left with reddish medium-brown hair. And I don't even wash my hair every day. I think the whole natural/organic pitch is slightly exaggerated as well. I had better results using Naturtint at home than with the $75 Aveda salon color.

Update: I forgot to mention that, like another reviewer here, I asked to see color swatches so that I could pinpoint my color better, but instead the stylist asked me to look through a magazine and find a color that I liked ... not very scientific.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by cwestwood

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried aveda hair colour in the salon twice now. The first time I had the colour done I was aiming for a natural looking blonde. I have dark blonde/light brown har naturally so had a blend of tones to achieve a natural sunkissed look.
I am not sure, but I have a feeling aveda is not the best choice for lightening dark hair. Both times now, I have left the salon surprised at how lack lustre and flat my hair's colour and quality is. reasssured that after several washes the toner will be rinsed away and the colour variation should be much more obvious, I am left having to disagree. I was encourgaed to use the aveda shampoo and conditioners so that my home care works in with the salon care, but I have been really disappointed. My hair is just not shiny and feels course to touch. Normally my naturally straight hair is soft and shiny so I am left feeling that aveda is just not for me. Maybe when putting colour in, such as browns and reds aveda would be a good choice but for lightening, it cannot compare with the result I get from Goldwell. Back to that I will go.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 11:31:00 AM More reviews by NatashaJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just got my hair colored at the Aveda Institute in Atlanta, and my technician was absolutely amazing. I had brown hair that got horrible copper/straw highlights at the beginning of summer and then I tried to dye over it with medium ash brown dye from Loreal, which turned BLACK AS NIGHT and as faded, created a leopard melange of spots of black and straw in dark brown/medium brown hair. HORRIBLE.

He spent literally 6 hours weaving highlights in my hair, avoiding the black (he wanted to create lowlights with the black in my hair, to avoid the damage) and then colored my hair with the new aveda fall 2011 auburn/brown color. The result was chocolate brown with dark auburn/claret highlights and black brown lowlights. It is like a work of art. I cannot say enough about the color, he even mixed a different formulation to put on my roots so they would be uniform with my color treated rest of my hair. I have uniform color with to die for highlights, all for 60.00 (my hair is just below my shoulders).

Seriously, this is my first time with Aveda salon color or going to an Aveda institute, and it was BEYOND FABULOUS. A teacher was literally by his side the entire time helping him, tweaking the formula, etc. Plus, the student was so meticulous, thus why it took 6 hours. Definitely worth getting up early on a Saturday on a holiday weekend. PM me if you want the technician's name and you are in the Atlanta area, he is definitely the best!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2011 12:18:00 AM More reviews by LegacyGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've gotten my hair colored 4 times at an Aveda salon. The first time the dye was totally out by week 2. I had to go back and they charged me again the $100 to re-do my full head. Lasted 1.5 weeks. When I called to cancel my regrowth appointment the owner insisted I come in and try again on them. The third time it lasted longer about 3.5 weeks. They assured me the regrowth touch-up would "pull though" and refresh my whole head the 4th time. Yeah, it was never the same.

The process is wonderful. The dye is non-damaging, but doesn't last and is way to expensive to have done every month. I moved on to a box dye and couldn't be happier.