Aveda Salon Hair coloring

3.1

on 8/27/2015 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I paid $105 for a trim and all over color at my local Aveda salon. This price is on par with most other decent to high-end salons in my area.
The stylist took her time and did not rush. She was very friendly and very knowledgeable. I was in the chair for a total of about two hours. I've had everything done to my hair from box dye, to colors and highlights at mid-end salons like Regis, all the way to high-end salons and even henna.
In my opinion haircolor is haircolor, as far as the results on my hair I've never noticed anything startling or over-the-top gorgeous between all the different methods, with henna being the exception. They all do some degree of damage and are drying.
The reason I like the Aveda experience is because it is not as stingy, not as stinky and seems a little bit safer in terms of chemicals.
But it's not a miracle and in my opinion Aveda color is not a far superior haircolor beyond everything else that is out there.

I have never had my hair respond so negatively; it was like straw and the color was really nothing to crow about. Worse still, my hair started falling out like I had never experienced--I mean in tufts. I was terrified. Went to Google to see if anyone else had had such reactions and was completely shocked by how many people experienced major hair loss on the heels of these color treatments. This is no joke: Aveda seriously need to give potential patrons some warning.
Also, I really wasn't crazy about having nearly 4 hours of my day eaten up for this process. NOTE TO AVEDA: If I need a message, I'll go get one; ditto all the "complementary" treatments, that somehow showed up on the bill.
Furthermore the salon I was in was so busy and the stylist was so overwhelmed that I felt like I was a burden to her. Another stylist who wound up cutting my hair, due to some 'scheduling issues' or 'not enough/too much time' was very aggressively pushing products on me. To me, this approach was not about taking care of the client but more about 'get 'em, get 'em done, and sell, sell, sell.' The haircut was really poor and cut at such an odd length that all I could do is tie it back with a hair band. Treatments all-in ran me over $200.00 and ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.
It's been two months and my hair is finally recovering. NOTE to POTENTIAL Aveda Hair Color clients: read what's on the web--this 'nontoxic' stuff is potent and burns hair ---right down to roots.

on 8/15/2014 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For two years now, I have been getting my hair colored at an Aveda salon. The first two times, my hair looked fantastic. I DID notice that my hair was shedding quite a bit after coloring, but I attributed that to stress. After about a year of seeing this same Aveda stylist, my hair was noticeably thinner. I asked my stylist about it and she said it must be due to my age (perimenopause) or diet (gluten). I accepted this and continued to see her. Now, another year later, I have lost about 50% of my hair. I decided to do an internet search and sure enough, there are many people who have found that Aveda color causes major hair loss for them. Who knew? What made me suspect that it was the hair color was the fact that I lost SO MUCH HAIR right after coloring. I hope to goodness this is reversible! I have done some reading and I will go with organic color systems from now on. Aveda color is too harsh for the hair.

on 8/8/2014 6:17:00 AM

I love the smell of Aveda products and the stylists who work in the salons are usually friendly and seem to really believe in their products. Unfortunately, after spending $300 for highlights and a range of products to carry home with me, it wasn't long before I figured out that Aveda was the culprit behind my fried hair. It has never been in worse shape in my entire life. The highlights have left my hair damaged beyond repair, and I unwittingly continued using the products I brought home with me, thinking if I just kept using them, my hair would get better - after all, that's what I paid for, that's what I was sold. My hair is just getting worse with every passing use and I'm so upset for having spent so much money and now I have to have it all cut off because it's just fried and looks awful. The shampoo doesn't really seem to lather too well, but maybe it's not supposed to? The conditioner just doesn't even seem to penetrate my hair, it's weak feeling and just doesn't do anything. The tiny bottle of oil that was meant to help smooth the ends after styling just absorbs right away and leaves no trace of even being used. I'm glad these products seem to work for some people, but my normal, wavy textured hair just doesn't seem to conform to this product, no matter how good it smells. My advice: Proceed with caution. Actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and would rather tell you to run away from Aveda like your hair is on fire, because, evidently, that's pretty much what they did to mine. Here's to hoping I like my new short hair cut (sad tear for losing years of work growing it out)!

I absolutely love aveda hair color. From the perspective of a hair stylist, I can honestly say I have never used a nicer, more true to results color line than aveda. it really lets me be artistic with my craft, allowing me to work with my clients current hair color to create the perfect shade for their eye color and skin tone etc, as the color is not pre packaged and you mix the tone separately, allowing it to be completely customizable. Some people have mentioned in their posts that they do not like the color, as it never looks like the swatch. No matter what color line you are working with, it will never look like the swatch, which is why your stylist may be hesitant to show you swatches and instead may get you to flip through pictures in a magazine. The swatch is white plastic, and your hair is not. Hair is pigmented by eumelanin and pheomelanin, therefore already having color molecules in it and does not absorb color in the same way that unpigmented plastic does. Color is designed to work with the natural pigment found in hair to either enhance, tone, balance, neutralize existing color, or to change the level of light/dark. Hair that already has color on it will turn out darker than the swatch, whereas hair that has never been colored will usually end up being brighter. Another common misconception about aveda color is that it fades faster than other color. While it is up to 98℅ naturally derived, it is still processed with peroxide, as all other color lines are, therefore you get the same penetration into the inner layers of the hair shaft as you do with other brands of color, although I can't necessarily guarantee the longevity of my color service if it is being dulled by drugstore products high in sulphates and parabens that basically coat the hair in wax (and subsequently make the hair brittle). If you are paying upwards of $80 for your color, why would you not be protecting it by using the right products designed to be gentle on color treated hair? Also, it is always good to go into your hair appointment knowing exactly what you want, and being able to convey this to your stylist, preferably through pictures. Your idea of ashy could be completely different from my idea of ashy. To me, ashy means pewter, to you, it could just mean not brassy. Or to me strawberry blonde could mean a light peachy copper, to you, it could mean blonde with a slight pink hue to it. Always make sure to ask your stylist questions when you are unsure, and have good communication. A thorough consultation is what makes for an amazing color service. And my apologies for the long review, but in my belief, education and understanding makes a solid foundation for the relationship between you and your stylist.

I went to an aveda salon because I like their products and the way they make my hair feel. I went to a stylist who had very bright blue hair in her stylist picture and told her I wanted a vibrant pink in with my platinum blonde (I am naturally a 'dishwater' blonde). She was excited to work with me and everything was great....until she rinsed my hair. The 'pink' came out a burnt orange/almost a dull maroon type color and she only touched up a few of my roots so now I have brunette roots in the back of my head. Her excuse for the pink was that Aveda likes to use more natural colors so sometimes it happens. It quickly faded after 2 washes (even with their color conserve shampoo/conditioner) and I am very disappointed that I paid $150 for a 'well, that color pink can happen' type of hairstyle when I went and got a tube of magenta semi-permanent and its the most vibrant pink ive had. I won't go back to aveda salons ever again.

on 5/5/2013 8:02:00 AM

I was going to this expensive, talented stylist for years. I loved the way she cut my hair, but it was getting so damaged and dry. She fed me some crap about how every 7 years, our hair texture changes...blah, blah, blah, and that was why my hair was dry and breaking. I don't know what took me so long, but I went to a different salon (The Hair Cuttery) for a price break and to try something new. I feel reborn! My hair looks fabulous!It has been about three weeks and it looks like I just walked out of the salon. I hate Aveda color and will never let that stuff near me again.

on 7/30/2012 9:25:00 PM

I am sharply disappointed by how quickly the color fades and lightens. Like a previous reviewer described, my rich, deep chocolate brown color began to fade and lighten significantly within 2 shampoos, with distinct reddish tones. Horrible! The second time I went for root touchup, the colorist matched the roots to existing color - and when I went home, my husband's face said it all. Ew.

Up until Aveda, I'd covered my own greys with home kits but, over the years, they made my hair drew and began to skew very dark. Which is why I went to Aveda. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do next. :-/

on 7/7/2012 3:48:00 PM

Absolutely Love Aveda haircolor.When I first moved to the West Coast,I was I desparately seeking out a stylist.I had family members who were stylist,so I was use to getting cut & color done by them.My friend had found someone for me.I was very hestitant,because it seemed the salons I visited were not sure how to do my color "blonde" that I had.Which was a good thing,because they were honest & could've have messed up hair really bad.I met my stylist & she showed me a picture that she done with someone that had Black hair & made it the Blonde I had.I trusted this & after all was said & done it was perfect! The Blonde color she had used exactly matched,no different blonde color rings,everything blended really nice.Five years later still with same stylist =)

on 5/13/2012 12:10:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have had my hair colored twice at an Aveda Institute and both times, my dark brown hair color looked gorgeous when I left the salon, then had completely faded by 2 weeks later, as the previous reviewer mentioned. I don't have much gray to speak of either. It is a shame because I believe the products are healthier/less toxic, but as a color it just doesn't last, and like the previous reviewer, I don't wash my hair often either (approx. 2x/week). I just recolored my hair at home using John Frieda foam-- I painted on the dark ash brown over my lighter brownish/auburn color not covering all the strands, to leave some variations in color-- and it's lasting a lot longer. In the end, the Aveda color ends up being harder on my hair, because I have to color it more often.

Top Rated Aveda Products