January 26, 2015 | 1381 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2015 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Springer33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Around this time last year, I happened upon a make-up thread where I saw the topic of discussion was issues people were having with their foundation and such. I read many posts by different women describing how they had a problem with how their foundation was affected by their dry skin but that it was rectified when they introduced a face primer into their routine. I then read how Monistat Chafing Powder Gel was very similar to the ingredients found in high end face primers.

I talked to my sister who is much more knowledgable in these things than I and she gave me a small dollop of her Smash Box face primer to try. She was generous enough that I had about a week's worth to experiment with. It made ALL the difference in the world. I regretted I had not discovered this years ago instead of struggling with foundation issues caused by dry skin. The day I used up the last of the primer she had given me, I took the recommendation of countless posters to try the Monistat. I could tell NO difference when I replaced the former with this. None. It integrated smoothly into my makeup routine flawlessly. After beginning my usage of this gel last year, I am now currently on my third tube. And when it runs out, I will repurchase again. There is nothing that could be improved with my Monistat Gel and foundation tag team for they are perfect together.

However I had read multiple times that a silicone primer should always be used with a silicone based foundation and never with an oil based foundation. I learned first hand that fact. Due to my forgetting my foundation on an overnight trip, I used my mother's foundation one morning; on top of the gel/primer. Whoa mama I did not know what was going on but things were wild. The two did not get along with each other at all. Ended up wearing powder only that day. Then I recalled the mixing issue and have avoided it ever since. Not that I have any urge to change my foundation. After years of using various different ones, my face took a perfect liking to th Mac studio Fix liquid. Those two, Monistat and Studio Fix, work perfectly together for me and have given me the best looking result I have ever had.

The two main things I notice when I use this:
1. My foundation goes on so smoothly and blends in very well. VERY smoothly.

2. My face stays how it looked after I freshly applied my foundation and powder basically all day long. The life of my foundation and powder increased by hours.

Forgive me, I have never used this product for its intended purpose so I cannot say anything to that matter. But as far as using it as a face primer dupe, as long as your foundation is silicone based, this is the perfect addition to make everything go on and stay just right. And you cannot beat the cost! Definitely cannot beat the cost for the result you get from this.

Edit: I wanted to add that I have had no problems with this causing any kind of clogged pores or acne issues. As everyone reacts differently, that is merely my experience with it.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2015 6:55:00 PM More reviews by scribblegenie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using this for my thighs when I worked out. I noticed it seemed to be the same stuff as expensive face priming gels. I checked the ingredients. It is the same stuff.

Monistat works great as an anti-chafing gel and even better as a primer because the price is so much better! I continue to use this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2015 8:55:00 AM More reviews by key555

I have extremely oily skin. I use this after applying milk of magnesia and keeps my face matte and oil free for at least five hours when usually Im super oily within an hour or so. Also makes my face feel poreless and soft creating a perfect base for my foundation. Wouldnt use it without M.O.M. first tho because I get super oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2015 11:41:00 PM More reviews by laranoesta

I am on my third tube of this and I have 4 backups under my sink should they run out any time soon

I love this stuff as a primer
I typically use this alone all over my face concentrating on the T zone where I need most smoothing and priming

Lately Iv been mixing this with the green smashbox photofinish primer just to combat the redness I have on my T zone as well and seriously they blend together great (almost as though they are the same freaking thing....hmmm?)

I will continue to use this as my primer for life since you cant beat the price or availability

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2015 9:56:00 AM More reviews by Kyliesmom5

I use this just how the instructions on the back of the box says to. Nothing else. I wouldn't put this on my face risking clogged pores and just that icky feeling. The things people do for beauty are insane. What will they think of next?

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2015 2:32:00 AM More reviews by nsugga

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Eh. Cheap compared some other primers. Creates a nice smooth surface for my foundation. Makes me a lil oily but nothing horrid. Good amount of product a lil goes a long way. Easily accessible found in many drug stores. Will b repurchasing

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2015 5:28:00 PM More reviews by YGON

This is the BOMB to use as primer I have used so many brands and have not got as good results as this! & it is so afordable definetly the best!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2015 5:15:00 PM More reviews by TishLiu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne-prone skin all over my face, and after a few hours the grease kind of smears its way into my eyes and causes it to sting, so an oil-control primer is kind of a big deal for me.

I started off with the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Primer ($34 at Sephora, ouch!) which is a godsend for oily skin, but wanted to try this cheaper Monistat Chafing Relief Gel ($9 at San Francisco Walgreens) to compare.

---- Shine Control ----

MCRG does an okay job of controlling shine – I apply a thin layer all over my face but still get a little oily after about 3-4 hours and have to blot once during the day, but it's still much better than using nothing. The Becca Primer keeps me matte for at least 7 hours, if not all day.

---- Texture and Feel ----

This is where I really have an issue with the Monistat Gel. The gel goes on wet but dries to a powdery finish, and makes my skin feel kind of dry and raw; almost like snakeskin; it's a little creepy to me. However, this does create a really nice smooth base for my foundation to go on.

Contrast this with the Becca primer: it makes me feel like I have naturally matte skin, as if I were born with drier skin which has zero impulse to produce oil during the day. It's beautiful to touch, just feels like my own skin. But it doesn't fill in the pores and divots of my face; no smooth canvas here, so it's not really a foundation primer. If I really cared, I would use something like Laura Geller's Spackle on top of the Becca primer.

---- Skin health ----

On top of that, this Monistat gel causes redness and whiteheads on my face after one use, and if I don't deep-cleanse thoroughly with my Clarisonic or makeup wipe, then I get little red zits / cysts after a few days of using it. Probably my skin doesn't react well to the Dimethicone. I use a silicone-based foundation too (I seem to be fine with cyclopentasiloxane in the Smashbox Studio Skin Foundation) but maybe the difference is that since the foundation is coloured, I always remember to remove it.

---- Verdict ----

Being so much cheaper than my alternative, I really wanted the Monistat Gel to work for me as an oil-controlling primer, but I have to stick with Becca's Ever-Matte Primer. The Becca primer isn't for everyone – if you have a single dry patch on your skin and accidentally use it there, it will desiccate your skin and you'll probably hate it. But the Monistat Gel makes my skin too sensitive and overall I don't like the feel of it, so I'm going with my gut.

Note: I'm not maliciously trying to downgrade the product's overall rating by giving it 2 lippies, but just want to add more data points for the girls filtering by "Oily skin" who want to know the odds that Monistat gel will work for them.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Applehead09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Caused me to breakout and made me even more oily. Guess to each is own!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by cutupangels78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A DUPE (or better) than Smashbox PhotoFinish. A little bit goes a long way. Helps my makeup stay. Can't imagine wearing makeup without it. I mix a pea-sized amount into moisturizer underneath my makeup.