Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

This stuff sends me into an immediate migraine. It's overbearingly strong. It's also far too spicy and dark for my liking.

on 2/1/2015 5:16:00 PM

I bought this for my mother after she requested it. On first smelling it, I didn't like it at all. Initially, it's far too strong. But after a couple of hours, it becomes a beautiful soft scent. It's sweet, musky and powdery without being at all old-lady ish. The staying power is probably it's most impressive quality. This stuff lasts all day and lingers for days afterwards. I sprayed it on my wrist and 5 days later I would still get a subtle whiff from the sleeve on my jacket. I probably wouldn't buy this for myself, because I prefer a lighter perfume for everyday. But I will continue to steal the occasional squirt of this from my mother's bottle :)

on 1/29/2015 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was born in 1974 so growing up in the 80's I remember when this 1st came out,there were AD's for it everywhere!!!! My mom wore it a lot and loved it..as a kid so did I!!! My mom would always let me put a tiny bit of it on and I remember it lasting all day & night!!

I got my 1st bottle around 13 thanks to my mom! I love & still love the scent...warm amber,musky,vaniila-ish with hints of spice,sweetness,woodsyness,incense...it's definitely a fall/winter scent! Super long lasting!

*This one one of the 1st scents that started my perfume addiction!!!!!

This perfume takes me back in time to the 80's when I was a kid and I'm happy to say I've been through many bottles in the past!<3

on 12/12/2014 5:43:00 PM

YUM. A divinely silky amber/tonka-based Oriental with a fascinatingly clean citrusy-green top. In the '80s, I would have called it a "sweet" perfume; however, next to today's candied florals, Obsession is surprisingly dry and refreshing! My longest-running fragrance love-- I've actually finished bottles of this over the years, and I'm notoriously diversified and fickle in my perfume choices.

Blatantly sexy, but it stays fairly close to the skin if you squirt judiciously. I go ahead and wear it to work, and everyone likes it. I'm a redhead and a social worker, and this fragrance suits me to a T: spicy, warm, inviting, strong but lovable. (BTW I do not get comparisons of Obsession to Opium or Youth-Dew! The latter two are way more spicy and heavy, with oppressive fecal notes, and I can't even try to wear them.)

This is one fragrance for which VINTAGE formulation is a must. The current iteration by Coty Prestige is recognizably Obsession, but thinner and lacking the indulgent, complex harmony of the original. It's like a Glade version of Obsession.

The best version is the original, by Calvin Klein Fragrances. This came in cologne and EDP, either in kidney-shaped splash bottles or in egg-shaped spray bottles with the sprayer built into the cap. A very close second is the Unilever version: spray bottles of EDP with a gold band around the cap. Avoid modern bottles with a plain, dark brown cap.

on 8/10/2014 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

After reading reviews I decided that I was missing out by not trying this one so I ordered a tester bottle off ebay. Incense with a hint of vanilla....mmmmmm. I love this and will wear it alot this fall! It's also nice that it lasts all day without reapplying and yes, it's very strong so don't put on too much. If you're a lover of spicy scents you may really like this if you haven't tried it.

on 6/28/2014 12:28:00 PM

Musky and sexy. My early twenties was spent bathed in this. Love the deep scent.

on 2/6/2014 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Cautionary tale: I went to a secretarial luncheon at my company in the early 90's, and with eyes rolling, the group complained about Candice's Obsession (she was otherwise a sweet & well-liked person -- not in attendance at this luncheon).

Apparently, Candice's daily application of Obsession filled the whole administration building each morning (I personally worked in another building). And from my experience, it doesn't take much of this classic to fill a space -- it's quite a floater. I doubt Candice actually applied very much, probably a small squirt was enough to travel into the big open central space of that building.

Although I'm an oriental lover, Obsession didn't appeal to me when it first came out in the mid-80's, so I didn't jump on buying a bottle. There was some *note* in there that I didn't like (civet? or a spice, like maybe coriander?) -- or else it wasn't sweet enough -- or vanilla enough -- or else it was too flat and just -- brown. I don't know, something in the mix rubbed me the wrong way -- I wasn't sold, didn't buy it.

And then our Airborne Express courier came in one cold, dark winter's day around year 1988 to pick up a package after lunch -- and she smelled quite warm & wonderful -- so I asked her what she was wearing, and it was Obsession. It was afternoon, and it smelled lke a nice warm woody scent on her. Well, that changed my mind, so that's when I bought my dab-on splash bottle and began wearing one small dab of it. Enjoyed it, for the most part, but I never finished the bottle and eventually threw it away when it turned extremely dark.

I now have a spray bottle which I bought a couple years ago but have barely used. After seeing recent board raves, I tried it again on a Saturday, back in Nov or Dec -- and while running my errands, I felt like I reeked. I tried not to get close to other people in stores. I hadn't put much on, but it seemed so strong, and it still had that strange unidentified spice basenote that I never liked.

I was very self-conscious that morning, and it never seemed to wear off -- at all. I haven't worn it since, but I'm not willing to give my bottle away -- I'll keep it. So Obsession has come and gone in my life. I didn't like it -- then I liked it -- now I'm back to not liking it very much again. It's one of those I should have loved (it fits my usual tastes) but for whatever reason, it has mostly not been one of my favorites.

on 2/6/2014 1:41:00 PM

I don't know how to explain this fragrance. Let's see...I like this scent but it doesn't like me.
Nice fragrance but way too strong. I had a small sample bottle of this. I wore it for hours; all the while loving the scent. It did NOT give me a headache, but it--literally--made me sick to my stomach. Thinking I might be nauseous for a different reason, I tried Obsession again. I'm sorry to say this, but I got sick to my stomach a second time. I gave my little bottle away.

on 1/28/2014 8:31:00 PM

I love Obsession, just as much as I loved the 80's! I miss the strong perfumes, now everyone seems to be so sensitive that I can only wear it at home.

on 11/30/2013 2:10:00 AM

I am an educated 57 year old southern lady who found the ads for Obsession so annoying that I avoided smelling or sampling it til TODAY! Damn, This stuff is to die for gorgeous, rich , feminine and SEXY. Best yet , the price is reasonable and the fragrance lasts all day and then some. I still am turned off by the cheesy ads, but this fragrance is undeniably powerful in a head turning way .

I am sniffing what I sampled earlier today , which has not faded in ten hours. Tomorrow I will march back and buy a bottle .I am a fan of classy orientals like Coco , Opium, and Euphoria , which are timeless classics. Euphoria , another Calvin Klein , is a fragrance that yields endless compliments , projects well, and lasts and lasts in a sultry way also. This one has a vanilla and musk vibe that is perfect and SOPHISTICATED.

Euphoria and Obsession are fabulous buys for the money !

Popular Fragrances