Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream (Night)

4.2

Water, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Dimethicone, Camellia Oleifera Extract, Retinol, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 20, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, BHT, Carbomer.

on 4/26/2015 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I am really glad I found this product. I have been on a hunt for a new retinol product ever since my favorite Roc serum (blue bottle) was discontinued. It never fails, so far, every single product that has become my favorite eventually gets discontinued or the formula changes. Very very frustrating, especially because my skin is so picky and it takes forever for me to find a product that my skin tolerates, much less likes. My skin even doesn't like Hyaluronic acid for some reason, it makes me break out even though it's water-based but they put that in a ton of retinol products. This is one of the few where HA was not added. I bought this at Walmart for around $12, which is the cheapest I have ever spent on a retinol product and the best part is this works! I was previously using a retinol product by Exuviance which costs around $70-80 and I wasn't crazy about it. I finished the tube but I did get some slight breakouts with it. With this product from Neutrogena, my skin loved it right away. I have only been using this for a little less than 2 weeks but I know my skin loves it. They say you should wait at least a month or so before you can determine whether your skin adjusts to a product but that's never been the case for me. Either my skin loves something or it doesn't, I've never had a situation where my skin gets worse before better.
Anyways, as soon as I started using this product, my skin started getting soooo smooth. I have to be so careful with my skin or else it breaks out and this has really cleared up the little pesky blemishes that would not disappear with Exuviance. I'm pretty amazed at the clarity of my skin, I think this is even helping with the dark spots I had from previous acne. I was a little scared to try this at first because it is called a cream but it is not greasy at all, it leaves your skin matte and I actually mix a few drops of jojoba oil to add a little more moisture. For me, that works because I'd rather be able to adjust it to suit me than start off with a greasy product that I can't change.
As far as for wrinkles, it is too early to tell if it would prevent/help with wrinkles but I also don't have too many issues in that area because I have taken care of my skin and used retinol products for a while. I'm 34 so I am still fairly young to have major wrinkle issues but I am confident this will help prevent that in the long run since it seems so effective in clearing my skin, which means it's working. I love this product and will continue buying it. Please don't ever change the formula or discontinue!

on 4/5/2015 8:51:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I was living in a land of denial that my skin was finally starting to age/wrinkle. I'm only 38, but I'm starting to get the little crows feet and decided to start with preventative measures first. After reading through various reviews both here at the 'Don't Go to the Makeup Counter Without Me' book, I decided to buy it.

First, I was a bit shocked at how small the tube is for the price. I followed other readers instructions to put this on at night every other day for a while until my skin gets used to it. I have eczema prone skin, and it stings a bit, but it goes away.

I will say this - I can tell a difference. The biggest telltale sign is how I look without makeup on. A bigger difference is how much foundation I use now - not much at all!

I still use this about every other night instead of nightly for now.

The biggest tell tale sign came when our family took a long weekend vacation and I chose to just bring my daily moisturiser along. At the end of the trip my skin was rough and my eczema patches has returned. Two evenings of using this cleared it up again. Would differently buy again!

on 2/9/2015 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

this is the very first retinol product I ever purchased and I like it. It irritated my skin only slightly in the beginning, which seems to be perfectly normal for retinol creams. It leaves me skin soft and plump. I cannot really tell if it reduces wrinkles because I donīt have any yet and am only using it for prevention. Overall, I will keep using it for a while.

on 1/29/2015 11:59:00 PM

I used to use this years ago but then they jacked up the price. Decided to get it again and yep it is still as great today as back in the day. Pricey for a drugstore skin cream but it does work wonders.

on 1/29/2015 10:49:00 PM

HOLY LIVING SHlT! THE SKEPTIC IN ME ALMOST DIED! Will continue to use, will continue to buy.

Brief history of my skin before. I have combination skin with an extremely oily T-zone that miraculously is also extremely dry and flaky. I had black heads everywhere that despite using AHA's, and my trusty comadone extractor, they just kept on coming back in force. I've been cleaning my skin products out of anything harsh, with dyes, perfumes, parabens, alcohols ect. ect. ect. ... I'm not a hippy, but something had to be done. My skin was driving me crazy. All that, and I was also starting to get fine lines under my eyes IN MY 20's! WTF? I rub my eyes all the time I guess :/ I eat healthy food, drink lots of water, I run, I work out, I have a good skin routine. I had reached a plateau in skin quality it had seemed.

So I looked into getting a product for bad acne, blackheads, oily skin, and flaking. Low and behold, I find Retinol. Retinol helps with all of these problems, including fine lines. Lucky me. You can get Retinol in prescription products, but they're expensive and you have to go see a doc, and other brands use jar packing which allow the active ingredients to break down (waste of money).

So I found out that this product has Retinol in it, in fairly high concentrations, for like... $24. Cheaper than my Olay Regenerist that I had been using for my dry skin, and concidering that other anti aging products with Retinol can push you between $60-140, I'll say it's a good deal.

All I have to say is... holy crap ladies. Holy crap. My skin is awesome. It's been a weak. I'm not wearing foundation half the time, I don't need it. I've found that my black heads have significantly decreased, and those in my worst zones are extremely superficial and were so easy to get out. I would suggest that you read up on Retinol to see what it does. Because it's awesome, old person skin or not. I'm so happy! I've had ONE zit! ONE!

Though I will advise, Retinol can be hard on people's skin. You have to SLOWLY introduce it to your skin. For the first few days I was mixing it in with my normal gentle moisturizers, and patting skin friendly oil over top so I wouldn't dry out. I still mix it in for the day into my moisturizers and sunscreen, but at night, I put it right over top of my serums.

It absorbs fast and isn't greasy. But that can be bad if you have dry skin. It WILL dry you out, and if you let that happen, you will get red, itchy, flaking skin. Prevent this with either a good moisturizer, or skin oil. Surprisingly cold pressed EVOO works fine for this. Slowly introduce it to your skin by mixing small amounts into your normal sensitive skin moisturizer, gently increasing the mix as your skin can tolerate.

Final product I've seen. Clear happy skin, almost no blackheads, no more break outs, the fine lines under my eyes are almost gone.

I would definitely recommend this product to people who have any of the concerns I mentioned above. It works. I haven't seen fast results like this like... ever. Read my other reviews, I'm not usually anywhere this kind with products, even if I like them. This is truly a first.

Overall 5/5
Price 5/5 (considering it's an anti-aging product with active retinol)
Packaging 5/5 (light proof, air tight tube to protect active ingredients)
Will buy again.

on 1/17/2015 10:12:00 AM

I am on my third tube of this. I use a different brand of moisturizer in the morning (the day lotion like this made me break out.) I tend to break out pretty easily, but having a night routine of double washing and using my clarisonic, then finish up with this, my skin is actually looking very clear. I really don't know about the "anti-wrinkle" properties, I am just getting to the age where wrinkles are starting to show up, but like others I have read that this is one of the best drugstore retinol moisturizers and it is working well for me so far!

on 12/5/2014 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Acne-scarred sisters and brothers, rejoice! A pea-sized amount every night after a shower does the trick!

I don't know when--definitely a few months back, but I discovered retinoids/retinols as a possible cure to help lighten acne scars and smooth out uneven skin texture and skintone. Skinacea, maybe? Dark spots and scars have been a problem for me for two years now--the flare-ups are gone but the damage had been done. So off I went to Paula's Choice to look up products with the best ratings under the Retinol category -- and this night cream came up as one of the best for the price.

For the things I've done to lighten the scars: lemon juice, Sudocrem (which I still use for the occasional pesky zit), PMD, glycolic acid masques... this cream did more in a week alone than sticking to a regime with the above. If I could quantify it, I'd say my scars lightened up by 70%? They were still there--faded, but not glaringly obvious. I also use this cream in conjunction with the advanced toner moisturizer (also in the Paula's Choice Best Retinols list) in the morning since your skin becomes sensitive as its peeling due to the retinol.

It will sting on first application, and your skin might peel and redden over the next few days. Once you start using it nightly for a while, the cream just melts onto your face when you work it in! I'm almost at the end of my second tube and it doesn't burn anymore (I also started using an AHA serum exfoliant from Alpha Hydroxat night before the night cream) and I'm seeing less results. Probably because my skin has adapted to the ingredients, and are now less effective.

Yes, a pea-size is all you need. It spreads thinly, but I think after using a bit more cream at night made it work less? The results weren't as drastic, I mean.

I'll definitely be looking into products with higher concentrations of retinol now, now that my skin can't get better without it!

on 11/11/2014 5:54:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After seeing all the great reviews on many different sites I decided to give this a try, worst decision ever for me. After applying for one night only I broke out in a eczema type rash all over my face and my neck along my jawline. I do believe it was my skin that just didnt like this and I have learned my lesson and will spot test new products from now on. Just be cautious if you have sensetive skin.

on 10/22/2014 6:47:00 PM

BEST for your buck! The metal tube supposedly keeps the retinol stable. I've had bad reactions to retinol products in the past but this one is just right. Not to harsh but still effective. Great night cream and very moisturizing. Will use long term.

on 10/10/2014 8:10:00 PM

My skin is a giant pain in the butt: super dry in spots, super oily in spots, hyperpigmentation, congestion, sensitive...it pretty much blows. My main goal with this was to prevent wrinkles, but it will be years before I know how well it worked for that (I'm 26). However, I have been using this for 5 months now and do notice a difference in my skin. It's not a miracle (my skin still kind of blows) but overall, it's better. This cream is moisturizing without being oily. It absorbs well and spreads easily. I use it on my whole face (including around my eyes) and have had no issues with dryness or redness. I put this on every night and have had no irritation. After 5 months of nightly use, I'm still on my first tube. I would highly recommend this. I think it will be good for the long term, but honestly I have skipped a couple of nights, and I can tell the next day. Fantastic.

Popular Moisturizers