April 19, 2014 | 1831 users online

Styling Products - Curly Hair Solutions - Curl Keeper

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2013 5:37:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I was rather disappointed in this product and couldn't get it to work for me. I am thinking my hair is just not a fan of that much glycerin. This did not reduce frizz any more or any less than the gels I typically use... but it made my hair too soft and a bit limp and didn't provide enough hold for me. Even when used with a gel over top, this product seemed to partially negate the holding effects of the gel. Weird. I know a lot of people love this stuff, but it did not work for my 2b/2c hair- even after trying it a few different ways with different amounts. Plus it is a bit pricey and hard to get (online only in the US). I think LA Looks hair gel works better and it less than $2 for a HUGE container. Not worth it for me (and I had high hopes). :(

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2013 6:00:00 AM More reviews by Jane_Dewey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Edit and Update 9/14/2913:

The glycerin in this just wasn't controlling the frizz for me, and oddly the product started to dry my hair out. I stopped using this and started using the Bio-Herbal Sculpting Gel by Batia and Aleeza.

Hair Type:

3a/b

This works for my hair when I apply about a quarter size amount on sopping wet hair, and then apply the Curly Hair Solutions gel over it. I also use the Slip Detangler spray before I apply Curl Keeper. I want to try the Silk Leave In Conditioner by this brand, also.

I let my hair completely air dry or use a diffuser for about 5 minutes. I then scrunch out any crunch when it's dry.

I get second and third day hair with this by just spritzing some water on my hair and doing a little scrunching and reshaping the curls.

I tried this product twice before and hated it. I have to apply it to sopping wet hair, and I also have to apply the gel over it. I haven't tried it with a less expensive gel because I get such great curls from the Curly Hair Solutions gel.

As for frizz, I still get a bit of halo frizz, but it doesn't look like the frizz that I get when I try to straighten my hair.

I get great curl formation from this product, and second and third day hair. I could probably just wash and style my hair once a week with this, using a spray bottle to spritz water on it because water does reactivate the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by PFLovee

Thanks to this product, I finally can accept and love my curly hair! I am a 3B curly girl and when I use CurlKeeper, I receive so many compliments on my hair. It keeps me frizz-free especially in this unpredictable Chicago weather. Summer or Winter, I can achieve beautifully defined curls. along with my Leave-in and gel! I am so satisfied with this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by nance8979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have tried many, many frizz reducing serums over the years for my thick curly hair, but this is the only one that works consistently. Whether i's humid or dry, Curl Keeper really does reduce frizz for me. The key is to comb it through your hair when applying it. It is a bit pricey, but you can buy the huge 33 oz bottle on Amazon and save a ton.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by MariahB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I AM SO AMAZINGLY THRILLED WITH THIS PRODUCT!

My hairdresser (whom I've mentioned before in my previous posts...she's fabulous) recommended this product to mom, sister, and myself. We all have very thick wavy hair. My mother's hair is super gorgeous....but SUPER WILD.

This product works wonders. It tames the curls (keeping the curl, but getting rid of the frizz) and it does not weigh my (our) hair down what-so-ever! Most other creams/mousses/oils weigh down hair so much. I've found that this product does the exact opposite...It is very lightweight.

The product is colourless with a slight scent (pleasant) and goes A LONG WAY! I used less than size of a quarter (coin) on my wet hair and then go to bed. Voila! I wake up with beautiful locks.

This product is pretty reasonably priced. It is salon quality. You can only get it at beauty supply stores or at salons. It is about $30-$35 CDN for a 1L bottle...Which (between the three of us) has lasted a super long time!

A really cool feature about this product is that it can be "reactivated" by simply dampening your hair. Unlike other hair products...It doesn't end up sticky and gooey (even on your hands, which leaves them feeling greasy and gross).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by Princess2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A fabulous products that keeps my hair controlled! if I don't use this, my hair is truly wild :-) Because it is water based I can use it every single day without any buildup. It is especially good when I travel in humid areas. My hair look stylish and under control! It is an easy bottle to travel with.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2012 11:59:00 AM More reviews by kstahler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have whitey 2b-c long hair, fine but wavy/curly, and the right magic can give me springy Ss and coils. I am constantly on the hunt for the product and routine which will consistently do this, but the weather keeps changing, and I am a bit lazy. Btw, I read that the ingredients in this are very similar to water-based personal lubricant, and it is true, but those seem to have parabens, which this doesn't. (Why are parabens on any product for your body or hair???)

My other fave products are Jessicurl. But I love Jonathan's videos, and the site gives you a shipping discount sometimes (right as you are about to click away because of $8 shipping for one 8 oz item).

My first try with this, combing it through soaking wet hair and basically letting it dry has gone pretty well, and I can't wait to see how it works reactivated. I use Jonathan's (great!) clips to lift my hair at the part while air drying. I got lots of s-curls with hardly any scrunching or touching. I will try some of the other techniques from his videos, but I like that none of them are rocket science nor do they require electric styling tools such as blowdryers or irons.

I used it without adding any gel, and I still got a lot of curl that seems to last. I will be adding gel over the CK next to see if I can tighten the curls.

Just like all the products I love, the costs are reasonable for something this good, but the shipping, sheesh. So I tend to only buy where there is a sale or coupon and use lesser stuff in between.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by babymia647

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

HG for summer/spring...the glycerine dries out my hair in the winter time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2012 10:18:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Like most curlies, I tend to be a product junkie, always on the hunt for the one product that will make my hair look perfect every day. Curl Keeper comes close. .

I replaced the cap with a pump top - way easier to use with slick hands - and I use approximately three tablespoons of product total on my shoulder length 3B hair. Although I have done the twist-and-curl method from the company's video, I've found I can get similar - and faster - results by simply scrunching big handfuls of hair from the ends to the scalp. My curls dry very seperated and moderately crunchy, but the crunchiness scrunches out easily. And it reactivates well the next day when I wet it the next day or for touch-ups.

I bought the liter size bottle and refill the 8-oz. bottle (with the pump) that I keep on the counter. Although I have continued to use up my other products, I keep going back to the Curl Keeper, so I know I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:17:00 PM More reviews by Audrey0

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

If you have frizzy, curly hair, you should give this a go, hands-down. I say, don't fight your curls, embrace them. Straight haired girls, I don't know if this potion is for you, but for the 'curlies', I can't say enough about this product. I have gone through several enormous bottles over the last 8 years. For reference, I have a mixture of wavy to curly hair and it is very thick and heavy. It has the potential of looking very bad 1980's; let's just put it that way. I use a very low sulfate shampoo and avoid all silicones.
I read Lorraine Massey's cult classic, "Curly GIrl" book 10 years ago and ever since I have been on the hunt for the perfect cocktail of products and the perfect haircut. BTW, that's hard to find in my small city. So I end up going to Devachan salon in NYC once a year and that's worth it to me. But back to the Curl Keeper...
FIrst of all, you have to get a great hair cut or all the products in the world are going to fall short. Secondly, you have to apply products to curly hair in a very specific way to reduce/eliminate frizz - you can't just throw it in there. That said, even if your haircut is less than perfect, this stuff will make a difference, with the proper distribution. I use it alone or with various 'holding' (read- sticky or may dry crunchy) products. Some examples: Curl Keeper + Devachan gel. Curl Keeper + Curlisto Bio-Gel mousse. Curl Keeper + Jessicurl Confident Coils. You really need to find out what type of curl you have, to estimate how heavy of a holding product you want to use, or how heavy you want your conditioner to be, for that matter.
I get compliments all the time on my hair. I hesitate to share my secrets (that I stole from Jessicurl videos), but you ladies and gents deserve it if you're sharing yours on MUA. After your shower, while your hair is still soaking wet, hold your head upside down, distribute your products in with your fingers then on the ends in a squeezing manner up towards your scalp. Accordion your hair as it hangs upside down into a microfiber towel, secure it and then you can stand back up and go about your morning/evening. After a while (at least 15 min) remove the towel, then diffuse dry your hair upside down. If there are any crunchy areas, just squeeze those areas gently and the crunchy-wet look goes away.
Curl Keeper does not contain silicones and thus washes out without the need for sulfate containing shampoo which dries out your hair and creates more frizz. I have used sooooooooo many different curly hair products. I keep coming back to Curl Keeper, though. And for those interested in natural products, the Jessicurl products are fantastic. And Curlisto Bio-Gel mousse. I also like Giovanni's hair products, which you can get at Target. The other ones are all on-line. Good luck!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No