MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 6/27/2015 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

At $27, this is such a great value for a powder foundation. It provides medium coverage which you can control - experiment with a brush as well as the sponge that is included.

I am really happy that MAC has kept this in the line since the 90s and even kept my perfect shade N3. The original color system was N for neutral and C for cool, and then later the color range was expanded in the hopes of accommodating more skin tones, hence the NC and NW system they use now. But I'm still N3.

As with all pressed powder foundations, I love how quick and easy they are to apply. This can also be used as a finishing powder (even though it has more coverage than a setting powder) over a sheer tinted moisturizer like Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue.

MAC was smart to make this fragrance free. I always feel that when a cosmetics company comes out with a foundation that contains fragrance, they are really behind the times. Most women don't want their foundation to be scented, and those of us with sensitive skin don't need one more possible irritant - we have enough problems already. MAC has a vanilla scent to the lipsticks but our lips are accustomed to flavors since most of us do eat and drink. I used to buy flavored lip glosses and lip balms before I was allowed to wear lipstick. The rest of MAC's makeup items (powders, eyeshadows, concealers) are fragrance free.

This has a great finish, and holds up well throughout the day. If you have truly oily skin using pressed powders can contribute to acne. This is true of most pressed powders, not just this brand. It is the most common complaint among reviewers who stop using their powder foundation.

I also reviewed the elegant Chantecaille Compact which does have a more skinlike finish than this. Chantecaille doesn't wash out when photographed, in case that is a pet peeve of yours and you're dying to switch. However, remember that Chantecaille is $66 versus $27 for MAC. If you're on a budget and simply can't afford to blow your savings on makeup, Studio Fix is more affordable. The color range in MAC is broad - I'd be shocked if someone couldn't find a decent match.

I've repurchased this several times over the years. I used to keep a spare Studio Fix in my desk at work, and was grateful to have it in my carry-on when I was stranded at the airport one time with no access to my checked baggage.

I find the best way to use Studio Fix (or any other powder foundation) is over a separate product that contains sunscreen. For a while I was using Hourglass Mineral Primer SPF 15, and then I switched to a sunscreen from Paula's Choice that was less expensive. These didn't contain color; just provided SPF. So I'd use a little concealer where needed (under the eyes, the sides of the nose, and/or a blemish I wanted to hide) and finish with powder foundation. Sometimes I need full coverage and then I prefer a liquid foundation. Liquids tend to mesh with the skin better than powders and many are longer-wearing. Liquids are better at hiding acne, and a lightweight liquid is less likely to feel heavy after several hours.

Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation remains a favorite after all these years, and I'm so glad I can still buy the N3 color.

on 6/25/2015 8:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this powder, the colors are the best! The NC35 is a perfect match for me. The coverage is awsome, the only downside for me is that if I use it too many times in a row, it will cause me to breakout like crazy! I wish my skin would love it as much, but I always keep one in my beauty stash for special occasions.

on 6/25/2015 6:49:00 PM

I've been looking for a nice powder foundation to just wear over concealer for the summer since I tend to like minimal makeup and stray away from liquid foundation. I have combination skin and I get pretty oily throughout the day, specifically in my t-zone. However, I enjoy this powder because I stay matte with it. My only issue is sometimes it clings onto patches, sometimes I can see my pores with it and it can have a very powdery look, even with a setting spray (but I don't shave my face or anything and have quite a bit of peach fuzz). I recommend this if you are looking for a powder foundation!

on 6/25/2015 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this powder for four years. Before that I used Estee Lauder which was also good but more costly. I love the coverage and it leaves my skin looking gorgeous. I am an NW25 in Wiinter and NW35 for Summer. I never use the sponge just a really good brush. It is great at controlling shine in the T-Zone and doesn't make my dry cheeks look cakey. I do avoid it in my undereye area as it causes my wrinkles there to become more pronounced but that is the only problem with it for me. I use Nars Loose Setting Powder there. I am fair to medium cool toned and this is my Holy Grail. The price is awesome for what you get.

on 6/24/2015 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is great powder as well as makes amazing bronzer if you get it few shades darker overall good and versatile product

on 6/19/2015 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

This is a good product for when you're on the go.

PROS:
- Very convenient packaging. It comes with a sponge applicator.
- The coverage is good. It's a versatile product that gives medium to full coverage
- I used to use this every day and never broke out in spots or anything. It's good for oily/dry/sensitive skin.
- MAC has a big range of shades available for this product.

CONS:
- You really need to use a brush if you want medium coverage. The sponge applicator only gives a sheer coverage unless you dampen it first.

on 6/19/2015 9:41:00 AM

I am NC 25. Have been using this one on and off for about 15 years. And wasn't able to find a better pressed power. All others ( Estée Lauder, shisheido, Armani, T'le clere ) has less coverage than this one.

When I first used 15? Years ago, I had very oily skin, so much so that , I was being put on accutane a few years later. So, pressed powder, any pressed powder, not MAC in particular, won't work with oily skin. Whatever that hold the powder into a pressed form will gonna hurt your oily skin.

Until recently, I used this with the sponge provided. After I saw this

I apply this with my powder brush ( Shu uemura retractable powder brush), which gives me a slightly less coverage finish ( more natural). I then use my finger to take some powder out, and dab on marks I need to cover, sometimes a few layers on those spots.

Give me a more natural , skin - like look than using the sponge.

So, after 15 years of test driving various pressed powder, this and the Armani one are the only two I will repurchase.

on 6/16/2015 7:40:00 AM

Omg I hate myself for not trying out this product a long time ago. I have been missing out tremendously. Whenever I don't feel like wearing liquid foundation, I'll just use the maybelline concealer with this powder and I'm good to go. This foundation is build able to full coverage and to me it's pretty light weight. It definitely blew the water out of my other high end foundations. This is a must have and must try for others!!!

on 6/15/2015 6:16:00 PM

I was very excited to try this powder after I had purchased the Prolong Wear foundation, but I dont think this suits my skin very well because at first it gives me a nice satin finish, but after 3 hours, my face looks very dewy! I wanted to keep trying it out and used it for 1 week straight and it totally broke me out!

on 6/12/2015 12:44:00 AM

HG Powder. Can not live without. I am NC20.