December 18, 2014 | 1118 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2014 9:59:00 PM More reviews by nadeska07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was tossing up between a 2 or a 3 for this one. It's not a bad product but it didn't suit my skin type and needs.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS IF:

- you're very fair to fair
- you don't suffer from dry or dehydrated skin and
- you like your base products to have yellow undertones - then this may work for you!

It feels a little greasy when first applied but it DRIES (taking my skin's moisture with it!) and goes very matte. This was so drying on my skin (not initially, the dryness became obvious an hour or so later) even with moisturiser underneath. Although I'm an NC15, I didn't like the yellow base as it kinda made me look very slightly sick. Overall, the parched slightly yellow look didn't do much for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by therose12

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great product and wonderful for those who are fair skinned as you can you use this as a foundation if you apply Clinique blended face powder( I use # 8) to set it and it is great for a very natural look. If you need more coverage then this is a great primer for your foundation, I use it under perfectly real and love it!

A plus is for those with Rosacea like me, it is very gentle on your skin and I use Take the Day Off Balm, which removes it very easily and without a trace of sunscreen...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 2:10:00 PM More reviews by jmmaldonadobruin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this product because I am scared to not wear sunscreen for aging and cancer reasons. I had tried a higher SPF Shiseido sunscreen and it broke me out like crazy. Iíve never had problems with acne, not even in my teenager years. Maybe a couple pimples here or there, but nothing a little drugstore fix couldnít take care of. Two days of using the Shiseido sunscreen and I was broken out all over my cheeks. Not just small, little bumps, but large, red, painful puss filled pimples. I found Clinique Cityblock SPF 25 and wanted to give it a try because Clinique has a reputation for being good for your skin and it was a much lower SPF than the Shiseido one I was previously using. I originally used the Shiseido one because my mother uses it and she LOVES all their products, sheís never had a problem with the Shiseido line.

Switched to the Clinique one and noticed that the acne decreased significantly, but I still had pimples popping up on my face more than I ever had before. It was getting so bad I was becoming to self conscious of my face, and Iíve never felt that way regarding acne on my face. All throughout college I never wore makeup, so you can imagine my nightmare with an acne filled face.

Pros: sunscreen is a nude color as opposed to a white color like most sunscreens. It lies really nicely under makeup. I would wash my face, serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, and then a primer and it never affected the application or longevity of my makeup. The tube was $25, didnít need a lot of sunscreen for an entire face. Iíve had it for two months now and I doubt that it is even half empty. I wore it on my face 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend depending on what I was doing.

I finally decided to stop using products in my skincare routine to see what was breaking me out. I had a hunch it was the sunscreen, but I had just introduced a serum and night cream to my routine at the same time (I know, shame on me), so I wanted to be able to make sure it wasnít just the sunscreen. Low and behold, it was the sunscreen. Made me sad because I spent $25 on the sunscreen and the sunscreen itself was a nude color instead of a white color, which is a pro for me.

One random thing I noticed, I didnít feel that the sunscreen left a white cast on my face especially since it was a very nude shade, but when I started wearing the sunscreen, I had to start mixing in a pump of darker foundation so that my face didnít look so white in pictures. I thought maybe it was just because it was getting hot and sunny in San Diego and I had tanned a little bit. It was only when I stopped using the sunscreen and kept mixing the darker foundation with my regular foundation that I noticed that the mixed foundation was too dark for my face. I didnít notice in my house when applying my makeup, but when I got to work two of my coworkers said I had a nice tan, LOL.

Sad to let this one go, but time to find the next one.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Immissvixen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love Clinique cosmetic, but this product didnt suit me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by e1e

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My go-to-daily-sunscreen. I have been using this almost daily since I was 19. I like it because it is a physical sunblock, it is longer lasting then chemical sunscreen and can be used around the eye area. I'm very happy with the finish, it looks almost like the Korean cc cream without the shiny T zone.
It is a board spectrum physical block. It provides a bit of hydration, it is not a 'weight-less' sunscreen, which is fine for the dry summer in Australia. I won't use it when I visit a more humid area though.
The hint is just right for my NC25 skin tone. It has cc cream effect without the shine.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by scm240

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've recently been trying to educate myself on skincare ingredients. No, it's not about freeing myself of oh-so-scary chemicals and lab-created concoctions, but rather ingredients that sensitizing, unnecessary or damaging skin underneath its surface. I take time to research ingredients and have rid my skincare of anything with fragrance.

Especially because this is a gentle sunscreen, I had high hopes, but even with my sensitive and sometimes-reactive skin, this was the only sunscreen I've ever used (baby, sport, lots of drugstore options) that actually stung and burned my skin. I was definitely confused and kept using it, only to have the same uncomfortable results.

I don't mind the shiny sunscreen look under makeup because I think its dewiness shows through nicely. But this made me feel greasy and the one-shade-fits-all tinted color did not blend well with my NW10/NARS Siberia skin tone.

It also separated in the tub which is not a huge deal (the packaging is great to get every last drop as a squeeze tube), but it was hard to shake up inside there due to the thick texture, so it was gross and oily coming out sometimes. I did not find it moisturizing enough to wear without my daily moisturizer underneath, either.

Overall, might be a great option for people with less sensitive skin than mine and a light-to-medium skintone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this to use in rotation with my other Clinique SS (Clinique Even Better SPF 45) and I have to say I really do not like this compared to it. It is a lot thicker than Even Better, and tends to dry my skin out too. I do like the fact its tinted, and is a physical only SS (I double checked the ingredients) but every time I wear it I can feel the moisture being sucked right out of my skin. I can only use this if I really pile on products before using it - but this can make everything either separate or just slip into my pores. i also cannot get the full 1/4tsp on my face - its way too thick and I cannot even build it up, so this can only get used when I spend barely any time outside. I will use it up but not repurchase and I will just stick to the Even Better, despite its high price for the amount you get. (City Block is £18 for 40ml whereas Even Better is £26 for 30ml).

Edit: Just no. I couldn't even try and use it up. I was able to exchange it thankfully.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by ShiMakeup

Bought this a second time after a loooong time and very quickly realized it makes my foundation seperate and my skin oily. I love the texture, the packaging ,and the feel. also the ingredients. I really wanted to love this product but it makes my face into a mess :( ill still finish the tube but unfortunately cant buy again. Pooo

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by worrly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried this tube off and on over the years and I'm still on the fence about this. I used to love Clinique in my 20s. I loved that it's fragrance free and supposedly hypoallergenic but that can depend on what your skin reacts to. I loved the clean minimal look and the SA in their lab coats but especially the GWP which always suckered me in for stuff I didn't need. They also have the best prices for a department store line.

This goes on with a tint which worked okay for my now :( medium skin tone (Maybelline Buff) and evened my skin but isn't full coverage. Sometimes it feels really drying on my face and is really matte so any makeup afterwards looks chalky. I think it depend on how hot the weather is as today it went on smoothly, my face looks semi-matte. I think it works best as a primer.

However, I used City Block off and on over the years and it always burns my face! I can't figure out what ingredient is causing the burning sensation. The only thing that could be a problem is the gentian or rosemary extract which is really high on the list. It also separates over time and even with shaking it doesn't go back to normal. The tube needs to be used up as next year it might be oily on top so I suppose that is why today it is not drying on my skin. It does cause breakouts but I'm careful to pat not rub it on.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2014 4:19:00 AM More reviews by VeryAroma

Shame on Clinique! I tried the City Block 25 and am loving it. The slight tint, the feel on my skin - all very pleasant.
Now I have to find out that the European version of this DOES NOT contain zinc oxide and therefore has very little UV-A protection. I am bummed and will not repurchase unless I can get my hands on the US-version. Really Clinique, this sucks!