April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Lexieloveee

Great for acne

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 8:02:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OK this review is for the boxes of individually wrapped Face Peel towelettes, which I bought because some of the reviewers mentioned the less expensive towelettes in one jar tended to dry out. I bought these because I've got really bad hyper pigmentation from birth control pills. I started with using Clarisonic and that wasn't enough exfoliation to clear it up so I thought I'd give this a try. I found this product gentle enough to use every day and it definitely faded my marks but it is hella expensive. I tried Peter Thomas Roth's Unwrinkle pads after finishing my box of Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel pads and I found the product similar effective for a fraction of the price. Granted, I started with this product but the results are not different enough for it to be worth my continuing to buy it. When I finish my jar of PTR's Unwrinkle pads, I'm going to give Paula's Choice products a try - they're even less expensive!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Crystalnurse

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So far I love these. I have the extra strength pad that are in the single use packets. I get 4 days out of each set. When I open the packet I carefully cut the top off. Take out the folded pad and cut it into 4 pieces. Use one and rewrap the other 3 in the foil packet it came in. I then put it in a small sealed plastic baggy.

I also found them on eBay. Much cheaper...30 pad sets for $55.00. When used my way, that makes them 120 days worth for $55.00. 45 cents a day....

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this as a gift--I would never have paid $85 for it.

HOWEVER, I've only been using it for 3 nights and I have to say, this is pretty amazing stuff.

I tried cutting the pads in half per other MUA reviewers' suggestion, but it was just too difficult because the half-pad balled up and was difficult to deal with. So I've been using the full pads, once per day (at night after I shower), and following with Peter Thomas Roth's Oilless Oil (100% squalane) to moisturize (since you can't use anything with alcohol in it after that).

A lot of experts would probably hate this formula, because it has denatured alcohol as one of the first ingredients in the Step 1 pads. I was scared, too, but didn't want to waste such an expensive gift. In spite of the alcohol, these--in combo with the PTR oilless oil--have not dried out my skin. This is rare, since most acne treatments, BHAs, and AHAs dry my skin out and irritate it very badly. (Alpha Hydrox products burn and sting and turn my face red, for example.) But, when I was in my 20s, I used Oxy Pads which also have alcohol, and back then I felt my skin responded very well to those (before my skin was sensitized from overmedicating it trying to kill random adult acne cysts). So I know alcohol is deoxidizing and causes free radical damage, but in the short term, some products with tons of alcohol (like this one) actually work really well.

I notice after putting this on that my skin is immediately more "glowy," and the next morning (again with the oilless oil on top) it feels so smooth.

What's extra wonderful is that I THINK it's already (in 2-3 uses) starting to smooth out the annoying, stubborn white and blackhead bumps around my chin and mouth ("parentheses" area) that have been cropping up over the last year or so. NOTHING else has been able to touch these--not Paula's Choice products (I tried them ALL), not Alpha Hydrox, not Neutrogena retinol products, nothing. So this in itself may make these worth the splurge.

My skin tone also looks more even. I only need tinted moisturizer (I use oil-free Laura Mercier) and some blotting powder (Urban Decay Deslick powder) with concealer for blemishes and small spots (Urban Decay 24/7 pencil in CIA), whereas before I needed a full foundation.

Probably my favorite thing about these is that, while they may not really be "acne-fighting," I feel like the BHA and AHA combo is working well (so far) to dry up/heal the 4 or 5 giant blemishes on my face while fading old acne marks. I also have not had a new zit in the morning for the 2-3 days I've been using these; before, I was getting a new one every. single. day. So hopefully this is what's helping (plus the oilless oil, I'm sure, since overdrying can cause even more breakouts).

I know this sounds crazy since it's only been a couple of days, and maybe I'm biased since I want so badly to find a good product after wasting literally thousands of dollars over the past few years to try to get my skin under control, but it's really amazing so far.

When I run out, I'm not sure if I'll have $85/month to keep repurchasing, but maybe I'll look into something similar like PTR Unwrinkle Pads (about 1/4 the price when comparing amounts directly).

The last thing I will add is that these pads have simplifed my routine. With Paula's Choice, I was told I needed at least 5 different products in my morning and night routine (with some different ones at night, placing the total closer to 10). That's a lot of time, and when you think about it, even 10 $10 products is actually more expensive than just using this and a moisturizer/oil. I like that I can cleanse, swipe these, and throw on the oil at night and I'm done! In the morning I just use cleansing wipes (currently Boots Expert wipes for Sensitive Skin) and put on my tinted moisturizer. Incredibly simple routine, especially compared to the one suggested by many other product lines.

*If this starts to cause irritation, sensitization, or breakouts, I will update! But none so far.
----

UPDATE 2/25/14: I took a break from these for a while because, to be honest, I didn't want to fall in love with something I could not afford to repurchase. One night, I felt like these were making my face oilier, but I think it was from other products. I was also reticent to buy in fully, since Paula Begoun loves to say jar packaging makes ingredients unstable. But, I started them up again a few days ago (same jar...over 3 months later) and they are right back to making me look glowy and smooth. In the meantime, I've tried lots of other peels, products, AHAs, BHAs, etc., and this is the best one. PTR Unwrinkle pads are a close second and may be what I'll have to buy when these run out. Seeing as these still deliver results after being opened over 3 months, I'm not sure I trust Paula's insistence that jar packaging is always bad. I believe the chemistry of it, but there's something in these that is DEFINITELY still working. (These work way better than the over $700 worth of Paula's Choice products I tried in the meantime, by the way).

4/13/14 update...it does work for about a day. Then makes my face oilier the next day. Boo. Threw the rest out. Too expensive to have to guess and experiment with.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by rurubell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This review is for the 30-day version that comes in individual packs (easy for travel). The packaging for that one is nice in case you want to grab a couple to go for a trip.

Price: VERY EXPENSIVE. Whether or not its worth it depends on your skin and I suppose you won't know until you try. I read the reviews and while I saw a sprinkling of 3-star MEH reviews, it seems you either LOVED it or it destroyed you. I also understood that for peels there's a certain amount of purging and a 1-2 time sample isn't really enough to evaluate effects. So i bought the 30-day size, hoping I fell into the group of people it worked wonders for.

Well I was wrong. It was awful for my skin. And I stayed the course hoping any purging would eventually subside. The first week was great--skin seemed clearer, pores were tighter, face had a nice glow. I was excited about finding a great product. But then starting around week 2, problems began. I have oily skin, but I'm not really acne prone...1 or 2 might pop on occasion--I make sure to always cleanse my skin well. I almost never wear makeup and use a clarisonic brush in the evenings. Well starting the 2nd week, while I was using this, new pimples were cropping up daily. All around my jawline, chin, nose. White-watery kind, and cystic kind. I was getting them in places I NEVER had pimples before--under my eye (WTH???), in my eyebrows (I've only had this once ever when I was a teen...and then 2 big painful cystic ones in the span of a week), even one or 2 in my hairline (again, WTH?? this has never happened before). I tried to keep up the routine but as the 30-day pack was coming to an end, it seemed more and more clear, this wasn't going to resolve itself. My skin paid the price of my 'experiment'. I am now using gentler all-natural Yonka products to calm my skin back down. Its not like you stop using the pads and your skin will stop breaking out right away. Even after I stopped, while the breakouts seemed to slow down...it still happening. Looks like it'll take some time to get it back to normal. My face hasn't looked this bad in like 15 years.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Amazing, wonderful product. Makes my skin feel so good! Clean and fresh and smooth. Can't live without this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

This is a FANTASTIC PRODUCT! There is nothing better on the market thus far in terms of hormonal acne break out solution. I have never tried the X-strength formulated pads, as I had stellar effects with the original ones. I bought the 60 pad containers of each, step 1 and step 2.

They come in two plastic tubs meant to last 2 months. I do not use these religiously every day. So, this product lasts me anywhere from 3-5 months. Considering the huge price tag of these pads, this puts things into perspective. It doesn't come out to cost as much as one would think. In general, I only use these pads when I get an excessive breakout that I cannot control. These pads are strong, and I would rather try to manage other factors first. I use the pads once a day in the morning. However, I usually start application every day for the first week. Then, I do about once ever 2 or 3 days until product finish. I notice the effects immediately first couple weeks. Then, I give more time for the body to heal itself between application. I purchase about once a year, price varies but around $100.

You should expect photo sensitivity. So, I liberally apply daily moisturizer with SPF 15+ every morning. Night cream, paraben free, before bedtime. Eye cream. And that is it. DO NOT USE A TONER, that eliminates the point of this product.

I will continue to use this product on an as needed basis. It is the greatest thing for hormonal acne. I advise against trying to prolong use by cutting the pads. You really do need that amount of product on your face and not half of it. Also, you really should not use these pads beyond 6 months after opening them. They dry out!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Netty12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Omg no never again. I used these once woke up with little white bumpd all over my cheeks &i forehead and my fave is completely red..ughhh i hate this stuff!! Glad it worked out for some ppl wish it would have for me :/

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by holychiller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have had medium-severe hormonal cystic acne for the past few years and have not been able to get it under control until very recently. I have very sensitive skin prone to redness and irritation, and I've tried Cetaphil, CeraVe, Spectro-Gel, also the Oil cleansing method (as well as many, many other cleansers/products). All previous products have severely irritated my face or caused more blemishes.
Currently my routine is awesome, skin looks great! I am hesitant to switch out any product as it is working so well.

Morning: wash face with water only OR Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser if needed, moisturize with Spectro HydraCare Facial Moisturizer (I feel like I could find a better moisturizer, not 100% happy with this one)

Evening: Alcohol-Free Makeup Remover wipe followed by Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash on EVEN DAYS

Alcohol-Free Makeup Remover wipe followed by Dr Dennis Gross Alpha-Beta Peel on ODD DAYS
I never use both the exfoliating wash and the peel on the same day as it is too intense!
Also a tiny dab of Murad Acne Spot Treatment if I see the beginnings of a breakout

Also I have started (1 month ago) taking Tetracycline which definitely also makes a difference.

The Dr Dennis Gross Peel has made an immediately obvious impact on my skin, existing blemishes healed very quickly, old scarring (mostly in the cheek area) is disappearing quickly, and I have had very very few cystic spots. My skin looks very bright and healthy.
Essentially my skin went from needing to wear full makeup every day to cover existing spots and scarring to being able to wear just a tiny bit of concealer.

Positive:
good for sensitive skin
good for acne prone skin
convenient travel packaging
easy (however there is some waiting time so not "quick")
stopped breakouts
evened skin tone
reduced scarring
no redness after application

Negative:
expensive - but honestly I don't even care because I have bought so many products in the past that don't work for me so I'm just happy to have something that works!!
stings when applied - maybe would be annoying/painful to some but it doesn't really bother me

I will continue to buy this product to maintain my now healthy skin!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by MeWriter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

My skin is in pretty good shape except for the occasional cystic acne reaction, some spots and congested pores in t-zone. This product is such an efficient exfoliator without giving me flaky or peeling skin in certain areas. I use it 2-3 times a week and it has helped immensely. Any acne I might have goes away, the spots have lighted or disappeared and my pores are in much better shape. It is pricey, but it really works.